So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

This is insane, this thread makes me want to buy a PS3 for every TV in the house.

NUTS! I want a bluray pretty damn bad and a PS3 included ? Oooh the gamblesss.

Well, just sold my other 2 PS3's 40gb for $280 and $290 each, and playing MGS4 on my 60gb heheheheehe

I took the plunge shipped UPS 3 day select 133.00 mine is a "powers on, but does not play game disc" we will see what happens with mine hope I will have before friday since ups to my apt complex blows. I purchased this one on Friday. I just want this as a bluray player maybe I will get lucky if not the local Game Crazy near me can repair the unit :)

How does this sound ?

NOTE: ITEM DOES NOT OUTPUT ANY VIDEO OR AUDIO.

or

NOTE: UNIT POWERS ON BUT UNIT HAS NO SOUND OR PICTURE

There are a lot with disc reading problems, Im guessing those are the worst ?

How does this sound ?

NOTE: ITEM DOES NOT OUTPUT ANY VIDEO OR AUDIO.

or

NOTE: UNIT POWERS ON BUT UNIT HAS NO SOUND OR PICTURE

There are a lot with disc reading problems, Im guessing those are the worst ?
According to whats been said here, if you can find one with just video issues then it should be easy to reset back to working condition. The one that will be arriving on Wednesday to me 'powers on to green light no video' so hopefully that will work. I'll be letting everyone know if it does. Regarding the disc reading problems, from what I've read, this could be fixed by simply replacing the laser but that does not always work as something else might be wrong with it. Personally, I'd stick with 'no video' systems. But, we should be seeing more responses to people who get theirs this week.

It is pretty sad to see Silverass narc on everyone. In case anyone was curious about how places like this work, allow me to explain. These people (usually) have contracts with big name companies and liquidators that they meet through auctions. They work almost like debt collectors, they buy pallets of junk electronics for penny on the retail value dollar (in some case they pay by the pound). The liquidators are more than happy to be rid of this stuff because its saves them from having to do all the legwork. The people who sell on ebay have warehouses full of this stuff, hire migrant workers or high school dropouts happy to get $7 an hour to unload trucks and take pictures of stuff, and in cases like sold-broken and 2nd-turn, create multiple corporate entities to limit taxes and various liabilities.

I used to be good friends with a guy who got started doing this many years ago. I used to go up to his garage where I would help him sift through junk electronics that he knew nothing about, impart wisdom about this and that, and get to keep some cool schwag. One night we were drinking and he let me in on a secret, he was grossing over $45k a month out of his garage. I don't know how much he was netting, but I do know that a few months later he bought up two old warehouses nearby, a couple of F250's fitted with hydraulic lifts, and hired 5 local kids to unload, take pictures, "test", and hand off the results to someone who setup the auctions. It's a pretty nice little outfit and a quick way to get rich if I've ever seen one. Shoestring budget my ass. This guy replaced the junk in his garage with several very nice classic cars.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one coming in the next few days, I'll let you know how it works out. I got one of the ones that won't read discs.

Well mine is a BRICK :( "20G powers up no audio/video"

Tried the reset w hdmi and composite, reformatted drive, nothing. No video/audio and sixaxis wont connect even with usb plugged in Oh well.

The only thing i havent tried is starting it with no HD.... ill try that later.

Has anyone ever talked with the 2ndturn seller? I was wondering if I should talk to him or not. I won my auction for $66 and being shipped its around $104. I know I bought As-is stuff but the auction said Unit does not power on and has no HDD. It said came with all the stuff except the original box and ethernet cable. Well it came with a PS3 box(not the original I guess technically since the serial did not match up) and the ethernet cable. So technically it did come with everything except for the HDD and spiderman BD.
This unit does power up with no problems but I almost think it got switched with a No-video unit since thats exactly what its doing. I have audio and nothing I have tried is working to get video back. Considering I have spent about $150 on it so far, turning this thing into sony to have it fixed will bring that up to $300. Why bother, a new system would cost about that much. Granted, it most likely wouldnt have BC but still.
So I think I will have to break this thing open and see if I can fix it myself. Just didnt know if I should contact the guy and let him know that he sent me the wrong one or not.

Maybe like the OP's, they didn't think it turned on but it does. With all the verbage on their auctions about "no returns" I don't know if they'd do anything for you (or any of us). :(

Has anyone ever talked with the 2ndturn seller? I was wondering if I should talk to him or not. I won my auction for $66 and being shipped its around $104. I know I bought As-is stuff but the auction said Unit does not power on and has no HDD. It said came with all the stuff except the original box and ethernet cable. Well it came with a PS3 box(not the original I guess technically since the serial did not match up) and the ethernet cable. So technically it did come with everything except for the HDD and spiderman BD.
This unit does power up with no problems but I almost think it got switched with a No-video unit since thats exactly what its doing. I have audio and nothing I have tried is working to get video back. Considering I have spent about $150 on it so far, turning this thing into sony to have it fixed will bring that up to $300. Why bother, a new system would cost about that much. Granted, it most likely wouldnt have BC but still.
So I think I will have to break this thing open and see if I can fix it myself. Just didnt know if I should contact the guy and let him know that he sent me the wrong one or not.

Well, "no returns" doesn't mean that they can send you an item other than the one that was described. If it didn't come with the full range of items as described, contact them.

His auction does state something to the effect of"there may be other issues with the item that arent listed"..Dunno,I think we all know its a gamble but I do agree if they are being switched then that aint right..

Well it looks like the last 2 received units are indeed dead. So for anyone keeping count I think that the first 2 in the row. Could be they utilized the information that Silverass gave them for a hard reset.
As mentioned I doubt they will update any other ebay auctions to include they performed this step as they would see the final bid values decline.

Mine should be here anytime, too bad lunch is over in 5 mins. Guess I wont see it until this evening.

HOLY CRAP! MINE WORKS!! I ordered a no HD, no video/no audio. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280251203721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Got it just now, plugged it in through HDMI, and my tv said it was receiving a 720p signal. The problem was only sound was passing through. I turned it off via the switch in the back, flipped the switch again while holding the power button in the front. Light turned green.. beeped once... beeped twice then the light turned red. I thought to myself "oh crap, it really is broken." Turned it on again and it was just a black screen, then all of a sudden something showed up on the screen saying that a video signal was detected via hdmi and it set it to my the optimal viewing settings.

I couldn't go any further because I don't have a hard drive yet. I have to go to a job fair (recent graduate) and I'll pick up an 80 gig on the way back from my friend for $25. I'll update you guys if the disc drive works. This is so awesome, thanks U.N Inspector and everyone else.

By the way, I ordered this before sliverjazz snitched.

EDIT: Actually, no caddy, just saw the blue screw and thought it was in there lol.

HOLY CRAP! MINE WORKS!! I ordered a no HD, no video/no audio. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280251203721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Got it just now, plugged it in through HDMI, and my tv said it was receiving a 720p signal. The problem was only sound was passing through. I turned it off via the switch in the back, flipped the switch again while holding the power button in the front. Light turned green.. beeped once... beeped twice then the light turned red. I thought to myself "oh crap, it really is broken." Turned it on again and it was just a black screen, then all of a sudden something showed up on the screen saying that a video signal was detected via hdmi and it set it to my the optimal viewing settings.

I couldn't go any further because I don't have a hard drive yet. I have to go to a job fair (recent graduate) and I'll pick up an 80 gig on the way back from my friend for $25. I'll update you guys if the disc drive works. This is so awesome, thanks U.N Inspector and everyone else.

By the way, I ordered this before sliverjazz snitched.

EDIT: Actually, no caddy, just saw the blue screw and thought it was in there lol.

Congrats!!!!!!
You should be fine on the BD.
Once you get up and running.........Post a pic of your bargain PS3.
:)

ran home real quick during lunch and found that my hd had arrived so i tossed it in and threw in a game, the ps3 i got works totally fine. Minus the controller. Its kinda screwy, gonna borrow one and see if its just it. Buttons dont wanna work half the time with the one that i got with it.

Any rate, i have a fully working ps3 for basically 180 with a 120gb hd!!!

Will post pics when i get home tonight!

i have bought 3 ps3 and all of them did not read discs

Did you buy them as "not reading disc"

Many of us have warned other members several times....not to bid on those unless you
are prepared to changed the laser(up to $80 on Ebay). The chances that diagnosis is correct
on those is more likely becuase someone obviously powered it up along the line.

- No Power, No Video, No audio/Video are the better candidates..

So are you guys thinking that the ones that say "No Power" just need to have the switch in the back flipped? :confused: Or is that not the case anymore, because the company is now going through more stringent checking procedures? Obviously, this is all speculation, but I've been having the itch to check one out for cheap :D

So are you guys thinking that the ones that say "No Power" just need to have the switch in the back flipped? :confused: Or is that not the case anymore, because the company is now going through more stringent checking procedures? Obviously, this is all speculation, but I've been having the itch to check one out for cheap :D

When I bid on mine.... I honesty went with the intention of swapping the PSU.
I even bought a brand new PSU that arrived before the PS3 did. When I plugged the PS3 in...
I discovered nothing was wrong with it. So the discrepancies of no power or no video can be extended to a lack of knowledge for the product. Issues such as "not reading disc"
are straight forward...showing someone with basic knowledge managed to power up the system and load a disc.

Ok I got my 2 ps3's in. The one I got from some ebay pawn shop no a/v I plugged in and it works great. Came with a bunch of extra controllers too. The one I got from del-tree no a/v does not display anything after trying to reset. It just turns off.

I think it is a bad firmware so i'm formatting the hd now and try or use one from my retail ps3 to see if I can bring it back to life.

Edit: It's bricked. I can't get it to display anything. I gave it to my bro-inlaw and he will do the warranty fix since the sticker is good so something good will come of that unit.

The other unit from an ebay pawn shop works great though! :)

Ok I got my 2 ps3's in. The one I got from some ebay pawn shop no a/v I plugged in and it works great. Came with a bunch of extra controllers too. The one I got from del-tree no a/v does not display anything after trying to reset. It just turns off.

I think it is a bad firmware so i'm formatting the hd now and try or use one from my retail ps3 to see if I can bring it back to life.

Congrats on the 1st.....:)
Let us know on the 2nd.......could be just bricked' and needs reloadin' as u say.

ran home real quick during lunch and found that my hd had arrived so i tossed it in and threw in a game, the ps3 i got works totally fine. Minus the controller. Its kinda screwy, gonna borrow one and see if its just it. Buttons dont wanna work half the time with the one that i got with it.

Any rate, i have a fully working ps3 for basically 180 with a 120gb hd!!!

Will post pics when i get home tonight!

Have you tried to reset the controller by pressing the button on the back with a toothpick. Its the small hole on the furthest right.

When I bid on mine.... I honesty went with the intention of swapping the PSU.
I even bought a brand new PSU that arrived before the PS3 did. When I plugged the PS3 in...
I discovered nothing was wrong with it. So the discrepancies of no power or no video can be extended to a lack of knowledge for the product. Issues such as "not reading disc"
are straight forward...showing someone with basic knowledge managed to power up the system and load a disc.

This is what I was kind of gearing towards but when I got my system with no apparent power, I have power but not video. I think I am going to wait till tomorrow when my drive arrives and try it again and if it still doesnt work, I am taking it apart and try to fix it myself.

Well....I don't know what to think.

Just received my 40GB "No A/V". Powered on the unit and was greeted with a black screen. Did the 10 second power button reset and BAM, I have video and audio! It was obviously bricked since it wanted to format the HD.

The system firmware was at 2.35 so I updated to 2.42. Cool....no problems so far.

BUT.....I put in the SpiderMan BluRay disc......nothing. I put in Band of Brothers......nothing. The little disc activity indicator spins and spins and spins in the upper right corner, but this damn thing doesn't seem to want to read ANY disc.

Any ideas?

Just received my 40GB "No A/V". Powered on the unit and was greeted with a black screen. Did the 10 second power button reset and BAM, I have video and audio! It was obviously bricked since it wanted to format the HD.

The system firmware was at 2.35 so I updated to 2.42. Cool....no problems so far.

BUT.....I put in the SpiderMan BluRay disc......nothing. I put in Band of Brothers......nothing. The little disc activity indicator spins and spins and spins in the upper right corner, but this damn thing doesn't seem to want to read ANY disc.

Any ideas?

You gotta wonder if someone might be diabolically borking the video to hide the fact that the bd drive doesn't work.

/tinfoil hat?

/sliverjazz? :rolleyes: :D

Well, a link to this thread would give any ebay seller a really good idea how to attract bidders.....

What's to keep the people who got actually bricked ps3's to put them back up on ebay with "no video SOLD AS IS"?

Any ideas?

Edit to add: I also do not hear the DVD drive spin up whatsoever.

I got mine (60gb model, no hard drive), was described as "No video, doesnt read disc".

Well I cant get the video to reset no matter how much I try. I've tried both the composit cables it came with and an hdmi cable I had. :(

I guess I gotta get video before I can see if it can read a disc.

Turn back switch off, hold front power button down, flip back switch on, wait 10 secs or so until green light goes to red. Turn back on with the front button, right?

Obviously the power supply works and it does spin up discs, just cant see or hear anything. Any suggestions?

On a side note,think this was originally a no power unit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStatio...18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218577660158

I'm considering trying my luck on one as a present but not sure yet. Can't blame the seller though. Seems to be luck of the draw...:p

Back