Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Am I the only one excited about the game but entirely turned off by the really OBVIOUS GREED that comes with the sale of these ship packages?

Every ship being sold in those packages can be bought with in game credits earned by running missions. In fact playing through the single player campaign missions will earn you more than enough credits to buy yourself a basic ship (rumored to be the Aurora).

The retail version of the game will cost $60 (released in 2015) but the cheapest digital package (available now) with an Aurora ship included is only $35 (trough an Original backer such as myself) giving you access to the hangar module (going live end of next month), alpha, beta and everything in between. Once the hangar module goes live it won't stop. They won't take it offline, they'll just keep patching it and updating it as progress is made and new features are implemented. They also mentioned they'll have a "Hangar of the Week" featured on Wingman's Hangar.

Here is a list of all the stretch goals to see what you'll be getting for pledging: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stretch_goals

If anyone needs further convincing I'm willing to put up $5 of my own money for each person buying a package through me. Yes that's right, I'm paying you $5 to get in this bitch. We're really close to the $15 million goal and every little bit will help. PM me for details.

The Vanduul are the Kilrathi of Star Citizen.

HVhDY8H.jpg
6rAu2rG.jpg

wYQCDdg.jpg

heh, i hope there is not too much hand to hand with those guys.

They'll go out of their way to get in close - their culture has a huge, nearly religious dedication to knives and blades (There's some lore written that there is even a "chapel" found in a Vanduul carrier that had stained-glass artwork of the blade owned by the carrier's commander...who also had a collection of bleached human armbones in his ready room). Even that ship pictured there, the coveted Vanduul Scythe fighter (which will only be captured, not able to be bought in-game, nor is it insurable under normal circumstances. Only those who buy them prior to launch will have them insured, and with LTI no less. Sadly, we don't know if any more will be for sale. There was one issue of 300 ships sold for $300 each in the closing days of the Nov Crowdfunding last year and it is the only ship from that era that has not returned for sale thus far) has that asymmetrical "wing blade" design made for RAMMING into and through enemy ships!

As a funny note, they are reported to use "green tinted video screens" because of how their eyes perceive light, in a nod to the green Kilrathi comms of WingCommander

man i was getting all excited since we are getting close to 15 mill. I was like "YA! free laser pistol!" but then i realized that it was at 16 not 15. now i am sad:(

man i was getting all excited since we are getting close to 15 mill. I was like "YA! free laser pistol!" but then i realized that it was at 16 not 15. now i am sad:(

this game will easily generate 20 mill. it is safe to assume all of the stretch goals will be reached

I wonder if we'll be able to design our own ships?

You can as a mod. If it's a really good ship and popular, they may consider adding it to the game and you can get royalties as in-game currency. Chris mentioned that in one of the videos.

And one of the stretch goals that was met early on was release of a full modding toolkit so people can create total conversions for the game or extra missions, etc. Plus you can run your own private servers with whatever mods you want. There's actually mods for the game already in development.

So can anyone post some videos of combat. Or at least an explinationof the combat? Tried googling it (albeit quickly) and couldn't really find it

Is it like wow, select target and mash ui shortcuts or is it left and right click aim with a cross hair kinda thing?

Its like a flight sim. you cam use hotas and pedals if you like. all skill based. no button mashing or tab targeting.

there aren't any combat videos besides the announcement trailer but that wasnt even alpha, so you can't really take much from that.

Last edited:
Yes, more like flight sim and dogfighting module should be released this year IIRC.

I bought the Digital Bounty Hunter package.

Is anyone going to be getting/using a joystick, flight gadget things (I'm not sure what to call them)? Robert was just playing with a 360 controller. So, just wondering if I should consider them.

Last edited:
welcome To the stars Citizen!

I think i will be using a joystick and pedals i may pick up a hotas set up if i have the cash, don't think its going to give you a huge advantage though. the only thing i would recommend is track ir. which is hugely helpful.

Track ir is the head tracking, right? How does that help?

I was just looking at the Saitek X52 flight control system and the rudder pedals.

Well you can look around very easily while flying. which gives you quite a bit more situational awareness. and basically all flight sim people use it.

any one think the horned brochure is going to be released this week? There is less than a month until gamescon and they said the horned and freelancer brochures. would be released before then.

Last edited:
You can as a mod. If it's a really good ship and popular, they may consider adding it to the game and you can get royalties as in-game currency. Chris mentioned that in one of the videos.

How long will it be before someone designs a Death Star? :)

Track ir is the head tracking, right? How does that help?

I was just looking at the Saitek X52 flight control system and the rudder pedals.

i would wait if i were you to make any joystick purchases. its likely they will support it but i am waiting till we have an official support list and that was the suggestion from Ben Lesnick at RSI as well..

i would wait if i were you to make any joystick purchases. its likely they will support it but i am waiting till we have an official support list and that was the suggestion from Ben Lesnick at RSI as well..

This, indeed. If you already have an expensive stick, it will probably work just fine with Star Citizen but if you don't have a joystick yet, wait. There is even some discussion about there being some sort of branded Star Citizen flightstick (or several of them); it is an idea in high demand on the forum. I'd think it would be awesome if they partnered with someone and created not just a great HOTAS setup, but ideally I'd like to see some multi-function panels. What I'd really like is the ability to use any secondary monitor or device as an in-game display and/or control (w/ touch screen support). It would be awesome to flip out my Nexus 7 with a horizontal alignment, and have an assortment of game-skinned buttons and flight computer data appear on it as if it was a holo-touch cockpit display etc...

So what's the best value package for this right now? Things I'd like are shit you can't get later+ all early access...

It seems like some of those ships are pretty ridiculously awesome... who has done what - and why?

So what's the best value package for this right now? Things I'd like are shit you can't get later+ all early access...

It seems like some of those ships are pretty ridiculously awesome... who has done what - and why?

its just about how much you want to spend and what you want to do.

i think some people are thinking theyre buying a huge headstart but its unlikely the ships are a small incentive to say thank you for supporting a game that isnt out. they're all obtainable in game we dont know how easily but its likely it wont take you 6 months to get a constellation or anything like that.

i spent 110$ on the hornet, i wanted something really good for dogfighting as i am looking at becoming a bounty hunter. its likely i will pledge for another ship in order to focus more on exploration as well.

If you want in the alpha/beta you need a package with them included. You can either get the Digital Bounty Hunter (300i) for $65 off the site yourself right now or get an early backer to buy you a package and gift it to you. The cheapest one of those is the Digital Scout (Aurora) for I think $35 or you can get the 300i package for $60. The early backer packages will have lifetime insurance for the ship, the one off the site has 4 months included. There are several people that backed early willing to buy and gift ships/packages for people for free so don't pay a bunch extra for it. I can do if you can't find one of the regulars to do it.

As others have said, all the current ships for sale will be available for in-game cash, so the package with the alpha/beta access included is the important thing to get IMHO. Note there are non-package ships available too so make sure to have at least one package on your account.

Lorien, I'd love to jump in and help more, but I just was in a wedding that killed a lot of my spending cash :(

Lorien, I'd love to jump in and help more, but I just was in a wedding that killed a lot of my spending cash :(
There's plenty of time, my offer will remain open for the foreseeable future.

holy shit the UEE marines are glassholes:p
It's like a cross between Will Smith and Wesley Snipes. The Fresh Star Prince of Blade

wow the marine looks cool.. are those in game models?
Ya, that's what we'll be seeing in the hangar module.

Every ship being sold in those packages can be bought with in game credits earned by running missions. In fact playing through the single player campaign missions will earn you more than enough credits to buy yourself a basic ship (rumored to be the Aurora).

The retail version of the game will cost $60 (released in 2015) but the cheapest digital package (available now) with an Aurora ship included is only $35 (trough an Original backer such as myself) giving you access to the hangar module (going live end of next month), alpha, beta and everything in between. Once the hangar module goes live it won't stop. They won't take it offline, they'll just keep patching it and updating it as progress is made and new features are implemented. They also mentioned they'll have a "Hangar of the Week" featured on Wingman's Hangar.

Here is a list of all the stretch goals to see what you'll be getting for pledging: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stretch_goals

If anyone needs further convincing I'm willing to put up $5 of my own money for each person buying a package through me. Yes that's right, I'm paying you $5 to get in this bitch. We're really close to the $15 million goal and every little bit will help. PM me for details.

Ill repost this on my clan forum and direct it here. I know a few who might be interested,

i didnt even pay attention to these previous stretch goals

theyre absolutely bad ass

especially this one...

Outside-the-ship combat (magnetic boots on the hull; think Moonraker)

Yeah, they should bring more attention to all the stuff people are getting from pledging. The list of goodies is pretty awesome.

If you want in the alpha/beta you need a package with them included. You can either get the Digital Bounty Hunter (300i) for $65 off the site yourself right now or get an early backer to buy you a package and gift it to you. The cheapest one of those is the Digital Scout (Aurora) for I think $35 or you can get the 300i package for $60. The early backer packages will have lifetime insurance for the ship, the one off the site has 4 months included. There are several people that backed early willing to buy and gift ships/packages for people for free so don't pay a bunch extra for it. I can do if you can't find one of the regulars to do it.

As others have said, all the current ships for sale will be available for in-game cash, so the package with the alpha/beta access included is the important thing to get IMHO. Note there are non-package ships available too so make sure to have at least one package on your account.

I don't really want any "huge edge" it's just about getting access to the beta/alpha and then getting something decent. The cruiser/collosal? ship looked pretty cool but it was pricey.. 110ish I think.

I couldn't find anything that showed you had lifetime insurance? I thought that ended in june according to the kickstarter site?

I couldn't find anything that showed you had lifetime insurance? I thought that ended in june according to the kickstarter site?

Buying a package/ship through me not only saves you money but it gives you a ship with lifetime insurance. Already done this for a bunch of people in this forum and elsewhere.

Edit: I'm also offering $5 out of my pocket to anyone that buys a package through me. So on top of the lowest price possible on packages/ships you get $5 extra off.
Qtc5USb.jpg

veterans and original backers can buy ships and game packages with ships with LTI until late november 2013.

i had Lorien convert a few smaller packages for me today into the $250 Rear Admiral Package.
hes very trustworthy and is an original backer so if you are wanting pledge for the first time pm him to get the ball rolling.

35$ package through lorien should include the alpha/beta access full game and an aurora ship (same ship you get at the beginning of the peristent world portion of the game except you dont have to pay for that ship or take out a loan ingame you get it outright debt free.

is there a place to compare ships? Looking at mabey getting the bounty hunter one with the 300i, is it any better than the aurora and worth the extra cash?

aurora compared to 300i is like night and day, with the 300i being on top.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Aurora
Manufacturer Roberts Space Industries
Maximum Crew 1
Mass (empty) 15–18.5 t
Cargo Capacity 5–10 t
Length 18.5 m
Upgrade Capacity 2–4
Engine Class Fission
Engine Modifiers 2
Main Thrusters 1× TR2 or TR3
Maneuvering Thrusters 8× TR1
Hardpoints Weapons Systems
2× Class 1 Class 1 Weapons Systems
0× Class 2 None
1× Class 3 Class 3 Weapons Systems
0× Class 4 None

300i
Manufacturer Origin Jumpworks GmbH
Focus Touring
Maximum Crew 1
Mass (empty) 20 t
Cargo Capacity 8 t
Dimensions (L×W×H) 24×24.3×10.6 m
Upgrade Capacity 6
Hull Construction metal
Shield Gorgon Defender AllStop
Engine ACOM StarHeart III
Engine Class Fusion
Main Thrusters Hammer Propulsion HE 5.3 (TR3)
Maneuvering Thrusters 12× TR1
Hardpoints Weapons Systems
2× Class 1 Omnisky VI laser cannons
1× Class 2 Nothing equipped
2× Class 3 Nothing equipped

Dont let the TR3 main thruster engine fool you on the 300i because it can be upgraded to a tier 4 which the aurora cant go upto T4

the 300i is like a blank slate, ready for you to outfit and customize to do what ever role you want to do, the 315p is just a 300i that comes standard with gear ready for exploration, and the 325a is just a300i that comes geared for combat. but you can upgrade a 300i in game to do the same or what ever else you might want to do with the ship.

Last edited:
Back