So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

Same here, other than mine didnt come with a hard drive so I have no idea what model mine is to know if it has BC. (I probably shouldnt have bidded on this one but I did, thinking my bid wasnt high enough to win.)

Is there a list somewhere that shows what PS2 to PC adapters (if any) that might work with a PS3 so I can hold off buying a controller? (I know, no Sixaxis) I've got one and plan on trying it out to see what happens.

Mine comes with a controller...... :D

lotsa_electronics beat me out on one yesterday before I got my 'no video/no HD' one.

Looks like sold-broken and 2ndturn-closeouts may be the same seller. Both from Mckinney, TX?

yeah..both of them are from Mckinney...uuuuhhhhhh...have we stumbled across something here?:eek:

yeah..both of them are from Mckinney...uuuuhhhhhh...have we stumbled across something here?:eek:

It's been mentioned several times they use the same warehouse, are part of dealtree.com etc etc.

BTW, just won my 3rd unit. This a 60gb with no video output. I'll report back as soon as I get my consoles. Two have been no video, one has been doesnt read disks. I'll be keeping one and two of my friends are going to take the other ones assuming we can get them to work. Can finally add some new games to our collections instead of just 360 stuff.

Same here, other than mine didnt come with a hard drive so I have no idea what model mine is to know if it has BC.

Look at your auction and in the description there's a "Mfg Item Number" (ignore the -NOHD they put on there)

Mine was a 98000; I google searched Sony 98000 and it came up as a 60gig Ps3 system (which does have BC). 20gig and 60gig have BC. I believe the 80gig has software BC and the 40gig has none whatsoever. Seems like all of their auctions are 60gig and 80gig units (whether they come with or without a HD).

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether the ones with no HD come with the tray that the HD goes in. Hopefully they do; if they don't, I'd hope those can be bought from Sony as a replacement part. (Very likely.)

It's been mentioned several times they use the same warehouse, are part of dealtree.com etc etc.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it if they sell under a couple different names. Still looks legit enough; my Dealtree receipt/slip has the auction ID as well as their "Lot Number" in the auction description, so I know what I bid on and won is what I'll be getting.

BTW, just won my 3rd unit. This a 60gb with no video output. I'll report back as soon as I get my consoles. Two have been no video, one has been doesnt read disks. I'll be keeping one and two of my friends are going to take the other ones assuming we can get them to work. Can finally add some new games to our collections instead of just 360 stuff.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it if they sell under a couple different names. Still looks legit enough; my Dealtree receipt/slip has the auction ID as well as their "Lot Number" in the auction description, so I know what I bid on and won is what I'll be getting.

Well, yeah selling, but i was actually referring to bidding. It seems as if the other userid they have, they bid on their auction to drive up the pricing (like someone mentioned already), which isn't that a no-no?? Anyways, whatever.

What prices are you guys scoring with?

My "no video" was $144
Again - model 98000 = 60gig so mine has BC (wahoo!) :D
Planning on getting a WD 160gig 5200rpm 2.5" drive from NewEgg for $64; already bought my 3' HDMI cable from Monoprice for $4+change shipped. ;)

We oughta make up some sort of a list of what's wrong/potential fixes. I found this interesting:
It also seems the no video ones could be fubared firmware updates.The one I won was sold as powers on,no audio/video.I had video on mine via HDMI but it required me to reformat the HDD and install the new FW..Works like new since..

-No video: reset video settings/force system to auto-detect video output by holding power button

-No video/no audio: bad FW flash ? or resetting video output settings?

I wonder between the two what's the difference. I would think if the system isn't outputting the correct video port being used, that you couldn't have any sound either in addition to not having any video. IE if the system is using HDMI and you're using component out, it won't carry video *or* audio - and vice versa. :confused:

-Won't read discs: could be bad laser, could be what Occidio posted here.
Couple good posts to read.
Random things.
For taking it apart.
Disc read errors. Read the 3rd post by BC910

Here's a link to save you all some google time if you need to update the FW outside of XMB (by saving the FW to a memory stick/SD etc card or USB drive).
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate/pc_update.html#update_PC
daaaaayum 130 megs????!? :eek:

My "no video" was $144
Again - model 98000 = 60gig so mine has BC (wahoo!) :D
Planning on getting a WD 160gig 5200rpm 2.5" drive from NewEgg for $64; already bought my 3' HDMI cable from Monoprice for $4+change shipped. ;)

We oughta make up some sort of a list of what's wrong/potential fixes. I found this interesting:

-No video: reset video settings/force system to auto-detect video output by holding power button

-No video/no audio: bad FW flash ? or resetting video output settings?

I wonder between the two what's the difference. I would think if the system isn't outputting the correct video port being used, that you couldn't have any sound either in addition to not having any video. IE if the system is using HDMI and you're using component out, it won't carry video *or* audio - and vice versa. :confused:

-Won't read discs: could be bad laser, could be what Occidio posted here.

Here's a link to save you all some google time if you need to update the FW outside of XMB (by saving the FW to a memory stick/SD etc card or USB drive).
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate/pc_update.html#update_PC
daaaaayum 130 megs????!? :eek:

To clarify,mine was listed as...NOTE: Unit powers on but no video or audio output...

When I got it, I hooked it up via HDMI and immediately had A/V output.However,the message on the screen said "The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try and restart. If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the HD must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software. Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.10 or later...'
"..Well,it would not restart so I downloaded the 2.42 FW to a thumbdrive and it updated and formatted the HDD from there..After that,it went through the normal "new"setup and it has worked flawless since then..Not sure why it was listed as such but it worked out for me..

Hope this helps...:cool:

Got the FW downloading and I just checked my auction I won, Its a 98000-NOHD.

Is the paper wedge what you need to do if you dont get the little caddy thingie?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did anyone buy one on a Friday night? How long would shipping take to NY? I did 5-7 day shipping not 7-12.

PLEASE I need this answered! When any of you guys (what ever you bought) when you guys got the product shipped to your house/pick up or what every.

DID THEY INCLUDE a Paypal Receipt?

Unless they are trying to be honest, no reason for them to state that from a business standpoint.

Thats the point..I dont think they were even trying to do factory resets before..So now,what do they do with the ones that do factory reset(i.e.easy fix)??Im pretty sure that now they are looking at these a little harder and if they are an easy fix,they wont be getting listed..

PS..sliverjazz you asswipe..Do you think you helped him or hurt him??..Now,who is gonna buy his stuff knowing it really is broken??.Think he will make more money now??Feel better douchebag??..:rolleyes:

Thats the point..I dont think they were even trying to do factory resets before..So now,what do they do with the ones that do factory reset(i.e.easy fix)??Im pretty sure that now they are looking at these a little harder and if they are an easy fix,they wont be getting listed..

PS..sliverjazz you asswipe..Do you think you helped him or hurt him??..Now,who is gonna buy his stuff knowing it really is broken??.Think he will make more money now??Feel better douchebag??..:rolleyes:

Yeah, I definitely won't be buying anymore because of this. No one wants to take a risk on something that is most likely 100% broken whereas before we were willing to buy because we had better chances of getting one actually working.

Sliverjazz is an idiot.

Hopefully they've already packed and/or shipped mine; I bid, won and paid Friday morning. It says (according to the Dealtree receipt) it'll be shipped tomorrow; maybe it's already been shipped, just not updated. No tracking yet on it. It will only take 2 days to get here from near Dallas -> just outside of St. Louis, MO.

Hopefully they didn't pull it out of the package to try to reset it, find out it worked, and send me a completely different one than the one I bid on because 'Mr. save-a-ho' decided to open his big mouth where it didn't belong. Thanks jerkoff. :mad:

PLEASE I need this answered! When any of you guys (what ever you bought) when you guys got the product shipped to your house/pick up or what every.

DID THEY INCLUDE a Paypal Receipt?
They should have emailed you a copy of the invoice. Chill out.

Has there been any more auctions spotted that say it cannot be factory reset? I browsed through them yesterday to see if there were any and I couldn't find any. Was curious as to whether or not there have been any more spotted. I was hoping to snag another one in the future if the one arriving on Wednesday doesn't work (hell, even if it does!).

Has there been any more auctions spotted that say it cannot be factory reset? I browsed through them yesterday to see if there were any and I couldn't find any. Was curious as to whether or not there have been any more spotted. I was hoping to snag another one in the future if the one arriving on Wednesday doesn't work (hell, even if it does!).

I just saw the one that was linked a few posts ago.
I looked earlier tonight to see if they had changed their practices since narc boy sent them an email. I 'searched titles and descriptions' for "factory" [reset] and only came up with that 1 auction.

I would hope they're not stupid enough to do so; they'll sell more at higher prices if they leave the auctions as they are. I think they've probably realized that, which is why they're not testing them more or listing any further info in their auctions.

The only other thing I've seen mentioned in a few that wasn't mentioned in previous ones was that some of the new auctions without a HD say they don't come with the HD tray/caddy either. Hopefully those of us who have bought the system without a HD (but no mention of a missing caddy) DO receive the caddy.

I just saw the one that was linked a few posts ago.
I looked earlier tonight to see if they had changed their practices since narc boy sent them an email. I 'searched titles and descriptions' for "factory" [reset] and only came up with that 1 auction.

I would hope they're not stupid enough to do so; they'll sell more at higher prices if they leave the auctions as they are. I think they've probably realized that, which is why they're not testing them more or listing any further info in their auctions.

The only other thing I've seen mentioned in a few that wasn't mentioned in previous ones was that some of the new auctions without a HD say they don't come with the HD tray/caddy either. Hopefully those of us who have bought the system without a HD (but no mention of a missing caddy) DO receive the caddy.

I sure hope so, cant seem to find just the caddy for sale anywhere.

I'm sure Sony would send you one free, or sell you one (presumably for cheap since it's just a thin sheet of metal). There has to be a way to get one in case it breaks without resorting to having to buy a whole new console...

Mine made no mention of the caddy, didnt come with one. Not a huge deal, just wedge something in there to keep the drive from moving. would also assume if you are planning to just leave it in one spot and not move it, you wouldnt really need anything at all?

Mine didnt mention no caddy. Only thing it says it does not come with is original box Ethernet cable and no hard drive which I have coming from the egg.
Ebay auction

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally if they listed one regarding an attempt at a factory reset, I'm pretty sure they are testing all of them for it now. Hopefully the ones that did close already are not being retested, but I think the risk of getting a good one has decreased dramatically.
I'm guessing they may not mention any further auctions with this information as they will see the closing prices drop drastically. Unfortunatly, we know they won't be sending units that they can repair with this easy fix.
Thanks to the a$$hat earlier all he did was screw the consumer as now this ebayer buying broken items in bulk can now sell these items as working.
It was a gamble to begin with but the only person he screwed were the people willing to take that risk and purchase from this ebayer.
Geesh...

Got my no power PS3 this morning, it turns on just fine however it seems that someone bricked it while updating the firmware and the HD formatting was messed up. Took out the HD, reformatted it on my mac, popped it back in with USB stick with 2.42 firmware and did system restore. Works beautifully.

Guys, reguardless of what jazz said, think of the situation at hand for their company.

They buy broken shit in bulk and re-sell it. they are not repairmen.

They dont have the time to bust out all the PS3 units and attempt repairs and re-sell them as new/repaired. They are an as-is re-seller. From a business standpoint i dont see them taking the time to change from an as-is reseller to a PS3 repair shop.

Bestbuy used to ship a bunch of their broken exchangeable trash to mckinney, tx... and then wholesalers buy it by the pound and ebay it.

I'd say about 5% of the stuff we shipped to this place when i worked there, was perfectly fine, most had never even been sold to customers... the other 95% is trash.

Guys, reguardless of what jazz said, think of the situation at hand for their company.

They buy broken shit in bulk and re-sell it. they are not repairmen.

They dont have the time to bust out all the PS3 units and attempt repairs and re-sell them as new/repaired. They are an as-is re-seller. From a business standpoint i dont see them taking the time to change from an as-is reseller to a PS3 repair shop.

This is my feeling on it. I dont think they are going to change their bussiness practice much. They most likely have way too many broken items to check all of them along with all the other stuff that is coming thru the door. PS3's probably make up a small percentage of bussiness. I was thinking of buying a messed up 360 just to mess around with and take it apart if I can get it super cheap.
I just switched out my 360 on friday only because I have been having issue with my dvd drive. SCIV started to not load completely at char select screens. My 2 year warrenty from best buy was going to be up in february so I figured I would just take it down swap the hard drive and get a new one.
Swapped it out and now I have an HDMI 360 that is alot quieter with the falcon chipset. Plus since the unit was $100 cheaper than mine was I got a $66 gift card since I re-upped the 2 year warrenty for $39. I wish the girl at the register didnt know what was going on because I would have picked a Premium instead of the Pro.
So if I am turning mine in to a place like this when overall the system is fine except for the dvd drive not loading all the time then I can see others doing this just to get a new system.

So if I am turning mine in to a place like this when overall the system is fine except for the dvd drive not loading all the time then I can see others doing this just to get a new system.

Are you talking about a Walmart swap with the broken one off eBay? :eek:

Are you talking about a Walmart swap with the broken one off eBay? :eek:

No, I was talking about my 360 I purchased from Bestbuy back in Feb 07 with a new from Bestbuy with the 2 year warranty.
Essentially the DVD rom was not working 100%. It still worked almost all the time, but if I buy something that is $400 I will not except it not working all the time. I never had any problems with any of my other consoles. I am not going to change now. Everything on Live and arcade worked 100%. It was jus the disc mechanism that was not performing 100%. Thats an easy switch but I would rather just switch it out and get a whole new system.

Ok, I got my unit in. Said it did not come in its original box but it has. It is a 60gb version with no HD. Auction says it does not power on. It does just fine. I plugged in my HDMI cable and I can hear audio and my tv does go black like it sees a signal. I tried holding the power button while turning the unit on from the back and I hear 1 beep then a second but nothing seems to be happening. Am I right in seeing that this thing takes the same AV cable as the PS2? Cause I initially started it up in AV mode and I noticed the cable looked really similar so I tried my monster component cable from my PS2 and I get the same thing as the AV cable, a black screen.

1 more day to go, got my hard drive and hdmi cable ready. Should have mine tomorrow.

Back