Silverstone FT03... matx

That's exactly what I thought I forgot to put on after reading the case's instruction manual...

What do you mean I would get a plastic BBQ if I don't have these on? Are they meant to keep the mobo's heat from the case or something?

This also sounds dumb too, but I really didn't know what to do with I/O panel's "hooks" that (I think) are supposed to be bent inward (or even cut off?) so that they won't interfere with whatever the cable is being connected... So I just left them as they came in the box. What was I supposed to do with them? They rub with cables like ethernet every time I connect them.

I mean you can and will short out your mobo. Use the stand-offs.

And those "hooks" should be bent inward but should contact the sides of your each cover for the I/O ports. It is to make sure everything is grounded so you don't fry any peripherals or the motherboard.

Crewdis

Oh alright, sounds like I already have to part my build then....fun stuff. I never thought about grounding effects of anything on a computer, but now you said it, it makes sense:p

And if I'm parting it all out, I might as well push all those hooks on I/O panel inward too...

Thanks for the advice:)

I wish there is a way to route cables (dvi, usb, keyboard, mouse) to the bottom of the case invisible from outside. Is there a way to do that?
I don't want cables coming out from top because its looks ugly and visible from top to buttom. I hope there is a way to make the cables coming out from the bottom of the case somehow. Pls advise. Thanks in advance :)

see that vent cover on top of the video card slots? now remove the bottommost 120mm fan (or keep it and somehow route it behind a shorter PSU) and go through the bottom. Of course, you will have cables running down the inside length of your case, and you will need long cables, and will also lose the bottom fan filter, however, the cables will be at the bottom, now :p

^ just start drilling some extra holes if you want to keep that top exhaust or try inverting the case to really minimize the wires hehe

the cables don't look too bad w/ the milk crate cover on top if u bundle them up and run them along a leg of your desk or something.

ah, I keep my rig behind a moving drawer cart, lol... :(

But it's perfect... utterly perfect for my desk/room :)

Now that you mentioned it, I think FT03 would have been better if the design was inverted (cables at the bottom, intake fan\PSU at the top). When using positive air pressure the whole heat rising thing doesn't really make any difference. Having the connectors on the bottom means no cables trailing down the back\sides which would look much neater (wouldn't even need the plastic grill to cover the connectors). The extra bit of clearance from the cast feet would allow slightly large plugs too (eg DVI to VGA adapter).

Only downside would be having to flip the case over to plug stuff in.

heeey.... someone wanted the pics, and I'm two days late :(

I'll get lots more pics on friday, when I put some finishing touches on this build. GPU is one GTX580, so I only needed one pair of PCIe power plugs from the PSU :)

Xigmatek Gaia interfere with the case fan (only pull fan for CPU cooler is possible but not push fan). Being just pull only, the Xigmatek Gaia is insufficient to cool down i7-2600K, I ended up using Cooler Master Vortex Plus. At room temperature of 24C, the CPU temperature is running great now, ranging from 28C to 61C. Concern about air flow for hard disk is unfounded, F3 is running at 38C and F4 at 32C.

Last edited:
heeey.... someone wanted the pics, and I'm two days late :(

I'll get lots more pics on friday, when I put some finishing touches on this build. GPU is one GTX580, so I only needed one pair of PCIe power plugs from the PSU :)

If you don't mind, did you manage to put the side panel back on this side? For some reason, mine doesn't go back on there anymore....It's either cables or HDD that's just bulging too much that plastic air vent popped out, and I still couldn't get the panel on.

I like how setups for this case turn out similar for most of us, whether it's back side or the other. I got WD Caviar Black 1TB x2 on RAID 0. And I assume you're doing the same with twice the storage room. And I got the same SSD, just 64GB. Managing the cables right underneath the SSD was such a PITA too with so many of the going in and out through that hole.

BTW, did you ever wanna get P67 board, rather than h67, especially with your setup? For me, now that I heard about some interesting PC games, I want to put a discrete video card just for that purpose, and possibly OCing the CPU. My MOBO is P7H67-M Pro.

Does anyone else hear a buzzing noise when using the top audio out port on a Asus-P8P67-M Pro board? It's not there when I use the port on the I/O panel.

Seems common on silverstone cases... Try this, disconnect the front panel USB headers from the MOBO (just for testing) and it should be gone. Seems the front audio panels on Silverstone cases have a common ground with the front usb ports.

Does anyone else hear a buzzing noise when using the top audio out port on a Asus-P8P67-M Pro board? It's not there when I use the port on the I/O panel.

I had that noise too when I used my headphones. I figured this is the noise people talk about when use on-board soundcard so I just went ahead and used optical connection directly hooked up to my receiver.

It would be great if there's a permanent solution because I don't feel like getting sound from my big-ass stereo all the time.

I had that noise too when I used my headphones. I figured this is the noise people talk about when use on-board soundcard so I just went ahead and used optical connection directly hooked up to my receiver.

It would be great if there's a permanent solution because I don't feel like getting sound from my big-ass stereo all the time.

There might be a mod but it would involve cutting a lead on the pcb or something, It sucks. I have the same issue on my SG05, and I asked silverstone if they share a common ground, someone (from sales) said they don't but the buzzing does go away if I disconnect the USB headers so I guess they either don't know about it or it's interference from non shielded cables.

I am still interested in seeing how you setup your watercooling on the FT03 (even if it is external).
It's not assembled anymore, however, it's a Phobya external 2x240 rad stand with one black ice 240 rad and a MCP655. Only a XSPC RASA CPU block, and I deemed it overkill for that purpose. I can take shots of the external rad setup (right next to the FT03), however, it's no longer cooling my PC. Otherwise, pipes are 3/8"ID&5/8"OD going in through where the top fan would of been.
If you don't mind, did you manage to put the side panel back on this side? For some reason, mine doesn't go back on there anymore....It's either cables or HDD that's just bulging too much that plastic air vent popped out, and I still couldn't get the panel on.

I like how setups for this case turn out similar for most of us, whether it's back side or the other. I got WD Caviar Black 1TB x2 on RAID 0. And I assume you're doing the same with twice the storage room. And I got the same SSD, just 64GB. Managing the cables right underneath the SSD was such a PITA too with so many of the going in and out through that hole.

BTW, did you ever wanna get P67 board, rather than h67, especially with your setup? For me, now that I heard about some interesting PC games, I want to put a discrete video card just for that purpose, and possibly OCing the CPU. My MOBO is P7H67-M Pro.
I put the side panel back on. This is my second FT03, lol.... anyhow, the key to this is just cable routing, nothing more :) As for mobos, I had a P8P67-M Pro, but I sold it off when I tried to go back to mITX. Failing that, I am now waiting for ASUS' ROG mATX LGA1155 board, which is rumoured at a mid May launch. As for the HDD, I just have them seperately, since I move between mobos a LOT.
Yep.
There might be a mod but it would involve cutting a lead on the pcb or something, It sucks. I have the same issue on my SG05, and I asked silverstone if they share a common ground, someone (from sales) said they don't but the buzzing does go away if I disconnect the USB headers so I guess they either don't know about it or it's interference from non shielded cables.
Yep to this, too. Whenever I used an USB flash drive on my SG06, there would be a buzzing noise that was otherwise not as noticeable when there was nothing using the USB ports.

Well if you crank the volume you might still hear it, but if you go as far as disconnecting the cable from the motherboard it's 100% clean

Minor irritation with this case:
Only properly works for PSUs with a horizontal kettle lead socket.

I'm using an ocz modxstream 600W which has the socket vertical, meaning the lead comes out facing downwards - this interferes with the clip for the plastic side vent, meaning either I have to leave the side panel off, or not screw in the power supply, and push it in away from the mounts.

I should not have to change my power supply to fit this case...

Why could they not just make the side panel one sheet with holes - really irritating and such a shame for an otherwise decent case.

Anyway, its only until making the shift to itx.

Minor irritation with this case:
Only properly works for PSUs with a horizontal kettle lead socket.

I'm using an ocz modxstream 600W which has the socket vertical, meaning the lead comes out facing downwards - this interferes with the clip for the plastic side vent, meaning either I have to leave the side panel off, or not screw in the power supply, and push it in away from the mounts.

I should not have to change my power supply to fit this case...

Why could they not just make the side panel one sheet with holes - really irritating and such a shame for an otherwise decent case.

Anyway, its only until making the shift to itx.

Would buying a new plug or modding the case suffice for a new system builder?

^Well I can't seem to find any right angle kettle lead adapters, so the only real options are not screwing the psu in and pusing it back into the case; buying a new psu (...); or cutting the side panel (removing the vent and maybe doing an external window mod to cover it).

It's not just the plastic clip at the bottom of the vent that cannot fit, but the aluminium lip on the bottom of the panel cutout (to support the vent) is also pushing into the cable.

Hi guys, I just installed everything inside the case. After a an hour or so of gaming (DOW II) there are the temperatures of my computer:

prVF4.jpg

I'm extremely upset about my HDD temperatures: the case just can't dissipate them good enough. I'll try without one of my HDD's but still I shouldn't have such problems.

Don't want to imagine what kind of temperatures will people with higher-end systems run into.

I'm not happy, deffinitely not.

Dude, your HDD temps are fine, LOL! If you're so worried about temps, get an SSD, but, really, those are good temps, REALLY!

I'd be more worried about your GTX 480's temp. That 90C peak is pretty high. Perhaps a move to water cooling would suffice?

However, GTX 480s are known for their high temps, more so than any high-end card currently on the market. That's why I have the three of mine underwater. :D

Dude, your HDD temps are fine, LOL! If you're so worried about temps, get an SSD, but, really, those are good temps, REALLY!

I'd be more worried about your GTX 480's temp. That 90C peak is pretty high. Perhaps a move to water cooling would suffice?

However, GTX 480s are known for their high temps, more so than any high-end card currently on the market. That's why I have the three of mine underwater. :D

50ºC on an HDD is NOT an ok temperature by any means. The hotter they run the more problems they will run into. Also, my GTX480 is not a reference design, is a Gigabyte GTX480 SOC with 3-fan cooling system.

That VGA was kept under 85ºC at 80% fan speed TOPS, as its now its unacceptable because in a few months It will be summer and ambient temps will run easily 5-9ºC, and thus, VGA card will be even higher.

Going under water is deffinitely not an option whatsoever, I think I'll have to return this case because as its im not satisfied at all. Also, HDD temperature takes a ton of time to get lower because they are passively cooled.

And yes, I do have an SSD.

50C is TOTALLY an acceptable temp on an HDD.

Air cooling a GTX 480 without blasting the fan(s) at or near 100% is just not going to be effective (I know, that's why I went with water cooling).

If water cooling is not an option for you, than perhaps water cooling would be an option for you.

Gratz on the SSD, I'd replace the HDD ASAP.

Where is your HDD mounted? I have my 600GB VelociRaptor mounted in the bottom-most hard drive mounting location and it never gets above 45C.

Hi guys,

Lots of pages on this thread so it's a bit of a mission to go through, I'm having one of those "does it fit" moments. I'm looking to replace my TJ07 with one of these but obviously there is a wee bit of a size difference.

From what I gather it should fit with about an inch on the GPU and the H70 will fit but might not perform that well

So is that right and does anyone know of any other lawful impediment :)D ) that will stop me fitting the following inside the FT03

Intel i7-2600K
Asus P8P67-M Motherboard
Corsair H70
Asus Radeon HD6990
4*2GB Memory
Corsair H70
240GB Vertex 3 SSD
600GB Intel SSD

I can see that from the Mobo I won't get a soundcard in there but most of the time I use a B&W Zeppelin Mini as speakers or a USB headset so no dramas tbh.

Cheers,

Iratus

Hi guys,

Lots of pages on this thread so it's a bit of a mission to go through, I'm having one of those "does it fit" moments. I'm looking to replace my TJ07 with one of these but obviously there is a wee bit of a size difference.

From what I gather it should fit with about an inch on the GPU and the H70 will fit but might not perform that well

So is that right and does anyone know of any other lawful impediment :)D ) that will stop me fitting the following inside the FT03

Intel i7-2600K
Asus P8P67-M Motherboard
Corsair H70
Asus Radeon HD6990
4*2GB Memory
Corsair H70
240GB Vertex 3 SSD
600GB Intel SSD

I can see that from the Mobo I won't get a soundcard in there but most of the time I use a B&W Zeppelin Mini as speakers or a USB headset so no dramas tbh.

Cheers,

Iratus

System looks great!

You could use an external sound card.

hi guys will a prolimatech megahalems fit on a SB board in the FT03? photos if possible please

240GB Vertex 3 SSD
600GB Intel SSD
It only comes with mount for 1 ssd, but otherwise it looks good. Can imagine the 6990 getting quite hot, perhaps choose a CPU cooler that allows you to fit the gpu fan exhaust bracket. Don't know which would fit.

Yeah I figured I'd put one of the drives in a drive converter to use the 3.5" mount, I'm not going to have a spinning disk as just between my NAS and hte fact I can now get all my games and apps onto an SSD I just don't need it.

The 6990 Heat is a good point, it's one of my concerns for sure.

perhaps choose a CPU cooler that allows you to fit the gpu fan exhaust bracket. Don't know which would fit.

This. The problem is that you won't be able to put any fan on the exhaust bracket unless the heatsink clears on the exhaust fan (IE doesn't get out of it) which means that you will be quite limited; I don't think you will fit any tower-cooler with 120mm fans, IMO.

hi guys will a prolimatech megahalems fit on a SB board in the FT03? photos if possible please

Here you go, from my build:

05062011451.jpg

05062011478.jpg

You won't be able to fit a push-fan on the megahalems though, not if you use normal-sized fans on both the intake and heatsking...and I don't think you could do it even with slim-fans, unless you used slim on both the intake and heatsink.

PS: can't tell you guys what kind of pita was it for me to put silentblocks on the Nidec GT's, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. Almost throw'em down the window, and you better plan ahead before mounting or you may have to start it once and again.

EDIT: add a few more photos:

05062011473.jpg

05062011457.jpg

SATA clearance. I still don't understand how Silverstone did that part so wrong. Seriously, why didn't they add a big hole instead of two small ones? As its you get hell to place the SATAs correctly, and you won't be able to used angled connectors unless you place them on the first-third SATA (and forget about putting everything else on the other ones).

Also, there is only one place to place the power cord...because holes are, again, too small.

The mess I have with 3 drives:

05062011465.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about a 6990 as well and God that's sexy. Only to decide... mATX (FT03) or ITX (SG07).... Decisions decisions...

I tried. To get it in, you have to remove the bottom bracket, first, then put in the HD6990. After that, the bottom fan bracket can go back in. Otherwise, I only tested it for one day in the dead of the night with the side panel off (it was freezing...).

I tried. To get it in, you have to remove the bottom bracket, first, then put in the HD6990. After that, the bottom fan bracket can go back in. Otherwise, I only tested it for one day in the dead of the night with the side panel off (it was freezing...).

Looks like you could still Tri-Fire in this case.... 6990+6970. Wowza.

that was my initial intention, however, I figured I would never need that kind of GPU power until the HD7000 series came out, anyhow :p

prava

I totally agree with you on SATA cable holes. At least your SATA ports are facing down toward the bottom of the case (which mobo is that btw? I see it's an ASUS. Mine is H67M-Pro). Mine are facing toward the side panel, plus 6 ports are oriented in such a way that if I used 90-degree angle latch, it would interfere with other ports right next to it.

I was so afraid that I would rip the ports off of the board when I had to bend the cables so hard to let through those holes. The mobo actually did flex a bit when I did this too.

Great to know also that you can fit a Megahelm. I was asking if you could fit Thermaltake Frio in this case, but if Mega does, and I don't see reason why Frio won't. But for now I make do with room-saving H60.

On the cable holes it's not the first time Silverstone messed up. The TJ07 is a pain too, the cutouts in the bottom section don't line up properly for the power supply and the hard disk mounts.

Back