Skyrim Mods - A Comprehensive List & User Support Thread

For those of you using Jaysus Swords, you may want to download this compatibility patch:
Sharlikrans Compatibility Patches
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26230/

And, again, I highly recommend Wyrmstooth.

Wow. If HardOCP had rep, I would give you 50,000 rep points. Thanks, dj_2004.

Thanks. :)

Alright Guys check this one out. This guy went through the entire game and balanced everything, quite and amazing feet I think.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26217

Installed it last night, so far its awesome.

I'll add that mod into the list later today, I hope.

Up-to-date. Added the above mod and:
Nordic Adventurers Armor by Natterforme
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27068

Jewels of the Nord
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27038

Insanitys Kahvozein Fang
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26903

And several modder resource mods.

Last edited:
Are there other mods than EZ2C Dialogue Menu - FULLY CONFIGURABLE which change or improve the dialogues?

Anything else that touches the user interface besides various HUD mods like iHUD, and SkyUI?

I've been dabbling with Flash CS5 and ActionScript for a week now and starting to get somewhere.

Currently I'm fixing some annoyances with the dialoguemenu. Specifically I have it now that the mouse can click items, but does not change the focused item, so when you press E it always picks the "center" option (next to the arrow). It also prevents the focus from leaving the default option moments after entering a dialogue, sometimes after a NPC's greeting ends, the focus would move because the mouse pointer happens to be there, even if you don't move the mouse.

I think that might be sufficiently useful to publish once I get the mouse highlighting to work properly (I want to stop the focus change, but keep the mouse highlighting).

I asked about other mods above because I thought of what to do next, and figured an incremental step for me as I get to grips with AS2/Flash, would be to redo the title screen menu. Maybe make it more like a typical PC game menu where you can still use the keyboard up/down, but also click with the mouse with large clickable areas instead of tiny text that scrolls. I'm thinking of a list similar to SkyUI.

What other parts of the UI would you guys like to see changed?

I've seen some pretty awesome concepts such as this thread, however some of it may not be doable. My hopes have been squashed rather bluntly as I found out there is no way to render 3D views in the GUI. Creating a classic RPG style inventory as a grid would require pre-rendering icons for every individual item in vanilla Skyrim, since multiple item views can' be rendered. So that's an idea I had to abandon.

To be honest there's a lot of limitations baked in the Scaleform UI, which is perhaps why there are so few UI mods. Other than making screens a little more mouse driven / PC friendly, I'm not quite sure what to do. For example I find the selection in the perks screen quite annoying at times, but then again not so much to warrant redoing the whole layout.

I wan't a "dump all inventory" into a container option (other than equipped items)! :D I'ts annoying when you come back with 4023405 things 9especially when using bags etc.) and have to go through one by one putting them into a box instead of a 1 click dump and then take back the potions or whatever!

Ah yes, that would involve the Inventory I think, which is modded by SkyUI (well on the front end side of things). And scripting most likely. For the front end, there is no way to mix and match mods that touch the same Interface component that I am aware of (other than hacking the code yourself).

I vaguely remember a mod that let you take or store all items of one type, ie. all potions, all weapons... which sounds close to what you described. Maybe someone can help my failing memory :p

EDIT: Ah, maybe Jonte's Better Containers, it's on Steam Workshop.

Last edited:
Personally one thing that messes my brain now and then is the keymappings. I tend to associate the function with the key, but the function changes depending on context. Sometimes E is sell, and sometimes it's equip! Or E can be thought of as "outwards" (as in selling), and sometimes E is more like "inwards" (as in looting or equipping)... I know not everyone has the same way of thinking so it's not universal. A minor bugger for me. It's one of those things that adds that 0.1 seconds of extra thinking whenever I have to sell or trade items with my follower. I can"t blindly use the keyboard because I never know for sure what's going to happen >_>

That said I'm not too sure what I'd do about it.

Another thing I did actually fix on my end is changing the threshold before which you get the slider when selling or storing items. I have it set to 10 instead of 5, by recompiling itemcard.swf. I find it easier when I have stacks of potions to just hammer the R key instead of having to switch R > E (confirm slider), then R, etc Because when you try to store a lot of things at once it's really annoying as sometimes you get the slider, sometimes not. Increasing the threshold is a small improvement in usability for me. I tought it wasn't worthwhile publishing on Nexus, but maybe if I add a config file so people can set whatever threshold they want.

I would like to see a better crafting menu (smithing, alchemy, and enchanting).

Interesting, I quite like crafting myself. Are you thinking about the organization or the slow "browsing" through the available options?

Some things may never be possible according to a commenter in this Reddit thread. I'm not sure what he means by forge organization, categories like "Iron", and "Leather" I imagine? If those are hardcoded then indeed on the front end all you'd be able to do is display the full lists for easier selection, but not change the categories unless using some form of naming convention that would limit to mods that make use of it.

Perhaps the craft categories could just be dynamically "guessed" if the item names allow it (ie "glass armor", "glass boots" go into "glass"). Or the front end could ignore categories and display it all under an alphabetically sorted list.

But as one commenter hints, I am wondering about SkyUI's future plans. I think they are working on a Favorites Menu overhaul? I imagine they'll get to those screens eventually and it should be easier for them to write them since they have rewritten a bunch of list handling classes for the Inventory menu.

If you know about the SkyUI plans I'd be interested I have no idea where all those threads are.

Thanks! I'll have to register on there to keep track of those discussions. It's kinda hard to follow those threads when I find a link on Google often times it's an old thread which is closed and then it's a bit tricky trying to "climb up" to the newest thread. Why are these threads cut in multiple parts anyway? I noticed this happens on this forum too, is that because of a forum software limitation?

Thanks! I'll have to register on there to keep track of those discussions. It's kinda hard to follow those threads when I find a link on Google often times it's an old thread which is closed and then it's a bit tricky trying to "climb up" to the newest thread. Why are these threads cut in multiple parts anyway? I noticed this happens on this forum too, is that because of a forum software limitation?

That forum has a 200 post count limit per thread. It is mainly a leftover rule from before they updated the forum (pre-2010ish).

I haven't noticed any such thing on this forum.

This thread was recreated no long ago, it was many more pages. Not to be rude, I'm just puzzled.

This thread was recreated no long ago, it was many more pages. Not to be rude, I'm just puzzled.

That is because each post here only allows ~60,000 characters. As such, I didn't reserve enough first posts to properly create the mod list. This is why I reserved 7 first posts in this thread.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up. I had assumed (wrongly) both forums were following some sort of convention.

I've been playing with RND (Realistic Needs and Diseases) and it's good. My only concern are with updates as you have to do a clean save before each update and I fear that may ultimately cause problems later on. Of course I may just be overly cautious.

And try out ENB v.121 if you haven't. The performance boost is very noticeable on my computer.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up. I had assumed (wrongly) both forums were following some sort of convention.

No problem. I really didn't want to make a new thread but the previous thread's 3 reserved posts were completely full by the time I locked the thread. Now I have 7 (actually 8) reserved posts. :D

Does anyone know where the line of code is to increase the amount of "bokeh" the game displays when using depth of field? I'm using ENB v.121. Trying to achieve this...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3402/tesv2012111900490768.jpg

EDIT - Nevermind. I found another set of ENB settings, Skyrim Visual Immersion III, and paired with ENB v.121 it looks amazing and performs even better!

Last edited:
Better Dialogue Controls

I'm about to publish a tweaked version of the dialoguemenu on the Nexus, which aims to remove some friction with the way the keyboard and mouse input handling works.

EDIT: Published on the Nexus: Better Dialogue Controls

Last edited:
Question, I know Skyrim is limited more by CPU, but once you stack on mods like ENB and high res textures/polys, would I benefit using my current CPU (C2Q Q9550) with a higher end Video card?

Look for VRAM. GPU-Z reports up to 1500 MB for me with the official HD texture pack. So if your current GPU has just 1 GB VRAM than you can benefit from having one with 2GB or a ATI with 3. I'm not sure ENB uses more memory. It might use a bit more VRAM for zbuffer or SSAO or whatnot, but I think the highres textures will be your primary concern. Many mods offer medium versions though. Often times I find the "high quality" version of mods is unnecessary. eg. Sometimes you can barely see the difference between 2048x2048 and 1024x1024, especially if it's use on small items, but one eats four times as much memory over the other.

Will be added to the list soon:
Crystal Hammer
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27292

Question, I know Skyrim is limited more by CPU, but once you stack on mods like ENB and high res textures/polys, would I benefit using my current CPU (C2Q Q9550) with a higher end Video card?

I agree with faB, 1024x1024 res textures tend to look nearly identical to the 2048x2048 res versions. Exceptions I know of is armor/weapon mods and Skyrim Flora Overhaul.

I think ENB makes use of both the CPU and GPU quite heavily, but probably more on the GPU side. My GTX 680 is my bottleneck and its the processing speed, not VRAM (though that maxes out sometimes as well).

Personally, I'd recommend a better video card first and then CPU unless you can find a good deal on a CPU/Motherboard bundle.

Last edited:
thanks, got the 7970 saphire deal. Feeling like my CPU will be significantly bottlenecked now. How much memory will Skyrim use up with the full mod stack?

thanks, got the 7970 saphire deal. Feeling like my CPU will be significantly bottlenecked now. How much memory will Skyrim use up with the full mod stack?

VRAM? 3GB is more than enough VRAM for modded Skyrim unless you play at some very high resolution (I play at 2560x1440 and used ~1900-2100MB).

Can someone try this link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/add/

I want to upload a new mod but the link keeps timing out and I'm not sure if it is Nexus or something on my side.

VRAM? 3GB is more than enough VRAM for modded Skyrim unless you play at some very high resolution (I play at 2560x1440 and used ~1900-2100MB).

I want to upload a new mod but the link keeps timing out and I'm not sure if it is Nexus or something on my side.

I mean 4GB of normal RAM.

Link was timing out for me too.

Link is taking ages to load...

Nolthings loaded it's just spinning. Guess it's broken right now!

I went away to get a drink and came back and it's loaded. :D So just keep retrying. Or go get a drink!

Yup, just got it uploaded. :) faB, do you mind if I add your mod to the list?

Well, I think I may finally release Snowbound Acres. I guess I must've fixed most of the bug list months ago or maybe it was patch 1.8. :)

Sure, thanks :)

Added.

Do you know if it fixes how the menu detects the mouse cursor? For instance, sometimes Skyrim doesn't pay attention to which dialogue choice the cursor is on and instead selects the highlighted one (which, in this case, is usually just the first dialogue choice). I know you stated that the mod shouldn't affect this stuff but one of the comments makes it sound like it might.

Is ENB that hard to install / use? I was thinking about getting ENB or the FXAA Post Process Injector, but wasn't sure which I should go with.

Is ENB that hard to install / use? I was thinking about getting ENB or the FXAA Post Process Injector, but wasn't sure which I should go with.

Very easy to install. Hardest thing is finding a preset that looks good to you.

Very easy to install. Hardest thing is finding a preset that looks good to you.
Are there more than the 7 presets found on the ENB website? Out of curiosity, which are you using? Which is most popular in the community?

Are there more than the 7 presets found on the ENB website? Out of curiosity, which are you using? Which is most popular in the community?

There are likely hundreds of them on Nexus. I use one I custom made for myself based on an old Unreal Warfare preset. I don't know the most popular.

Do you know if it fixes how the menu detects the mouse cursor? For instance, sometimes Skyrim doesn't pay attention to which dialogue choice the cursor is on and instead selects the highlighted one (which, in this case, is usually just the first dialogue choice). I know you stated that the mod shouldn't affect this stuff but one of the comments makes it sound like it might.

In vanilla Skyrim for me if the mouse cursor is lying over a menu item, then sometimes I can't even move the focus away and reach the top or the end of the list. The mouse just steals the focus and locks it in place.

Actually rereading you it seems like you describe what I was trying to fix. It's so hard to describe this thing. :p

One way perhaps is we can say there are two general modes of controls: keyboard and mouse. You can navigate with up/down and select with E, or you can move the mouse over items, use the scroll wheel, and click.

Now in vanilla Skyrim I would say in general, mouse trumps over keyboard, to the extent that sometimes it just flats out prevents the keyboard controls from working. For example I just run the game, I started a dialogue with the follower. The mouse cursor was over the 2nd option ("Wait"). I tried scrolling to the top of the list by pressing up, repeatedly, but it just won't let me pick the first option with the keyboard. If I press E, it picks the 2nd option, which is currently highlighted by the mouse.

My mod doesn't remove all friction like that, I still run in one issue, but overall it makes the keyboard and mouse work together better. If the mouse points at a menu item, you can still scroll all the way up or down.

The one thing Better Dialogue Controls may not necessarily improve, is that if you focus entirely on the mouse, and you think of the E key as a duplicate for a mouse click, then it won't work as in vanilla. The E key no longer picks what you are pointing at, it *always* picks the center menu option (next to the speaker name and the poiinty bit), but with the keyboard. But it plays well with the mouse because you can always pick anything off center by clicking.

In vanilla Skyrim for me if the mouse cursor is lying over a menu item, then sometimes I can't even move the focus away and reach the top or the end of the list. The mouse just steals the focus and locks it in place.

Ok I see now. If you don't move the mouse at all when entering a dialogue, then it will work mostly fine in vanilla skyrim, and hence people might wonder what is the point of my mod (and I was wondering too!).

However if you like to use both keyboard and mouse, for example I quite like to point at things somwhat in the same way that people like to put their finger on a page when reading... BUT then you use the keyboard controls to activate or move in the list, THEN you will run in the issues that my mod tries to fix. Basically as soon as you move the mouse, the mouse pointer somehow steals the focus and starts messing with the keyboard controls.

A person to test it with is the female blacksmith in Whiterun. Enter the barter dialogue then exit but leave the dialogue choices up. Now the mouse pretty much has no control on what is selected other than sometimes what the cursor is hovering over while scrolling with the mousewheel. With your mod, it is better as that little arrow controls what is to be selected rather than the game trying to do both the arrow and cursor.

Back