Sold brand new 6990, buyer refuses to claim the warranty....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done at least 7-8 RMA to MSI. U dont need the receipt. All you need is to make up a purchase date(or ask the seller original purchase date and place). Also the card was brand new, so i will have to side with seller. It is not seller fault that brand new card comes out faulty.

besides, he was nice to offer $40 refund to cover your hassle.

If the card was sold new sealed in box & it was received new sealed in box (damaged or no) then it should be a warranty issue.

Seller should send a copy of the receipt.. No fucking questions asked.. If the buyer try's to pull one over on you at that point that's just more fuel to burn him with in the paypal dispute process.

Another option is the Seller calls the manufacturer & does the COMPLETE rma using the buyers address. it basically means a phone call for the seller & the buyer has to ship to the manufacturer. The downside of this is if there is another problem within warranty period the seller would again need to help.

after reading the thread it would appear to me that both the buyer & seller are being pig headed..

As for a dispute being filed while your still working on resolution.. Thats fucking lame ass bull shit.. Disputes are not for returning merchandise. Disputes are for when the seller wont fucking let you return it. Plus when you file a dispute on the seller win or loose the seller is hurt by paypal as they treat the account differently (I had a period where all funds sent to me had a 30 day hold after a dispute that I won).

I have done at least 7-8 RMA to MSI. U dont need the receipt. All you need is to make up a purchase date(or ask the seller original purchase date and place). Also the card was brand new, so i will have to side with seller. It is not seller fault that brand new card comes out faulty.

besides, he was nice to offer $40 refund to cover your hassle.

You're right, it's not the sellers fault that it's defective but shouldn't the seller guarantee at least a non DOA product, regardless of if its factory sealed or not. This is important to me since I do sell and buy factory sealed products on the forums.

Is it an unwritten understanding that if a sealed product is sold and is DOA, the buyer bears the responsibility of RMA, even if the buyer doesn't want to deal with the hassle of the process and wants his/her money back. If this is the case then I want to make that disclaimer the next time I buy or sell.

I've RMA'ed before and every single time its been a pain in the @$$. That's why i ignore all those notices to return stuff to the manufacturer and just return it to the vendor within the allotted days.

after reading the thread it would appear to me that both the buyer & seller are being pig headed..

What haven't I done to resolve the situation? Please tell me how I'm being pigheaded. The only thing I disagreed to was giving him his money before he returned the item. That's it. Nothing else have I had a problem with.

He just has it in his head that he needs paypal to monitor the entire return. Which is not what the paypal dispute process is for. It clearly says that. He could get his money in a week or get a new card in a bit longer. For some reason he chose to wait way longer.....I still don't think he understands that.

Does it matter who the card is registered to for RMA? If he is trying to register the card then you might have an issue if he sends it back to you.

Note: this is just a similar anecdotal story, not saying anything about the parties involved.

I bought a new 5850 back in the day from Amazon. Sold it on ebay. Buyer receives it, and registers it. Leaves me feedback saying he loves the card. A week later he tells me the fan is making a noise. I asked him if he had done anything to it He wants to return it. I said there are no returns on that item, you are past the 3 day inspection period stated on my auction.

He files a SNAD claim with paypal. He says in the claim that the item is defective, not working and that I won't respond to him. I responded and showed all my documentation to paypal.

They sided with him. He sent the card back to me. The card worked but did indeed make a fan noise... one of the fans had a bad bearing or something. I went to RMA it... but I can't because he registered it to himself already.

I contacted paypal and I was basically screwed. I didn't do anything wrong but I ended up with a card that I had to fix and use myself and couldn't really sell because it wasn't registered to me and when I did finally sell it I sold it with no warranty... thank goodness the bitcoin craze came along and I sold it then.

I hope this works out for you both, but I think you both need to be a bit more understanding. From personal experience, you can't issue a refund before the merch is returned, but I also understand the buyer being upset about ending up with a defective card. To the buyer... I would recommend that you don't register the card if you can get warranty service without registering it.... if you register it and then paypal sides with you and says to ship it back then it's going to suck even worse for the seller.

Please tell me how I'm being pigheaded.

It took you 107 posts in this thread until you told him where it came from. Whats pig headed about that?

Again you sell something new in box & the buyer wants to see the receipt then that shouldn't even be questioned. Give them the god damn receipt..

But the buyer didn't even ask before filing the dispute, so I can see where the seller is coming from.

Not wanting to provide the full copy is also completely understandable. I wouldn't want to give out my personal information either; that's why I make sure to properly dispose of my receipts unless I'm paying in cash. Even if it's a baseless concern, it's kind of like an OCD thing, where you just don't feel safe doing it even if everyone else says it is okay.

theres no personal information on the receipt and even if there was it would be a name and email address, and guess what.....the buyer had even more than that from the paypal transaction details, so the excuse of trying to protect "personal information" is bunk, yes it is OCD, but it's still not an excuse.....

i honestly think the buyer would not have filed the dispute if he had been provided a copy of the original receipt, because when he went to register and file for RMA he would have absolutely nothing to complain about. From MSI's point of view this guy would be the original buyer since they don't require a copy of the receipt, only basic info from it. I don't honestly thing the buyer was provided everything I would expect from a $600 purchase, which would absolutely include a copy of the original receipt. No excuses. I give you $600 you had better be able to produce a receipt for a "new" item. Of course I would make that clear before I ever paid you....but as a seller this is just good practice.

It took you 107 posts in this thread until you told him where it came from. Whats pig headed about that?

Again you sell something new in box & the buyer wants to see the receipt then that shouldn't even be questioned. Give them the god damn receipt..

this

Good lord dude. He didn't request the receipt or where it was from until he after he filed a dispute wanting to return it. If he wouldve sent me a pm asking where I got the card I wouldve told him, he didn't. After the dispute was created it would be stupid for me to give him the info because he could now warranty it and possibly send me a fake box when paypal tells him to return it.

I only broke down and said it in the hope that he would RMA and drill the dispute. I was willing to trust him by doing that, but he wont close the dispute. I never refused to give him anything from the receipt. If he needed info, he couldve asked. He didnt. Still think IM pig headed?

Good lord dude. He didn't request the receipt or where it was from until he after he filed a dispute wanting to return it. If he wouldve sent me a pm asking where I got the card I wouldve told him, he didn't. After the dispute was created it would be stupid for me to give him the info because he could now warranty it and possibly send me a fake box when paypal tells him to return it.

I only broke down and said it in the hope that he would RMA and drill the dispute. I was willing to trust him by doing that, but he wont close the dispute. I never refused to give him anything from the receipt. If he needed info, he couldve asked. He didnt. Still think IM pig headed?

In this thread alone it took 98 posts after he said it..

I can tell you that If I sell something High dollar.. I include a copy of the receipt in the box when I send it (any CC info blacked out of course)..

theres no personal information on the receipt and even if there was it would be a name and email address, and guess what.....the buyer had even more than that from the paypal transaction details, so the excuse of trying to protect "personal information" is bunk, yes it is OCD, but it's still not an excuse.....

i honestly think the buyer would not have filed the dispute if he had been provided a copy of the original receipt, because when he went to register and file for RMA he would have absolutely nothing to complain about. From MSI's point of view this guy would be the original buyer since they don't require a copy of the receipt, only basic info from it. I don't honestly thing the buyer was provided everything I would expect from a $600 purchase, which would absolutely include a copy of the original receipt. No excuses. I give you $600 you had better be able to produce a receipt for a "new" item. Of course I would make that clear before I ever paid you....but as a seller this is just good practice.

this

What? When the problem first happened I suggested he RMA it. He came back and said he didn't want to deal with it and instead wanted a return. HE DID NOT say anything about needing any info from the receipt to RMA it until after he filed the dispute.

How am I supposed to give him the receipt for the RMA if he doesn't tell me he needs it? Please explain that and then tell me what I did wrong.

I guess what i keep saying is, the buyer should never have had to request the receipt, especially on a $600 "brand new purchase". If for no other reason than to cover your own ass, you could have and should when possible in the future, include a copy of the full receipt in the box with the item. When you sell something as new simply state, with receipt or without. That clears everyone. If he would have received a card, broken or not, new in the box, with a copy of the original receipt, he would never have filed the claim. If he had filed a claim anyways, you would have something to stand on. Your case would be credible. Nobody would be listening to him, they would be telling him to RMA the new card with the receipt provided. He would have no excuse.

I guess what i keep saying is, the buyer should never have had to request the receipt, especially on a $600 "brand new purchase". If for no other reason than to cover your own ass, you could have and should when possible in the future, include a copy of the full receipt in the box with the item. When you sell something as new simply state, with receipt or without. That clears everyone. If he would have received a card, broken or not, new in the box, with a copy of the original receipt, he would never have filed the claim. If he had filed a claim anyways, you would have something to stand on. Your case would be credible. Nobody would be listening to him, they would be telling him to RMA the new card with the receipt provided. He would have no excuse.

DUDE, you don't need the receipt or even the vendor to rma with MSI! you don't need it. At all. For anything. So there is no excuse not to rma it.

DUDE, you don't need the receipt or even the vendor to rma with MSI! you don't need it. At all. For anything. So there is no excuse not to rma it.

DUDE i get that, but if he had included it the buyer would not be able to use not having the receipt as a reason he can't RMA.....if he had the receipt and still refused to RMA, he would clearly be in the wrong, but with the seller being so coy about providing the receipt, it makes the buyer nervous, so he was much quicker to jump to filing a claim.....it would make me nervous too if I asked for it and the seller said, "i can't give you a copy of the original receipt because it has other items on it". Thats as much a BS excuse as not being able to RMA it without the receipt. Clearly the seller would be right to not send the "original receipt" but providing a copy is something I would expect if I dropped $600 on anything if it was sold to me as "brand new unopened"

DUDE i get that, but if he had included it the buyer would not be able to use not having the receipt as a reason he can't RMA.....if he had the receipt and still refused to RMA, he would clearly be in the wrong, but with the seller being so coy about providing the receipt, it makes the buyer nervous, so he was much quicker to jump to filing a claim.....it would make me nervous too if I asked for it and the seller said, "i can't give you a copy of the original receipt because it has other items on it". Thats as much a BS excuse as not being able to RMA it without the receipt. Clearly the seller would be right to not send the "original receipt" but providing a copy is something I would expect if I dropped $600 on anything if it was sold to me as "brand new unopened"

ok, agreed. No good reason not to give the receipt anyway.

So, is the card getting shipped back, or what?

Guy earlier had a great idea about using a mod/trusted 3rd party. Seller leaves dispute open and sends card to 3rd party. 3rd party verifies the item, the dispute gets dropped, money refunded, and card shipped back to seller.

I don't think you guys trust each other enough to do this on your own.

Just let the paypal dispute go through,I am pretty sure they will require the card be sent back before they issue any kind of refund,since both of you can not come to a solution that either of you are comfortable with that seems to be the only way.But to be honest It never should have come to this buyer should have either RMA'd the card when he realized it was borked or just sent it back to the seller.I would not have sent the receipt either If I had any thoughts of being scammed,a copy via email would have sufficed.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on a fully functioning card once the seller receives it.

please keep us updated on how paypal handles this.

Guy earlier had a great idea about using a mod/trusted 3rd party. Seller leaves dispute open and sends card to 3rd party. 3rd party verifies the item, the dispute gets dropped, money refunded, and card shipped back to seller.

I don't think you guys trust each other enough to do this on your own.

when i read that i thought it was an exceptional idea, if someone was willing to sit on $600 and be in the middle

Just let the paypal dispute go through,I am pretty sure they will require the card be sent back before they issue any kind of refund,since both of you can not come to a solution that either of you are comfortable with that seems to be the only way.But to be honest It never should have come to this buyer should have either RMA'd the card when he realized it was borked or just sent it back to the seller.I would not have sent the receipt either If I had any thoughts of being scammed,a copy via email would have sufficed.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on a fully functioning card once the seller receives it.

how exactly would the buyer getting a copy of the receipt allow the buyer to scam the seller?

Wew, I have been f-ed in the b-hole hard this way. Sold an item. Buyer filed a dispute. Tried to work it out, but finally decided to let the dispute run it's coarse. The buyer was refunded by Paypal after almost 2 months and I received a box with a brick in it instead of the Cisco VPN/firewall I sold him.

This was many years ago though. Has Paypal revised their policies, or is the seller still pretty much at the mercy of the buyer?

What is it with you guys and the damn receipt. He knew he wasn't getting it. I told him before hand that I wasn't including the receipt but will send him a copy if he needs it for warranty issues. He never asked for it until the dispute was filed.

I didn't say I was including the receipt but than didn't, I clearly said what I was doing beforehand and he agreed. Plus I have never received a receipt when buying resold new hardware.

None of this even matters. If he was genuine about RMAing it, he would. He has everything he needs, but he wont say why he isn't willing to do that.

So do you still want to try and pin this on me when it was told beforehand that the original receipt would not be included but a copy would be provided via pm if needed? He didnt even try to ask me for it. He just filed a dispute.

Get it?

So to play devils advocate.. I had to RMA a MSI 890gxm a while back & They did request the receipt..

None of this even matters. If he was genuine about RMAing it, he would. He has everything he needs, but he wont say why he isn't willing to do that.

So do you still want to try and pin this on me when it was told beforehand that the original receipt would not be included but a copy would be provided via pm if needed? He didnt even try to ask me for it. He just filed a dispute.

Get it?

what is our deal with the receipt? i dont know about you, but $600 is a huge chunk of change. I don't buy anything that expensive without a receipt. I would feel strange selling it without.

You didn't provide even the place of purchase until the 107th post. Instead you kept giving excuses about why you can't provide it and wanted to argue with him about why he even needs it. That sent the wrong message to him as a buyer who is holding a $600 video card that is messed up. Let me tell you something bro. First off I would not buy a brand new card without a receipt copy. You both failed there. Secondly, if I did take that chance, the first time I as a buyer told you it was messed up my immediate and complete expectation of a response would be "here is a copy of the receipt", if you need any assistance with the RMA let me know. At that point you have fully complied and at that point if he refused to RMA and wanted a refund you should have said accepted that as it. But from his viewpoint he had no way of knowing if you would send the money back. He already stuck out his neck by buying online, without receipt, and paid up front. The very first sign of resistance would have me covering my ass too. As a buyer.

. ...like bastage said earlier....he asked several times about the receipt. He should never have to ask. To be honest it was fully within his rights to return to you. Or RMA. He chose to return and file a dispute. There is no more talking about RMA after that. Had you included the receipt before hand he would not be able to use your refusal to submit receipt as reason to file a claim.

Get it?

What is it with you guys and the damn receipt. He knew he wasn't getting it. I told him before hand that I wasn't including the receipt but will send him a copy if he needs it for warranty issues. He never asked for it until the dispute was filed.

I didn't say I was including the receipt but than didn't, I clearly said what I was doing beforehand and he agreed. Plus I have never received a receipt when buying resold new hardware.

Get it?

why is giving anyone a receipt a problem unless the card isn't brought new? in your for sale thread you stated that you got the card as a gift.

so did you buy it or did you get it as a gift?

First its you agree to a paypal based refund then deny it, next its im trying to scam you, then its I didn't ask for the receipt ......... make up your mind please. email me the receipt with the personal/sensitive stuff blacked out, paypal me the $40 for my time and month an a half i will be card less and I will stop the dispute, use this thread as proof if you want.

from what I remember, before I even paid I asked you for the invoice, you didn't know what that was, I said receipt you were like oh ok yea. I made sure specifically when I sent you the $600 in the title or message box I made sure I put in please attach receipt. I was wrong to not specify copy of it with personal sensitive stuff blacked out, but i assumed that was common sense.

"You should just have to register the card, but I'll go ahead and throw the receipt and other documents in with it.

Thanks"

12-01-2011, 09:12 AM

You agreed on including it on 12-01-2011, 9:12AM. Don't even give me that bullshit I didnt ask

I think this case is fairly clear, receipt was not provided, buyer has now offered to still RMA with provided receipt and appropriate compensation, win win

what is our deal with the receipt? i dont know about you, but $600 is a huge chunk of change. I don't buy anything that expensive without a receipt. I would feel strange selling it without.

You didn't provide even the place of purchase until the 107th post. Instead you kept giving excuses about why you can't provide it and wanted to argue with him about why he even needs it. That sent the wrong message to him as a buyer who is holding a $600 video card that is messed up. Let me tell you something bro. First off I would not buy a brand new card without a receipt copy. You both failed there. Secondly, if I did take that chance, the first time I as a buyer told you it was messed up my immediate and complete expectation of a response would be "here is a copy of the receipt", if you need any assistance with the RMA let me know. At that point you have fully complied and at that point if he refused to RMA and wanted a refund you should have said accepted that as it. But from his viewpoint he had no way of knowing if you would send the money back. He already stuck out his neck by buying online, without receipt, and paid up front. The very first sign of resistance would have me covering my ass too. As a buyer.

. ...like bastage said earlier....he asked several times about the receipt. He should never have to ask. To be honest it was fully within his rights to return to you. Or RMA. He chose to return and file a dispute. There is no more talking about RMA after that. Had you included the receipt before hand he would not be able to use your refusal to submit receipt as reason to file a claim.

Get it?

What is so hard to understand? He never asked for the receipt until AFTER he filed a dispute. If he would've asked before hand, I would've given it to him.

I didn't want to give him the receipt with the dispute pending because that opens up ways for him to scam me by claiming the warranty and then sending me nothing in a box.

People keep missing key facts here. I only ended up finally giving him the place of purchase because I was frustrated and hoped that he wasn't trying to scam me, but look, he has all the info he needs, and still isn't RMAing or closing the dispute.

Giving him the receipt AFTER THE DISPUTE WAS FILED made the chances of me getting scammed even bigger. That is why I wanted to dispute cancelled before doing so.

Jesus...

What is so hard to understand? He never asked for the receipt until AFTER he filed a dispute. If he would've asked before hand, I would've given it to him.

I didn't want to give him the receipt with the dispute pending because that opens up ways for him to scam me by claiming the warranty and then sending me nothing in a box.

People keep missing key facts here. I only ended up finally giving him the place of purchase because I was frustrated and hoped that he wasn't trying to scam me, but look, he has all the info he needs, and still isn't RMAing or closing the dispute.

Giving him the receipt AFTER THE DISPUTE WAS FILED made the chances of me getting scammed even bigger. That is why I wanted to dispute cancelled before doing so.

Jesus...

once he cancel a open claim he cannot open a new dispute anymore. so it would not be in his interest to do that.

i don't know how is not clear to you seller to just give him the receipt because 1. like you state msi don't need receipt for warranty, so even if you don' provide to him, he can still claim warranty. I guess he just feel comfortable getting the receipt from you. So might as well just take his offer and give him the receipt and settle it with him instead of going back and forth

Are you blackmailing him? Your not special guy.

no, the seller offered the buyer $40 and a copy of the receipt so the buyer can RMA the card and the $40 is to cover his expenses for shipping and inconvenience for receiving a broken $600 product

I'm glad I'm not involved in this. there is alot of distrust on both sides, if I sold the card I would verify I gave the buyer a copy of the receipt then after the rma was accepted then the buyer should drop the case, unless he is scamming the seller since there isn't anything else needed from the seller. Or the buyer should ship the card back and quit being a douche because no body here would refund without the card in their hands.

unnecessary continued discussion.......

First its you agree to a paypal based refund then deny it, next its im trying to scam you, then its I didn't ask for the receipt ......... make up your mind please. email me the receipt with the personal/sensitive stuff blacked out, paypal me the $40 for my time and month an a half i will be card less and I will stop the dispute, use this thread as proof if you want.

from what I remember, before I even paid I asked you for the invoice, you didn't know what that was, I said receipt you were like oh ok yea. I made sure specifically when I sent you the $600 in the title or message box I made sure I put in please attach receipt. I was wrong to not specify copy of it with personal sensitive stuff blacked out, but i assumed that was common sense.

There is your amiable solution, the buyer has agreed to cancel the claim against you with Paypal, if you provide a copy of the receipt and give him the $40 allowance, win win

I think this case is fairly clear, receipt was not provided, buyer has now offered to still RMA with provided receipt and appropriate compensation, win win

I told him I would send him the receipt if he needed it. I didn't want to send the whole receipt because it has thousands of dollars worth of stuff on it and personal info about my preferred account with Tiger Direct.

You said you only needed to know where the item was bought, I already told you. Now you're saying you want the whole receipt.....if all you need is to know where it was bought, why do you suddenly need the receipt?

I'll go ahead and take a leap of faith here and send you the receipt, but since you've got my paypal account frozen and in the negative, I can't give you $40 until you close the dispute.

I said I wasn't going to include the receipt. I said that before hand. You including "Please include receipt" in the comments doesn't change that. Plus right when the whole problem started you said you would rather return it to me anyway and not deal with the warranty.

Ask for the receipt when you first had the problem and it would have been yours. I am not guilty of not including the receipt because I said I wasn't going to before the transaction was complete.

Check your pm Vestito. Its pretty crazy that now you're willing to take the $40, but I will go ahead and do it to get you out of my hair, but I can't until the dispute is closed.

I did everything we agreed to. I don't see how anyone can claim that I was wrong for not including the receipt even though the buyer agreed and paid after I had already said I wasn't.

Whatever. We'll see if he actually drops the dispute. I have a feeling he won't.

how exactly would the buyer getting a copy of the receipt allow the buyer to scam the seller?

Did I say that giving the buyer the receipt would allow him to scam the seller?No,I did not.

I said if I had any thoughts of being scammed I would not send the receipt,a email of the original would suffice,as in,he should have sent him a copy via email.:rolleyes:

This whole situation was completely avoidable,but since it has come down to this back and forth between the two that paypal should be left to mediate.

Just because you would have sent the original does not mean that he is wrong for not sending the original.

pretty sure your the one that kept changing things whatever ok, im doing this because im sick of arguing and getting nothing accomplished.

I will let paypal know of our arrangement for $40 to close this case tomorrow, they said theyd get back to me tonight but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back