So, are most L4D2 players mean?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have been playing a lot of L4D2 recently and I decided to try vs realism, so I join a game and they say "You have a mic? No point in playing if you don't have one" which I do and I didn't even get enough time to lower my mic to talk when they kicked and banned me, wtf? I was only in for 10 seconds.

So you've been playing a lot recently, got 1 idiot in a lobby and you ask if most are mean?

My question is, are most [H] forum posters clueless? I mean, I've been on here for over a year and I just read this thread where this guy was like... ;)

Yep some people can't grasp that games are supposed to be fun, and they just play to win.

I've been playing quick match campaign's lately and the people seem pretty friendly there.

It's different in the first L4D though, I played loads of Versus last week and the teams held together at least till the finale.

Well not just that but I have also had lots of people rage quit. Hard to keep a team together. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but despite it saying there are 5K players I find it hard to find a game, much less a full game. It just really upset me because that was the only realism vs game available. And when I made one no one came.

I think the problem in L4D is the way the game is structured with the long distance between each checkpoint. On the harder settings and with a pub group it can take a while to get to each one, and if you have someone in the group dragging you down that is a lot of time wasted. So while it doesn't justify being a douche, I can definitely sympathize with the frustration caused and having to spend another 20 minutes on the same leg. And not having a mic greatly reduces the effectiveness of the team; not that the guy in the lobby you encountered even gave a reasonable chance to show that you did have one.

Sounds like you joined a pub group that had already been playing together and operating on a short fuse. In my experience, it's very rare that I find a random pub game where all parties involved get along and stick through it to the end. Someone either drops because of teen angst, votekicked because of being an asshat, or the team just doesn't gel and everyone eventually leaves due to frustration. Throw expert or realism into the mix and those negatives get amplified.

The only guarantees are to build a friend list and join private games. It's a crapshoot otherwise.

The mic thing is BS, and depends solely on the player's skill. I've been in pub games where the guy without a mic was a zombie killing madman. Just because you're mute, doesn't mean you're deaf. But a mic does raise the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
Yep some people can't grasp that games are supposed to be fun, and they just play to win.

I've been playing quick match campaign's lately and the people seem pretty friendly there.

It's different in the first L4D though, I played loads of Versus last week and the teams held together at least till the finale.

one guy once told me..its not fun if your getting your ass kicked

Sounds like you joined a pub group that had already been playing together and operating on a short fuse. In my experience, it's very rare that I find a random pub game where all parties involved get along and stick through it to the end. Someone either drops because of teen angst, votekicked because of being an asshat, or the team just doesn't gel and everyone eventually leaves due to frustration. Throw expert or realism into the mix and those negatives get amplified.

The only guarantees are to build a friend list and join private games. It's a crapshoot otherwise.

The mic thing is BS, and depends solely on the player's skill. I've been in pub games where the guy without a mic was a zombie killing madman. Just because you're mute, doesn't mean you're deaf. But a mic does raise the lowest common denominator.

It just occurred to me: this is part of the genius of the L4D games. The fact that the players playing them can get so angry and so much dissension can form in a high stress situation like.. a zombie apocalypse. I mean, it's just like how it would be if you really were in this situation. You'd bitch and argue and fight over everything.

yes, so take your ball go home and cry in the corner while listening to emo rock and cutting yourself with a straight razor have a nice day

I used to L4D a lot, usually was in 4v4 full friend private matches, and those were much fun. But with another group of buds we'd have to grab a few randoms. We always kicked anyone without a mic. Pretty much guaranteed to be a baddie.

Yeah that is what pissed me off, I didn't even get a chance. I really don't use the mic as much anyway, I know what to look out for and how to help my team. Unfortunately, so often I get stuck with bots.

one guy once told me..its not fun if your getting your ass kicked

Frankly the L4D games do not have any incentive to play if you are getting your ass kicked. I don't play to increase stress I play to reduce it. A close game is fine but if we get stomped ten feet out the door of the safe house what the hell is the reason to keep playing?

If you are playing random pub group there is not even hey these dudes are my friends blah blah reason to stay. On top of that half the time if the other team stomps you they get all asshat about it and start blathering on. Trash talk between friends I am ok with but random dude online, why even bother listening?

Frankly the L4D games do not have any incentive to play if you are getting your ass kicked. I don't play to increase stress I play to reduce it. A close game is fine but if we get stomped ten feet out the door of the safe house what the hell is the reason to keep playing?

If you are playing random pub group there is not even hey these dudes are my friends blah blah reason to stay. On top of that half the time if the other team stomps you they get all asshat about it and start blathering on. Trash talk between friends I am ok with but random dude online, why even bother listening?

And it's frustrating because one idiot can ruin the entire game for 7x other people.

heh he made that statement when were talking about UT2004 and our clan matches. we had two teams, the better players and the more casual players.. however since there were alot of good players on the good team, they took me off the good team and put a couple of us with teh casual players..we said we wanted to go back and the casual players didnt like this because they would get there asses kicked otherwise. and thats where that statement came from.

and yes i hate playing with douches as well, wanting to glitch in L4D1..but i also dont wanna play with someone who cant talk and tell me whats going on, and acts like a noob

L4D2 needs some sort of reward system that entices people to play together until the round is over. As it stands, it's just a rage fest of a game right now.

I don't mind losing at all, but when one team is rolling to the finish unscathed and the other can't make it 20 feet out the door, the game really isn't much fun. I'm fine teaching noobs, but when people don't tell you they are new and then constantly pull the stupidest moves despite direction from experienced players, the game just isn't fun.

Maybe a handicapping aspect to the game would work. If one team is winning by more than a than X points, they get less health or their weapons do less damage or something. It would solve the raging and people would be more likely to stick around and play a full game, while learning how to play right in the first place.

L4D is the type of game you really only want to play with friends. I've never had any lucky with random teams for various reasons and a lot of the community does seem hostile, probably because a single person leaving before the game/round ends causes a lot more disruption than in say a 24 slot tf2 pub so most people are expecting the worst.

I have a headset, but I just mute the mic almost the whole time (especially on public games).

Why? Because 1 set of instructions is fine, but 4 sets of instructions is stupid, and worse than no direction. Maybe it's because i'm used to lone wolfing in games, and tend not to rely on others. But if people are so inept that they can't spot items and attackers then it's doubtful if I did ask for assistance that they would be able to provide any. I don't mind a single voice giving instructions but the constant talking just irritates me and seems to be a distraction for most players who cry for help rather than helping themselves, or get distracted by some conversation or can't hear their surroundings. If you all know how to play a game, and understand tactics, you shouldn't need headsets.

Plus 95% of people have irritating voices i'd rather not hear.

I used to play a lot of L4D..L4D2 players are assholes bc they spent 40 dollars on a game that sucks.

I never had a mike, McRofl...and I was pretty good @ L4D. I used to listen to the people that did have mics...mindless chatter. Teamspeak is mostly useless for setting up tactics.

Sometimes it's okay in CS:S, if you have a leader calling out "rush A" or "rush B" But almost every online game i've played TS is not a factor.

In most games...after a certain amount of time,most people pretty much know what to do in a given game, and when those people are on the same team, no need for teamspeak @ all.

You know where the Boomers and Smokers are...you know where the AA machine is...you know there is always a guy camping in the same corner every round, you know to set-up in a corner with two kneeling and two standing on a zombie horde rush...there's no need to talk about it.

My brother uses teamspeak with MW2..its more about talking about the pot you've just smoked than setting tactics.:p

What you came up against here was the very reason I hate most multiplayer games. I fight with people at work all day long. We live in a time when people are pushing themselves forward with an unprecedented degree of aggression. Each day is a bitch fight in which everyone is pretending to get along.

When I get home, the last thing I want to do is have to deal with people, especially teenagers jacked up on their egos while playing some video game - pass.

L4D and L4D2 are horrible when it comes to griefers. Because of the lack of a real match tracking system its impossible to play pub games.

What you came up against here was the very reason I hate most multiplayer games. I fight with people at work all day long. We live in a time when people are pushing themselves forward with an unprecedented degree of aggression. Each day is a bitch fight in which everyone is pretending to get along.

When I get home, the last thing I want to do is have to deal with people, especially teenagers jacked up on their egos while playing some video game - pass.

I'm the opposite. I spend all day researching and writing, when I get home I want to create a strategy with other people and try to execute it together. Different strokes.

I think the mics are good for two things: (1) coordinating the timing of infected attacks and (2) letting people know you are incapped during busy events. I find most adults keep quiet the rest of the time.

The PROBLEM is the constant quitting in pub games. The game has so much potential, but in the end it's just too susceptible to one person's actions.

I think a constantly variable handicapping system would solve it, but I doubt this ever happens in any game ("QQ Noob L2P and you don't need the game helping youre sorry noobass")

I'm the opposite. I spend all day researching and writing, when I get home I want to create a strategy with other people and try to execute it together. Different strokes.

I think the mics are good for two things: (1) coordinating the timing of infected attacks and (2) letting people know you are incapped during busy events. I find most adults keep quiet the rest of the time.

The PROBLEM is the constant quitting in pub games. The game has so much potential, but in the end it's just too susceptible to one person's actions.

I think a constantly variable handicapping system would solve it, but I doubt this ever happens in any game ("QQ Noob L2P and you don't need the game helping youre sorry noobass")

I kind of disliked Valves decision to push out a new L4D game so quickly and not include some sort of match tracking to hopefully eliminate ragers.

Every small team based game suffers from quitters/afk'ers. It's damn near impossible to come up with a viable solution it seems. Would love to hear any solid ideas.

Yes, l4d players, like cs players, are douchebags. Avoid playing with publics.

Every small team based game suffers from quitters/afk'ers. It's damn near impossible to come up with a viable solution it seems. Would love to hear any solid ideas.

What about tasers.

When you join a game you have to have electrodes attached to your head that monitor brainwave patterns. Also a taser aimed at your private reigions. When you start thinking about bad things like quiting the taser starts beeping. If you continue, you get tased. Lack of activity will put the taser turret on "scan and taze" mode, and will taze upon return on on movement. It runs on batteries that last for 3 weeks, and you can't join multiplayer without the taser being active. You can call it junkbuster.

Now if the people leave they will lose the ability to reproduce and then they wont make more quiters.

Yeah. Same as with WoW: some game communities are universally c*nty. That goes for WoW and any L4D/Gmod communities especially.

Most people are mean, especially when they have the anonomity of the internet to hide behind.

Since most (if not all) L4D2 players are human, I would argue that most of them are mean too.

from what I seen people are for the most part pretty forgiving of players that arent that good, as long as you dont keep doing stupid stuff
i almost never see someone kicked who really didnt deserve it

So you've been playing a lot recently, got 1 idiot in a lobby and you ask if most are mean?

My question is, are most [H] forum posters clueless? I mean, I've been on here for over a year and I just read this thread where this guy was like... ;)

1st idiot in the lobby? I'm sorry but this is an epidemic in either left 4 dead community. Sure, different ends of the spectrum but still a bunch of idiots. I stopped playing both because of the rampant problems.

Pretty easy. Create an option on game creation that prevents quitters. Then track # of matches played and how often quit. If over x% then you cannot join. Its what HoN does and it works pretty flawlessly imo.

The way the game has been built has created an elitist community, I played regularly with a friend and his friends, we used mics and all the rest of it, one particuarly unbalanced game where we were getting pounded we had someone on our team drop so it was 4v3 and they decided to carry on, I dropped out because it was blatently obvious we'd just get owned from then on, I was banned from the server from dropping because apparently "rage quitting" (which I think they define as quitting any time that is not the end of the game) is worse than team killing.

It's pathetic, playing with newbs is frustrating but playing with elitists is almost as bad, I never touched L4Dx again after that, games that breeds that kind of disgusting behaviour is not well built for fun/entertainment.

I like getting shitfaced and just having fun with L4D1/2. I almost never play Versus, people take it too seriously. I usually either play with my wife and find a friend or two, or bounce around pubs until I find some people that are just having fun screwing around and not playing seriously.

Yes, yes they are. I think L4D2 is a good game, but I rarely play it for this very reason. Now I only play it when we have enough for a 4v4 among friends.

I played L4D1 for a few rounds, most of the rounds the people were just dicks so I stopped playing. I play video games to get away from arseholes, not spend more time with them.

I actually agree with you for once. Though I still play MP games, for most FPS MP games if you jon a public server you dont actually have to listen to the other retards. In L4D that's not an option by the way the game is designed to be played.

EDIT: Well I dont entirely agree with you, I actually get along with most people I work with quite well :p

The way the game has been built has created an elitist community, I played regularly with a friend and his friends, we used mics and all the rest of it, one particuarly unbalanced game where we were getting pounded we had someone on our team drop so it was 4v3 and they decided to carry on, I dropped out because it was blatently obvious we'd just get owned from then on, I was banned from the server from dropping because apparently "rage quitting" (which I think they define as quitting any time that is not the end of the game) is worse than team killing.

It's pathetic, playing with newbs is frustrating but playing with elitists is almost as bad, I never touched L4Dx again after that, games that breeds that kind of disgusting behaviour is not well built for fun/entertainment.

What? You don't like playing against people that play 24/7 like it's a job? :p (just kidding, I hate it as well).

Yeah, people who play those abominations have this God complex, it isn't fun at all. You know what else isn't fun? Always winning. Also, always losing. Those people who act "pro" need lives badly.

I have a feeling it is something a server browser might be able to fix.

I had three other friends who wanted to play a game of L4D2, so we start a lobby and fill the rest of the slots with pubs (we had random team selected for ourselves) and get a game going. Right off the bat one of our players walks around a bit and then quits. So we are down to 3 vs 4 (me and two pubs vs 3 friends and 1 pub).

So the two pubs start arguing between themselves about random stuff. Go here, don't do that, do this, don't use that gun. And naturally my three friends on the infected side are concentrating on knocking me down (that's what friends do ;) ) and they start complaining that I'm getting attacked too much and then start arguing between each other again. I tell them to take it easy with the arguing and try to enjoy the game. After my friends finally get me on the ground for pickup those two vote kick me. Then all 3 of my friends leave the game to find out what is going on, and now the game is nearly empty just after it got started and we don't bother making a new lobby and just call it a night.

That's one of the many situations that make me not want to play L4D anytime a friend or friends want to.

Last edited:
Back