Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

i sit with the chair up higher. i just lowered it to roll under the desk cause the damn cats like to sleep in it. it feels fine though

Have you noticed any drawbacks to running those in Portrait mode?

i haven't got a a chance to test it fully yet to figure out any drawbacks, just finished setting them up. drawbacks will depend on what you will be using these monitors primarily for.

Last edited:
i haven't got a a chance to test it fully yet to figure out any drawbacks, just finished setting them up. drawbacks will depend on what you will be using these monitors primarily for.

3uu9Yl.jpg

Woah. You need a bigger desk. How are you supposed to move your mouse?

Here's an ad-hoc setup I made this evening. I was watching 3 live streams, so I brought in extra monitor/laptop/netbook to help out hehe. Sorry for low quality shot.

imageljwl.jpg

Since I finally took pictures, I figured I'd delurk and post mine:
officefront.jpg

Kicking it old school: Dell 2005fpw x 2405fpw x 2005fpw. Each monitor goes to a different system, center screen alternates between work and gaming, left screen is for media/server, and right screen is for other shenanigans while working/gaming.
I also have a couple more 2005fpw's hanging around, one in the bedroom as a "TV" and the other in my school office for the laptop to hook into. Bought everything back when I had a real job but now I'm a sad grad student so here's hoping it lasts...

Hound - Love the desk and layout man goes to show you don't the newest and the best for a decent setup!

Rhys

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
My lady friend was the plant person when we moved in together, but I've really been getting into it. I even have my own shelf of experimental cactus bits, and we've started growing some veggies in containers outside. I've retaliated by getting her hooked on video games and a constant stream of media. I've even caught her ogling some of the set ups on these kinds of threads, so we'll have to see what happens when we both have real jobs and a house...
The wall of light and green here makes working from home feel a lot nicer, maybe it's all the O2...but it keeps me in the office for most of the day, which is good. Sure beats the basements I worked in when I was in college.

Got bored with the standard PLP setup and got my hands on another 30" for a really good price, this is how it ended up looking!

VvkQq.jpg

Dell 3007wfp-hc on the left on an Ergotron MX mount, center Dell U3011 on a monoprice mount.

Got bored with the standard PLP setup and got my hands on another 30" for a really good price, this is how it ended up looking!

Dell 3007wfp-hc on the left on an Ergotron MX mount, center Dell U3011 on a monoprice mount.

can you pls. post couple of pics of the diff mounts from the back. i am thinking of getting one for my 3008wfp

I've been a multimonitor fan for over a decade now, ever since Microsoft first made it easy to do so in Windows 98 (I have used Matrox dual-head video cards in NT4 but only as an experiment, they act similarly to Eyefinity in desktop mode). I have posted several of my setups on this forum, with the ongoing design of 6 monitors, the last layout being this post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037516201&postcount=18861

IMG_0062 by rtangwai, on Flickr

The biggest problem with this layout is the 20-30-20 PLP I was using in the lower row. Neither AMD nor nVidia supports Eyefinity/nVSurround in PLP so it was irksome that I was limited in gaming to a single monitor comprising only 31% of my total desktop. For a while I had a set of monitors dedicated to gaming in a 5x1 portrait 1920x1200 Eyefinity layout:

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20121013005712 by rtangwai, on Flickr

While quite immersive, I found the layout less than perfect because there were so many bezels. I've been playing mostly SWTOR and Dragon Age II, if I was playing racing or flight sims I suspect I would complain somewhat less. Apart from the bezels, the portrait layouts are rather annoying in productivity applications and especially video. Since I still had the other six monitors I found myself literally moving my keyboard and mouse over to the layout I was using at that particular moment which seemed a big waste to me. Much to my surprise I finally had answer to a question I have asked myself for nearly 20 years -"How many monitors is *TOO* many?". The answer turned out to be 11.

After much internal debate I decided to compromise:

IMG_0305_edited by rtangwai, on Flickr

This is a test layout using 3x30" 1600p monitors on the lower row and 4x20" 1680x1050 monitors on the upper row. The *IDEAL* layout uses 22" 1080p on the upper row, but I just got laid off so I had to use what I had on hand. When I get another job I will be replacing the desk with a Galant corner desk and build a custom monitor stand so I can mount all 7 monitors independently as I went thru hell getting the current layout working - I use 3 different makes of stands (Atdec, Ergotron, and a Moview quad-stand) so getting them to work together was a challenge.

The best thing about this layout is that I can use Eyefinity on the lower monitors without having to switch desks when I go from applications to gaming. 12 of the 19 megapixels I have is therefore devoted to gaming, or 63.5% which is a heck of a lot better than 31%. The biggest flaw is that my desktop is now nearly 40% wider which means that my peripheral vision is being exercised quite a bit more, especially in games with sidebars like SWTOR. I have compensated a bit by moving the monitors back a bit (the layout changes allowed me to do that) but now I have a hard time reading text on the screen as they appear rather small.

I'm sure it's a hassle, but your best setup might be the three 30" in portrait mode alond the bottom row, and 3 20" in landscape above them. The 16:10 landscape monitors are about an inch wider in landscape than the 30" are in portrait, but depending on the bezels, it could line up well. This, at least, would relieve the stress on your peripheral vision.

I'm sure it's a hassle, but your best setup might be the three 30" in portrait mode alond the bottom row, and 3 20" in landscape above them. The 16:10 landscape monitors are about an inch wider in landscape than the 30" are in portrait, but depending on the bezels, it could line up well. This, at least, would relieve the stress on your peripheral vision.

Interesting idea, but I would absolutely have to build custom monitor stands as there does not exist a stand to hold monitors in that configuration - such a layout is taller than any dual vertical monitor stand that I have been able to find. Besides, my last adventure has turned me off to portrait monitors.

I like that mousepad, but I prefer the wrist gel rest from the original exact mat.

In fact a better combo is that same wrist rest from the exact mat paired with a Razer Destructor.

Just picked up a Dell U3011, so now my setup is complete. Using a Dell 2007FP on each side rotated in portrait for a total resolution of 4,960 x 1,600. Also using a LED strip on the back of the 30in (powered by a USB connection) to give off some ambient lighting for late night gaming sessions with the light off in the home office. Currently have a piece of blue film over the LEDs to give off a blue glow.

7898425406_0ffe247817_b.jpg

To check out the build log to the PC on the right, hit up the following link.
Project Bright Panel: 800D, Liquid Cooled, Illuminated Mid Panel

Amazing setup. Always think the 20" + 30" + 20" setup, is hands down the best. Can you game across all three monitors ? Or only on the 30" ? I know AMD or nVidia have never made drivers for that setup yet, how can you game across all three ?

I've just sold my PLP getting a 27" 120hz monitor instead, PLP was sweet but 60hz can blow me.

After much internal debate I decided to compromise:

IMG_0305_edited by rtangwai, on Flickr

This is a test layout using 3x30" 1600p monitors on the lower row and 4x20" 1680x1050 monitors on the upper row. The *IDEAL* layout uses 22" 1080p on the upper row, but I just got laid off so I had to use what I had on hand. When I get another job I will be replacing the desk with a Galant corner desk and build a custom monitor stand so I can mount all 7 monitors independently as I went thru hell getting the current layout working - I use 3 different makes of stands (Atdec, Ergotron, and a Moview quad-stand) so getting them to work together was a challenge.

The best thing about this layout is that I can use Eyefinity on the lower monitors without having to switch desks when I go from applications to gaming. 12 of the 19 megapixels I have is therefore devoted to gaming, or 63.5% which is a heck of a lot better than 31%. The biggest flaw is that my desktop is now nearly 40% wider which means that my peripheral vision is being exercised quite a bit more, especially in games with sidebars like SWTOR. I have compensated a bit by moving the monitors back a bit (the layout changes allowed me to do that) but now I have a hard time reading text on the screen as they appear rather small.

Very interesting. I also use 3x30 and was considering a 2nd row. Kind of like the idea of 4x22. Out of curiosity why did you build your setup? For work or play?

I was considering it but the ppi is too different and one thing that bugged me about PLP is I have to have my speakers way too far apart. Back to single monitor with speakers either side and it sounds awesome again.

Two very good speakers ;) U3011 my friend is buying it at the end of the month then I'll pick up the Asus VG278HE though I HATE the glossy bezel and ugly stand, probs gonna debezel it and sling the stand in the bin.

Very interesting. I also use 3x30 and was considering a 2nd row. Kind of like the idea of 4x22. Out of curiosity why did you build your setup? For work or play?

Both - I (used to) make automated installers for software at work which I tested on virtual machines. I have always had an interest in multiple monitors but it is only this year that I went seriously into Eyefinity, mostly because until now I didn't have the GPU power to drive a decent Eyefinity rig.

I was considering it but the ppi is too different and one thing that bugged me about PLP is I have to have my speakers way too far apart. Back to single monitor with speakers either side and it sounds awesome again.

Why don't you get 3x27", while not PLP at least you won't lose desktop real estate, in fact you'll gain about 3 megapixels as well as be Eyefinity/nVSurround compatible.

Back