SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

So apparently EA has studied under the "higher the version number the more progress that must've been made" school from Mozilla.

So apparently EA has studied under the "higher the version number the more progress that must've been made" school from Mozilla.
I don't know how they do their versioning, but you're probably right.

To me, your middle-ware would count the number of changes done to code. Every 1000 changes would increment your software by .1

1.0.0 - Initial Release
1.0.5 - 500 changes
1.1.0 - 1000 changes
1.1.5 - 1,500 changes
1.1.525 - 1,525 changes
etc.

I suppose the probem with this is that 10,000 changes maybe arbitrary time to move to "version 2.0" since I think a name like that should mean a large leap or significant change.

Last edited:
Ive always heard that you increment the main digit only when major changes are made that significantly effect the experience, so like v1.0 to v2.0, the first decimal place changes for minor changes that fix flaws in the programming (v1.1 to v1.2) and the second decimal place/second decimal is changed when fixing security flaws or updating compatibility (v1.1.1 or v1.11).

Of course...nobody really seems to follow any kind of industry standard pattern...

It doesn't seem like any of the core simulation issues are really being addressed, or is that my imagination?

I was going to make a joke along the lines of "Where have I been? They already released SimCity 3???" At least they're not like Apple and charge you for service pack updates.

Ive always heard that you increment the main digit only when major changes are made that significantly effect the experience, so like v1.0 to v2.0, the first decimal place changes for minor changes that fix flaws in the programming (v1.1 to v1.2) and the second decimal place/second decimal is changed when fixing security flaws or updating compatibility (v1.1.1 or v1.11).

Of course...nobody really seems to follow any kind of industry standard pattern...
I've seen similar to what you're saying. Sometimes the second digit is a quarterly update and the last digit is the current security update. So Adobe 9.5.3 to 9.5.4 is a security fix, but Adobe 9.4.3 to 9.5.0 is a quarterly update.

Every company does it different, I just wish they would do it in a way so that we know what changed based on the version number.

well those are the 'standard' numbering conventions we could say, for internal devs that aren't releasing public builds on a regular basis. but other than that it's completely arbitrary. maybe not as extreme as the idiocy between google/mozilla, but most use it just as a marketing tool. like "hai its a new version were doing stuff !! u buy nao ok"

well those are the 'standard' numbering conventions we could say, for internal devs that aren't releasing public builds on a regular basis. but other than that it's completely arbitrary. maybe not as extreme as the idiocy between google/mozilla, but most use it just as a marketing tool. like "hai its a new version were doing stuff !! u buy nao ok"

In fairness to Google, they keep version numbering fairly irrelevant...and the only way you'd know what version you have is by actually looking, as they make as little a deal as possible out of it....unlike Mozilla who make massive press releases to all the tech sites about every version uptick.

I think browsers should be based on monthly, like Firefox 2013.5 2013.6 etc.

Anyways, back to SimCity.

Has anyone started a new city on 4.0? Can you still do the 100% residential stuff? Any thoughts on 4.0?

I think browsers should be based on monthly, like Firefox 2013.5 2013.6 etc.

Anyways, back to SimCity.

Has anyone started a new city on 4.0? Can you still do the 100% residential stuff? Any thoughts on 4.0?

I've been playing a lot man. I was the biggest hater when the game was first released but it's definitely getting better and tolerable.

New DLC. Amusement Park. $10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOt8Iqd_foE

They have a mini-train ...

tumblr_lw0yv3Uk4K1qbjo08o1_250.png

And yet your suckers keep gobbling up this horse shit they shovel your way.
In my defense, I haven't yet purchased the game. I just want to continue getting feedback and discussing it until an appropriate time. I may wait for some type of bundle that includes DLC.

In my defense, I haven't yet purchased the game. I just want to continue getting feedback and discussing it until an appropriate time. I may wait for some type of bundle that includes DLC.

Been planning on buying it when they bundle 1 through 324 of the DLC packs for $9.99.

well i have had the game about a week now and my second city JUST GOT SCREWED heavy tourism/ electronics city ang i loose my connection then all of my trucks disappear then, my coal power stations run out and everything fails with 20mil plus in the bank.
I can't get anything built or people to move into new building and my electronic and processor factories can't produce ANYTHING

well i have had the game about a week now and my second city JUST GOT SCREWED heavy tourism/ electronics city ang i loose my connection then all of my trucks disappear then, my coal power stations run out and everything fails with 20mil plus in the bank.
I can't get anything built or people to move into new building and my electronic and processor factories can't produce ANYTHING

And you are posting here so that everyone can make fun of you for buying it?

Game is broken, this isn't news.

What is news is that its been officially cracked. Torrents ahoy!

I forsee a huge surge in downloads from origin, and someone going apeshit over this, which might even provoke some sort of lockdown response when they figure out their convoluted drm scheme has been completely ownt. since essentially what this "drm free" version does is strip their drm, while emulating/impersonating origin and downloading all the main assets of the game directly from them to add insult.

not sure how they plan on further spinning this need for servers to do anything besides lock down the game, when they will be getting loads of anonymous downloads from people who fully intend to play it without them. it could potentially turn this whole simcity community into a ghost town, as even their legitimate users "upgrade" to the drm free version.

...since essentially what this "drm free" version does is strip their drm, while emulating/impersonating origin and downloading all the main assets of the game directly from them to add insult...

Awesome

Honestly at this point I have BF3, Medal of Honor (shit free game) and some Free to play games and Simcity.

I hate to advocate piracy, but at this point I say fuck my copy of Simcity 5. I just want to play with bigger city sizes.

Today, Maxis confirmed my suspicions. They don't have bigger cities due to performance issues and engine limitations. Larger cities are not going to come to SimCity and the team is no longer working on increasing city sizes.

Bigger Cities

City sizes have been a constant point of conversation among our players since we released the game. The game’s original design focused on the density of an intimate urban environment. It was about intercity connectivity and the challenge of managing a region of cities instead of one metropolis in isolation. However, we recognize that many players have expressed the desire to build up one big city rather than manage the interrelationship of multiple smaller cities.

We’ve put months of investigation into making larger city sizes, reworking the terrain maps, changing the routing algorithms of our agent-based system and altering the way that GlassBox processes the data in a larger space.

After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We’ve tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn’t achieve it within the confines of the engine. We’ve chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance.

They are working on an offline mode, though.

Exploration for Offline Mode is Happening

Right now we have a team specifically focused on exploring the possibility of an offline mode. I can’t make any promises on when we will have more information, but we know this is something that many of our players have been asking for. While the server connectivity issues are behind us, we would like to give our players the ability to play even if they choose not to connect. An offline mode would have the additional benefit of providing room to the modding community to experiment without interfering or breaking the multiplayer experience.

SOURCE

Today, Maxis confirmed my suspicions. They don't have bigger cities due to performance issues and engine limitations. Larger cities are not going to come to SimCity and the team is no longer working on increasing city sizes.

SOURCE

"Months of testing" and "investigation"...meaning they asked an unpaid teenage intern to up the tile size once last month and tried again this afternoon....and it didn't run well on his Pentium3 700mHz tower from 1998.

For better or worse I totally stopped playing after week one or two of SC5. Complete waste of money. It makes me so incredibly sad that such an amazing franchise has devolved like it has :(

This is just like the previous comments they've made about the game. "It Can't Be Done" means "We don't want to do it." Remember when the online connection was essential to the functioning of the game engine? ...yeah...

I'm glad I steered clear of this mess.

Sorry game should have been called SimTown then if you cannot have a truly city sized game EA/Maxis

I heard they are opening it up to the modding community too:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/simcity-now-supports-mods-no-news-on-offline-mode

Sad that it took them this long.

If by open up, you mean the mods and modders have to be approved by EA, has to be in the spirit of online and offline gameplay, cannot exceed the age restrictions of the game and can be redistributed, without credit or compensation, by EA at any time?

Modders dream right there.

If by open up, you mean the mods and modders have to be approved by EA, has to be in the spirit of online and offline gameplay, cannot exceed the age restrictions of the game and can be redistributed, without credit or compensation, by EA at any time?

Modders dream right there.

exactly right?

at least the city size thing might be taken care of.

exactly right?

at least the city size thing might be taken care of.

All EA has to say is that is not kosher with them and it does not happen. Don't expect any mods that make EA look bad. City size would be one of those I am guessing.

So is this game worth the purchase? Cant decide.

I bought it and enjoy it. The game isn't bad. It's not as good as Sim City 4, but it's not terrible. It's just one of those games that people love to hate. Just try and snag it for a decent price during an Amazon or GMG sale.

Online only and not being able to save freely was one of the biggest gripes, and that's finally been fixed. The only big gripe that still exists now is city size, and yeah, they are small, but the game isn't ruined by it. People just really like bitching about it.

Back