Some insight into Rome and new 7nm process for Zen 2

Interesting video, still a bit too much on the rumor side but sounds like AMD might have a big winner coming.

Hopefully AMD can maintain momentum, and take advantage of the downtime between now and intels next real update to their chips. We need a 2 cpu ecosystem :D no more $500 i7s

Hopefully AMD can maintain momentum, and take advantage of the downtime between now and intels next real update to their chips. We need a 2 cpu ecosystem :D no more $500 i7s

Intel still produces monolithic dies which means they lost it is as simple as that.

Intel still produces monolithic dies which means they lost it is as simple as that.

they hired keller who helped design the zen architecture so they'll probably have a replacement within the next couple years.

they hired keller who helped design the zen architecture so they'll probably have a replacement within the next couple years.

I know that part but between getting a new cpu and their fabs in order AMD should be well on their way. If it is the same couple of years that Intel been talking about getting their 10nm going then it will be a while ;) .

Keep Calm 2.png

It really appears like AMD is about to open up a great big can of whoop ass onto the server processor market next year and Intel is going to get spanked really hard. Nice to see Intel finally getting some competition for a change as they've been on top for far to long and have become complacent. It appears that 2019 is shaping up to be their wake-up call. Now if only AMD could do the same to Nvidia...

It really appears like AMD is about to open up a great big can of whoop ass onto the server processor market next year and Intel is going to get spanked really hard. Nice to see Intel finally getting some competition for a change as they've been on top for far to long and have become complacent. It appears that 2019 is shaping up to be their wake-up call. Now if only AMD could do the same to Nvidia...

If the rumors hold true then yeah should be a banner year coming up for AMD. I know I am looking forward to seeing Zen 2 as I figured to upgrade to it.

AMD presentation regarding Rome and the rest of the data centre news.

Does this mean that the Intel-Vega frankenmonster is actually closer to the future of AMD 7nm APU's than the monlithic RavenRidge design?

A smaller IO chip with two DDR4 3200 channels to two IF links; one to a 7nm Zen2 8C chiplet, and the other to a 1024 7nm Navi shaders + Video out.

The Zen2 chiplet would have 16x PCIe lanes, which would split: 8x for external GPU, 4x for M.2 drive, and 4x for misc IO.

Back