Sleeping Dogs

I am enjoying everything so far but the relationships.

It seems they couldn't afford to keep their voice actors paid or something and instead of doing it fully, like keeping it part of the story/allowing depth they just said "fuck it."

Basically you go one date with any o fthem, and that's it. You can't call them again, they just disappear from the game and there's ZERO closure except for those stupid report thing sin your cell phone.

The way they did Amanda was just plain stupid. I guess they just wanted to use Emma Stone as a selling point and/or couldn't afford to give her a real role.

Literally like maybe not even half a page of voice work.

Everything else about the game is great but it just ruined that aspect because of how half assed they did it, starts out fine and just without any warning ends.

It seems the only point to dating is to get the buffs (usually map makers showing health shrines, jade statues, etc) and that' sthe only reason for them, instead of actually working on the story that's all they could afford to do.

Or it's the next DLC; things we wanted to add to the game but ran out of time. :)

Whats the consensus now with this patch released, pretty stable/bug free? wondering if I should get it and play now, or wait still. Wonder how my 5870 will do.

Absolutely amazing game... story is great, and so many additional activities, that not like in GTA, makes you want to complete them - like police subquests, for police XP or the face XP quests. Music nad city are also nicely done.. though at first I had driving issues - keep forgetting that it's driving on the left city.

Fighting is okay, though I believe Batman had it more fluent, and tad better, though it's basically same design of combat. Also the chases when jumping through walls, doors, climbing - loook a lot like Chinese action movies, and I'm sucker for those :) SOme elemnts,like slamming people into telephone booths or into different pieces of enviroment reminds me of the Punisher game.

On my machine, in sig, with most things set on normal, and high texture pack, I get average 58 FPS and 85 FPS tops (according to ingame benchmark). Also I believe that xbox gamepad works better then mouse and keyboard - is more intuitive, and easier to play.

Generally, it's really well done game by Square Enix, well ported - there is no problem if Iwant to use keyboard in menu, it auto detects when keys or gamepad is used - though, on the other hand, when you chase someone, don't let your cat jump on keyboard, or you fail the mission :D

And i'd love to see 2nd part ;)

Fantastic game. The more I play it the more impressed I get. I was driving around and it was night time and raining and it just looked gorgeous and real. My sister walked by and had to stop and watch because it was just that impressive looking.

Thankfully it plays as well as it looks and there's a lot of variety and depth in this game.

Someone posted earlier that this thing does a few tricks that GTA should adopt. I agree with that. Money actually means something in this. You don't get to keep everything you steal.

A minor quibble but more realistic in this sense: You don't even get to keep your gun forever and ever. And you can only carry one weapon at a time. Stuff like that.

The year isn't over yet but this is on course to be Dark Horse of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

For those of you having SLI problems.

Add this to your profile.

Profile "Sleeping Dogs"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "hkship.exe"
Setting ID_0x00a06946 = 0x0C4010F5
Setting ID_0x1033cec2 = 0x00000002
Setting ID_0x1033dcd3 = 0x00000004
Setting ID_0x10ecdb82 = 0x00000001
EndProfile

My minimum was 30 FPS before. Now min is 59 and max is 79.

Anybody have a clue why I can't enable the HD texture pack? I already downloaded it from Steam. I try to put it on "Enable" but it just slides back off to disable or whatever.

Finished the main story last night. Fun as hell playing what is essentially an extended Hong Kong action movie and what is funny is that the (voice)acting in this game is loads better. Extremely impressed by the overall quality and definitely looking forward to what happens in the future with the story and characters.

Sadly I have not topped out my Triad score. Guess I took it easy on my enemies when killing them, lol

Also, these are my benchmark results which I'm pretty happy with:
2gora.jpg

Last edited:
Just completed the game (minus a few left over drug busts and lockboxes), and it was a blast! Overall, I put in about 24 hours. My steam says 28 but there were times I left the game paused for long periods of time.

I would recommend this game to anyone that likes these types of open world (gta style) games.

Anyone know where to get guns when you're not on a missing? Can I buy em from anywhere? The only place I know are in missions and police trunks.

Loved the game 9/10.

+ Great story and voice acting
+ Great graphics
+ Great performance
+ Good driving mechanics, prolly best in this type of game
+ Great tracks/music/ambiance

- Short (took me 17 hours to do main story with a good side of other missions)
- Too little voicework from the ladies

Absolutely loved the game and will definitely be up for some DLC missions or even a new side story. World is also beautiful and some of the funnies that pedestrians throw and women outside your home discussions are downright hilarious.

"Hey sexy man, want to try new clothes! Great knock offs here"

:D

DennisK4 - looks super realistic but nothing like my game....mine look more like Shantarr.Dalrae's screenshots...

what mods are you using to get such clarity in game??

I'm now riding around picking health shrines.... Done only one or two missions from main plot, also done about 6 of the cop missions in starting area. At first I had trouble with hacking the cameras, but there is easy way to do it. :)

What I'd like to see, and would really pay for it - the soundtrack. It's even more impressive and IMO better then In Gita. The classic radio is pure win :) I hope Square Enix will offer it for sale.

Best game of 2012 thus far for me.

This!

However, I wonder if it will get the credit it deserves since they probably haven't thrown enough coke and hooker money at the "awards" sites. I :rolleyes:

on the fence for this game ATM. i want to buy it , since i loved just cause 2. Does the gameplay translate well with a kb/m?

on the fence for this game ATM. i want to buy it , since i loved just cause 2. Does the gameplay translate well with a kb/m?

Been just fine for me. Mouse still has a little oversensitivity in certain situations. If you're driving a vehicle, have your hand off the mouse entirely and you'll be in good shape.

This!

However, I wonder if it will get the credit it deserves since they probably haven't thrown enough coke and hooker money at the "awards" sites.I :rolleyes:

Heh, indeed.

What more proof do you need?
Also you can buy a steam key from greenmangaming for 36$ using the following voucher:
DERHE-RRDER-RINGE

What more proof do you need?
Also you can buy a steam key from greenmangaming for 36$ using the following voucher:
DERHE-RRDER-RINGE

Exactly.

One of the best games of the year and going at great prices.

If you even remotely like GTA games this is a no brainer folks.

Seems like a lot of good feedback for this game, I thought it would be a flop.. really considering dropping some money on this, it has been awhile since I paid ~ $30 or for a game, hope it's worth it.

DennisK4 - looks super realistic but nothing like my game....mine look more like Shantarr.Dalrae's screenshots...

what mods are you using to get such clarity in game??

As his character is not present in the images, I have to assume they are dev shots...

Also, like LA NOIRE, I could absolutely justify a full price purchase on this game. I didn't pay full price but I would knowing the level of enjoyment I received.

Edit: thank you for the youtube hits and comments :B

I see I'm not the only one who does the drug busts by doing donuts. Did they really expect us to fight all these people? So much more efficient just to drive a car into them.

Although they do tend to get up if you hit them with the hood, so you got to spin into them for the kill.

I do a mix of fighting and running them over. I like to think it exemplifies exactly why my character is an intimidating badass.

Not Sun On Yee? Creatively painful death for you, sir.

There aren't any mods yet that I'm aware of.

Best game of 2012 thus far for me.

Agreed. I was a little reluctant to pre-order this title, but now I'm glad I did. To be fair, my expectations going in was a little low since I wasn't a big fan of True Crime.

i don't like gta games but i like this game.

this game really just kick some ass.

I see I'm not the only one who does the drug busts by doing donuts. Did they really expect us to fight all these people? So much more efficient just to drive a car into them.

Although they do tend to get up if you hit them with the hood, so you got to spin into them for the kill.

I like to mix it up, not necessarily for the efficiency.

Also, people picking their damn noses in the streets get put into a car trunk and driven into the ocean.

it is possible to fight it all, usually i go for counter attacks and lot of them. trying ppl into objects for a quick kill sometimes. when using a weapon it is quite easy with keyboard/mouse

it is possible to fight it all, usually i go for counter attacks and lot of them. trying ppl into objects for a quick kill sometimes. when using a weapon it is quite easy with keyboard/mouse

Oh absolutely, but I'm in it for the screenshot worthy moments. ;)

There's one that has 14 guys. I didn't bother fighting that one, it was a parking lot perfect for donuts.

Anyone else think the name might confuse people when "Watch Dogs" comes out? They both are open-world and feature hacking. I can see some people thinking the "Dogs" part indicates the series.

I find the hand combat enjoyable as well as gun combat (gun combat is 10x more fun if you know how to use the slow motion jumping over cover and stuff, I see a lot of people just hiding behind things an dpopping out, do NOT do this, it's meant to be played offensively and you can kill people quickly with the slow mo).

In hand combat it gets a lot more open as you find more jade statues and unlock more moves.

To counter do not mash the button, simply press it once when they glow red and let go, the timer is VERY forgiving even if you think you ar elate or "early" you will still counter if you just pressed it. Also when hitting someone else you can still counter someone.

The hand to hand combat definitely borrows from Batman, but it is implemented pretty well. I like it!

Anyone else think the name might confuse people when "Watch Dogs" comes out? They both are open-world and feature hacking. I can see some people thinking the "Dogs" part indicates the series.

If so then it will only help bring further recognition to Sleeping Dogs, which is a good thing.

Back