Sold brand new 6990, buyer refuses to claim the warranty....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabiancym

Limp Gawd
I sold a brand new still sealed 6990 to someone who looking back I probably shouldn't have, and now there are problems.

The 6990 was brand new and never even been open. Before the purchase he asked about whether or not he would be able to register it for the warranty and of course I confirmed that he could since I've never touched the card.

He receives the card and says that the fans are messed up on it and that he can't get it to work. I told him he should claim the warranty and he would have a new card sent to him. For some reason he is refusing to do so and instead wants a full refund from me BEFORE he ships the card back.....

I was selling a lot of stuff at once so I got a bit lost in all the info, but looking back at this guy he has only a 1 heatware, registered on these forums AFTER I made the post, and hasn't posted since. Apparently he registered just to buy the card. He also has an unverified paypal account. I shouldn't have sold it to him, but he paid quickly and I wanted to get rid of the card.

Shouldn't he just claim the warranty? Those boxes always say to not contact the reseller but to contact the manufacturer with any problems, so why is he trying to get a full refund? He's filed a dispute against me on paypal and has stopped responding to my messages.

He also keeps saying that he wants the receipt, which I know isn't true for the warranty, and I told him I couldn't because there are other items on the receipt. However I was more than willing to send a scan of his item if for some reason he needs it to claim the warranty.

He still refuses and has kept the dispute open. So my paypal account is now in a negative balance and the $600+ I was going to use for Christmas shopping is now gone until paypal resolves it. With all his unverified info, do you think he'll lose the claim? I know paypal favors buyers, but this is ridiculous. I am not going to refund the guy $600 before I get the card back. Especially since he has repeatedly asked for the receipt. He could easily claim the warranty after I refund him, or just return the item using the receipt if I had given it to him.

What do I do? I have uploaded pictures of his register date, suspicious messages, etc. but for some reason I am not able to add any comments to the dispute, only files.

I've even offered this guy $40 just for the trouble of having to go through the warranty process and he still refuses. He keeps bitching about now he doesn't have a GPU in his system, but for some reason isn't interested in getting a new card via the warranty. Paypal will take much longer to make their judgement, and by the time he gets the refund and gets a new card ship to him he could've had a new one via the warranty....

This guy has screwed me over big time financially. Is there anything I can do?

P.S. I have plenty of heatware, verified paypal, verified accounts, and even a paypal preferred account. So although I'd rather resolve this asap, I'm hoping I stand a shot at winning the dispute.

Thanks

paypal typically would make him send the card back to you before they refund the money
it's quite unfortunate though, that is why i typically only sell high value items to people who has decent amount of feedback to avoid situation like this. I rather take less money selling to people with high feedback than take a risk.

No one issues a refund before the merchandise is returned....have him send it back and then issue the refund...that's the way its supposed to work......

I'm fairly confident that PayPal will end up resolving in his favor and you will have the funds deducted from your account.
My guess is that because you're not a factory-authorized reseller, you're not able to dictate the customer's actions by directing them to the manufacturer in the event of an issue.

PayPal will respond saying that the issue is a return due to defect and it is your responsibility, issue the refund, and close the case.

Prepare yourself to expect the worst and hope for the best.
You'll want to escalate to get the buyer to send the item back to you and insist that they send it with tracking, signature confirmation, and insurance so that he doesn't try any more funny business with your video card.

Once returned, file the claim with the mfr. and you'll have to deal with the warranty on your own.

p.s. Screw that guy for being so difficult. You can almost smell the deceitful intentions on his part if everything you're saying is accurate. It sucks how inconsiderate and petty people can be with issues such as these sometimes. Good luck to you.

I also sell things here, so I understand your frustration.

From his perspective, and presuming you're both telling the truth, he bought a brand-new card and doesn't like that it didn't work right off the bat. He's decided he'd rather have his money back than go through the hassle of warranty service, which, generally, is a pain. It kind of makes sense--it would make more sense if he had bought it from Amazon, and he doesn't seem to understand that you're not a major retailer.

At the moment you're clearly paying the price for selling to a disreputable buyer. Even if he's not trying to scam you, you're still out the money while PayPal investigates. That sucks. This is your punishment for selling to a disreputable buyer. Hopefully things get cleared up soon, but I know the PayPal process can take weeks.

I don't believe he can actually get your money without "proving" some sort of malfeasance on your part. Especially if he still has the item and hasn't returned it. If he has no verified info, I would be very surprised if PayPal sided with him--despite the fact that it's PayPal.

As for now, what I would recommend is to help expedite his warranty claim by perhaps speaking with the manufacturer of the card's customer support. You'll need to get the buyer to start responding somehow, and you'll have to explain to him that, although you're not responsible for the fact that the card is broken, you would like to help sort things out.

You can also consider convincing him to cancel the dispute by filing a claim with the shipper for the card. They may try to get in touch with him to check out the package, or they may just send him a check for the amount they determine the package to be worth (hopefully you told the shipper that the package was worth more than $100 when you shipped it).

Good luck, and let us know how everything shakes out.

Advice to everyone else: don't sell to disreputable buyers. Make sure they are verified and have good Heatware. Explain beforehand that you're not responsible for returns/exchanges. Explain the rules of the transaction--such as if is the item provided as-is, and if the buyer will have to go through the manufacturer for warranty service if there's a problem.

If I bought something brand new in the package, sealed, never used etc. I'd claim warranty with the manufacturer.

How did he pay for the purchase? If it was as a gift paypal won't give him any protection and he'd be fucked.

Other than that if you have all the shipping info uploaded you should be ok, but I wouldn't expect to see the $600 anytime soon. Did you take any pics of the card before you shipped it? He probably fucked up installing it and wants to blame you since it won't get warrantied.

I have had issues before with this type of stuff but to me it sounds like he paided for it and wants the money back so he get s a free card...

IF he wont send it back and wants the money? I mean goodluck and it should favor in your side..

Ok, I can post here awesome. shouldve saved my message to the mod so I don't have to type it.

heres the TL;DR

1. Sold my 580 on amazon; needed graphics card, no ones selling anything good on Overclock.net, I begin to look on other forums and sites.
2. Found 6990 for $600!!!! OMG ok buying this, create account - messsage seller, $600, paid!
3. sitting on integrated graphics waiting for card to arrive. It arrives, plug in, instantly hear something wrong with fan, checks temp 103 deg C. PANIC. Turn off, pull out praying it didn't melt my system with it.
4. contact seller on what I should be doing.
5. Try to claim warranty, it requires me knowing where I bought the card from, It didn't have a option "random reseller online fourm" which is why im asking to see a copy of the receipt.
6. No receipt....
7. Contact seller, to get refund/return card, trying to get a safe way for both of us. If we agree to a refund on paypal then after I send the card back.... He would have to give me refund right? Seller agrees to it. ok so i start dispute on paypal saying, " As per our conversation, we agreed that this would be the best way to get the card back to you and a refund"
8. Seller sees paypal money frozen, FREAKS OUT, gets hostile. Beings saying stuff like how trusted I am, You will never win the dispute here is $40 dollars take it and leave. me: ???
9. Esclate dispute to claim, gota get moneys back one way or another yea?

PS: I have never said I want the money before I send it back, I just dont want to be stuck in a position where I sent it back and he said he got an empty box or something, I wanted to go through paypal for the return, we agreed to it and now this..?

Out for lunch, will be back after to check the situation.

When in this whole situation am I trying to pull a fast one on you?? I got a defective card and no help on the RMA side... only seems right you either fix the problem or refund me my money?

Last edited:
Does he have verified Heat/etc? Seems like something someone would do if they intended to not ship the card back after you refunded them.. I see no reason why he should be refunded before you receive the card, no manufacturer will do what he is asking.. so why should you?

He has to send the item back to you, agree to issue a refund once the item is received. There is not much you can do, you can also just opt to pay him off so to speak, so that he deals with the warranty process, if he agrees to a partial refund, and paypal will release the rest of the funds.

Also, be careful that if he registers the card, and then sends it back to you, you may be ineligible for warranty work on the card.

I have been in touch with the buyer so I am going to ask everyone to not speculate as to what may have transpired until we can get both sides of the story....
Let them work it out here, without having to defend themselves against accusations from other parties not directly involved

I have been in touch with the buyer so I am going to ask everyone to not speculate as to what may have transpired until we can get both sides of the story....
Let them work it out here, without having to defend themselves against accusations from other parties not directly involved

Hard to work it out here when he doesn't even respond. I offered to help with the warranty, scan receipts if needed, and even give a partial refund for the trouble.

The whole problem stems from him just not wanting to claim the warranty. Him being lazy is not an excuse to freeze $600+ dollars out of my account. The only other thing that could be going on is that he somehow voided the warranty himself and is now trying to get his money back and send me a worthless card.

I'd like to hear his "side" of the story. Because so far I've only heard "I don't feel like claiming the warranty" and "I don't want to ship it back without getting the money first."

That's pretty much it.

I have everything extremely well documented. From pictures of it in my presence brand new, serial numbers, tracking numbers, all of his messages and info, even recorded me dropping it off at UPS. I've had something like this happen to me before, so I take a crazy amount of caution when selling now. So if he is pulling something and somehow gets away with it I am going to the police with everything. This isn't some flash drive, it's an expensive piece of hardware.

I will refund him and do the warranty myself, but only if he sends me the card first, and only if he closes the false paypal dispute.

Even though it is brand new it can have problems... Altho i think he should RMA it first you said you have provided everything for a rma correct? Why dont you set one up for him using like 123 as a password that he can change since you have all his info?.. So if he is so "lazy" then its done he just has to send it to the company? Altho i would have him agree to that.... sounds good tho the last thing you said...

idk trying to help and throw out ideas....

the paypal dispute basically meant that paypal will hold the money and upon he returns the card , paypal will give that money to him. To be fair, it's a safety thing to do from a buyer's perspective and if you plan to refund him the money, then the amount that paypal freeze up is not your anyway...
Just my 2c

Ok, I can post here awesome. shouldve saved my message to the mod so I don't have to type it.

heres the TL;DR

1. Sold my 580 on amazon; needed graphics card, no ones selling anything good on Overclock.net, I begin to look on other forums and sites.
2. Found 6990 for $600!!!! OMG ok buying this, create account - messsage seller, $600, paid!
3. sitting on integrated graphics waiting for card to arrive. It arrives, plug in, instantly hear something wrong with fan, checks temp 103 deg C. PANIC. Turn off, pull out praying it didn't melt my system with it.
4. contact seller on what I should be doing.
5. Try to claim warranty, it requires me knowing where I bought the card from, It didn't have a option "random reseller online fourm" which is why im asking to see a copy of the receipt.
6. No receipt....
7. Contact seller, to get refund/return card, trying to get a safe way for both of us. If we agree to a refund on paypal then after I send the card back.... He would have to give me refund right? Seller agrees to it. ok so i start dispute on paypal saying, " As per our conversation, we agreed that this would be the best way to get the card back to you and a refund"
8. Seller sees paypal money frozen, FREAKS OUT, gets hostile. Beings saying stuff like how trusted I am, You will never win the dispute here is $40 dollars take it and leave. me: ???
9. Esclate dispute to claim, gota get moneys back one way or another yea?

PS: I have never said I want the money before I send it back, I just dont want to be stuck in a position where I sent it back and he said he got an empty box or something, I wanted to go through paypal for the return, we agreed to it and now this..?

Out for lunch, will be back after to check the situation.

When in this whole situation am I trying to pull a fast one on you?? I got a defective card and no help on the RMA side... only seems right you either fix the problem or refund me my money?

I told you I can't give you the original receipt. This item came in with $3000 worth of other things. I have also told you that if you need to know where the item was purchases, a scan of the 6990 line item, etc. you can have it. I told you this days ago and never got a response. You also plainly said that you want a refund because you don't want to deal with the warranty, but you weren't willing to send the card back first.

I have the receipt right here. If you are really telling the truth you'll withdraw the dispute and use the receipt info I give you to claim the warranty. The fact that I told you this days ago and you didn't respond shows something is up.

the paypal dispute basically meant that paypal will hold the money and upon he returns the card , paypal will give that money to him. To be fair, it's a safety thing to do from a buyer's perspective and if you plan to refund him the money, then the amount that paypal freeze up is not your anyway...
Just my 2c

No, that's not how it works because the money could be given to him once paypal sees the delivery confirmation, but I could open the box and see a 6990 cut into four pieces with a hacksaw or something completely different.

Which is why before a buyer gets a refund, he must return the item to the seller who confirms that the buyer did not do anything shady, and then issues the refund. If for some reason I didn't refund him, then he files a claim.

If he withdraws the dispute, sends me the card back, and I verify it hasn't been warranty voided or already registered, then I will gladly give him the money back.
However, if he really wants a 6990 at the great price I gave him than he should just claim the warranty and get a new one. If I refund the money he won't have enough for a 6990 because no one else is going to sell a brand new one for what I did.

How exactly is paypal going to know if the box contained a 6990 or a box of shredded wheat? They can't. They can only see that a box you say is the card was delivered to me.

And I offered to help with the RMA a while ago. I can pull up the pm if you want. The one saying I'll help, and the one saying you just don't feel like claiming the warranty.

If you really want to wait for money by waiting for paypal to rule even though you have a good chance of losing due to your unverified everything than that's your gamble. I am not giving you a refund until I see the card, so:

1: Drop the dispute, ship me the card. I refund when I see the warranty isn't voided.
2: Drop the dispute, claim the warranty using the receipt info I said I would give you via pm. I can't physically send you the entire receipt because it contains other merchandise I've since sold.
3: Keep the dispute open, wait many weeks for your money and probably even lose the dispute. Even if you get your money back in a month or so, you'll never find a 6990 for the price you paid. So if you really want a 6990 at the great deal you go, drop the dispute and claim the warranty.

I won't give you the receipt info until the dispute is dropped because you could easily claim the warranty and then send me a box of bricks and tell paypal it's the card.

" And FYI, since you filed the dispute and will lose, paypal will charge you a fee for their time. So you'll be out even more money. There is absolutely no reason why you should be demanding a refund unless you have either changed your mind (which is not allowed) or are trying to scam me in some way.

This isn't some $50 item, this is $600. If somehow you actually manage to pull one over on me, I will contact the authorities and show them the boatloads of evidence I have. From multiple pictures showing the item brand new, to tracking numbers, to your bad references, etc."

Are the type of messages I keep getting from this person after we made a deal to do the refund and return through paypal.

On 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM He agreed to the refund through paypal. Then after I file it, begins to scream that I am scaming him some how.

" Me: None taken, I was just about to ask how we are going to do this I didn't want to get stuck in the same position, maybe I'll file a claim through paypal and we agree to a refund/return on that? Never had this happen to me either, sorry for all the trouble.

Him: Nah no problem, not your fault. The card was sealed when you got it right? Just want to make sure it wasn't opened before you got it. I would think filing a return through paypal would work. That way there's some level of security there. Do you have a heatware rating? If you do that would be enough, but regardless go ahead and file a return claim from paypal and I'll get you the money."

Yes. Thats you agreeing to it.

1. I will NOT drop the dispute and then ship you the card and hope I get my money back??
2. It is my right to register the card after I've paid for it.
3. Your lucky I'm even responding to this, especially after the rude and threatening messages I've been getting.
4. From where I stand, you sold me a defective product, it is YOUR responsibility to either 1. refund me my money or 2. help me fix it.
5. After all this, this will be my last message to you. I am not dropping the paypal case, I will take the gamble, if I lose, so be it.

PS: I'd love to see the evidence, and I'd love to post up our message logs, I have been calm and logical throughout this ordeal, you on the other hand... I don't even want to begin. I'd love to talk with some authorties and show them our message logs. Yes these are fighting words.

Vestito out.

Last edited:
Heres how I would have handled this...

Buyer:
1) Card arrived.. noticed something is wrong with the fan. I would have taken a look at it and checked to see if it was a simple fix. If not I would have submitted an RMA with the warranty company. [While doing this I could contact the Seller informing him of my issues].
2) Any information that the RMA company requested I would have got from the Seller. A lot of companies require the purchase receipt and the place where it was bought from. [Seller should provide this no questons asked]
3) If everything went through with the RMA then no problems here. If for some reason the warranty would not be honored then I would request a refund from the Seller or attempt to fix it myself.

Honestly it seems like both of you broke communication and overreacted. This kind of thing happens all the time you just need to be mature about it and take the proper steps.

" And FYI, since you filed the dispute and will lose, paypal will charge you a fee for their time. So you'll be out even more money. There is absolutely no reason why you should be demanding a refund unless you have either changed your mind (which is not allowed) or are trying to scam me in some way.

This isn't some $50 item, this is $600. If somehow you actually manage to pull one over on me, I will contact the authorities and show them the boatloads of evidence I have. From multiple pictures showing the item brand new, to tracking numbers, to your bad references, etc."

Are the type of messages I keep getting from this person after we made a deal to do the refund and return through paypal.

On 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM He agreed to the refund through paypal. Then after I file it, begins to scream that I am scaming him some how.

" Me: None taken, I was just about to ask how we are going to do this I didn't want to get stuck in the same position, maybe I'll file a claim through paypal and we agree to a refund/return on that? Never had this happen to me either, sorry for all the trouble.

Him: Nah no problem, not your fault. The card was sealed when you got it right? Just want to make sure it wasn't opened before you got it. I would think filing a return through paypal would work. That way there's some level of security there. Do you have a heatware rating? If you do that would be enough, but regardless go ahead and file a return claim from paypal and I'll get you the money."

Yes. Thats you agreeing to it.

1. I will NOT drop the dispute and then ship you the card and hope I get my money back??

How are you not going to drop the dispute? I've offered to give you a refund when I see the item and make sure you haven't voided the warranty. Filing a dispute just delays that for weeks if not months and doesn't do anything to protect me from you sending me something completely different.

2. It is my right to register the card after I've paid for it.

If you've registered the card than you're going to have to claim the warranty. It'll be very hard for me to if you've already registered. I don't see how you did this before making sure the card even works.

3. Your lucky I'm even responding to this, especially after the rude and threatening messages I've been getting.

Me being rude has nothing to do with you not following proper trading rules and etiquette. I started to get hostile because you were not only refusing to claim the warranty (which is quicker than a paypal dispute and the right thing to do with a new sealed item), but you also refused to send me the card before I gave you any refund. And don't try and tell me you couldn't because you didn't have the receipt. I've said multiple times that I can give you any info you need off of it.

4. From where I stand, you sold me a defective product, it is YOUR responsibility to either 1. refund me my money or 2. help me fix it.

I did not. MSI did. I did not manufacture or handle the card at all. It was brand new.
Plus I have tried to help you fix/replace it. You said you didn't want to deal with the warranty.

Do you proclaim newegg refund you immediately or hold funds in their account before they receive the item when you RMA something there? No you don't. That is why me and a lot of other people here suspect you're up to something. You won't claim the warranty, you won't send me the item, what exactly do you expect me to do? Sending you money before I see that you haven't voided the warranty is not going to happen. Nobody does that. Not even the big boys.

5. After all this, this will be my last message to you. I am not dropping the paypal case, I will take the gamble, if I lose, so be it.

You just said in $4 that it is my responsibility to either refund you or help you. I'm trying to do both and you won't have any of it. I'll give you a refund when I get the item, or I'll give you the info off of the receipt. What is so freaking hard to understand? My god man. This is why I was getting upset. I'm doing everything I can logically do and you won't have it.

This is what I mean. He could solve his problem pretty quickly by just talking for 5 minutes and getting the info he needs. Instead he breaks all communication. This is another reason why you look so shady. You could have a brand new working 6990 for $600 in a few weeks via the warranty, or you can $600 in a few days after you return the card to me and not have a card at all, but have your money, but no, you went with wait for a month until paypal either rules in my favor, or tells you to return the card to me before getting your money. Aka wait a month until paypal tells you to do something you can right now.

That's what you're not understanding. You will never get any money unless that card is in my possession. Even if you win the dispute, you still won't get any money until paypal confirms that it's been delivered. Then they'll hold it for another couple of days to make sure everything is fine. So you're willing to wait a month (probably way way way more due to the holiday season) with no money or video card when you can have either one of them a lot quicker.....that is why I don't trust you. That's completely illogical thinking.

PS: I'd love to see the evidence, and I'd love to post up our message logs, I have been calm and logical throughout this ordeal, you on the other hand... I don't even want to begin. I'd love to talk with some authorties and show them our message logs. Yes these are fighting words.

What does me getting upset have to do anything? Me getting upset doesn't make me guilty. Do you think that some judge is going to rule in your favor just because I said some mean words? Nope. I got angry because you stopped responding and were being completely ridiculous with the situation. It could've been very easy. You could've asked me for the info off the receipt a week ago and you would already be well on your way to a new 6990 arriving.

You chose the difficult way. You're not likely to win the dispute with your unverified account and zero evidence that the thing even arrived broken. I have pictures and videos of me holding the clearly factory sealed 6990 and another of me putting it in the box. I then have a picture of me dropping it off at UPS. This is not the first time someone has gotten ridiculous on me, and it's certainly not the first thing I've sold here or anywhere else online. Everything they could ask for to prove anything I have.

You're just punishing yourself to spite me at this point. Thanks for ruining Christmas. My girlfriend's going to love the drawing of the necklace I was going to buy here but now can't. Which was the entire reason I was selling these cards in the first place....

Vestito out.

Exactly. You're out. Just like the last couple of times I've tried to come to a resolution. You put your hands over your ears and eyes and say no. I honestly don't believe you even understand what I am trying to do to resolve this. If you did there would be no reason to keep the dispute open, especially since you're likely to lose. In which case I could be a huge ass and not give you the receipt info at all and you'll be screwed and unable to claim the warranty. I wouldn't do that to a customer, but if you try this on other people they might.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't some way to get around the need for the place of purchase off of the receipt, but it doesn't matter because I can and will tell you once you give me my money back.

You guys are freaking out over what seems to be a relatively simple concept of "you return, you get money back."

On the plus side, the 5 heatware refs the seller has are positive, so I see no reason to worry about not getting your (the buyer) money back. At the very least, from paypals perspective, the item will have been returned (to the seller).

I wouldn't have purchased a $600 item from a seller with so little feedback, and as a seller I wouldn't have sold to someone with non-existent references.

Hope everybody gets their money and merchandise back and that it plays out well for all parties.

I don't believe MSI require receipt for RMA, they based on serial number...

Last edited:
Heres how I would have handled this...

Buyer:
1) Card arrived.. noticed something is wrong with the fan. I would have taken a look at it and checked to see if it was a simple fix. If not I would have submitted an RMA with the warranty company. [While doing this I could contact the Seller informing him of my issues].
2) Any information that the RMA company requested I would have got from the Seller. A lot of companies require the purchase receipt and the place where it was bought from. [Seller should provide this no questons asked]
3) If everything went through with the RMA then no problems here. If for some reason the warranty would not be honored then I would request a refund from the Seller or attempt to fix it myself.

Honestly it seems like both of you broke communication and overreacted. This kind of thing happens all the time you just need to be mature about it and take the proper steps.

I've never broke communication, and he never asked for info off of the receipt. He requested the original receipt, which I said I could not provide due to other items being on it but was more than willing to give him any info he needed off of it.

When the problem came up, he said he tried to claim the warranty, but had problems and claimed it was too much of a hastle. He never said he needed info off the receipt.

I've done the opposite of broke communication. I've tried everything in the book with this guy with multiple messages, e-mails, etc. What exactly am I supposed to do when he just doesn't respond?

He still has yet to say why he won't just claim the warranty and get the brand new 6990 he paid very little for. It's a bit ridiculous that he'd rather have $600, than a brand new GPU worth over $700....which is why it screams scam.

You guys are freaking out over what seems to be a relatively simple concept of "you return, you get money back."

On the plus side, the 5 heatware refs the seller has are positive, so I see no reason to worry about not getting your money back. At the very least, from paypals perspective, the item will have been returned.

I wouldn't have purchased a $600 item from a seller with so little feedback, and as a seller I wouldn't have sold to someone with non-existent references.

Hope everybody gets their money and merchandise back and that it plays out well for all parties.

I'm not freaking out at all. I am more than willing to give him his money back when he returns it. He won't do it without filing a dispute with paypal...which is ridiculous. He sent me $600 on my word that I would send him a 6990. I did just that, but now suddenly he has to do the opposite and won't do it?

And that's the funny part. Even if he win's the dispute, paypal is just going to tell him what everyone including me is saying to do now. He's basically delaying his own money.

My ebay feedback is over 50 all positive as well.

It does sound incredibly shady that he doesn't want to return it before getting his money. I don't think paypal would allow him a refund anyway without evidence of the item having been returned.

He wants both the money and the card, that's about what it looks like to me if hes giving you this kind of trouble. He could be lying about the card being defective too.

Is it possible to call paypal to deal with disputes? For some reason I am not able to add any comments of my own to the dispute, only files (pdfs and jpegs). How am I supposed to tell my side of the story if I can't comment?

If I'm able to get paypal all the info I have I'm likely to win the dispute. Even if I don't. He gains absolutely nothing by winning. All he gets is his money back, which I am willing to do in 3-4 days when the item gets here, but apparently he wants it to take a month.....

I believe MSI require receipt for RMA, they based on serial number...

Yeah I checked that too and didn't see any place for any info that would be on the receipt. Just serial and model #s. The evidence pile for this guy trying to pull something is approaching Everest atm.

You could try, I don't see why not.

I've honestly never tried so I can't help you there but good luck with getting this resolved.

Just from a personal perspective......

You do not say, "I'll take my chances" with a $600 item if there is a better way to proceed.
You DO say, I'll take my chances" if you have nothing to lose in the situation if things do not get decided in your favor.

The details always tell the true story, whether the buyer / seller does or not.

If he feels that he has a defective card that cannot be returned without the receipt (which he does not have) and he stand to lose $600 (which he does) if things end up in the seller's favor......wouldn't YOU do everything you could to get a safe resolution instead of risking no money and no $600.

Exactly.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.....guess what?

From a seller's perspective, i'm sure it is frustrating because:
you sold it for 600 brand new and now you will have to refund the money, wait probably couple weeks to RMA the video card and have to sell it probably at a lower price due to price drops as time drag on. But

From a buyer's perspective, you shell out $600 dollars for a defective product and you don't want to deal with wasting more time & money into RMA so you rather get the refund back so you can purchase a similar card off Fleabay or from other people.

If i was the seller, i'd jus cut loss and let the dispute drag on knowing paypal will tell the buyer to return the item and upon receive confirmation, they will release the fund. No point of drag this point any further. If i was the buyer, i'd try to send back the card asap so i can get the refund back.

Something went wrong in this process and the defective video card was really a minor issue, the major one is that both of you guys lack trust in each other.
Best of luck for both parties, i've been in both side of the situation and it's really frustrating.

What if a moderator or trusted 3rd party were to hold the $600 in escrow? In other words, the seller gives the escrow the $600 to hold, the buyer ships the card back to the seller, and upon receiving the card, the seller lets the escrow know to release the money to the buyer. Would both parties be agreeable to that?

MSI does not require a receipt for rma. I have sent in a few motherboards to them and never sent it with proof of purchase. Sounds like buyer is a scammer or has buyers remorse. I usually assume that unless otherwise stated all sales are final. Just send the card in for repair if it is indeed truly broken and this isnt a scam on the buyers end.

MSI DOES NOT require a receipt, they go off manufacture date. Not much more I can add.

I can say I've returned MANY MANY things, and i've been given a refund ONLY after the seller received the item and found it to not be tampered with. Paypal is going to say the same thing Id assume. There's no way Id send you a $600 card and THEN send you $600 just because you say a brand new item is not working.

I can also say that I really only buy MSI products when it comes to GPU's and I've never ever had a problem with them for anything what so ever. The RMA process would had been a lot easier and taken a lot less time instead of this fiasco. Just sayin...

Honestly, if I was the buyer and just got a "broken" card, the last thing I want to do is go through the RMA process.

When I sell anything, I guarantee against DOA, meaning within a certain reasonable time, if the buyer tells me the product is broken, I refund the money when I receive back the card. As the seller, you can't wipe your hands clean of the transaction after it leaves your hand. There's still a certain amount of time afterwards where you take the brunt of the responsibility with RMA, etc.

That to me differentiates between a reg seller and a good seller. A seller should always shoulder most of the risk within a reasonable amount of time after the transaction as occurred. But that's just me.

The only viable solution is he sends you the card back first, you refund and RMA. Consider yourself lucky if you have a buyer that is willing to do the RMA for you.

Last edited:
I've RMA'd vid cards and motherboards to MSI and never had to provide a receipt. The buyer is trying to scam you. Do not refund him a penny until you have the exact card you sent him in your possession. I would then go over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure he didn't sabotage it.

Honestly, if I was the buyer and just got a "broken" card, the last thing I want to do is go through the RMA process.

When I sell anything, I guarantee against DOA, meaning within a certain reasonable time, if the buyer tells me the product is broken, I refund the money when I receive back the card. As the seller, you can't wipe your hands clean of the transaction after if leaves you hand. There's still a certain amount of time afterwards where you take the brunt of the responsibility with RMA, etc.

That to me differentiates between a reg seller and a good seller. A seller should always shoulder most of the risk within a reasonable amount of time after the transaction as occurred. But that's just me.

The only viable solution is he sends you the card back, you refund and RMA. Consider yourself lucky if you have a buyer that is willing to do the RMA for you.

What? I never said that I won't refund him, and I haven't said that he must RMA it. That's kinda the whole point. I have and am still offering to refund the money once I get the card back. He won't send it to me. The only thing I can see that I'm guilty of is getting angry and it showing in my pms, but it's hard not to when a guy is keeping $600 from you just because he doesn't seem to understand how the return/RMA process works.

There is nothing to gain by him keeping the dispute open. Absolutely nothing. In fact, the only thing the dispute does is delay him his money. I don't think he understands that, but who knows. He refused to talk at all in his last post. An obvious scammer I'm starting to think.

Time to whip out the evidence locker and easily win the dispute.

from the buyers stand point I understand but he is blowing out of proportion

now about PayPal dispute.....PayPal is just the middle man because apparently the two of you can't resolve it peacefully.

What I would have done? Held the buyer hand through the RMA process to ensure customer satisfaction. You must look at ever transaction like you are dealing with a baby. Don't assume he knows the entire RMA or warranty process because he apparently doesn't. However, you need to be in contact with him. Maybe you can try calling him or emailing him since PMing me doesn't work.

If you have doubts about him sending the card, have him write a paragraph on a piece of white paper stating he will send the card back to you for such and such reason and will provide a tracking number. Have him print and sign it. Scan it. Email it. You now have a legal document, if he doesn't send it after refund then you can sue him.

What? I never said that I won't refund him, and I haven't said that he must RMA it. That's kinda the whole point. I have and am still offering to refund the money once I get the card back. He won't send it to me. The only thing I can see that I'm guilty of is getting angry and it showing in my pms, but it's hard not to when a guy is keeping $600 from you just because he doesn't seem to understand how the return/RMA process works.

There is nothing to gain by him keeping the dispute open. Absolutely nothing. In fact, the only thing the dispute does is delay him his money. I don't think he understands that, but who knows. He refused to talk at all in his last post. An obvious scammer I'm starting to think.

Time to whip out the evidence locker and easily win the dispute.

I never said you refused to refund the money, and if you wrote you offered to refund the $$ after he sends back the card, then sorry, my reading comprehension sucks :(

Yes I agree, if he refuses to send back the card first then forget it, I'm not refunding a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back