Skyrim impressions

You could always use one of the analog sticks to move the cursor. I've been using a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler (PGP) to allow me to use the 360 controller as a mouse, haven't touched my mouse in literally 4 years. Right trigger = left click, Left trigger = right click, etc...

Yeah, I want to know this too. I levelled smithing hardcore to get some nice Light gear but when I put a point in scale/plate crafting the scale armour has worse stats than the elven, and I don't get any "plate" recipes anywhere. I don't really know what's going on there.

Still, going to wear scale over Elven because I don't like mincing around looking like a daft knob out of LOTR.

Ok, anyone who can point me in the right direction to fixing this incredibly annoying issue, gets my undying praise.

Whenever I kill something with either lightning or a plain sword/bow/ANYTHING, that thing/person goes FLYING like I just swatted them with a sledgehammer. I'd say they go flying atleast 30-40 feet. This is incredibly annoying and I have no clue why it's happening. This wasn't happening on my Nord, but it's happening on my Redguard :/

Also, my damn companions ALWAYS equip a bow for some reason. I'll give them a sweet enchanted axe, they'll equip it for a few minutes, and then go right back to the bow. THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A BOW IN THEIR INVENTORY!!!

I feel totally lost in this game, I've only put about 3 hours into the game because I just can't deal with this screen flickering, sounding like I'm swimming and mobs pretty much hovering in the air problem, apparently there is all sorts of crafting in this game...

Yeah totally lost

I feel totally lost in this game, I've only put about 3 hours into the game because I just can't deal with this screen flickering, sounding like I'm swimming and mobs pretty much hovering in the air problem, apparently there is all sorts of crafting in this game...

Yeah totally lost

I get that a lot too. Try getting the FPS limiter from skyrimnexus and setting the frame cap to 60 - I tried to record the swimming/flickering thing and as soon as I did it took my framerate down to 60FPS - expectedly - but that actually cured the problem.

Ok, anyone who can point me in the right direction to fixing this incredibly annoying issue, gets my undying praise.

Whenever I kill something with either lightning or a plain sword/bow/ANYTHING, that thing/person goes FLYING like I just swatted them with a sledgehammer. I'd say they go flying atleast 30-40 feet. This is incredibly annoying and I have no clue why it's happening. This wasn't happening on my Nord, but it's happening on my Redguard :/

Also, my damn companions ALWAYS equip a bow for some reason. I'll give them a sweet enchanted axe, they'll equip it for a few minutes, and then go right back to the bow. THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A BOW IN THEIR INVENTORY!!!

Seems like it only occurs when I have dual wield lightning and another weapon. When I just have one weapon and no lightning, the flying bodies syndrome doesn't happen. Which sucks balls because I specced for lightning. I'll try fire and see if the same happens...

I get that a lot too. Try getting the FPS limiter from skyrimnexus and setting the frame cap to 60 - I tried to record the swimming/flickering thing and as soon as I did it took my framerate down to 60FPS - expectedly - but that actually cured the problem.

Yeah, this should work. The game doesn't play well with high frame rates which is why the FPS is locked with vsync.

hey all, never played oblivion beyond a few minutes in the beginning. Without having the general experience of most of you, is this game connected to the previous games in a way that new players might find themselves lost??
In other words, if I have no experience in this game, could I enjoy it without having said exp?

No, you can jump right in. There are references to Oblivion but if you want to know backstory - check out the Wiki for supplements. There are some references to Morrowind. Some NPCs come from the Oblivion and some come from Morrowind. They will talk about this in passing usually.

hey all, never played oblivion beyond a few minutes in the beginning. Without having the general experience of most of you, is this game connected to the previous games in a way that new players might find themselves lost??
In other words, if I have no experience in this game, could I enjoy it without having said exp?

You will have no problem jumping right in! :D

The games are completely independent except for some basic principles I guess. Playing Skyrim for the first time will be like playing Oblivion for the first time. Some NPC's might refer to a certain event from Oblivion in casual conversation, but it's not a big deal.

You will be fine jumping in. There will be some lore references but if you find the time to actually read the books scattered around the game or listen to some of the comments the NPC randomly say, some of the lore gets filled in.

Apparently Skyrim takes places two centuries after Oblivion, so it doesn't tie directly in at all. At most I think there are some passing references to the previous game's events.

The handful that I have used have their base equipment and a role (tank, dps, ranged) that they will default to. Lydia for instance always defaults to her base steel armor, sword and shield. If I drop a better shield and sword into her inventory she will use them. She will use a bow also, but usually defaults to the sword and shield.

What companion are you using?

The handful that I have used have their base equipment and a role (tank, dps, ranged) that they will default to. Lydia for instance always defaults to her base steel armor, sword and shield. If I drop a better shield and sword into her inventory she will use them. She will use a bow also, but usually defaults to the sword and shield.

What companion are you using?

i really like hearing this, because that means there is actually a reason to use more than one companion, for different fights, etc.

I'm loving the master difficulty--i came across a whispmother yesterday and it's like a 3 phase fight... so cool, ended up taking me about an hour to figure out how to conquer the bitch.

I really just wish the dragons had to be approached similarly. As it is, they're way too much of a pushover. I should be running from them for my life until i'm like level 20.

i really like hearing this, because that means there is actually a reason to use more than one companion, for different fights, etc.

I'm loving the master difficulty--i came across a whispmother yesterday and it's like a 3 phase fight... so cool, ended up taking me about an hour to figure out how to conquer the bitch.

I really just wish the dragons had to be approached similarly. As it is, they're way too much of a pushover. I should be running from them for my life until i'm like level 20.

I had one Dragon just fly circles way above me shooting fire down at me. I used up soo many potions and ate most of my food just to stay alive. :(

Once it landed though, wham bam thank you ma'am.

I had one Dragon just fly circles way above me shooting fire down at me. I used up soo many potions and ate most of my food just to stay alive. :(

Once it landed though, wham bam thank you ma'am.

World objects like large houses and mountains not blocking the dragons attacks is extremely gay, even when you're a caster or archer hitting them is real tall task unless they come to hover. I'm not convinced they're a very interesting creature to have to fight to be honest.

World objects like large houses and mountains not blocking the dragons attacks is extremely gay, even when you're a caster or archer hitting them is real tall task unless they come to hover. I'm not convinced they're a very interesting creature to have to fight to be honest.

I agree, the fights are not interesting at all. They sure look cool though.

Beefing up their damage and hp would not cut it. The entire encounter really needs to be overhauled in my opinion. But then again, the entire combat system needs an overhaul.. Meh, the game is still fan-freaking-tastic.

I agree...if I'm a melee character with little to no archery skill, why do I have to shoot a hundred arrows at a dragon to finally have a melee battle with it? Get's annoying.

Fantastic game though.

If you're having a hard time getting dragons to land, continue the primary quest line a little further. You'll eventually gain an ability that will make that portion of dragon killin' easier.

You'll learn a shout called dragonrend that will force the dragon to land.

Last edited:
Yeah, not too spoilery above, anyone who has a complaint about dragons not landing read the above.

I ran into the whispmother and stomped her fairly easy, yet much later on I struggled with the dragon, last time I kicked his ass. (because I'm not an archer this time around)

Dragons need more HP and more aggressive melee

Once they land HEH FIGHT OVER

combat as a whole I think could stand to be a bit more reactive, like a benefit to blocking just as the attack is about to hit you, some form of dodging, like a quick sidestep or hop back.

One thing I don't understand is why Bethesda's caves and dungeons always look like poo. You would think with the small confined hallways they'd be able to make some really nice looking cave textures and post processing effects.

I was going to wait for the price to drop, but decided to get it anyway, ended up playing almost 10 hours today, not sure how because I did a lot of other stuff today, but I don't mind paying the $50 actually because I'm enjoying it a lot.

Killed the first dragon, went to the magic college because I thought they'd give me free spells, in that cave right now.

One thing I don't understand is why Bethesda's caves and dungeons always look like poo. You would think with the small confined hallways they'd be able to make some really nice looking cave textures and post processing effects.

I think some of the indoor lighting effects are pretty neat. Caves aren't supposed to be flashy or glittery. They look nice without going over the top or ruining the atmosphere.

second dragon attacked and then it decided to attack a mammoth too, mr. giant didn't like that, was just watching the giant beat the shit out of him, I lol

Son of a bitch this damned Blood Dragon won't leave me alone anytime I go near Makrath, I am on Master and he will kill me in almost one flame burst. Shits hard.

It's absurd that I had to buy a new cooler so I could OC my CPU because apparently my GTX 580 and 2500k at stock cannot handle Skyrim at 1920x1200 with everything maxed.

It's absurd that I had to buy a new cooler so I could OC my CPU because apparently my GTX 580 and 2500k at stock cannot handle Skyrim at 1920x1200 with everything maxed.
Haven't bought the game yet, but I know the game is CPU limited. Overclocking won't help much.

Back