Skyrim Mods - A Comprehensive List & User Support Thread

I just picked up Skyrim on steam and was wondering what mods I should download. I'm mostly interested in HD textures and players skins as opposed to small details like eyebrows, armor etc.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
 
To get you started:
SMIM, Skyrim HD 2K, Skill Interface Retexture, Hybrids HD Plants and Herbs Retexture, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Ruins Clutter Improved, Chris2012s Whiterun HQ Texture Pack, Inside the Nebula, Enhanced Night Skyrim (for the star textures), High Res Face Maps for Men by Geonox, Coverkhajiits, Coverwomen, Natural Eyes, maybe XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement as a foundation.
 
Cool. You use Full or Lite?

For 2K: There is very little difference between Full and Lite, besides much less VRAM usage. As such, I suggest the Lite version.

For the combiner: I've never used it as I already had my textures installed by the time it came out. :)

By the way, ENB .125 has been released. It features a nice in-game GUI and it helps a lot in seeing what the various settings do and their performance impact.
 
For 2K: There is very little difference between Full and Lite, besides much less VRAM usage. As such, I suggest the Lite version.

For the combiner: I've never used it as I already had my textures installed by the time it came out. :)

Do I install it first before anything else?


By the way, ENB .125 has been released. It features a nice in-game GUI and it helps a lot in seeing what the various settings do and their performance impact.

I was scared away from ENB because it was a performance hog. I'll have to check it out. Get it direct from his site? Not sure I see it.
 
Last edited:
That's what I was going to do. I just wasn't sure where Texture Pack Combiner came into play.

Texture Pack Combiner chooses the "best" textures from several texture packs. You download the texture packs listed in its description page and run the combiner file.
 
Welcome. There are a lot of texture mods out there so if you don't like a certain texture pack that I listed, then there are others to choose from. :)

Delarics Conditional Combat Music
It makes combat music only play when you are fighting certain enemies.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28511

Fantasy Music Overhaul
I think I have the older version of this mod in the list so I'll go update it.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28583/

List up-to-date. I really need to get some headers for the new categories, and list colors as well.
 
Last edited:
dj_2004, or any other person with knowledge of the subject, do you know which mods are the biggest resource hogs? I started a new game today and my framerate would drop to the 20s during the first dragon attack, then jump back to 60 fps. From there, my frame rate remained between 50-60. I'm afraid to turn off v-sync because my screen typically shows tearing above 60 fps for some games (sports primarily, but not first-person shooters). I'll try turning v-sync off when I turn on my machine later tonight.
 
dj_2004, or any other person with knowledge of the subject, do you know which mods are the biggest resource hogs? I started a new game today and my framerate would drop to the 20s during the first dragon attack, then jump back to 60 fps. From there, my frame rate remained between 50-60. I'm afraid to turn off v-sync because my screen typically shows tearing above 60 fps for some games (sports primarily, but not first-person shooters). I'll try turning v-sync off when I turn on my machine later tonight.

Skyrim, unless Bethesda fixed it, has the game's time based on vsync being on. If it is turned off, then, from my understanding, the game's time will slowly become out of sync with the actual time of day.

Is this framerate drop only occurring during the first dragon attack? What is your mod list?
 
Here are the mods I'm using currently (2 images, click to enlarge):



]

I'm sure there are optimization problems somewhere since I'm new (see dates mods were installed) to Skyrim modding. I just downloaded what I liked and installed in the order described in the descriptions. Also, if needed, I can take screens of my load order later tonight. Of note, I'm also using RCRN. During the Dragon attacks at the beginning is where I got the biggest drop (down to 29 fps), the frame rate elsewhere was between 50 - 60 w/ a few dips to 45 or so (nothing horrible).

Thanks for taking a look. My initial thoughts are that WARZONES is causing a lot of bottleneck; however, I wasn't sure since the mod probably doesn't have much to do with the earliest parts of the game.
 
Last edited:
FYI, I'm going to try using the Texture Pack Combiner you mentioned earlier in the thread and see if that helps.
 
I'm surprised you aren't crashing as some of those mods are not the most stable.

Warzones may be the cause. I know people have complained about performance and stability when using that mod. I've never tried it so I don't know.

From what I gathered in your post, you aren't using BOSS? I highly suggesting using it and also paying attention to the warnings that it gives (if any) on the web page it opens.

Using TES5Edit is suggested as well. This cleans mods of dirty edits and helps with compatibility, stability, and maybe performance.

Finally, Wrye Bash is good for several things but the bashed patch is probably the most important feature, at the moment. This will help certain mods work together rather than overwriting one another (if this is happening).
 
Like I said, I'm new to the Skyrim mod scene, so your inputs are very valuable. Is there a way to check a mod's stability? Or is that what TES5Edit does by cleaning a mod?

I ran TPC last night on the three required mods only to ensure it worked properly. It took some time, but its finished. When I run TPC again with all the texture mods I want (req'd & optional), do I just copy and paste the contents of the combined data folder into the main Skyrim data folder? Will BOSS put this in the correct load order as well?

Thanks for all the help.
 
This morning I decided to delete all the Skyrim mods and restart from scratch. I downloaded TPC, all the required and optional mods, and ran the batch file to get a combined texture folder. I just made a 7z archive and I'm about to load it into NMM. Will BOSS be able to recognize this combined texture pack and place it in the appropriate load location? Or am I to assume the new pack goes directly after the official HD pack? I ask because I'm still trying to figure out BOSS.

Also, are the mods you mentioned at the beginning of the thread as well as those you use considered relatively stable?

Thanks again for all the assistance.
 
Two quick ways to judge stability of a mod (though these aren't sure ways to know if a mod is stable or not):
1. esp/esm made before CK was released and not updated/remade with the CK.
2. Comment section in Nexus.

BOSS also sometimes informs you of stability.

TES5Edit also kind of does, in its own way (lots of dirty edits). BOSS will usually let you know which mods are dirty but older mods tend to not have the message so it is best to just go down your mod list and clean all the mods unless the author of a mod that you're using states otherwise. You'll want to clean update.esm and the official DLC too. Don't clean Skyrim.esm since it is impossible for it to be dirty.

I never used TPC so no clue. I install my texture mods manually or with Wrye Bash, so I'm no help with NMM. Unless a mod has a esp/esm, then BOSS will not do anything with it as that program is for reordering esp/esm files.

Some of the mods in the OP are stable, some are not. It is hard to judge due to conflicts with other mods, and not so much with mods simply being poorly made. However, Warzones is known to cause instability and Midas Magic was created before the CK so I personally don't feel that it is safe. JaySuS Swords is similar to Midas Magic in that regard but the swords are just too pretty to say no to. :) You may have seen my note under one or two mods that links to a compatibility patch: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26230/. His compatibility patches are likely a very good idea to use for mods like Midas Magic and JaySuS Swords (and whatever else he has listed).

Be careful of which mods you install and create saved games with, as Skyrim does not like the removal of mods from existing saves.
 
Found some motivation today and made a little cottage for Snowbound Acres' historian:
TESV2012-12-2514-28-52-09sdE-1.jpg

TESV2012-12-2514-28-52-09sdB.jpg

TESV2012-12-2514-28-52-09sdC-1.jpg
 
I dig how much thought you put into your designs.

I've never modded with anything but NMM, is it pretty necessary to learn these other programs to get a stable modded game?
 
I dig how much thought you put into your designs.

I've never modded with anything but NMM, is it pretty necessary to learn these other programs to get a stable modded game?

Thanks.

It depends which and how many mods you use. However, BOSS is simple and quick to use so there isn't any reason, that I can see, to not use it.

Wrye Bash is useful for the bashed patch feature, but only some mods, when used together, "need" the bashed patch. Without a bashed patch, the last loaded mod will simply win, meaning its changes will show up in game while the other mods' changes will not (this will likely only occur in level lists). It isn't that complex of a program nowadays, unlike how it was with Oblivion.

TES5Edit is great and easy to use.

I think that's about it when it comes to programs.
 
Thanks.

It depends which and how many mods you use. However, BOSS is simple and quick to use so there isn't any reason, that I can see, to not use it.

Wrye Bash is useful for the bashed patch feature, but only some mods, when used together, "need" the bashed patch. Without a bashed patch, the last loaded mod will simply win, meaning its changes will show up in game while the other mods' changes will not (this will likely only occur in level lists). It isn't that complex of a program nowadays, unlike how it was with Oblivion.

TES5Edit is great and easy to use.

I think that's about it when it comes to programs.

You really deserve a pat on the back for that, its quite impressive.
 
You really deserve a pat on the back for that, its quite impressive.

Thanks. I do not like cookie-cutter stuff so I try to make my mods unique. :)

Now to make some dialogue for the people of Snowbound Acres and hopefully find some voice actors.
 
Thanks. I do not like cookie-cutter stuff so I try to make my mods unique. :)

Now to make some dialogue for the people of Snowbound Acres and hopefully find some voice actors.

I've always thought i could do better than all the voice acting in M&B mods lol
 
I've never played a M&B that even had voice acting. :(

And hey, you have your GTX 580 finally. :D

Hell ya! Finally got off my ass and did the switch. Also got a new soundcard and set of headphones... prepping for some sweet Skyrim. Just not looking forward to the part where i spend two days getting it set up lol

The ones i've played which had some voice acting were 1866 and Prophecy of Pendor.. and they sound like they're using a desk mic
 
Some sweet, sweet, crashtastic Skyrim. :)

I played PoP too and didn't realize it had voice acting (maybe it was added after I played it).
 
BOSS looks very easy to use. TESVEdit looks a little more advanced, but I'm going to try playing with it tonight since my game is like new again (deleted all mods, etc.). I've heard / read cleaning the Update.esm is one of the first things you should do before playing Skyrim.

BTW, Skyrim Realistic Overhaul is ridiculous...now sure why people like Skyrim 2K more.
 
BOSS looks very easy to use. TESVEdit looks a little more advanced, but I'm going to try playing with it tonight since my game is like new again (deleted all mods, etc.). I've heard / read cleaning the Update.esm is one of the first things you should do before playing Skyrim.

BTW, Skyrim Realistic Overhaul is ridiculous...now sure why people like Skyrim 2K more.

There's a good tutorial that the authors of TES5Edit made on CK wiki (I linked to it in the OP but here it is for convenience: http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit). If you prefer videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8YBJm9l64 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQO2S6HDBw

However, unlike in the video, when cleaning mods that have master files, you do not need to activate the master files as TES5Edit knows to include those. For example: when cleaning Dawnguard.esm, whose master files are Skyrim.esm and Update.esm, you only need to tick the box next to Dawnguard.esm or just double click on Dawnguard.esm.

Basically, you go down your load order from top to bottom, cleaning everything except Skyrim.esm and bashed patch.esp. Update.esm will be the first one to be cleaned, and this is because any mod that has it as a master will be compared against it. So you want it to be clean before any such comparisons.

SRO is likely not as popular as Skyrim 2K was quicker to the punch. I've been meaning to try SRO out since it is now mostly complete. I do use its Dawnguard texture pack and it is very good.
 
A bit off topic but is there any way to NOT keep becoming a damn vampire? I did the cure once and got infected again really quick. Annoying.
 
Thanks for this post. It has helped me enhance my Skyrim experience a great deal!
 
Last edited:
Hey can I get a link to this mod. I like your house mods, they remind me of Oblivion.

Thanks.

Snowbound Acres is a whole village (currently six buildings):
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28131

It does have a player home - The Cruddy Barrel - though I can easily make it so that if the player kills the historian, you gain ownership to his cottage and belongings. This would be done in the same way that I did it with my Autumn Cabin and Secluded Cottage mods. However, the historian will be a quest giver in the next update (and then, hopefully, a merchant selling unique goodies) so you probably wouldn't want to kill him. I also didn't design it as a player home as there aren't a whole lot of storage containers and no weapon racks/bookcases/etc.

Thanks for this post. It has helped me enhance my Skyrim experience a great deal!

You're welcome. :)
 
Hey if I kill the owner , how do I get his body out of the house? I don't want his corpse stinking up the joint.
 
Shadows. How do you get yours so natural looking? I still have blocky, blobby ones. Not horrible but not anything as nice as yours. See under her head how crappy they are?

TESV2012-12-3013-07-40-058_zps57a8a0a5.jpg
 
Back
Top