Skyrim impressions

Using the old exe of the game will result in steam updating the game again unless you set steam specifically not to update.

The problem is that steam is checking the exe version I believe as the DRM was fixed in it, that means that the new patch to get LAA working actually has to essentially fool the steam DRM, it's a modification of the FONV patch that did the same thing. I'm not sure but that may break the steam EULA and I'm fairly sure making modifications to Skyrim itself will break their EULA as well.

Game of the last 5 years for me, easily. Nothing even comes close to the entertainment value of this game in the last half decade.

Game of the last 5 years for me, easily. Nothing even comes close to the entertainment value of this game in the last half decade.

There are games I've enjoyed certain aspects of more (ME2 for combat, ME1 for story, Assassin's Creed 2 for visuals) but nothing has tied everything together at such a high level in such fun way. I have to agree with you. This is the best game I've played for at least 5 years.

Up to my third reinstall of the day. Instead of consistently crashing when I load a saved game, now it crashes seemingly at random. I am shelving Skyrim until major fixes come along. I was intoxicated by this game, why it decided to fubar itself I don't know.

Could someone with a GTX580 please check how much fps they get as the carriage reaches the village in the beggining of the game? I'm getting low fps running at 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF all graphic options on max.

Up to my third reinstall of the day. Instead of consistently crashing when I load a saved game, now it crashes seemingly at random. I am shelving Skyrim until major fixes come along. I was intoxicated by this game, why it decided to fubar itself I don't know.

The only fix I would recommend for random crashes is the LAA exe/fix. It's the only thing I've found that fixes it, and with any mods at all it's pretty much required. I think it will fix your problems.

Have you tried setting your playback devices to 16bit, 44100 hz (CD Quality) in the windows sound panel? Fixed every single crash in skyrim for me. Playing for well over 40 hours now without a single crash.

Have you tried setting your playback devices to 16bit, 44100 hz (CD Quality) in the windows sound panel? Fixed every single crash in skyrim for me. Playing for well over 40 hours now without a single crash.

You shouldn't have to dumb it down to 16 bits. Bethesda themselves even said 24/44.1 is sufficient. Past that you can rule out anything sound related as a source of a problem.

There are games I've enjoyed certain aspects of more (ME2 for combat, ME1 for story, Assassin's Creed 2 for visuals) but nothing has tied everything together at such a high level in such fun way. I have to agree with you. This is the best game I've played for at least 5 years.

I would just like to tell you guys how much you suck. ;) I'm trying to hold off from buying this till some game improving mods are released. Plus I have a 100s of games on backlog to play. But NOOOoooo, you have to tell me this is the best game in 5 years. :D

Thanks. Here we go... Don't read any further unless you've done the drinking challenge in the Whiterun tavern or been to the Reach area.

I was in Whiterun trying to unload loot on the peon merchants there, when I went into the Bannered Mare and was challenged to a drinking match. I appeared to have won, but then I woke up in the Temple of Dibella located in Markrath. The priestess was squawking about me making a mess and being drunk and yelling. I paid the damages but I got the impression that I had been given the Elder Scrolls version of a roofie. I started on this pervert's trail which was WAY off my path in an undiscovered town. So I explored Markrath. Long story short, I could have handled it a lot better. I don't know why I didn't immediately re-load. I hope it doesn't mean I'm losing patience or interest with Skyrim. I got arrested for pickpocketing, got involved in a conspiracy and wound up siding with what looked like the bad guys. It all culminated with a huge bloodbath where I killed all the guards and part of my own team. Now I need to reload. Any thoughts on that town?

Could someone with a GTX580 please check how much fps they get as the carriage reaches the village in the beggining of the game? I'm getting low fps running at 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF all graphic options on max.

I don't have a 580, but I get the same problem.

6950 @ 6970 Shaders, clock, mem, same story: game runs 30-60fps @4412x900 eyefinity 2xAA, max + ini tweaks, but when I start a new game it runs like rubbish, 10-15fps.

I don't have a 580, but I get the same problem.

6950 @ 6970 Shaders, clock, mem, same story: game runs 30-60fps @4412x900 eyefinity 2xAA, max + ini tweaks, but when I start a new game it runs like rubbish, 10-15fps.

I have 2 580's and am getting about 30-40 fps there with everything on. regardless of if I'm using SLI or not. I guess CPU limited, but I can't see how. My computer is dead silent as neither the CPU nor graphics card(s) are being pushed at all.

Thanks. Here we go... Don't read any further unless you've done the drinking challenge in the Whiterun tavern or been to the Reach area.

I was in Whiterun trying to unload loot on the peon merchants there, when I went into the Bannered Mare and was challenged to a drinking match. I appeared to have won, but then I woke up in the Temple of Dibella located in Markrath. The priestess was squawking about me making a mess and being drunk and yelling. I paid the damages but I got the impression that I had been given the Elder Scrolls version of a roofie. I started on this pervert's trail which was WAY off my path in an undiscovered town. So I explored Markrath. Long story short, I could have handled it a lot better. I don't know why I didn't immediately re-load. I hope it doesn't mean I'm losing patience or interest with Skyrim. I got arrested for pickpocketing, got involved in a conspiracy and wound up siding with what looked like the bad guys. It all culminated with a huge bloodbath where I killed all the guards and part of my own team. Now I need to reload. Any thoughts on that town?

Dunno much about the town, since I only stayed long enough to do that leg of the quest. A Night to Remember was definitely one of my favorite quests though.

I imagine I'll make my way to Markarth eventually, I'm trying to make the rounds doing quests in all the cities. I've pretty much exhausted Whiterun (except Companions, saving them for lastish), now I'm moving on to Solitude.

Anybody else find companions annoying as much as I do? Thinking on it, I can't remember having any problem with companions in the Fallout games but for some reason here, I prefer to go solo. Plus, they're very easily killed on higher difficulty settings anyway so their only real use is as a pack mule.

Anybody else find companions annoying as much as I do? Thinking on it, I can't remember having any problem with companions in the Fallout games but for some reason here, I prefer to go solo. Plus, they're very easily killed on higher difficulty settings anyway so their only real use is as a pack mule.

There are some reasons for this.

FO3/FONV companions all level with your character (well except for Veronica until patched). Skyrim companions do not level with your character, their level is set when you first meet them. You can get around this via console commands -

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Followers#Follower_Stats

The other issue is FO3/FONV are primarily range combat based games using guns. It is easier to develop AI that is suitable for this type of combat over melee. Pathing issues for instance in combat is much less of a concern.

There some other considerations as well. For instance armor rating has less of a impact in FO3/FONV compared to Skyrim. Perks also affect damage output less in FO3/FONV. Also companions in FO3/FONV had certain specializations in terms of skills (along with a good starting weapon), there is less information on this for Skyrim, you have no idea what perks/spells your companions have or scale to. Are you equipping your companions with better gear? Equipment choice is also simpler for optimal performance in FO3/FONV.

It is also a quality vs quantity thing. Skyrim has more quantity, but the companions are less developed. They also do not have perk bonuses that are given to the player.

Last edited:
I will say this first. I LOVE the game. From the environment to the combat, love it.

Now, the bad. It feels like the game picks and chooses when it wants to play. When I first bought it, it ran like crap. Maybe 15fps on the wagon at the start. So, I close it and just go to bed. Yesterday, it runs FLAWLESSLY for a good 7 hours. Every setting on ultra with rig in sig. Having a blast. Now today, back to the 15 or so fps and ridiculous lag everywhere. Totally unplayable.

What gives? I haven't changed anything in my rig. Just seems like the game picks and chooses when it wants to run.

really? didn't have nearly so much trouble, the worst thing I had to do was steal a goat from a giant and i got a staff that summons a demora out of it.

really? didn't have nearly so much trouble, the worst thing I had to do was steal a goat from a giant and i got a staff that summons a demora out of it.

If I had moved on from Markarth and not gotten got stealing I'd have been fine :)

Sweet. If I'm in the Legion, Companions and now a wolfman, what other factions can I join without too much fuss?

Thieves guild, wizard's college, Bard college(not sure about this one, haven't done it myself)

I am in Morvath, with a tiny vampire lady problem. Without spoiling much, I played until after midnight last night and I thought that I had resolved the vampire issue. I messed up the quest or else it bugged but I didn't think I had failed it. According to my journal and a glimpse at the walkthrough I got a good result, but the original vampire lady is alive and well and doesn't think anything is amiss. I could keep playing but I'm a vampire killer from way back (Castlevania) and I won't suffer her to keep living, even if she isn't aware of what I did to her little coterie. Should I roll back several hours of play?

She was supposed to be killed. I just borked the quest because I invaded her house and killed her man. I rolled back.

What about the Dark Brotherhood?

The Dark Brotherhood quest line is great. I really, really enjoyed it. It's also pretty easy to join. To join, you have to help Aventus Aretino in Windhelm. He's preformed the Black Sacrament and wants someone killed. After you kill the person, sleep and you'll wake up in an abandoned shack with a Dark Brotherhood member. At this point, you can choose to either help the Dark Brotherhood by doing what they ask of you in the abandoned shack, or you can try to eliminate them by killing the Dark Brotherhood member in the abandoned shack.

You get to kill the emperor, Titus Mede II, at the end of the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

She was supposed to be killed. I just borked the quest because I invaded her house and killed her man. I rolled back.
This happened to me also, but I was able to complete the quest just fine without killing her first. She isn't the Master Vampire, so you don't have to kill her to finish the quest. I did, however, kill her later after I had finished the quest when I tried to go into her house. She was there and just started attacking me (probably because I killed her man), so I killed her.

Last edited:
I rolled back and killed her properly. Now to take on the entire coterie... that was a pain in the butt.

Like I mentioned in the General Gaming Skyrim thread, I am thinking of going back to sword and shield. Dual wielding is flashy and has nice damage on occasion, but my brain doesn't process the need to press two keys to swing two weapons, so I'm sure I'm missing some potential. Plus I'm getting creamed in tough fights, I can't carry enough health potions. I need to start learning to craft my own...

Also, I picked up a Stray Dog on the way to Rorikstead. He became my loud mascot and I got attached to him, I'd even have him sit and wait while I went and got in tough fights. Lydia has died on me numerous times and I reloaded. But after I got attacked by a Dragon on Morthal, my dog is suddenly nowhere to be seen. He isn't waiting for me either in the spot I found him, nor in my home in Whiterun. I got no message about him. He's just gone, I didn't even find remains after the dragon fight. Does he wander off and come back? Is he somewhere else in Skyrim? Or is my boy dead and gone? :(

Just wondering, thanks.

What about the Dark Brotherhood?

LOVED the DB quest line. As with Oblivion I looked up how to start it while waiting for the game to load and it was the first quest(s) I started. While it and the awards you get for it are AWESOME, 1. Starting it wasn't as much fun as Oblivion and 2, when I do a replay of the game I'll start with The Thief's Guild quest line.

TG will net you what looks like a set of the best light armor in the game, only warning about it is that if your lockpick is under 100, wait to do the last quest until it is.

I've got a bit of time under by belt for this game(all DB quests done, all but the last TG quest and about half of the main quest done, and I've loved it. Sure it is pretty much a rehash of Oblivion but it is a good one.

I read about people here that will stay in one town until every thing that cane be done is done, I haven't done that. It's been all about free roaming for me and my habit of doing that has come in handy at times(3 times now I've cleared out a place I needed to head to for a quest and twice now I've found an item needed fora quest before it was needed).

My only bitch about it is how hard it is to read the dialog, with a 37inHDTV and using my 360 via composite cable it is nearly unreadable from 10 feet away. Haven't yet played with the display settings for the 360 to see if I can fix that though.

Is there an easier way to see you companions equipment other than talking to them about trading?

LOVED the DB quest line. As with Oblivion I looked up how to start it while waiting for the game to load and it was the first quest(s) I started. While it and the awards you get for it are AWESOME, 1. Starting it wasn't as much fun as Oblivion and 2, when I do a replay of the game I'll start with The Thief's Guild quest line.

TG will net you what looks like a set of the best light armor in the game, only warning about it is that if your lockpick is under 100, wait to do the last quest until it is.

Actually your spoiler is wrong this is better...

The NG light armor is far better than the TG and you it by finishing the TG and continuing on into the NG story line

fun with dragons
85B90CA8FC44C0B793F09962070237D92663D22E

Actually your spoiler is wrong this is better...

The NG light armor is far better than the TG and you it by finishing the TG and continuing on into the NG story line

And how do you get said armor? By doing the Thief's Guild story line. My spoiler was right I just didn't go into deep detail for the people that can't help but click the spoiler warning.

Finished the main quest line. That was really disappointing and the boss was stupidly easy. Had a harder time getting to him then killing him.

Started on the Stormcloak line and hit a wall after one of the quests.

Just finished taking Whiterun(again stupidly easy) and when went to report back to Windhelm, the guards started attacking me. Why I don't know but there is no option to surrender or pay any fines. WTF?

Will probably start the Companions line for now until I can figure it out.

Back