Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Hey, McKie, what difference is there between the old Asus TNs and the new Dell IPS monitors?

Is it really noticeable in terms of color and contrast? Noticeable enough, let's say, to warrant an upgrade if gaming is my priority? I'm trying to decide between the dell P2210 and the dell 2209wa. Any thoughts man? And noticeable enough to warrant $300 more if I'm simpy a college student who would like an eyefinity setup on a budget?

Looks great btw, seems like a nice upgrade.

If you're on a budget I wouldn't go for the 2209WAs because they lack a native displayport connection, which means you'd need to buy a $100 active adapter for Eyefinity. I've heard that VGA adapter might work but haven't played around with it myself.

I think the new Dell 23" IPS are good monitors to get if you can get a discount on them. They also have native displayport and reportedly use the same panel as the more expensive NEC EA231wmi.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9270

The P2210 has native displayport but I believe it uses TN technology.

12870_1298077849314_1151410511_30898345_2009660_n.jpg

The new setup: 24" widescreen monitor next to 19" widescreen flipped vertially(great for news sites) and the Macbook tied into the 24" as well(for 1080p Quicktime trailers and serious business work of course). Using Synergy to share the mouse from the PC to the Mac.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs061.snc3/12870_1298077849314_1151410511_30898345_2009660_n.jpg

The new setup: 24" widescreen monitor next to 19" widescreen flipped vertially(great for news sites) and the Macbook tied into the 24" as well(for 1080p Quicktime trailers and serious business work of course). Using Synergy to share the mouse from the PC to the Mac.

Nice setup! And welcome to the forum.:D

12870_129807849314_1151410511_30898345_2009660_n.jpg

I see your systematic theology studies are.... holding up strong....

Generally if you live on campus all your furniture is provided so that statement is rather fail to begin with.
And i never see myself spending obscene amounts of money on a desk, all you need is a flat surface that holds all your stuff. The computer is all that matters.

My comment was more directed at the high school kids living at home and it wasn't intended to be an insult in the least. Also, just by browsing through the 800+ pages on the forum I think you can tell who I am talking about vs the college kids.

As for that I cant say much, I currently have a 4 monitor setup (2 25" HP 2509m, 1 22" HP 2207w, hooked to a 17" Sager laptop, HD DVR, and 360 and sitting on a cheap Sauder desk and a $20 3 ft tall book case. (i will be posting pics once I get my tv hooked up). So for every $20 of equipment I have $1 in furniture. I love the fact that all the emphasis is placed on the equipment however I do feel you should spend the coin to get something that has enough space to handle everything you have.

24", 26", 24" eyefinity for 5760x1200.
dell mini9 +upgrades, oldish mac mini, x360, unibody c2d mb pro w/ win7 bootcamp'd. oh and the old a64 3200+ shuttle pc. Zero wire management, I know, but not a bad setup job considering I'm a quadriplegic- not hopping on the floor to clean that spaghetti up anytime soon ;)
More annotated here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayoh/4628959012/in/photostream/

Did you paint the keys black on that apple keyboard? I wish they sold them with black keys. I wish they sold a split version even more.

No, I took a look around, but it doesn't seem to be on their website. I'm 100% sure I've seen it there, and at staples as well, both in the last few months when I was looking for an office bookshelf. I got an almost 100% identical one for my wife from there.

Hi, been looking at this thread for ages and it has inspired me to get a triple monitor setup!

Can't describe how awesome it is to play games on this! Took me a while to get the right (working) adapter for the displayport.

Details:
BenQ G2420HDBL 24" 1080p LED monitor
ATI 5870, 10.5 driver
4Ghz i7 920
12GB RAM
1 120GB SSD
3 1TB HD

Hi, been looking at this thread for ages and it has inspired me to get a triple monitor setup!

Can't describe how awesome it is to play games on this! Took me a while to get the right (working) adapter for the displayport.

Details:
ATI 5870, 10.5 driver
4Ghz i7 920
12GB RAM
1 120GB SSD
3 1TB HD

It looks awesome!:D Welcome to the forum. Are those Monoprice mounts? If so, how do you like them? Any issues?

Did you paint the keys black on that apple keyboard? I wish they sold them with black keys. I wish they sold a split version even more.

Nope, it's just an iSkin: http://www.iskin.com/store/I2shop_kbrd_wireless.tpl - they don't seem to offer the black key model anymore. Here's a no-name match tho: http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Unib...TF8&s=electronics&qid=1275762387&sr=8-1-spell

One nit-picky with the iSkin one is the material is a tiny bit thick; to the point that you kind of have to hammer through the cover to type well. Not a problem if you're heavy handed... but it was enough of an annoyance for me to find one that's actually a tiny bit thinner: http://www.amazon.com/moshi-ClearGu...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275762574&sr=1-2 - no cool colors, but it makes a world of difference.

- @chong67 - Was that to me? I don't get what you're asking...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks awesome!:D Welcome to the forum. Are those Monoprice mounts? If so, how do you like them? Any issues?

Did you see the bend in those mounts? The pics look like a fresh build. I wonder how long those mounts will hold without permanently warping?

Yeah they are monoprice mounts. Hopefully they will last a long time, all mounts have a bit of bend in them!

The mounts themselves are really good, the only thing I had to do was tape the top parts of the monitors together so that they align nicely.

The desktop is about 1 year old (with a new GPU), but the monitors are brand new.

Sorry to quote the images but...where did you get that desk and chair? Thanks! :D

It's a model pretty commonly found at Office Depot.

Thanks Oldie -- Though I couldn't find it, do you happen to have a link?

No, I took a look around, but it doesn't seem to be on their website. I'm 100% sure I've seen it there, and at staples as well, both in the last few months when I was looking for an office bookshelf. I got an almost 100% identical one for my wife from there.

Another place that has 'em is BJ's Wholesale Club. I used to go to their Orlando location frequently, and that model was there all the time. Can't find that model online on BJ's website though ...

mooyaart,

what case is that ?
The case is the Antec P183, a very good case. It might not be as flashy as some cases but still looks good and it incredibly quiet with it's sound insulation. It also has quite good thermal characteristics and very good wire management.

Here is a photo of the inside of mine with the side panels removed:

Sorry to quote the images but...where did you get that desk and chair? Thanks! :D

Got the desk at a local furniture store (http://www.oldcanneryfurniture.com/). It is made by Aspen Home Furniture. I believe the model was the "Nantucket". It is very well made with Ash hardwood and Veneer construction. I have seen it other places online for around $1900 shipped, I paid $1198 + tax and delivery. The extra filing cabinet was $300.

The chair was from my local Costco, I cannot remember the model off the top of my head. I looked long and hard to find a chair that was good looking, comfortable and had adjustable arms that were not very deep so I had more freedom to scoot my chair in if I wanted.

Here's my new setup. Just bought 2 more NEC 20WMGX2's from the refurb sale to add to my original one I bought 4 years ago. The left screen is dormant right now until I get the open box 5850 I just bought from newegg. They all sit atop my brand new $41 desk and hutch (hutch is waiting to be assembled) that I just got at officedepot today.

Desk.JPG

As for the whole cheap desk, marriage thing. Up until this desk, all I ever had were cheap desks (technically this is my cheapest desk yet). I would rather put my money towards my computers or other toys then a desk. The wife doesn't care either, as I have my own computer room/office. She really doesn't care what goes on in the room or what it looks like, as long as she's able to close the door when we have company. I am afraid she may try to steal this desk when she gets back from her trip though.

Details:
ATI 5870, 10.5 driver
4Ghz i7 920
12GB RAM
1 120GB SSD
3 1TB HD

is that a subwoofer??? cause i have the same 2 logitech usb speakers and they dont' come with a sub? ??

Got bored so I figured I might as well post my setup, sorry I like my room dark :cool:
Panasonic TC-L37S1
Desk is a cannibalized portion from my mother's massive and absurdly expensive custom office setup. Years later she decided she wanted more room in her office and so she forced it onto me lol...I miss my $65 Jerker so much :(

Last edited:
IT'S A SAMSUNG LA40B650 FULL HD TV I USE IT AS A COMPUTER MONITER AND IT'S WONDERFUL IN GAME- FILM AND READING TEXT

I SET 2M AWAY FROM IT ;)

when you're typing on it, can you TELL THAT YOU ARE YELLING AT EVERYONE!!! OR IS THIS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN READ THE TEXT???

nice. how is the base on those? might get those for my laptop (i already know the speakers are an upgrade over the integrated ones on my laptop).would be a nice travel kit along with my beyers

Back