So, I got banned from Steam Forums.....

At least its not like EA where if you get banned on the forum then you can't even play your game anymore.

There's 50 posts in that thread. The post he made can be understood clearly as saying the copy he downloaded did not have the fix, and therefore he was not going to buy the game. It is only his previous posts, which was the ~40th post in on the third page, that put the post into context as innocuous. It's a completely understandable mistake. No one's trying to be a dick, going on a power trip, looking to ruin his day, or going all EA on his ass and preventing access to his games. Things like this happen, there's no reason to blow it out of proportion

Ive administrated boards like that. Thats not how you do things. Thats the Fuck off approach. A warning system needs to be in place. If the mod didnt read the thread and read the post out of context thats on him. If your overwhelmed then add more to staff. Not to mention the steam forums are incredibly shitty and the moderators are some of the worst.

Its not rocket appliances.

Ive administrated boards like that. Thats not how you do things. Thats the Fuck off approach. A warning system needs to be in place. If the mod didnt read the thread and read the post out of context thats on him. If your overwhelmed then add more to staff. Not to mention the steam forums are incredibly shitty and the moderators are some of the worst.

Its not rocket appliances.

I agree with most of what you say only for the fact at least on HardOCP you can click on a users name and find all posts by that user within seconds so you don't have to sift through 50 post to find the few that user was reported for. I also understand how mods can get swamped and throwing more mods at the problem isn't always the right way to handle a forum.

There's 50 posts in that thread. The post he made can be understood clearly as saying the copy he downloaded did not have the fix, and therefore he was not going to buy the game. It is only his previous posts, which was the ~40th post in on the third page, that put the post into context as innocuous. It's a completely understandable mistake. No one's trying to be a dick, going on a power trip, looking to ruin his day, or going all EA on his ass and preventing access to his games. Things like this happen, there's no reason to blow it out of proportion

You have also not understood what I said in my OP or what I explained, with all due respect.....there are three pages now.....I can understand.

Let me clarify.......

I bought the game. That was clear from other posts in the thread.

What ever I downloaded from Steam, had missing code in the options menu, my game doesn't work at all......thats what I meant by " not the version I downloaded."

the other guy was convinced everything worked. I said "I'm not BUYING it".......meaning "I am not going to believe what you just said"

Although, if you do not take the time to read everything, and to understand I bought the damn game; you could mistakenly think I pirated a copy which was broken.

To me permaban is just harsh and shows the moderator didn't spend more than one minute with this and took the low road instead of warning me or giving me a chance to explain.
Shit the software probably highlights "download" and "not buying" and does the thinking for the guy.

This isn't a big deal, but highlights the quality of people here and their adult behaviour.
I've said shit here I regret and that was stupid, but generally the moderators treat you like an adult and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with most of what you say only for the fact at least on HardOCP you can click on a users name and find all posts by that user within seconds so you don't have to sift through 50 post to find the few that user was reported for. I also understand how mods can get swamped and throwing more mods at the problem isn't always the right way to handle a forum.

You can do the same on steam forums. Both H and Steam forums use vbulletin. Not saying just start promoting random people as mods to handle the load. Im saying start the process of getting more quality moderators on the staff so you can begin to alleviate the problem.

Only thing I use steam forums for is Dead Island mods and for some other games some fixes.(There are a few threads in there with good information, but the OP is usually always banned LOL)

I lost the last tiny shred of hope for the Steam forums when i found out the developers of Stronghold 3 and Steam Mods delete any post that criticizes SH3.

It's pretty clear to me how that could be interpreted as admitting piracy: "The version of the game I downloaded did not include the fix . . . I'm not buying it."

That isn't what he wrote, though. He took the two offending parts out of context and quoted them for brevity.

Can't tell if OP bothered to appeal or just likes complaining about it on another forum.

Can't tell if OP bothered to appeal or just likes complaining about it on another forum.

That was an unnecessary assumption on your part.
Yes I have appealed the permaban, I stated such in the thread, although much to my surprise this has gained a certain momemtum I was not expecting.

Anyway, I did appeal this but I cant really say that will hold any water, every avenue of contact with Steam support has been essentially cut off to me. Even my alias account has been banned.

That's a lazy mod that banned your account. I can see someone misinterpreting your latest post, but as was said, they should have gathered some context.

I'd say I hope you get your account back, but the Steam forums seem to be fairly useless unless the developer maintains an active presence there (and few do from what I've seen.)

Have either one of you been a moderator of a forum that gets dozens or even hundreds of messages marked for review in an hour? It's not feasible to read an entire thread for context, particularly when the post itself can very easily be understood (incorrectly) without context. It was an honest mistake FFS.

Honest mistake sure - but he has no way to get it reviewed. Makes me glad I come here not the Steam forums. Ironically the Steam forums are about as much of a dismal failure as the Steam service is a massive success.

Honest mistake sure - but he has no way to get it reviewed. Makes me glad I come here not the Steam forums. Ironically the Steam forums are about as much of a dismal failure as the Steam service is a massive success.

He's now unbanned, so I guess it couldn't have been that difficult to get it reviewed...

let this be a lesson to all the idiots that can't control themselves in a forum. this is why you don't post on official forums for a service that you use to buy games which has sole control over your account and can do what ever the fuck they want with it.

(post is in no way directly referring to the original poster or anyone in this thread).

As long as he is unbanned, his choice of words being read the wrong way is pretty damn funny.

Why do you guys hate the Steam forums so much? I think the General forum is bad, but the sub-forums for each game have been very handy to work out technical problems for a game. I really like the centralized forum, as I hate having a hundred forum accounts for every dev.

Steam forums are full of idiots and trolls. Consider it a favor from Valve.
Truth. It can be a damn good source of information on how to solve issues with Steam games, but there's really no reason to ever post there. Thus, there is no reason to have an account there.

Let's not cry over spilled milk.

As long as he is unbanned, his choice of words being read the wrong way is pretty damn funny.

I highly doubt he will be, though. He even said his other account got immediately banned as well (I guess they check by IP? Dunno.). I don't think the Steam mods give a shit one way or the other, and that makes for a shitty, worthless community.

I am unbanned.:eek:

My appeal must have gone through?

Interesting.

I appreciate all the responses from you all, I forwarded the thread to Steam support for their reading enjoyment.:D

Well, color me surprised. :eek:

Glad it worked out! Though I think I'd just avoid Steam forums from now on and try to deal with dev support/Valve directly, lol.

Well, color me surprised. :eek:

Glad it worked out! Though I think I'd just avoid Steam forums from now on and try to deal with dev support/Valve directly, lol.

Yes you are correct......
What I think happened, had nothing to do with me or my appeal......

A guy named AFireEternal posted what I meant by "I'm not buying it" and proceded to say that the Mod jumped the gun without knowing the whole story.

Shortly after that I got the PM and was unbanned. The Mod apologized and admitted he didn't look at the whole thread, and now understood what I meant.
No harm, no foul.:D But I guess I'll have to draw a picture the next time I discuss something over there.

That being said I still am stuck with this turd of a game that won't work.:mad:

It was probably this dick, among others, that reported you.

You downloaded it, but you are not buying it? As far as I know there was not a demo for this game, but the problem with not being able to select Options was resolved early on, just verify your game files and the updated file should be downloaded.

It would be fairly difficult for a person to verify the game cache in Steam if it was a pirated copy. Weird post that one.

That being said I still am stuck with this turd of a game that won't work.:mad:

Isn't there some comsumer law where you can return a product if it doesn't work as advertised? If they list it as working with your OS/hardware and it doesn't... :p

Back