So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

Hmmm..seems like the easy fix ones are far and few in between now..:(

Well, I got mine and have been fooling around with it a bit, trying to get the video to work. I got it to work, somewhat. I had it connected with the included A/V cable due to my HDTV not having HDMI or DVI and at times, I see text on the screen or it'll flicker. It doesn't always show up and when I wiggle the connection to the PS3, I see it flicker a bit. Possibly a shitty cable. I'll run to the store later and grab a new Component cable. I'm just amazed I saw anything on screen at all. Hopefully I can join the working AS-IS club.

Anyone else get one that said "item does not power on"? I guess I'm hoping its the switch in the back or maybe a bad firmware update, but has anyone had one similar they put a power supply in? I didn't remember seeing one reading through the thread.

Mine was a no power one. When i got it powered right up but i had to do the video reset to get it to work, so basically my does not power on worked right out of the box.

Anyone else get one that said "item does not power on"? I guess I'm hoping its the switch in the back or maybe a bad firmware update, but has anyone had one similar they put a power supply in? I didn't remember seeing one reading through the thread.

Same here...
No Power for mine. Worked fine when I received it. Installed HD and reloaded from a flash drive.

Well, looks like my PS3 is a dud. I didn't realize how dusty it was until I decided to open it up and take a look because I smelt something weird coming from the vents. I noticed on certain metal pieces that it looks like it was burnt a bit and upon further dissection, I was amazed how much friggen dust was in there. I think mine died from overheating. I'm not done cleaning it yet but I'll see if it works after I put it back together. If not, oh well.. still, whoever owned this thing did not keep it clean at all.

Well I got mine...no luck.
"Powers on, no video output"

Video reset doesn't work with HDMI or component.
I can hear sound through component, but no video.

GTG back to work now, I'm going to mess with it later.

Came in an 80gig Motorstorm bundle box. FCC ID puts it as an 80gig whereas I thought (based on the auction) it would be a 60gig. (No HD, no HD cage either way.)

Well I got mine...no luck.
"Powers on, no video output"

Video reset doesn't work with HDMI or component.
I can hear sound through component, but no video.

GTG back to work now, I'm going to mess with it later.

Came in an 80gig Motorstorm bundle box. FCC ID puts it as an 80gig whereas I thought (based on the auction) it would be a 60gig. (No HD, no HD cage either way.)

I had a similar issue, I heard doing a format/firmware update could solve that. I'm going to try that once I get home, and I'll post results here.

I had a similar issue, I heard doing a format/firmware update could solve that. I'm going to try that once I get home, and I'll post results here.

Problem is trying to update it without seeing any video is where the problem lies. I am in the same boat. Only video I have gotten is when I left it on all night without it being connected then connected the SD cable the next day I saw the PS3 wave but couldnt do anything with it and when I turned the system on with a new HDD. It asked me if I wanted to format, once it did, screen went back to black again.

It's kind of upsetting to hear about people getting the wrong order, now I'm worried :(

HOLY CRAP! MINE WORKS!! I ordered a no HD, no video/no audio. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280251203721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Got it just now, plugged it in through HDMI, and my tv said it was receiving a 720p signal. The problem was only sound was passing through. I turned it off via the switch in the back, flipped the switch again while holding the power button in the front. Light turned green.. beeped once... beeped twice then the light turned red. I thought to myself "oh crap, it really is broken." Turned it on again and it was just a black screen, then all of a sudden something showed up on the screen saying that a video signal was detected via hdmi and it set it to my the optimal viewing settings.

I wonder about this. I thought it would reset video after the 2nd beep while it was green. I flipped my switch, held power, it beeps once when it turns on. Still hold, beeps 2nd time, stays green - I let go at this point. I wonder if you're supposed to hold it longer than that?

EDIT: YES!
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...IHZpZGVv&p_li=&p_topview=1#Reset_Video_Output
Reset the Video Output SettingsBack to top

Perform the following steps to reset the Video Output Settings.

1. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected to the [HDMI OUT] port on the back of the PLAYSTATION 3 system.

2. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable into the [HDMI Input] port of the TV or display monitor.

3. While the PLAYSTATION 3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button on the front of the system until the system goes into standby mode again . (So the light cycle would go from: red light to --> green light --> then back to red light) This will ensure that you have held down the On/Off button long enough to reset the Video Output Settings.

4. Turn ON the PLAYSTATION 3 and once the system finishes powering up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).

If resetting does not auto-detect your HDTV, see next step below.

NOTE: As of system software update version 1.60, the PLAYSTATION 3 can automatically detect an HDMI connection to a TV. If the PLAYSTATION 3 is turned on with an HDMI cable connected, the screen for switching video output settings will be displayed automatically. (Does not function unless the TV that is connected by the HDMI cable is turned on.)

As of version 1.80 of the system update for the PLAYSTATION 3, the PLAYSTATION 3 can upscale the video content of PlayStation® format software, PlayStation®2 format software, and DVDs to HD resolution.

I'm going to do this when I get home...hold it til it shuts off again. See if that works. *crosses fingers*

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Alright, I took apart my PS3 and put it back together, cleaning out most of the crap that was in it and still have no success. I call dud. Now, I'm just contemplating whether or not I should try again or buy a brand new PS3 as now I want one because they look damn nice. Seems odd to me, though, that I would sometimes see a picture telling me that there was no Harddrive detected (it seemed to only work once with the HDD in it but the video cut out) but on the next boot with the hdd in, it had no video and it just didn't want to show again.

Alright, I took apart my PS3 and put it back together, cleaning out most of the crap that was in it and still have no success. I call dud. Now, I'm just contemplating whether or not I should try again or buy a brand new PS3 as now I want one because they look damn nice. Seems odd to me, though, that I would sometimes see a picture telling me that there was no Harddrive detected (it seemed to only work once with the HDD in it but the video cut out) but on the next boot with the hdd in, it had no video and it just didn't want to show again.

You sound like you are running into the same problem as me. Stupid thing is I went to the link in the post above yours and I got the screen that said it was detecting an HDMI setting and would I like to use it. For some reason it looks like it is locking at that screen though since I can actually click left to choose yes.
Then I get black again....

I would watching bidding on any atm, I think they have someone jumping bids up. I just bid on 5 of them for all not reading discs and ever single one of them I was outbid by someone with an E and an H with a rank of 275. All bids were around $50 bucks. The name says he is a power seller but seems fishy to me.

I wonder about this. I thought it would reset video after the 2nd beep while it was green. I flipped my switch, held power, it beeps once when it turns on. Still hold, beeps 2nd time, stays green - I let go at this point. I wonder if you're supposed to hold it longer than that?

EDIT: YES!
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...IHZpZGVv&p_li=&p_topview=1#Reset_Video_Output

I'm going to do this when I get home...hold it til it shuts off again. See if that works. *crosses fingers*

Well, I got my second one ordered from the different sellers, and nothing. The same problem, hold the standby for some seconds..and when the second beep...it turns off..it doesn't STAY green... oh well...I will try to get one from the seller everyone is buying from now...it is always so hard as the prices get jacked up really high..

any idea if I can sell it to eb games? or something?

Well, I got my second one ordered from the different sellers, and nothing. The same problem, hold the standby for some seconds..and when the second beep...it turns off..it doesn't STAY green... oh well...I will try to get one from the seller everyone is buying from now...it is always so hard as the prices get jacked up really high..

any idea if I can sell it to eb games? or something?
Unsure if that is wise as just using a small sample comparing 2 weeks ago to today I noticed a significant decrease in the description "Unit does not power on/no video audio" to units that "do not read discs". At the same time with the increase of problems from recent purchases, in combination with one [H] member informing them of the video reset, I think it may be a little to risky.
I think another member indicated they were able to get credit at the nearest gamestop. That might be worth a shot.

so yeah, called Gamestop and they said $200 - a "refurbed" fee that can be anywhere between $40-60. And if i wanted that in cash, another 20%. All I would need to bring is the console, the cables and one controller.

so yeah, called Gamestop and they said $200 - a "refurbed" fee that can be anywhere between $40-60. And if i wanted that in cash, another 20%. All I would need to bring is the console, the cables and one controller.
Well, I guess that's an option for mine. I'm planning on buying a brand new 40GB because I don't want to keep trying to find a working one only to be disappointed. I just don't feel lady luck is with me so I'll most likely stop trying while I'm behind :p ... Or not, we'll see.

I got mine today 40gig powers on doesnt read game disc. At work currently will report tonight when I get a chance to hook it up :)

Got mine today, 40 gig that came with everything including Spiderman 3. I had it sent to work and couldn't wait til I got home to see if it powered up. So I plugged it in and did the factory reset. I had no TV at work to test it. As soon as I pluged it in via HDMI when I got home I had a screen saying something like "HMDI connection detected use this connection?" and then the screen to auto detect the best resolution.

I have no PS3 games to test if it plays games but it played the BR Spiderman 3 fine.

I'm having a problem atm though. I tried to reformat through the PS3 menu and kept getting an error. So I did the reset to factory setting from the menu which worked great. Then downloaded the lastest update from the PS3 menu.It download fine but has been sitting at 100% for the last 15 minutes or so.

Any ideas as to what might be happening?

Oh and thanks for the heads up UN, I've been wanting one for a while but couldn't bring myself to spend $400.

Edit:

Ok I let it sit at the downloading screen for a good 30 mins with nothing happening so I reset it and it said "checking update data" and then started applying the update. After it finished it restarted but just sat at a black screen. Tried the factory reset again and nothing this time. I'll try pulling the HD and reformating it that way but it'll be a few days before I can try that(have family coming into tomorrow for the weekend).

Any ideas as to what happened with the update?

oh my Gosh....I almost shit my pants...after having it on for a little while (the second one that came in today), it was hooked up to svideo..i switch my FHD2400 monitor to the svideo input...just to see one more time at my failure...and wow...a pICTURE...!!but it looked funny...then..found out it was at 480..and changed the resolution..tested HDMI..went 1080p.....and oh my goodness...it is freaking WORKING!!!!

YES!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!..

sorry...now...i am having trouble with the update..so i am about to try to download it from the internet...instead of the thumbdrive way......

oh my Gosh....I almost shit my pants...after having it on for a little while (the second one that came in today), it was hooked up to svideo..i switch my FHD2400 monitor to the svideo input...just to see one more time at my failure...and wow...a pICTURE...!!but it looked funny...then..found out it was at 480..and changed the resolution..tested HDMI..went 1080p.....and oh my goodness...it is freaking WORKING!!!!

YES!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!..

sorry...now...i am having trouble with the update..so i am about to try to download it from the internet...instead of the thumbdrive way......

You're past the hardest part :) Now that you have a picture all your other problems should be overcome eventually.

Yea mine needs a power supply but I had already ordered it before it came in. FYI don't buy shit from laptopsinsac. Those assholes have taken forever to get the power supply I ordered to me.

You're past the hardest part :) Now that you have a picture all your other problems should be overcome eventually.

Yeah..was doing an update via the internet then it shut off..and got three beeps red light....so...i am trying to see how I can go about formatting the hard drive...fat32???

I got an error when i tried to do it via the usb thumbdrive...so hopefully..now it is just the hard drive..i have a bigger one on the way...but would like to see if a format does it..and...yeah..i am getting no picture again...so..lets see...
round 2!

EDIT:

STatus update.....won't turn on..getting three beeps. Any help woould be appreciated. I took the drive out and plugged into my computer and then formatted (NTFS)...put it back in and still problems.... I searched and the only things I could see that were causes was overheating, people shutting off ps3 while saving (corrupt hard drive/ game saves), and others were just quick to note "I am just going to send it off, don't bother putting info for e2g to read" :)

well, back to square one. I noticed it was acting kind of funny with what AC cord I used in it. My bulky high quality cord that came with my PC Power and Cooling PS gave it no problems.....hmmm/...any ideas?

Yeah..was doing an update via the internet then it shut off..and got three beeps red light....so...i am trying to see how I can go about formatting the hard drive...fat32???

I got an error when i tried to do it via the usb thumbdrive...so hopefully..now it is just the hard drive..i have a bigger one on the way...but would like to see if a format does it..and...yeah..i am getting no picture again...so..lets see...
round 2!

EDIT:

STatus update.....won't turn on..getting three beeps. Any help woould be appreciated. I took the drive out and plugged into my computer and then formatted (NTFS)...put it back in and still problems.... I searched and the only things I could see that were causes was overheating, people shutting off ps3 while saving (corrupt hard drive/ game saves), and others were just quick to note "I am just going to send it off, don't bother putting info for e2g to read" :)

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be formatted in FAT32? Others might have more insight....

Well good news i wanted a ps3 for a bluray player and mine plays blurays perfectly i watched 1 movie this evening, updated the console perfectly. I do not have a game disc to check will do tomorrow after work. For 133.00 i got what I wanted. If games work thats a bonus for me. One minor thing my top case has a 1inch crack on it which wasnt pictured or mentioned in the discription, long as it works i do not care.

Got mine to work. ;)
I think I have a bad HDMI cable so that will be RMA'd with monoprice.

1. Got it to sorta work with factory reset via DVI>HDMI cable on my friend's 37" Westinghouse LCD HDTV. It came up in Spanish (?), we would say "Si" :) for "use HDMI" and "Si" :) for "optimal resolution", then usually it would go back to no picture.

2. We put in a hard drive, got a little farther but still nothing.

3. We took out his 60gig from his (working) Ps3, it came up but asked to format the HD (no).

4. Were able to change it to English, then it seemed like it wouldn't work again. Get through a few HDMI screens then black again/no video.

5. FINALLY my friend had an idea that it was a heat problem and that the RSX was getting too hot and shutting down. We put a small fan outside of the system, blowing room air into the intake (at the top when vertical or the right side when horizontal - where it has all the little logos for SACD, BluRay etc). Put back in the unformatted drive, got it to come up AND STAY ON. Stuck in my thumb drive with the 2.42 firmware, got it to flash. Turned back on, did a factory reset...rebooted, still ok. Turned off the fan..STILL OK.

We have no idea if it was a heat/RSX issue or a firmware issue; seems more like botched firmware to us. (It runs fine now...no more video cut offs like it's getting too hot.)

Anyhow - I have it downloading demos and running Folding@Home right now, hooked up to my 22" Samsung 2232GW through DVI>HDMI cable. I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow; I'm wondering if the multi-AV out is shot. I haven't gotten it to display a picture on component or composite, but the component is going through my 5.1 Onkyo receiver, so that may be a potential reason why component shows no video. (Maybe because it's not directly hooked up to my tv, it can't sense it??) HDMI works though, and my 30" Samsung HDTV has 2 HDMI inputs, I just need to get a new cable.

I've also tested the BluRay drive, it works fine. Loaded MGS4 at my friend's house, and I played God of War earlier to test BC. :)

So I went to sleep and left the ps3 on a lil while. We have the air conditioning on and I placed my hand on the unit near the vents and it is fairly cold..I don't think it is a heat issue..

What i seems strange is that the ps3 controller is hooked up via usb right now. When it was working a lil while ago and I would press the middle PS button, the LED would show just one light...i guess to show it is connected...now that my system is on for a lil while and still get no video output no more...i press the PS button and I get those 4 flashing LEDS on the controller as if it isn't connected. Is the PS3 even booting all the way?

So the Hard drive needs to be formatted in FAT32? I hope that helps me a lil, about to go do that...

EDIT: Now I mentioned to screw over my partition table on my hard drive. Note to self, don't run Partition magic in compatibility mode...especially when it is asking you to fix an error for you when it didn't even exists. Gosh! I need to get a 1 TB drive so I can just have all my data sitting on it without worrying wish drive has my data on it.

Oh and just remembered, this HD that came with the ps3 is nonfunctional...lol..hope that is the problem..it did show up just fin on my computer tho...

Glad to see there are still success stories, can't wait until mine gets here Tuesday. Anyone know where you can buy a hard drive caddy or new top plate other than ebay? I've heard possibly through Sony, but when I went on their site the only thing I found were links to send the unit in for service.

You'd probably have to call them and ask about it; that's what I'm going to do.

Looks like the multi AV out port on mine is dead. I tried it with composite on another tv before I left for work and it doesn't work. I'm going to call Sony and ask about repairs and warranty status on my console to see if I can get it repaired for free (if it's still under warranty, which I'm sure it isn't). I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with most of these systems....the multi AV went dead so they assumed the system output no video.

You'd probably have to call them and ask about it; that's what I'm going to do.

Looks like the multi AV out port on mine is dead. I tried it with composite on another tv before I left for work and it doesn't work. I'm going to call Sony and ask about repairs and warranty status on my console to see if I can get it repaired for free (if it's still under warranty, which I'm sure it isn't). I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with most of these systems....the multi AV went dead so they assumed the system output no video.

Yes, can you check. Do you have the number? Would they need just the serial number to still check if its under warranty? I was trying to find a page that checks the warranty status but couldn't find anything.

Update: Still no video. I formatted the hard drive that was mentioned as "non functional" when I got it and stuck it back in and nothing. I have noticed some weird things tho. When I have the Multi AV connected and HDMI cable connected....I start the system and get the three beeps. When I take one out and restart...its fine...still no video tho...I have PiP on my monitor right now just in case it comes on again. I don't know what I did last time but I am quite sure I just left it there on s_video....

Update: Found out there is no power going to the USB ports. The system is on, but no power as if there were power, my thumbdrive would be lit up. This is why the Ps3 LEDs is blinking on the controller if i press the middle button. It was acting kind of strange with different AC cords. When I plugged in my PC Power and Cooling (heavy thick little thing), it was fine. Hmm...could the ps3 be fine and it just has some power issues? I mean, it was outputting video last night. Have a picture and all.....lol...more troubleshooting..Wish me luck! As always..any help would be appreciated :)

I called Sony; the guy wanted to troubleshoot over the phone (I told him I did the video reset several times but maybe there's a reset we don't know about??). I said I'd have to call back this afternoon after I get home.

1-800-345-7669
Hitting 1 to go to Ps3 support is more of a automated thing..hit 0 to speak to someone, then it asks what you're calling about..hit 1 for Ps3. It'll say "expected wait time x minutes" etc.

I didn't even get as far as giving the serial #, I'm sure that's done when they determine it needs to be repaired. I did register the console yesterday with the serial #; I don't know if that means anything though. Mine has a manufacture date of 2006, I don't recall the month off the top of my head.

I figure - if I can get it repaired free, of course I'll do it.
If it'll cost $150, I'll *probably* do it. I may just hold onto it as:is since I can use the HDMI and was going to anyway...and then repair it at a later date.

I am going to inquire about the drive caddy when I call and tell them I need one. I'll post what they say in regards to that. Even if I have to pay $5 for it, I won't mind. Going to order my drive this afternoon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071

BTW yeah, when the 4 lights on the controller flash, it means it needs to sync with the powered on console (or so that's what I believe). You hit the PS logo, it syncs with the system and lights a single light. If it's plugged into USB, it blinks which apparently means its charging. I'm still floored by how light the Sixaxis is. Dual Shock 3 is much much heavier. ;)

I called Sony; the guy wanted to troubleshoot over the phone (I told him I did the video reset several times but maybe there's a reset we don't know about??). I said I'd have to call back this afternoon after I get home.

1-800-345-7669
Hitting 1 to go to Ps3 support is more of a automated thing..hit 0 to speak to someone, then it asks what you're calling about..hit 1 for Ps3. It'll say "expected wait time x minutes" etc.

I didn't even get as far as giving the serial #, I'm sure that's done when they determine it needs to be repaired. I did register the console yesterday with the serial #; I don't know if that means anything though. Mine has a manufacture date of 2006, I don't recall the month off the top of my head.

I figure - if I can get it repaired free, of course I'll do it.
If it'll cost $150, I'll *probably* do it. I may just hold onto it as:is since I can use the HDMI and was going to anyway...and then repair it at a later date.

I am going to inquire about the drive caddy when I call and tell them I need one. I'll post what they say in regards to that. Even if I have to pay $5 for it, I won't mind. Going to order my drive this afternoon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071

BTW yeah, when the 4 lights on the controller flash, it means it needs to sync with the powered on console (or so that's what I believe). You hit the PS logo, it syncs with the system and lights a single light. If it's plugged into USB, it blinks which apparently means its charging. I'm still floored by how light the Sixaxis is. Dual Shock 3 is much much heavier. ;)

They are going to want a store receipt if you want it fixed free under warranty.

True, didn't think about that... :eek:

I'll probably just keep it as it is. I'm going to use the HDMI anyway, it's not like that matters much that the multi AV is bad.

Maybe next year with tax refunds I'll buy a new one and sell this one but I'll probably just keep it 'til then. Probably take it apart later and apply Zalman ZM-STG1 grease to the heatsinks to cool it down some...and while I'm at it I'm going to look at the inside of the multi AV out and see if I see any visible defect that can be fixed.

For all you people having problems I hope it makes you think long and hard before you go out and try to make money at the expense of everyday blue collar workers. It's nice and dandy sitting behind a computer screen and getting a money bag to appear with that magic mouse click, but for them, it's hard, real world back breaking work.

For all you people having problems I hope it makes you think long and hard before you go out and try to make money at the expense of everyday blue collar workers. It's nice and dandy sitting behind a computer screen and getting a money bag to appear with that magic mouse click, but for them, it's hard, real world back breaking work.
Afaik, most here are trying to get a working console at a discounted price and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure, some will probably sell it on eBay, Craigslist, or to their family/friends but that doesn't mean they are stealing money from those who are working. Hell, the people here have to also work for their money, its not just this one company who employs people who work. So before you keep spewing your bullshit, think long and hard about it. It must be really hard for them to buy in bulk what seems to be broken consoles and most likely, make a profit.

Back