Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

thats a cool idea as long as the cargo you drop is still retrievable or i could see people trolling pirates and boarding rendered useless by just dropping your cargo

i've mentioned this before, but cargo could easily be worth more than your ship, and is not covered by your insurance. if you get paid $10,000 to take a million dollar machine across space in your $500,000 ship, you are not gonna want to dump that because they will come looknig for you to get their money back.

i've mentioned this before, but cargo could easily be worth more than your ship, and is not covered by your insurance. if you get paid $10,000 to take a million dollar machine across space in your $500,000 ship, you are not gonna want to dump that because they will come looknig for you to get their money back.

Really? You think the AI will send bounty hunters if you take a cargo mission and drop the cargo?
That seems a little extreme. Though there certainly are legitimate reasons for dumping the cargo. I could envision a rating system for your transport abilities that qualifies you for certain tiers of missions.

i.e., an established Freelancer with a good track record of transporting goods safely is bound to have better opportunities than dremic, who drops his cargo 50% of the time because he saw a suspicious ship that was 10 km away.

you can pay to insure cargo.

yup!

Really? You think the AI will send bounty hunters if you take a cargo mission and drop the cargo?
That seems a little extreme. Though there certainly are legitimate reasons for dumping the cargo. I could envision a rating system for your transport abilities that qualifies you for certain tiers of missions.

i.e., an established Freelancer with a good track record of transporting goods safely is bound to have better opportunities than dremic, who drops his cargo 50% of the time because he saw a suspicious ship that was 10 km away.

they already stated that if you are delivering goods and you lose them to a pirate or they are damaged you are liable. they mentioned that when they mentioned cargo insurance

Well nobody wants to be that pilot that dropped his cargo at the first sign of an "enemy" starship. =p

you can pay to insure cargo.

i should have mentioned this too, thanks. while it's not covered on your ship's insurance, you can (and probably should if going through at all dangerous space) insure your cargo.

I'd blow the bastards boarding my ship to atoms in a heartbeat. Lives, ships, insurance, and cargo be damned. The only person be Captin' my boat is me. :p

I hope that insurance is like eve insurance and it only pays a partial amount. You wouldn't loose your ship but you would have to spend a boat load of money to repair it to full. likewise with cargo. and the more you lose ships the less it repairs. so eventualy it would basically give you a slagged frame which would cost basically as much as a new ship.

and if you blow your ship up or get boarded and your ship gets stolen it should basically charge you for the whole ship. This would drastically reduce exploiting. and make people want to defend their ships against boarders.

I hope that insurance is like eve insurance and it only pays a partial amount. You wouldn't loose your ship but you would have to spend a boat load of money to repair it to full. likewise with cargo. and the more you lose ships the less it repairs. so eventualy it would basically give you a slagged frame which would cost basically as much as a new ship.

and if you blow your ship up or get boarded and your ship gets stolen it should basically charge you for the whole ship. This would drastically reduce exploiting. and make people want to defend their ships against boarders.

they will be combating insurance fraud. you wouldnt want it to get stolen, insurance only covers the hull and basics so when you upgrade and interchange parts those wont be covered

In SC insurance pays a replacement hu and the time between replace rs increases the lore often you lose that ship. This applies to the lifetime insurance many early backers received on their ships, and it may have an upkeep cost.

Also insurance is based on zone security level, so it doesn't pay out if you go into a zone you aren't covered for.

Last edited:
they already stated that if you are delivering goods and you lose them to a pirate or they are damaged you are liable. they mentioned that when they mentioned cargo insurance

If it doesn't cover stolen or damaged goods what exactly is the point? Or did I completely misread what you said?

And to be honest I'd more than happy to duke it out with pirates before blowing my ship and myself to space dust. However I will be actively trying to avoid PvP where possible. Yes, I'm one of those "carebears."

If it doesn't cover stolen or damaged goods what exactly is the point? Or did I completely misread what you said?

And to be honest I'd more than happy to duke it out with pirates before blowing my ship and myself to space dust. However I will be actively trying to avoid PvP where possible. Yes, I'm one of those "carebears."

I think you misread. ship insurance is absolutely and complete separate from cargo insurance which we know both exist and exist separately. they have elaborated on ship insurance but not cargo. we dont know what it covers EXACTLY just that you can buy coverage.

I think you misread. ship insurance is absolutely and complete separate from cargo insurance which we know both exist and exist separately. they have elaborated on ship insurance but not cargo. we dont know what it covers EXACTLY just that you can buy coverage.

This ^

Ok, yeah. I thought you were making a reference to cargo insurance when you said "they already stated that if you are delivering goods and you lose them to a pirate or they are damaged you are liable." I just couldn't wrap my head around that. Now that I know you were referring to the ship insurance it makes complete sense. I went full retard, sorry :eek:

Ok, yeah. I thought you were making a reference to cargo insurance when you said "they already stated that if you are delivering goods and you lose them to a pirate or they are damaged you are liable." I just couldn't wrap my head around that. Now that I know you were referring to the ship insurance it makes complete sense. I went full retard, sorry :eek:

to clarify even further..

yeah i was referring to your cargo in that post. meaning if you take a 1,000,000 credits worth of cargo and you get attacked and its hijacked. you better have insurance on that cargo or you will be liable for the lost or stolen goods.

for those asking about cargo dropping

Maybe not the sun, but you'll certainly be able to eject things from your ship (dump your cargo before you blow, will ya?)

thats from Ben Lesnick one of the devs/community managers

I wonder how much in-game currency an Idris corvette is going to cost and how many hours I'll have to grind out to compete with the pre-purchases for ~ $1200 or whatever it went for before selling out. If its longer than 24 hours, which seems extremely likely, I'll be even more sad I missed the sale by half an hour. Damn I want that sexy ship :'(

From what I've put together $1 is roughly equal to 1000 in-game credits. So at minimum you're looking at 1.2 million in-game credits. I also saw a while back that current ship prices are greatly discounted from the in-game credit equivalents.

I wonder how much in-game currency an Idris corvette is going to cost and how many hours I'll have to grind out to compete with the pre-purchases for ~ $1200 or whatever it went for before selling out. If its longer than 24 hours, which seems extremely likely, I'll be even more sad I missed the sale by half an hour. Damn I want that sexy ship :'(

the idris is 5000 now ;P

From what I've put together $1 is roughly equal to 1000 in-game credits. So at minimum you're looking at 1.2 million in-game credits. I also saw a while back that current ship prices are greatly discounted from the in-game credit equivalents.

how did you get that math? i bought a 110$ ship package and only got 5000 credits. idk how you came up with that conversion but i cant imagine it being that drastic tbh

That's why we need to steal a few. can't wait to be on a boarding party going for an idris.

im pretty sure a Constellation is expected to be closer to 500k credits ingame i would expect an idris to be well more than 1.2m and closer to 3m+

the more i look at the constellation the more i want one but i also feel like i want to start in fighter class vessels and work my way up from there

the idris is 5000 now ;P

how did you get that math? i bought a 110$ ship package and only got 5000 credits. idk how you came up with that conversion but i cant imagine it being that drastic tbh

They said early on that $1 would be about 1000 credits once the in-game store opens. Whether that is still the conversion rate or not, I don't know.

I don't see the connection between you spending $110 for a package and only getting 5k credits and my math though. 1200x1000 = 1200000 :confused:

Goddamn! I don't know about you guys, but I am worried about Bill Gates popping in and pay 2 winning on us. That fucker!

They said early on that $1 would be about 1000 credits once the in-game store opens. Whether that is still the conversion rate or not, I don't know.

I don't see the connection between you spending $110 for a package and only getting 5k credits and my math though. 1200x1000 = 1200000 :confused:

id like to see that original post if you can find it.. that doesnt add up for me. but really we wont know till the game is released.

Goddamn! I don't know about you guys, but I am worried about Bill Gates popping in and pay 2 winning on us. That fucker!

good thing there are monthly caps :) you wont be able to buy an idris with real money youre still gonna have to work even if you buy in game money. so fuck bill gates :)

I'm glad this finally happened.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13150-Package-Re-Sale-Policy
reetings Citizens,

In recent weeks we’ve had a number of questions about buying and selling “used” Star Citizen ships and packages on the secondary market.

As you know, Original and Veteran backers can continue to purchase Star Citizen items with Llifetime Insurance through November 28th, 2013. Using the RSI site’s gift feature, these LTI variants can be traded to other users, including backers who did not pledge during the LTI period.

Some Citizens have been operating trading services, offering LTI packages either at cost or for a profit. Other limited ships, like the Vanduul fighter and the Idris corvette, have begun to appear on auction sites. While we applaud those willing to spend their time to sell additional packages and help more players join the game, we do not have the resources or the ability to support the practice.

While we recognize that many players are doing this to support the game, the potential for abuse is too great. We need to keep our players as safe as possible from scammers, which means blocking the advertising of this practice from RSI-hosted community areas. Your ships and packages are yours to do with as you please and there is no intention of removing the package gifting process. However, we must require that you do not buy or sell them through the official RSI forums.

From today forward, moderators will close any “for sale,” “for trade” or “want to buy” posts and issue warnings. Repeated warnings will earn forum bans. For those purchasing ‘used’ packages elsewhere, be aware that it is at your own risk. We do not support the practice and we can’t offer customer service nor can we accept any liability for outside deals that may go bad. Note also that concierge status will not transfer with gifts; purchasing a thousand dollar corvette on an auction site will not give you access to that area of the site.

LTI may not be available anymore, but there are still plenty of reasons to back the current Star Citizen packages without the risk of the secondary market. Remember, insurance will be readily available for purchase with in-game credits… and the six-month (or more) free insurance bonds included in the current packages will likely cover your starter hull for far longer than it will take you to upgrade to another ship. Lifetime Insurance is a small token aimed at rewarding early backers, not something which will have a huge impact on the final gameplay.

Some people on the official forums went full retard and turned the melting and upgrading packages to non vet/original backers into a business. Some would ask for donations which seemed ok but others would downright charge you for it. This rightly pissed off CIG and they took action.

This is what a mod had to say when they locked one of the threads from people doing this.

Mod Note
Topic locked:
The mod team will not allow anyone within the community to get rich of or otherwise do harm to other members of this community, as such as much as Baragoon's threads are useful to the community and do help fight the black market, the fact he is starting to elicit skin charges for his 'services' is profiteering and therefore makes his entire attempt to fight the black market with these threads hypocritical, as such they are all hereby locked.

Best Regards,

There had been talk brewing that they were going to completely nerf LTI on gifted packages. i.e. if your account didn't have original/veteran status the LTI would be removed and replaced with the standard insurance. Looks like we dodged the bullet there and their solution seems the most reasonable 'cause they don't seem to want to alienate people who've pledged already and have legitimate reasons to gift packages to other people.

I'll continue to offer upgrades to anyone here at no charge whatsoever, It always seemed silly to me seeing people charge for it 'cause all I'm doing is clicking some links on a website.

P.S: Full disclosure. 1 person did tip me out of the near dozen people I've helped but that was out of his own volition.

Last edited:
The capitalist in me opposes interference in the free market. Players provide a service to other players and why shouldn't they charge for it?! It's up to the buyer to determine whether or not the added value of an LTI package is worth the charge to them.
Similarly the publisher has imho no right at all to get pissed about that. They created the situation, it doesn't take a rocketsurgeon to figure out that there will be a secondary market, and the publisher is still free to sell LTI packages themselves if that is what they want to do.

Let the market sort this out.

This had actually been going on since the old website but it was mostly low key and no one advertised it. It was talked about inside an on going thread for people looking to buy/upgrade their pledges.

Then one guy took it upon himself to mention it everywhere, making new threads explicitly advertising it and as more people caught on more and more threads like it kept popping up. Once the new site went live people started advertising it on their sigs (they added html sigs).

This same guy also maintained a thread that rated people who were doing these trades but when the new site went live he "forgot to copy" all the ranking data of everyone else involved except for his own so his name was at the top of the trusted traders list. When confronted he said people would have to submit all the info again (from many months ago) and things kinda went downhill from there.

I'm glad this finally happened.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13150-Package-Re-Sale-Policy

Some people on the official forums went full retard and turned the melting and upgrading packages to non vet/original backers into a business. Some would ask for donations which seemed ok but others would downright charge you for it. This rightly pissed off CIG and they took action.

This is what a mod had to say when they locked one of the threads from people doing this.

There had been talk brewing that they were going to completely nerf LTI on gifted packages. i.e. if your account didn't have original/veteran status the LTI would be removed and replaced with the standard insurance. Looks like we dodged the bullet there and their solution seems the most reasonable 'cause they don't seem to want to alienate people who've pledged already and have legitimate reasons to gift packages to other people.

I'll continue to offer upgrades to anyone here at no charge whatsoever, It always seemed silly to me seeing people charge for it 'cause all I'm doing is clicking some links on a website.

P.S: Full disclosure. 1 person did tip me out of the near dozen people I've helped but that was out of his own volition.

I, like Lorien, understand why they're taking this stance. It is important to note that they're not restricting gifting in any way, but you simply can't use their forums to negotiate it, trade etc... nor are they responsible for 3rd party transaction customer service. Just to reiterate, this does NOT mean that any action will be taken to stop those who purchase/sell/trade/gift packages, nor do the recipients who end up with a package through a proxy have anything to fear - they will be honored with all the features included as part of the package. However, looking on the official Star Citizen forums for those to offer Original Backer packages, Lifetime Insurance, ship trades, or any other element thereof has come to an end.

I have to give CIG props for not restricting player actions - quotes like " Your ships and packages are yours to do with as you please and there is no intention of removing the package gifting process. However, we must require that you do not buy or sell them through the official RSI forums. " and " Limiting gifting would, in my mind, be akin to adding DRM... limiting what you can go and do with what you own. That wont' fly with this project." really show that they're putting player experience first.

I will continue to offer the same service that I have thus far to the community. I hope my long duration on [H], my positive Heatware, and the kind words from whom I've previously had dealings, etc..will help to make players comfortable in the transaction. All of my Original Backer packages, Lifetime Insurance ships and other services are and will continue to be offered At Cost! More information on existing packages and prices can be found in my thread here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1771189 - as the Star Citizen website's package details and trading posts have all been eliminated (I'm really glad I took the time to write it out here instead of there!)

This had actually been going on since the old website but it was mostly low key and no one advertised it. It was talked about inside an on going thread for people looking to buy/upgrade their pledges.

Then one guy took it upon himself to mention it everywhere, making new threads explicitly advertising it and as more people caught on more and more threads like it kept popping up. Once the new site went live people started advertising it on their sigs (they added html sigs).

This same guy also maintained a thread that rated people who were doing these trades but when the new site went live he "forgot to copy" all the ranking data of everyone else involved except for his own so his name was at the top of the trusted traders list. When confronted he said people would have to submit all the info again (from many months ago) and things kinda went downhill from there.

Baragoon?

He is a hypocritical piece of shit and is kill on sight to me.

I'm just glad they didn't yank gifting or LTI altogether.

People would've just started selling accounts instead of the actual ships/packages so that wouldn't have stopped anything. All they are doing is sweeping it off their front yard so that they can't be held liable when/if someone gets scammed. Makes perfect sense to me.

Baragoon?

He is a hypocritical piece of shit and is kill on sight to me.

Yup

Last edited:
Just checked ebay - 4 accounts for sale, 3 from the same person...
What a tard lol, ebay doesn't allow game account sales.

Wouldn't he/she just transfer all of the ships and bonuses to a different character when playing the game? No one would know right?
Only if he has a second account.

Your handle follows you in game in the format handle.whatever. Other players in the game see your as "whatever" but with advanced scanners they can see the entire name. And likewise you can buy equipment to obfuscate your name.

There is going to be a HUGE market for that equipment because that's the only way pirates wanted by NPC authorities or anyone flying with a stolen ship will be able to enter UEE policed space. It'll be like people selling clean registrations for stolen cars.

Last edited:
If they can pull off that aspect of the game its going to create a really cool dynamic. also make for some really funny fake ID's

I'm wondering just how cargo insurance would be implemented. I know with EVE, if you took up a job from another player to deliver goods, you actually paid out of pocket for the value of the cargo beforehand, to be held in escrow. If you successfully delivered the cargo to the destination, you got that money back plus the job payout. If you failed or did not deliver in time, that money went towards the person who setup the contract. The delivery person had full responsibility of the risk for a cargo run into low-sec, you just had to decide whether the risk was vs. the reward.

If cargo insurance is prohibitively expensive enough for lower security sectors, it might work out OK. We'll see I guess.

The capitalist in me opposes interference in the free market. Players provide a service to other players and why shouldn't they charge for it?! It's up to the buyer to determine whether or not the added value of an LTI package is worth the charge to them.
Similarly the publisher has imho no right at all to get pissed about that. They created the situation, it doesn't take a rocketsurgeon to figure out that there will be a secondary market, and the publisher is still free to sell LTI packages themselves if that is what they want to do.

Let the market sort this out.

They're not regulating, limiting or restricting it in any way though. They'll let you do what you want, they just don't want to be seen as involved or responsible if people end up getting scammed or ripped off.

There is going to be a HUGE market for that equipment because that's the only way pirates wanted by NPC authorities or anyone flying with a stolen ship will be able to enter UEE policed space. It'll be like people selling clean registrations for stolen cars.

Very excited about this feature

Back