Spintires

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Some of you may remember this game being mentioned all the way back in 2010, when it was basically a very rough tech demo of deformable terrain. Spintires is finally nearing release, set for Friday, June 13th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

Basically it's a hardcore off-road driving sim where you explore the terrain and use a variety of vehicles and attachments/mods to transport logs, unlock garages, etc. It even has 4 player multiplayer. There are a bunch of Youtube videos right now of the beta version that was given to original Kickstarter supporters... some of the best ones that really show off the physics and graphics are here: https://www.youtube.com/user/cristineltr/videos There's also a tech demo available on the website, but remember the tech demo is from a year ago and MANY things have changed since then.

It's been in development for such a long time that it's awesome to finally see it about to come out. The devs have said they plan to continue development (updates and patches) well after release.

I'm looking forward to this. Will probably purchase when I get home

I know a few of the developers for this.. Zane being the main man behind the project.. Nice group of developers, artists and lua scripters they have over at Oovee.

Looks kind of like Farming Simulator but with more realistic vehicle physics.

Not at all alike.. I mean, honestly they couldn't be more different aside from that they both involve large wheeled vehicles.

Well I watched much of that hour-long video and it looks like you primarily drive around, get logs, deliver said logs to a location, etc. Of course in Farming Simulator you are doing more with crops rather than just driving around delivering, but that is a big part of that game as well.

I guess I just don't know why I should be excited about this game other than the vehicle physics, which are cool but also look fairly "bouncy" compared to reality.

I would consider SpinTires more of an advanced playable tech demo with some gaming elements thrown in to keep you entertained a bit. Albeit I'm just speculating between the tech demo itself and what I know they are adding to the final product etc.. The technology is very neat considering the small package size.

Well I watched much of that hour-long video and it looks like you primarily drive around, get logs, deliver said logs to a location, etc. Of course in Farming Simulator you are doing more with crops rather than just driving around delivering, but that is a big part of that game as well.

I guess I just don't know why I should be excited about this game other than the vehicle physics, which are cool but also look fairly "bouncy" compared to reality.

It's a niche product for sure, most gamers wouldn't find much interest in the topic matter.

Played this for four and a half hours tonight, hahaha... lots of fun in multiplayer, having one person in one of the massive rescue trucks towing me with a load of logs. I know it sounds lame or uninteresting but it's crazy fun.

Played this for four and a half hours tonight, hahaha... lots of fun in multiplayer, having one person in one of the massive rescue trucks towing me with a load of logs. I know it sounds lame or uninteresting but it's crazy fun.

Del.gif

It's biggest attraction is the free roam driving. A lot of guys (myself included) have built or have rigs for offroading. The modability of this game allows for a very realistic off road simulator unlike anything out there currently. Rigs of Rod is the closest thing to a 4wheeling simulator. The mod community for the demo made some sick maps and custom rigs modeled after real rigs. Not to mention it brings a very realistic terrain that moves with the tires, differential control, winching, etc.

it is a niche game like said above, but it;s one thats been long awaited by many.

How big is the download for this? I am almost at my datacap this billing cycle. ;(

I think that the multiplayer is awesome. Co-op gaming where you don't have to shoot stuff all the time. Need more co-op games!

Awesome, thanks for the info, downloading now, looking forward to MP.

Surprisingly fun to play, didn't do MP yet, but here are some SP tips:

- use the jeep to explore the map, uncloak, unlock other trucks
- the long log trailer isn't worth it in SP maps, it only holds 6 units, so you have to go back for 2 anyway
- use the C-225 with the log cart and a medium log trailer, C-225 also has great ground clearance

Will do MP tonight, the issue with MP is that you sort of need to be able to put aside a couple solid hours, it's not for the WoT crowd that's used to 15 minute matches at a time.

Last edited:
I've been watching streams of multiplayer since the game launched and it looks to be an absolute riot! One poor streamer is in the military and refused to go to sleep because he was having so much fun. When he missed his post, his commander called him in to work while on the stream. He ignored it. Then his commander texted him. Poor guy ignored it again to pretend to be "drunk". So then 30 minutes later he called his commander back and the guy said that they really needed him to come in and man his post on the base.

I felt so bad for him because his audience had been talking to him for 8 hours straight about his game experience which fueled his desire to persevere on. His fellow military friends playing with him had all fallen asleep except for one that said he would "hold the map open" until his buddies got off work so they could complete it. That's some dedication there! :)

Just like any other online game, multi-player with strangers tends to suck. I joined a few games and it's all retards dropping vehicles out of the sky using the dev code.

However, also had one game with a couple friends and it was great, albeit a bit slow paced. Ended up using the rescue truck to just tow another truck with the 4 point garage trailer all the way across the map, while a fuel truck followed.

An action game this is not. The slow pace is fine in SP where you can just chill and step away or tab out when you need to do something else. In MP the pace is too slow to really achieve anything in a reasonable amount of time.

Final verdict; wait for 50-80% off sale.

the game looks awesome, will pick it up if it goes on sale any time soon.

also, for some "real-life" examples, you may want to watch "siberian cut" on discovery.
It is a logging show but it gives a really interesting perspective on the russian life

Gonna pick up the demo but even after watching videos/Twitch streaming I don't see the appeal of this game. If it was a racing game or demo derby with these car/mud/tire physics, I could see it being really intriguing then.

Looks interesting as a tech demo, but maybe not enough "game" for me. My 9-year old nephew would have a blast playing it, and it's a good example of what "next gen" should be offering: new gaming mechanics based on advanced physics.

OMG

where has this been all my life

now can we have tanks and APCs?

Gonna pick up the demo but even after watching videos/Twitch streaming I don't see the appeal of this game. If it was a racing game or demo derby with these car/mud/tire physics, I could see it being really intriguing then.

Yeah, if you are not stoked after watching the videos or streams then it's almost certain that you will not enjoy this game. It's very niche regardless of having been #1 on the Steam sales list for a few hours.

The game is actually hard even if it is slow paced. Delivering the lumber loads without tipping the truck over and losing the load in the mud can be challenging especially in SP where you don't have the convenience of having a tow truck nearby or already hooked up.

Looks interesting as a tech demo, but maybe not enough "game" for me. My 9-year old nephew would have a blast playing it, and it's a good example of what "next gen" should be offering: new gaming mechanics based on advanced physics.

Well, everyone hails the physics, but honestly, there are plenty of cases where the physics are clearly very meh. The vehicle physics may be great and accurate, but the rock physics suck. Some rocks are bouncing like beachballs, some rocks you dig out of the mud easily even though they are clearly several hundred pounds, etc., it's somewhat disappointing.

The rendering distance is a huge issue. You have rocks pop-in at close distances and then move around even though your vehicle isn't even close to them. So it's not all rainbows and pink unicorns! ;)

ugh

horrible horrible shadow flickering, even if I turn everything down...even if I drop 2 monitors and try at 1080

I was really stoked for this too

And also an Article 15... At least it should be... sounds like the military has gotten even more pussified since I was in....

Pretty sure the story about skipping duty is all fake just to create buzz to increase Twitch followers to make more cash. Nothing else makes sense. No one will risk disciplinary action in the military to play Spintires.

The rendering distance is a huge issue. You have rocks pop-in at close distances and then move around even though your vehicle isn't even close to them. So it's not all rainbows and pink unicorns! ;)
I haven't found draw distance to be a big issue, but they did go a bit too conservative on it. The game performs well, and they should have allowed to tweak the draw distance to taste.

Unmistakably, the camera is the biggest turn-off. It's usually okay, but when you need more than what it offers, you're completely humped. At the very least an unlocked 'free roam'-type camera option would've been hugely useful.

managed to get the flickering down to bearable levels by going into windowed mode, still a lot of shadow pop but not seizure inducing

played till 03:00, best physics yet

Back