Stalker Clear Sky.

Celsius

Gawd
I'm not a hardcore game player, but I can say this. This storyline and the way the maps are linked together is awful/horrible I'm a really fair person when it comes to games it takes years to make them and its a total crapshoot.

I went back and played stalker today too.

The DX10, yeah its really wonderful, its the storylines and the structure that I just can't stand.

Its not a long bitch and moan its just how I feel.

I always felt the clunky interface and strange feel of the game set it apart from the rest. I haven't played Clear Sky yet but I know some people feel that they could have done so much more with this game. It appears to be as buggy as Stalker was, so I may hold off playing it.

I'm enjoying it, aside from the asinine copy protection. It seems to be quite a bit harder this time around though. Artifacts are really hard to locate, the gun upgrade system is cool, but I wish there was some way to speed up time as it is hard to operate at night. The NPCs do seem to have eagle eyes during the night, and amazing ability to snipe with any weapon, which can be frustrating at times. The beginning area dominates your video card.

I'm enjoying it, aside from the asinine copy protection. It seems to be quite a bit harder this time around though. Artifacts are really hard to locate, the gun upgrade system is cool, but I wish there was some way to speed up time as it is hard to operate at night. The NPCs do seem to have eagle eyes during the night, and amazing ability to snipe with any weapon, which can be frustrating at times. The beginning area dominates your video card.

Agreed.

I was testing this theory out last night. Silenced pistol about 30y/m/f (w/e it is) away, at night, no flashlight on. No way could the NPC see me, fire off a couple of rounds, hitting the NPC, and all of a sudden, he unleashes a fury from the AK on me. Direct hits. I'm like WTF!!! and take off running.

Yea, the NPC's accuracy is a tad bit annoying. (Even with grenades and shotguns.)

The uber night is cool at times, but agreed, annoying because it is almost impossible to do anything at night.

I'm a big fan of the game, and even with its downfalls, I still enjoy it.

I like the night being more 'night'. It cranks up the tension in some areas.

I don't like the NPCs being mega. Sometimes they just shoot you through bushes, even though there's no way to see through them.

this game sure is pretty.. but so far I am not wowed with the game-play... the jury is still out though.. I only got about an hour to mess with it last night.

this game sure is pretty.. but so far I am not wowed with the game-play... the jury is still out though.. I only got about an hour to mess with it last night.

You need to sit down with it for longer than that.

This game is as wacky as the first one, that's what I liked about it.

This time it's much harder I agree.
I've found it to be a little difficult to find my way around, but then again I'm still in the swamp.

Graphically, this is a beautiful game and the atmosphere is very similar to the first, which also attracted me to it.

Sometimes it is a pig, but the lipstick works here.

does this game run better than shadow of chernobyl ???

Well I am not using the same video cards as I was when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl came out but I'd say that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky is about as punishing on today's high end card configurations as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl was on the high end configurations of that day. in niether game could you push 2560x1600 with everything on maximum detail with full on lighting effects on a single card and get 30FPS in intense fire fights. It just isn't going to happen.

I agree with Dan. my GTX260s started to squeal again like they did when I first ran a few benchies on them fresh out of the box.. they were pretty noisy but after an hour or so it seemed to be less.. or maybe I was more used to it? hrm... I play a lot of LotRO and they are dead silent.. so this game does seem to work a video card like a $5 hooker.

I have to agree with the overly agressive MOBs attacking from long range, and general increased difficulty level.

(possible spoiler)
As soon as I got to the Cordon I had soldiers targetting me with sniper accuracy with full autos from probably 800+ meters while I'm behind cover. Currently waiting for night to try to sneak by.

Also I was having severe issues with DX10, black/blue bars on loading screen, messed up menus and no ingame text. No problems with going back to DX9 so far.

I am stuck. Bleeding in the middle of the fight, saves are messed up, the gun jams too often, low on cash. Sucks.

I have to agree with the overly agressive MOBs attacking from long range, and general increased difficulty level.

(possible spoiler)
As soon as I got to the Cordon I had soldiers targetting me with sniper accuracy with full autos from probably 800+ meters while I'm behind cover. Currently waiting for night to try to sneak by.

Also I was having severe issues with DX10, black/blue bars on loading screen, messed up menus and no ingame text. No problems with going back to DX9 so far.

(possible spoiler)
You took the tunnel which lets you out right beside the army base correct? I had to head back and take the northern route, north of the train tracks, and head south in order to get by that part.

I've got probably around 8 hours of gameplay on it, and I've had fun so far. It is a bitch at first, but now I've got some decent equipment and loot from selling the guns I pick up off my victims. I agree that the accuracy and sight of the enemy is quite rediculous at night, but I've gotten used to using the flashlight with night vision with decent outcome. Sneaking past the enemy is just not an option. I've found that I can pick them off pretty well at a distance with a modded Viper 5, but I'm yearning for more firepower! If they fixed the enemy night sight, I think I'd be pretty happy with the game overall.

I am stuck. Bleeding in the middle of the fight, saves are messed up, the gun jams too often, low on cash. Sucks.

That sounds really cool. Like something you'd read off a PDA on some stalker's decaying, forgotten body.

(possible spoiler)

I'm having the same prolems with Dx10 and a 4870x2. Glad i'm not alone, I guess I'll wait for another patch :(

I have a 9800GX2 and I have everything maxed out and running fine at 1920x1200. But I can't enable wet surfaces or volumetric fog or smoke or whatever the other one is. Shouldn't I be able to turn those on? Or are they DX10.1?

Edit: Never mind. Saw the answer in another thread. Got to enable enhanced lighting in the basic menu first. :eek:

The gameplay itself will never wow you. The only time that will happen is if you get into just the right situation with a really cool gunbattle between a couple of factions and you are able to flank and stuff. Then it's pretty impressive.

The atmosphere and neat underground environments were always the big draw though. They are still there to some extent in this game, but not as much as SoC.

Finally got the game last night, and its stressing my video card and maxing out my video memory in maximum DX9 lighting, and not everything maxed at 1152x864 and I was getting 35 fps in spots. I probably need to tweak the settings a bit more and get more memory. Playing so far looks good, still need to go farther to tell how this game is, the accent with these voices is thick, and they don't know how to say some words in proper english, its kinda funny actually.

I'm having the same prolems with Dx10 and a 4870x2. Glad i'm not alone, I guess I'll wait for another patch :(

I gave my 4870 X2 a try at 2560x1600 with DX10 lighting at maximum quality. Alone in's "playable" but it chunks really bad in fire fights. I didn't have any problems with it though. Geforce GTX 280 OC's in 3-Way SLI get the job done nicely, but the game still doesn't run that great.

Finally got my copy from Amazon. This game looks awesome! So far it feels a lot like the first one (which is a good thing). The only thing that I don't really like is the fast paced music played during battle. It takes away from the moody atmosphere.

PS: I have no troubles running everything on max with my 4870x2, but I only run @ 1680x1050. Need to invest in a 24" very soon.

Yeah I didn't care for the music either, you can turn it off with a checkbox in the audio submenu, it's called dynamic music I think.

Finally got my copy from Amazon. This game looks awesome! So far it feels a lot like the first one (which is a good thing). The only thing that I don't really like is the fast paced music played during battle. It takes away from the moody atmosphere.

PS: I have no troubles running everything on max with my 4870x2, but I only run @ 1680x1050. Need to invest in a 24" very soon.

Well there is a big difference between running the game at 1920x1200 or 2560x1600. I'm sure the 4870 X2 can handle 1920x1200 with everything but AA maxed out. However at 2560x1600 it isn't playable at maximum settings on the 4870 X2.

Well there is a big difference between running the game at 1920x1200 or 2560x1600. I'm sure the 4870 X2 can handle 1920x1200 with everything but AA maxed out. However at 2560x1600 it isn't playable at maximum settings on the 4870 X2.

I understand that. I'm too poor to afford a 30" so it's not a problem for me (well being poor is a problem, lol)

(possible spoiler)
You took the tunnel which lets you out right beside the army base correct? I had to head back and take the northern route, north of the train tracks, and head south in order to get by that part.

Run to the tree, use it as cover. When they stop firing run down to the rocks to the left, and where the tree falls through the fence there's a gap. You'll chew through a few medkits and bandages, and you can only do it the first time, apparently. If you try it after that point it just rapes you all about the place.

Run to the tree, use it as cover. When they stop firing run down to the rocks to the left, and where the tree falls through the fence there's a gap. You'll chew through a few medkits and bandages, and you can only do it the first time, apparently. If you try it after that point it just rapes you all about the place.

They shot through all the trees on mine. I just had to run and then use the hills for cover.

And on a related note, it looks like Clear Sky allows weapon fire through light cover elements like wooden crates. I get hit pretty frequently behind those but not much around a thick concrete wall.

I'm sure there are clipping bugs too but at least these appear to be intentional for a little realism.

They shot through all the trees on mine. I just had to run and then use the hills for cover.

Yeah, they shoot through the first one. I just held a low crouch below the fork, got hit a couple of times, ate a medkit and sprinted.

However, that was only the first time I left the swamp. After I went to agroprom and the garbage and back to the swamp, I went out there to get a flash drive from a backpack at the tunnel entrance. The mounted MG is far less forgiving, and will hit you, and kill you. No glancing blows like you get the first run.

All I have to say is, unless you have 2 or 3 of the top of line video cards, forget playing this with pretty graphics. My machine with a sngle 8800GTX can barely play it at 1280x800 @ medium settings. Forget using the standard res of monitor (1680x1050). Even outside the camp, it's still pretty bad. This is worse than Crysis. I was tempted to get a second 8800GTX but now I see that it will probably be usless.

The 8800GTX may have had its run. My recently-purchased $150 ATI 4850 plays it at 1600x1200 with DX9 enhanced lighting and most settings near maximum (no AA). A surprisingly smooth 35+ FPS, with only a few hitches for caching every now and then.

All I have to say is, unless you have 2 or 3 of the top of line video cards, forget playing this with pretty graphics. My machine with a sngle 8800GTX can barely play it at 1280x800 @ medium settings. Forget using the standard res of monitor (1680x1050). Even outside the camp, it's still pretty bad. This is worse than Crysis. I was tempted to get a second 8800GTX but now I see that it will probably be usless.

Get yourself a 4870 X2 or a pair of Geforce GTX 280's and you'll be good to go. Granted that's not an option for everyone but if you can afford it the game will give you many hours of enjoyment.

So far I am completely sick of bleeding. You bleed ALL the time it seems. AI does not seem improved at all, it still does the same predictable stuff. I went all round the swamp and did everything I could. Game still screws up objectives. Tells me to clear things and when I do, it does not acknowledge that I did. Happened 3 times so far just in the swap. can't wait to get out of the swamp....

I do like the improved gun accuracy, pistols are useful now which is good.

Yes, 8800GTX has had it's run, clear sky is worse than Crysis and the 8800gtx handles Crysis at 1680x1050 at MAX (no AA) at a framerate that is 100% playable EXCEPT at the end boss..(which was a lag fest)

Get yourself a 4870 X2 or a pair of Geforce GTX 280's and you'll be good to go. Granted that's not an option for everyone but if you can afford it the game will give you many hours of enjoyment.

Dan, what settings are you running clear sky at ? I played through the whole game at 2560x1600 using regualr enhanced dynamic lighting and all the setting "sliders" to the right. Except for the sun rays are set to medium along with ssao at medium too. With those I average 60fps throughout.

I actually just patched to the latest 1.5.04 or whatever, and now I am getting about 100% higher framerates.

1920x1200 half AA setting, Everything else on maximum including DX10 lighting.

xrEngine2008-09-1818-59-25-48.jpg

xrEngine2008-09-1819-02-10-55.jpg

xrEngine2008-09-1819-14-29-45.jpg

xrengine200809181927443ih5.jpg

Must have something else going on. I'm playing on the rig in sig, except 8800GTX, at 1920x1200 max AA, everything else auto. (Medium settings i believe) It hovers in the high 40's most of the time figherfights get into the high 30's. Playable, but not impressive or perfect.

Must have something else going on. I'm playing on the rig in sig, except 8800GTX, at 1920x1200 max AA, everything else auto. (Medium settings i believe) It hovers in the high 40's most of the time figherfights get into the high 30's. Playable, but not impressive or perfect.

Yes, the word EXCEPT makes a huge difference because your sig shows 4870X2 which is a BIG difference over 8800gtx so yes, there is something else going on and it's called a slower video card than you.

I was looking at upgrading my GPU. Anyone with a GTX 280 playing clear sky ? Any indication of frame rates at 1920x1200 would be awesome.

Back