• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

skyrim controls

Only pirated versions of the game released by a certain Razor group has this problem with the mouse where you can't click certain items in the interface. The legit version does not seem to suffer from this problem.

....So yeah. Zing.

Wow, I guess they've been distributing their cracked version over Steam then. Oh wait...

The interface works with the mouse *most* of the time. There are random moments where it will not respond to the mouse at all. Closing out the menu and reopening it fixes that issue.
 
Simple, favorite something first. Then go into the favorite menu by using Q. Highlight over something in the list. Press a number. Boom.

If you have a spell hot keyed and press the key twice, it will dual wield the spell.

Thanks! Never even thought to do this here, though it now seems completely obvious.
 
Only pirated versions of the game released by a certain Razor group has this problem with the mouse where you can't click certain items in the interface. The legit version does not seem to suffer from this problem.

....So yeah. Zing.

Not true, but thanks for spreading misinformation. :rolleyes:

Actually I think there was a day-one patch that helped fix some of the mouse issues, but clearly they did not fix all of them. I think it's mainly because the interface is so controller-oriented in the first place.

http://thenexusnews.com/the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-patch-1-1-ready-for-release/851721/
 
As many have expressed, the UI is definitely far from optimal. Having been a PC gamer my whole life, I initially hated how the PC gaming community was obviously overlooked. However, after a few hours of playing, I really am having no issues with controlling dialogs with the keyboard. It's not perfect, and I'm not forgiving Bethesda for overlooking us. But, if anything, it's better than oblivion/fallout. It just has a new set of quirks that players have to get used to.

In any case, I have no doubt the modders out there will have a solution for the UI before almost anything else.

Out of all the AAA PC games that have come out over the past year or two, I must say, I'm most pleased with Skyrim. I think the only game's i've liked this much, previous, were Stalker COP and Borderlands.

Happy gaming :)
 
Good thing I have a wired 360 controller... but I think I will wait until it drops to $20-30 out of principle.
 
Last edited:
Is there a way to wield the sword in your left hand while holding the shield in the right, like I'm USED to from ES games??

Please tell me I'm just stupid for not being able to figure it out, and not that there's no way to do it. If not, it actually is a gamebreaker for me.
 
Not possible at the moment, wait until a mod comes out.
 
Not possible at the moment, wait until a mod comes out.

Unbelievable. One of the big draws of the TES series for me was being able to play how you wanted. This feels so counter intuitive, I dont think I'll ever get used to it.

Thanks for the answer.
 
The interface is borderline retarded on the PC. You push the left mouse button on an item and its assigned to your right hand, and vice versa. You assign a spell to the '1' key but which hand? At every step it feels backwards from what you'd want it to be. In fact, I think I cast the spell in my left hand by pressing the right button and vice-versa. It's just nuts.

There are no item-comparison popups. There's no way to sort on weight or value or time picked up. You can't see which items belong to which quests. You press ESC to get the menu where the quests are, but you press TAB to get to the menu for most of the other stuff (skills, items, etc). The zoom on the world map is just plain bad.

I'm not saying the game interface isn't consistent (like ESC always taking you to that menu you don't want, instead of cancelling out of whereever you are as you want it to), I'm saying it's consistently bad.
 
I agree, eloj. Oblivion felt pretty natural. This is just a complete clusterfuck. Terrible shame, because it ruins what seems to be an otherwise fantastic game. Hopefully the mods come out soon. Until they do this game is absolutely unplayable for me.
 
Is there a way to tell if a weapon is 2-Handed other than wielding it and seeing if you can't use a shield with it ? For example when you're browsing your inventory or a shopkeeper's inventory ?
 
Is there a way to tell if a weapon is 2-Handed other than wielding it and seeing if you can't use a shield with it ? For example when you're browsing your inventory or a shopkeeper's inventory ?

Agree with everyone's comments on the UI, crazy bad... but it works enough to not destroy the fun of the game.

If I remember correctly, I think two handers are labeled as Large Sword or Great Sword, something like that.

And like most others, I've clicked at the wrong time because intuitively you think, click to sell/buy... nope in this it equips every fricken thing...

Make sure to read the bottom of the screen when you are in inventory or vendor modes, the button options change and hover your mouse of an item and use the buttons... E will either eat, sell or buy, R does other things, etc...

R (Look All) has also dumped the game to my desktop at least twice now.

Even after all of this... I'm finding it very fun. I didn't play through Oblivion, just didn't keep me involved but probably was also busy with real life and other games at the time... this game so far is drawing me in, fun... but flawed... like most Hot Chicks! :p
 
At first, it felt weird that a lot of UI elements weren't movable and selectable with the mouse, but the more I played, the more I realized that the use of WASD in the menus is actually very fluid and intuitive for me.

No big issue here.
 
Just a quick FYI and I know this may be posted elsewhere here... but I'm going to test this later, my sound settings were higher, so hopefully this stops my crash to desktop issues I notice last night:

Gstaff
Sr. Community Manager

Group:Administrator
Joined:03-January 70
Location:DC

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

If you're crashing to the desktop, try this workaround
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound 2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties 3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

If you're having sound issues, such as static during NPC dialogue
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound 2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties 3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu
 
Just a quick FYI and I know this may be posted elsewhere here... but I'm going to test this later, my sound settings were higher, so hopefully this stops my crash to desktop issues I notice last night:

Yeah, I ended up having to do that when I first got the game because it crashed as soon as the main menu tried to load. Kind of fail on their part...hopefully it will be patched.

And actually, 48000 Hz works as well. Don't go any higher or it will crash.
 
god i love games that let you mod them. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88 this moder saved the day, this has basickly fixed the main problem i was having, key bindings, go check this out if your keybindings are not the way you want them. man i cant wait to see what mods there are for this game 2 months down the line
 
Back
Top