Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I'm beginning to be concerned about this game. Is it Wing Commander? Is it Freelancer? Or is it first-person Eve Online?

I'm beginning to be concerned about this game. Is it Wing Commander? Is it Freelancer? Or is it first-person Eve Online?

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Star Citizen is

Dodging the hail of fire coming from the couple dozen turrets of a Bengal carrier, flying your ship inside it before they drop the flight deck blast doors, drop a nuke and fly out before the blast radius obliterates you.

If you are a good enough pilot.

Jeez, does having fun figure in your gaming or is fun just a distraction?
The more I hear people's plans for power-gaming the multiplayer side of this game, the less interested I am. Right now, I'm just hoping the SP campaign will be really good, and then anything else is a bonus. I'm not really interested in the whole microtransaction side of things anyway.

Star Citizen is

Dodging the hail of fire coming from the couple dozen turrets of a Bengal carrier, flying your ship inside it before they drop the flight deck blast doors, drop a nuke and fly out before the blast radius obliterates you.

If you are a good enough pilot.

dontcha think that if you're the captain of a Bengal carrier, you'd drop the flight deck blast doors on BOTH ends at the same time?

So pilot flies in, gets stuck and thus has to be a kamakazi pilot shooting and bombing while he's trapped?

Yup, that can happen too. And since you are bypassing the shields and hull plating the damage is much more severe. They've modeled every system on the inside with collision detection so bullets tearing through machinery can hit multiple systems.

the only game i multiboxed was SWG it was nice having my doc mule.

but i think the only place someone might be able to multi box is as gunners, i think it owuld be very possible to have 2 pc's/monitors side by side have 1 person on 2 accounts controlling 2 turrets. and if it got to the point you were getting boarded you could position 1 of those accounts farther from the breach point and defend with the first account and as soon as that account gets taken out you still have your other guy you can turn too.

i think thats about as far as you can go with multiboxing and not having to worry about flying with both.

The more I hear people's plans for power-gaming the multiplayer side of this game, the less interested I am. Right now, I'm just hoping the SP campaign will be really good, and then anything else is a bonus. I'm not really interested in the whole microtransaction side of things anyway.

No reason to lose interest. The game is based on skill, not who has more accounts or bigger ship. They can't ruin the game for you and it is far from EVE. I would definitely give it a chance. CR knows his stuff.

Besides, the game world has a huge number of NPCs compared to players. You can play your own "single player" game if you want. But it won't be necessary.

No reason to lose interest. The game is based on skill, not who has more accounts or bigger ship. They can't ruin the game for you and it is far from EVE. I would definitely give it a chance. CR knows his stuff.

Given that zero game play systems are finished, there is nothing to indicate the combat will be entirely skill based. Unless this plays out like Star Wars (the movies) where the huge ship can almost never hit the smaller one, ships of a certain large size will be advantageous in many things.

Given that zero game play systems are finished, there is nothing to indicate the combat will be entirely skill based. Unless this plays out like Star Wars (the movies) where the huge ship can almost never hit the smaller one, ships of a certain large size will be advantageous in many things.

Except that the guy in charge of it has said it over and over again. Now, I'm sure that a base model paper ship piloted by a highly skilled player against fully upgraded scissors ship piloted by a poorly skilled player may still have some trouble, but that's the balancing goal as has been stated.

Will they pull that off? Dunno, we'll have to see but since every indication is that the guy has the time, cash and control; it's a good bet right now.

actually you do know its going to be skill based just based off what we know now about the game and what chris roberts has said will happen.

its something that is mentioned ALL the time and is always addressed. the flying and the game will have a high skill ceiling. any ship has the ability to take on any ship. watch any interview with chris roberts its mentioned all the time because its usually a large concern.

It's skill based in that your RL skills will be the main difference between you and the opposition. There are not going to be RPG type skills/talents/etc. that give you a better chance to hit/crit/etc. in the game. You can customize your ship equipment but that won't help you aim or maneuver so you're only getting hit by one turret instead of three.

Unless you aim bot I really doubt you'll be able to multi-box once in combat. They're designing the ships and game so you're better off with several (real) people crewing the big ships. The NPCs are going to be noticeably less effective than a real player manning the turret by design.

Jeez, does having fun figure in your gaming or is fun just a distraction?

This is my idea of fun:

HQvfty2.jpg

See also: Eve Multi-Boxing Rig Lets One Guy be Massively-Multiplayer All by Himself

Other than that, why wouldn't I want to give myself the advantage of operating multiple ships, especially when some can be completely afk cloakers just sitting there watching a jump gate or some such.

I have fun with meta-gaming, to me that's an essential and important part of online games.

Well prepare to be disapointed.

I don't understand your sentiment at all.
Even though every single online game publisher tries to prevent it, there is automation and multi-boxing in every single game. There are bots and multi-boxers running around in Battlefield etc., publishers simply cannot prevent that from happening.

We don't even need to know what the game mechanics of SC will actually be to know that there will be multi-boxers. If you can cloak a ship you are guaranteed to have multi-boxers.

In any kind of PvE environment you will have multi-boxers of people who will use a dps ship and a logistics ship (heal, haul, salvage) to do the PvE content.

In PvP multi-boxing will likely be limited to running multiple large ships that don't require the same level of real-time dog-fighting as fighters do, but there's no technical reason why someone couldn't operate two, or ten, Constellations at once, especially if they are configured to support each other (i.e. remote hull repair, remote armor repair, remote shield boost, remote ECM boost, etc. etc.).

It just doesn't make any logical sense to say that this will not be possible in SC because unless there's software running that only allows one connection per IP multi-boxing will be viable and people who do it in other games will do it in SC.

Limiting client access to one connection per IP isn't technically viable because there are lots of entities which use pooled IPs (i.e. corporations, universities, heck even a bunch of ComCast users show up on the Internet as using the same IP).

And frankly, what's it to you if someone runs multiple ships?

I don't understand your sentiment at all.
Even though every single online game publisher tries to prevent it, there is automation and multi-boxing in every single game. There are bots and multi-boxers running around in Battlefield etc., publishers simply cannot prevent that from happening.

We don't even need to know what the game mechanics of SC will actually be to know that there will be multi-boxers. If you can cloak a ship you are guaranteed to have multi-boxers.

In any kind of PvE environment you will have multi-boxers of people who will use a dps ship and a logistics ship (heal, haul, salvage) to do the PvE content.

In PvP multi-boxing will likely be limited to running multiple large ships that don't require the same level of real-time dog-fighting as fighters do, but there's no technical reason why someone couldn't operate two, or ten, Constellations at once, especially if they are configured to support each other (i.e. remote hull repair, remote armor repair, remote shield boost, remote ECM boost, etc. etc.).

It just doesn't make any logical sense to say that this will not be possible in SC because unless there's software running that only allows one connection per IP multi-boxing will be viable and people who do it in other games will do it in SC.

Limiting client access to one connection per IP isn't technically viable because there are lots of entities which use pooled IPs (i.e. corporations, universities, heck even a bunch of ComCast users show up on the Internet as using the same IP).

And frankly, what's it to you if someone runs multiple ships?

If sitting in front of your computer for hours, multiboxing to give yourself an "advantage" is fun....more power to you I guess?:confused:

That is the saddest thing I've seen in a while.

It's ok if you enjoy such a thing, I just don't see the appeal.

I will say, that Logitech MX310 on the upper shelf is probably the most durable and reliable mouse I've ever owned. Fucking beast of a thing.

Either way, c'mon, knock on the cynicism and get happy about this stuff. Wouldn't doubt if they had another 24 hour livestream to do what they did before and give us more goodies :).

I WANA SPEND MORE MONIES!!!!:D

well they are releasing the hornet and the freelancer brochure before gamescon, so that's a plus. i am guessing they will be live steaming the event, and don't doubt that there will be a few goodies available once the hanger is released. my wallet already feels lighter.

That is the saddest thing I've seen in a while.

It's ok if you enjoy such a thing, I just don't see the appeal.

It's not actually my setup, but I am reasonably certain that the guy running that setup was doing either mining or missions in EVE Online, PvE in either case. The point of the multi-box there was to make more in-game currency per time spent by running 10-12 accounts at once.

That's going to be the determining factor in SC PvE as well. If you are already sitting in front of the computer doing PvE content, then why not do it with multiple accounts at once. It only takes marginal additional effort to do so.

It's not actually my setup, but I am reasonably certain that the guy running that setup was doing either mining or missions in EVE Online, PvE in either case. The point of the multi-box there was to make more in-game currency per time spent by running 10-12 accounts at once.

That's going to be the determining factor in SC PvE as well. If you are already sitting in front of the computer doing PvE content, then why not do it with multiple accounts at once. It only takes marginal additional effort to do so.

A Drake seems an odd choice for mining...

Besides, the game world has a huge number of NPCs compared to players. You can play your own "single player" game if you want. But it won't be necessary.
I meant the Squadron 42 campaign... not making up my own SP in the MP component.

It's the Ford Crown Victoria of Star Citizen, but it does look nice.

Oh gods... why we can't get StarWars related stuff like this.... imagine manning every single turret on Super Star Destroyer or even Imperator Beta :) or repeating trench run, with turrets being manned by real players... or attack on Death Star 2.

Not as good as the 300i, though. The avenger is much more basic.

not true they said its going to be about equal. the main gun on the avenger is going to be bigger that any thing 300 series can hold but the 2 wing mounts are smaller than the 300 series so it balances out. plus both have a missile hard point on each wing. I think the avenger may be less maneuverable but it should be on par speed wise since it is supposed to have a t5 stock where as the 300 series (excluding the 350) has a t3-t4. it also has 10 ton cargo bay which is good if you want to do something besides blowing shit up.

found it:

Dev: Avenger has capacity for a big gun on the nose, and smaller ones on the wings, with 2 possible missile mounts. 325a evens out the guns, with a gimbaled (but not as big as the Avenger's main gun) weapon on the nose and two on the wings. Also has 2 missile points. So you're good either way.

Last edited:
Avenger is going to be like an F4 Phantom, has large main thrusters a T5 but handles like a brick.

i kinda hope they up the performance on it a bit tho because as it sits now to me it feels like the 300 series would be a better choice for most situations

I think the avenger may be less maneuverable but it should be on par spread wise since it is supposed to have a t5 stock where as the 300 series (excluding the 350) has a t3-t4.

Not so sure it will be with 60% more mass.

If you can cloak a ship you are guaranteed to have multi-boxers.

well you cant cloak, there will be no cloaking. in SC.

all stealth is based on heat signature/radar signature and visually seeing them.

you can get a black paint scheme to make you harder to see but you cant cloak out of sight.

Am I the only one excited about the game but entirely turned off by the really OBVIOUS GREED that comes with the sale of these ship packages?

Am I the only one excited about the game but entirely turned off by the really OBVIOUS GREED that comes with the sale of these ship packages?

they are not forcing any one to buy the ships, and they require 21 mil to be fully crowd funded.

if you have any bright ideas on how to get money without using publisher/investors im sure they would be happy to here that. :rolleyes:

Back