Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

So that is 3x30" and 4x22" 1080p? DO WANT....

What I would really like is 4 or 6 24" 4k monitors. The day those cost $500 or less I will pick up at least 4.

24" at 4K starts running into the laws of diminishing returns - at 183 PPI you are hard-pressed to view individual pixels. A major advantage would be that anti-aliasing becomes less of an issue, 2x would be enough and for good gaming cards that level of AA has no performance hit at all.

Consider this: I have 20 megapixels to push, 12 in games. You are proposing pushing 32 to 48 megapixels. That's a lot of horsepower and a ton of VRAM. I game on the equivalent of 1.5 4K monitors and I use tri-Crossfire cards to do it. You want 4 to 6 4K monitors?

A better choice than 24" 4K is 40" 4K. 40" 4K is 108PPI, the same as 27" 1440p monitors now. That way you could have a PLP with 2x27" 1440p portrait and a single 40" 4K in the middle. No need for Eyefinity or even the upper row of monitors. As a bonus you are gaming on 8 megapixels instead of 12 so it's a lighter load on the VRAM.

I am personally avoiding 4K for now as the GPU hit to drive one is high. I'm thinking of building 3x34" 3440x1440p on the lower row and 4x27" 2560x1440p on the upper row, but I'd have to sacrifice at least 4 PCI-E lanes for an extra video card to do it (due to the limitations of the Intel 4000 onboard GPU).

The 7-monitor rig pictured is the largest practical balanced layout that can be achieved with current-generation AMD cards combined with the Intel 4000. Eventually *SOMEONE* will build a card with more than 1 DisplayPort and then it gets interesting (current R9 290/290x are limited to 4 monitors larger than 1080p). I'm holding out for 20nm cards, hopefully they'll have 2 or more DP - my 6950 DCUII has 4, some cards have had as many as 6 so it can't be that hard to do.

D3.jpg

C.jpg

LFS.jpg

PANO_20140813_173256.jpg

IMG_20140813_171419.jpg

Moved into a new apt recently and don't quite have everything for my battlestation completely set up, but its nice and clean. Will post new pics once everything is completely set up to my liking.

23i9hzl.jpg

hey peoples. New setup now that I'm living in another country. So a lot of this stiff is a WIP and rather new.
setup2.jpg

setup1.jpg

Eventually *SOMEONE* will build a card with more than 1 DisplayPort and then it gets interesting (current R9 290/290x are limited to 4 monitors larger than 1080p). I'm holding out for 20nm cards, hopefully they'll have 2 or more DP - my 6950 DCUII has 4, some cards have had as many as 6 so it can't be that hard to do.

R9 295x2 = 4 mini DP + 1 DVI

I said "current generation" ie. 290/290x - the 7870 is older and roughly the same power as my HD6950 (both my HD6950 and HD6990 have 4xDP) but with a lot less heat and noise. It's the reason I haven't upgraded either my monitors or my GPUs, I'd be stuck at least 1 generation behind *NOW* and with 20nm parts out in probably 6 months.

It's a Changhong 50" that I got for super cheap from newegg on ebay (~$360).
It does not get used much since I got my LG 34um95, only use it for tv show which is why I have it to display in 720p. For 21:9 movies the LG is a lot better !

It's in good condition, the thick fabric that holds in the foam hasn't ripped. It's only the top layer of fabric that's in trouble, which is for decoration.

It's not exactly decorating the way it should. Can you cut it off?

lol, us neat freaks are freaking out about that. Sounds like you don't really care too much. To each his own, and thanks for sharing! Great setup overall.

It's not exactly decorating the way it should. Can you cut it off?

lol, us neat freaks are freaking out about that. Sounds like you don't really care too much. To each his own, and thanks for sharing! Great setup overall.

I can pull it off, yes. Maybe I should. ;)

the surface utilizes the 3 monitors. The ESXI servers were more so for learning and plex usage. They are located in another room.

I love my two 24" HPs, but I'd like to surround it with a pair of 20" in portrait orientation. How to convice the wife?

Do what I do --

Tell her: "For proper convincing, see last year's W-2 and check whose name is next to the income."

Gets her every time - unless your wife makes more than you. Then you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis (screwed)

Do what I do --

Tell her: "For proper convincing, see last year's W-2 and check whose name is next to the income."

Gets her every time - unless your wife makes more than you. Then you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis (screwed)

I like this guy. I think it's sad that most men are afraid to buy anything without their wife's permission.

(I don't say permission is the same as communicating.)

Back