Stalker Clear Sky.

Are you all playing a different game to me? I've just met Forester and I'm still wearing some shagged-out nasty little jacket that gives one or two protection for everything except PSI-emissions, and I get no blowouts except the fake ones at the scientists' base at Yantar. I have stacks of artifacts that I chewed through about fifty medkits to get because my suit is poo, but I can't equip them because my suit is poo. Am I jut not far enough into the game?

you need to make money and purchase better gear. Once you have better gear you need to spend more money to upgrade it. Same thing goes for the weapons, you need to upgrade the stuff.

Start selling your artifacts to the guy in Yantar, he gives the most money and go on a spending spree. You dont rellay need artifacts anyway to complete the game once you've upgrade the shiat out of everything.

I feel bad for you guys. Throughout the entire game, it crashed twice, and one of the two times, it wasn't the game, stupid nvidia driver issues.

I started my 2nd play through last night, with the 4870 x2 this time. Looks fantastic. No crashes thus far.

Yeah, it's poor if the Steam version doesn't have the patch available.

Hasn't crashed for me once yet with the retail version. Mind you I'm only on The Red Forest section.

Do I need to take all the weapons I want before I try to go over the bridge to Limansk. Is there no going back? A one way ticket?

Are you all playing a different game to me? I've just met Forester and I'm still wearing some shagged-out nasty little jacket that gives one or two protection for everything except PSI-emissions, and I get no blowouts except the fake ones at the scientists' base at Yantar. I have stacks of artifacts that I chewed through about fifty medkits to get because my suit is poo, but I can't equip them because my suit is poo. Am I jut not far enough into the game?

Do some of the side missions, some of the rewards are great ... actually I think forester gives you a new suit? (I forget where I got the one I am using). Also join a faction, typically when you do you get some pretty sweet gear.

Yeah, it's poor if the Steam version doesn't have the patch available.

Hasn't crashed for me once yet with the retail version. Mind you I'm only on The Red Forest section.

Do I need to take all the weapons I want before I try to go over the bridge to Limansk. Is there no going back? A one way ticket?

I have the steam version as well and I played through the entire game without a hitch. No missions were borked up, no crashes, no real game stopping crazyness. Few weird AI issues but that was about it.

Once you enter limansk you can not go back. Make sure you've done what you wanted and upgraded all your stuff.

I went in with 2 fully upgraded guns (cs96 or whatever is it and that M4 looking thing) plus an upgraded SEVA suit, 1000 rounds of AP rounds for each gun and I was solid the whole way through. You need to make sure your guns are 100% up to date because there is a lot of people to shoot and lots coming at you at one time so you want to be able to make the easy headshots.

you need to make money and purchase better gear. Once you have better gear you need to spend more money to upgrade it. Same thing goes for the weapons, you need to upgrade the stuff.

Start selling your artifacts to the guy in Yantar, he gives the most money and go on a spending spree. You dont rellay need artifacts anyway to complete the game once you've upgrade the shiat out of everything.

yeah, I've been doing that. I had about 30,000 RU when it all got stolen, so I just up and said 'fuck it'. I keep reading about people getting fat rewards, though, and I'm getting sod all. I got one artifact and a new detector so far. Poo.

I was tempted join Duty, since they're the only faction giving a half-decent incentive (though I haven't checked Freedom out yet, to be fair). However, I want to be able to roam about unhindered. It's bad enough the bandits/renegades/mutants attacking on sight, but if Freedom or Duty were to join in too I'd most likely end up raping myself carrying piles of ammo and medkits.

yeah, I've been doing that. I had about 30,000 RU when it all got stolen, so I just up and said 'fuck it'. I keep reading about people getting fat rewards, though, and I'm getting sod all. I got one artifact and a new detector so far. Poo.

I was tempted join Duty, since they're the only faction giving a half-decent incentive (though I haven't checked Freedom out yet, to be fair). However, I want to be able to roam about unhindered. It's bad enough the bandits/renegades/mutants attacking on sight, but if Freedom or Duty were to join in too I'd most likely end up raping myself carrying piles of ammo and medkits.

Dude, go here. Tons of info without spoiling the game. http://stalker.heroesradio.com/Forum/index.php

It will make your game more enjoyable.

Also you guys can load a mod that allows you to leave Limansk. I used it on my first playthrough and it doesn't kill the game. That way you can go in with the right gear and ammo. It also lets you keep on playing after the game ends http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr〈=en

Im on steam and no CTDs, what I do hate is that I cant get the loading for quick saves working. Is that borked for anyone else ?

Im on steam and no CTDs, what I do hate is that I cant get the loading for quick saves working. Is that borked for anyone else ?

quick load only works for me if i haven't died yet. once i've died however quick load doesn't work and i have to load from the menu.

Woot, patch is up on steam.

D/L now

:)

-dave

Finally! :) Trying now.

EDIT: It's perfect now! No more CTD's in an hour of play!

Now I have a different problem. After receiving the PDA outside the scientist lab, I used up about 15 first aids and 5 bandages. None of the zombies or dead regular guys dropped bandages so now I pretty much bleed to death shortly after chasing sterlok. Is this typical?

Finally! :) Trying now.

EDIT: It's perfect now! No more CTD's in an hour of play!

Now I have a different problem. After receiving the PDA outside the scientist lab, I used up about 15 first aids and 5 bandages. None of the zombies or dead regular guys dropped bandages so now I pretty much bleed to death shortly after chasing sterlok. Is this typical?

Try being at the end of the game with no medpacks or bandages. They took all my scientific/army ones away, I barely beat the game without dying.

glad it's working for everyone.

SEMI SPOILER

About the bleed thing, the game throws you a bone right in that zombie area. Remember the hot gates of hell, oblivion looking thing where you find the scientist PDA on the brain scorcher? Inside that there's an "eye" artifact with -40 bleeding, awsome little trinket I can only assume you get because zombies don't bleed :)

-dave

Got the patch on Steam. Finished the game a few hours ago. I WANT MORE! The ending was weird. The neitre gameplay seemed to change a lot towards the end, andthen BAM it was all over. I dono if I'll reply it as there wasn't much I didn't do the first go around. I hate finishing games sometimes. These dang games are just too short these days. :(

I just installed the 1.505 patch and I have severe lag problems. Before i was able to play on max/high. now i get 1 or 2 fps even on medium...what the hell!? :mad:

I just installed the 1.505 patch and I have severe lag problems. Before i was able to play on max/high. now i get 1 or 2 fps even on medium...what the hell!? :mad:

go to console and type vid_restart

That typically fixes the slowdown.

Inside that there's an "eye" artifact with -40 bleeding, awsome little trinket I can only assume you get because zombies don't bleed :)

-dave

Thanks for the tip... I'll be artifact hunting for now on I think...

Dude, go here. Tons of info without spoiling the game. http://stalker.heroesradio.com/Forum/index.php

It will make your game more enjoyable.

Also you guys can load a mod that allows you to leave Limansk. I used it on my first playthrough and it doesn't kill the game. That way you can go in with the right gear and ammo. It also lets you keep on playing after the game ends http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr〈=en

Thanks. I just patched and lost all my saves, though. Hurrah.

...and just got my first CTD. Also, it won't save my settings. Gr7.

Finished the game today. Overall a great game and hugely immersive.

I was surprised how short the game was and how abrupt the ending is

I really didn't get the ending at all! What the hell was all that about?

Spoiler

It was all about showing how Strelok ended up on that truck with a mission to kill himself.

Vid_restart helps...

I was playing a few minutes ago everything was super smooth. I close down stalker and come back and its doing like 2-fps again. Using vid_restart helped but it certainly wasnt as smooth as it was before.

Also, I'm getting a line in console about "nvapi is missing" and something about 2-gpu. Is this just the way the game is coded or is it something with my 1gb 4870?

Umm, did anyone else get prompted for a driver install after Steam pushed a game update?

Says TAGES Drivers installation..... wtf is this?

More DRM for you. You know, be good and pay for the game through Steam, get shitty ring-0 drivers that will eventually fuck up your computer for you. Just bend over and like it.

err well FUCK steam and GSC....

See if Vales will isuse a refund on fear of a charge back.

I honestly think PC gaming is a totally waste of fucking time now. People always post that PC gaming is dying, well shit like this will make it. I am really close to saying fuck it after being a PC gamer for so long, it's just not worth it anymore....

Very close to buying a console and giving the PC the finger.

wrangler, might want to spoiler that post.

Play SoC and get the true endings if you want to know what's going on at the end of CS. You'll probably still need to read about it but the exposition means it will make some sense.

You know my favorite part about artifact hunting? It makes me feel like I'm searching for secrets back in the Doom days. They give you a few subtle indications that an artifact might be nearby, then you run around like an idiot looking for them. Sounds like it'd be trite and boring in 2008 but it's fun and addicting.

I've not found ANY artifacts in the Swamp after playing all day for 10 hours. I take out my pistol & detector but what am I doing wrong?

There's one in every area with a cluster of anomalies. Where they're spread out or alone, there won't be one.

The green gas patch has one, and there's one underneath the big telegraph pylons with all the electricity beneath.

I've not found ANY artifacts in the Swamp after playing all day for 10 hours. I take out my pistol & detector but what am I doing wrong?

I found 3 in this area. With the first detector it will simply beep quicker when you get closer to the artifact. Very much trial and error and remember to use bolts and throw them in front of you. Later on you get a visual detector which makes life much easier. You have to be very close to the artifact for it to appear.

But as Wally says there is one under the pylons and one near the green gas patch and there is one just north of the northern eastern farmstead (inside a crack in the ground - you will probably need medkits to get this one but it's a goodie)

I just went through Limansk, wooo fun ride, but is sucks now cause Im out of ammo and zero armor. How close am I to beating the game ?

BTW where did you guys get 50k rubles from lowering the brige ?

I just went through Limansk, wooo fun ride, but is sucks now cause Im out of ammo and zero armor. How close am I to beating the game ?

BTW where did you guys get 50k rubles from lowering the brige ?

I didn't get 50k either. Forrester gave me a weapon worth 28,000RU in exchange for the Compass artifact. I wanted to keep it as it gives you +6 endurance.

You're very close to the end. Maybe another 30 - 60 minutes gameplay

You need go to the Clear Sky trader (Clear Sky Camp, Swamps) after the bridge is lowered

SPOILERS:

You have to get through a few firefights in the abandoned hospital. With zero armor and ammo it will require some trial and error, I'm afraid.

There are a total of 7 artifacts in the swamps. You can also get the Veles detector for free in the swamps, which has better artifact detection. I posted a link a few pages back, contains spoilers for loot.

I didn't get 50k either. Forrester gave me a weapon worth 28,000RU in exchange for the Compass artifact. I wanted to keep it as it gives you +6 endurance.

You're very close to the end. Maybe another 30 - 60 minutes gameplay

Damn, serious? I just lowered the bridge before going to sleep last night. Thought there was going to be a lot more than that. Oh well, I guess I can always replay it.

I may just beat this game without getting one artifiact. I've played about10-15 hours as well (depending on if you count reloading all thoseo CTD errors before the 1.005 patch) and have yet to find one artifact.

Vid_restart helps...

I was playing a few minutes ago everything was super smooth. I close down stalker and come back and its doing like 2-fps again. Using vid_restart helped but it certainly wasnt as smooth as it was before.

Also, I'm getting a line in console about "nvapi is missing" and something about 2-gpu. Is this just the way the game is coded or is it something with my 1gb 4870?

There are 2 different threads here at [H] about the random slowdowns and ATI hardware........people having to type vid_restart to get fps back etc. etc. ome have found that this does not happen if they run with Catalyst AI disabled but performance does suffer.

I solved my problem by getting rid of my 4870's. Nothing else helped. There was also a problem with even though the fps would be above 40 or so it still felt choppy. The performance review here at [H] talks a little about this stuff. They selected the Nvidia cards for the smoother gaming experience. IMHO, the X-Ray engine hates ATI. The original SOC was SO biased towards Nvidia it wasn't even funny. 1.5 is better raw performancewise with ATI but so many wierd anomalies (pun intended :D) it just doesn't make it worth it to deal with it. Some are having no problem..........

The line is your console just is saying it does not detect nvidia harware and hopefully not detecting dual gpu.

Damn, serious? I just lowered the bridge before going to sleep last night. Thought there was going to be a lot more than that. Oh well, I guess I can always replay it.

I may just beat this game without getting one artifiact. I've played about10-15 hours as well (depending on if you count reloading all thoseo CTD errors before the 1.005 patch) and have yet to find one artifact.

Possible slight spoilers

If you have just lowered the bridge then you'll have to fight through Limansk (took me about an hour) This section is quite linear as is the hospital level. You team up with Clear Sky soldiers here so it is fun. The hospital level took me another 30 - 60 minutes and the CPP level only took me 5 minutes. You'll need plenty of ammo and medkits for these sections. Even with a 70,000RU SEVA suit I got battered constantly.

turning of Cat AI doesnt help. the game isnt even playable on medium with my rig. At least with 1.503 I could play the game on high. This is pathetic patches are supposed to make the game better NOT WORSE.

God this is frustrating. What are the devs thinking?

It's a whole lot better for some of us after patching it up. Not all issues ARE game issues. Sometimes a lot has to do with one's system.

Back