Skyrim Modding Megathread

Methinks we need DEATH METAL on occasion.

It'll be easier for people to see it then for me to describe it.

Download the nord mod and install it and then go into your Skyrim/data/music folder area and you'll see what those files look like, what they're named, the extensions, subfolders, and so forth.

I'm not sure if that's the form that HAS to be used or not. I don't know if the game insists on .xwm files and name structure like that or not.

Once that's determined up or down then, hell, anyone can use any music they want.

With 1.4 coming out, will this break most mods or is it fairly moot point?

In theory it shouldn't but you can't ever know for sure. Depends on the kind of mod. If it's just textures or music they shouldn't be affected.

Any mod like SkyUI reliant on SKSE will have to wait for SKSE to be updated post patch.

In theory it shouldn't but you can't ever know for sure. Depends on the kind of mod. If it's just textures or music they shouldn't be affected.

Any mod like SkyUI reliant on SKSE will have to wait for SKSE to be updated post patch.

Yup, I'll be keeping Steam in offline mode until a compatible version of SKSE (and a compatible Ultrawide fix) is released.

Anyone know the exact settings in the ini files that directly improves indoor shadows, especially around fireplaces and on characters? I like the armor mod I'm trying, but the shadows on my body and the walls around torches, etc. are all banded and jaggy. Thanks.

Gonna pick up Skyrim for the PC tonite on Steam, i should be able to run mods on it correct? also what are the upmost essential mods without bogging it down for my system in my sig? thanks.

Yeah, those changes made it noticeably better, but there's still quite a bit of banding on shadows. Feels more sluggish now also.

Even with skyboost, which helps a lot, CPU matters big time as well with this game.

Those tweaks in the article are really good and most of them shouldn't harm performance.

I'm running shadows on high instead of ultra. Made an epic difference for me performance wise. Even skyboost couldn't help me enough to run shadows on ultra without taking a fairly noticeable hit.

Tweaking the inis from default ultra of 4096 to 8192 is only if most people want to watch a slideshow and visually it really isn't worth it. IMO. Unless you have beastly hardware.

Kyle and crew discussed this in length in the IQ article. The big thing about filtering shadows is you need a card to do it. The penalty is pretty big. The penalty gets worse when you go indoors; you spend a lot of time indoors.

Yeah, definitely want to go easy on jacking either of those up.

I believe I went with 4096 on the shadow resolution and 9 on the shadow mask. Made things look considerably better than default for not too terrible of a performance hit.

As far as the shadow banding, especially while indoors (near the cook fire in Breezehome seems to be the worst), I don't think anyone has found a fix for that yet.

Yeah, definitely want to go easy on jacking either of those up.

I believe I went with 8192 on the shadow resolution and 9 on the shadow mask. Made things look considerably better than default for not too terrible of a performance hit.

Yes, but you have beastly hardware like I referred to. ;)

Yeah, those changes made it noticeably better, but there's still quite a bit of banding on shadows. Feels more sluggish now also.

Yeah, the banding is what really annoys me, anyone have a fix for that? Its like when the game can't decide if there should or shouldn't be a shadow, so it makes an ugly banded one instead.

There was this post a while back on smoothing out shadows with less of a performance hit: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038213385&postcount=929

But the banding, yeah, I have no idea how to fix that.

Last edited:
What causes it? It pisses me right the hell off and a few other games are like that as well.

Okay I'm dumbfounded and need a little help. So for some reason I have this small pile of ice that seems to be stuck to my character. It stays there everywhere I go even when mounted on a horse and sneaking with invisibility. It's even there after I take off all my gear, kill myself, go to prison, fast travel and I even resorted to using the "showracemenu" command to change my character's appearance in hopes of making it go away. Anyone know what's going on here? I think it was caused by Deadly Spell Impacts mods because it appeared not long after I installed it, but persists after I uninstall the mod. It's pretty annoying because it smokes and is downright an eyesore. Are there any console commands I can maybe use?

wtfsxp.jpg

wtf2n.jpg

According to UESP:
Characters hit by frost icicles and arrows may have it stuck on them permanently. This is believed to be related to the function that leaves arrows on bodies hit with arrows, however clearing arrows in inventory or unequipping apparel is not guaranteed to work. Anything which forces your character model to completely rebuild will work to fix this. On the PC you can simply console command sexchange twice which forces a rerender. On 360/PS3 the only way to rerender is to change into a werewolf, but you can also intentionally get hit with some more arrows to restart the routine that clears stuck projectiles off your character.

Source: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Glitches

Holy shit that worked. You are fucking awesome. :D

I was so close to abandoning my character after putting in all that hard work! Guess it wasn't DSI's fault after all.

edit: Well the 'sexchange' command seems to temporarily remove the problem, but when I enter a loading screen the stupid pile of ice just comes back. Guess I'll finally get around to becoming a Werewolf to see if that helps. If not I need to go look for some people to blast me with more ice spells.

Last edited:
Hopefully the unofficial patch will solve this kind of stuff once the CK is released. It is unlikely Bethesda will.

Yeah, it's a damn shame how slow they are with patching the bugs in this game. Especially the game breaking quest bugs that literally require you to be on the PC in order to fix it.

Yeah, it's a damn shame how slow they are with patching the bugs in this game. Especially the game breaking quest bugs that literally require you to be on the PC in order to fix it.

It's frustrating but the game has been out 9 weeks and we're about to see patch 1.4.

For Bethesda, this actually seems a little more brisk than previous games.

ugh, i wish Nexus' servers didn't suck dick

Over an hour to download a 100mb file.

ugh, i wish Nexus' servers didn't suck dick

Over an hour to download a 100mb file.

Welcome to the weekend on the free servers.

I'm glad I'm a paid member. It's worth it. I've been using them since Oblivion so they've more than earned my money. Super fast downloads and now Nexus Mod Manager makes it almost too easy.

Psyrim

Are the premium servers that much better? I've always had slow downloads, even during the middle of the week. Manually downloading and using the manager.

Psyrim

Are the premium servers that much better? I've always had slow downloads, even during the middle of the week. Manually downloading and using the manager.

Their site was running slow today in general. Doesn't surprise me given the demand.

From my experience, the premium servers have been well worth it.

Actually, quest mods are the main thing that the CK is holding back. And those (at least the good ones) will take time to make. House/fortress mods will be out in a hurry too. The stuff that sucks the bandwith (texture, models, sounds) has already been maturing before the CK.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make your character taller? For some reason ever since I got hit with the icicle glitch, either my character shrank or all the NPCs in the world grew half a foot taller. It's pretty funny now that everyone I talk to has to look down to make eye contact.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make your character taller? For some reason ever since I got hit with the icicle glitch, either my character shrank or all the NPCs in the world grew half a foot taller. It's pretty funny now that everyone I talk to has to look down to make eye contact.

Be an Altmer? Tallest/fastest race I believe.

Edit:
Yes.
But if you just want to be taller, "player.setscale" is the command you're looking for.

Can anyone point me to a mod that keeps my damn horse from running off! 2k gone so far!

Back