Show off your Heatsink thread

Probably because the motherboard is reversed in the V series cases and the heat pipe design is to cool based on standard ATX motherboard positioning and air flow.

Ryuji: That's an impressive decrease. I wanted to add that you can still no matter how well done see very small inclusions in the surface such as curves where light should be bending and is on yours isn't on that guy's. I still just think that it doesn't look right, things just look too clear for me to believe it unless I see the object creating the reflection it's all just smoke and mirrors to me.

Note how Ryuji's processor's reflection is about the same focus as the silicon around it. When you focus on a reflection you focus on the object in which it is being reflected upon because that is where the focal length between the object->reflective surface->lens balances. You aren't focusing on the distant image, you are focusing on the light being reflected in the object. Remember we see light by means of what is reflected back to us. If you take college photography they teach you that stuff a bit more clearly.

starfury6 said:
Probably because the motherboard is reversed in the V series cases and the heat pipe design is to cool based on standard ATX motherboard positioning and air flow.

I agree. Wouldn't the convention be that the liquid in the heat pipe is supposed to rise when it gets hot, so mounting BTX style with that board should adversely affect your temps. I hope that northbridge cooler helps.

I thought the Premium had a solid heat pipe design? Not sure on that one, but obviously the air flow is totally alien compared to what it was designed for.

I have my eye on a v2000Plus myself. Damned expensive though.

starfury6 said:
I thought the Premium had a solid heat pipe design? Not sure on that one, but obviously the air flow is totally alien compared to what it was designed for.

I have my eye on a v2000Plus myself. Damned expensive though.

Yeah I also really like that case, I love my g/f's PC65B, it's so nice to work on.

I thought so too but I'd read some publications online that said it was liquid filled? In fact I had no idea that some heat pipes contained liquid? Can anyone add validity to this or comment on the technology behind heat pipes?

I'd check the Asus site for info on their AI CoolPipe but as of right now their site is borked and I have class.

Bassist-X said:
I'd like to call total utter photoshopery bs on this post. Yeah right man! It's so clearly photoshopped and I think the best example is that cheesy fake looking camera picture, that isn't a natural position for that at all. I think the really most incriminating evidence is why would a lapped processor (who does that anyway?) be copper colored when the casing on them isn't copper at all? Also note how blurry the picture is around the edges of the silicon in that picture and then how magically clear the cheeseball picture of that camera superimposed into it is. Poor attempt at trying to be [H]ard, don't be that guy, don't be that guy that rices that computer.
You obviously know nothing about photography. The camera focused on the image of the camera in the reflection not on the surface of the chip itself. At such close ranges, the chip is going to be well outside the Depth of Field. Go read a book.

Secondly..... Only the very very [H]ard will go to the length of lapping a CPU, but it HAS BEEN DONE, and it makes a huge difference in heat transfer. basically you'll have awesome temps, or you'll F it up so bad that no amount of AS5 is going to save you.

vmerc said:
Only the very very [H]ard will go to the length of lapping a CPU, but it HAS BEEN DONE, and it makes a huge difference in heat transfer. basically you'll have awesome temps, or you'll F it up so bad that no amount of AS5 is going to save you.
QFT, not to mention the warenty is gone with no doubt

starfury6 said:

QFT. I popped it on their since the board was inverted and caused some heating issues with the passive cooling. BTW its that heat pipe is not solid. If you take a closer look the passive heat sink is still on there. I just slapped the cooler master right on top, which helped quit a bit.

Whatever, sorry about the mess guys I don't know much about lapping I guess that's why I'm a bassist and not a super cool computer modder. Also I know my comment regarding the photographic aspect was also innacurate but like I said before I had to go to class and didn't have the time to go back to correct it. I still think it's a stupid risk to take doing it to your CPU though.

Bassist-X said:
Whatever, sorry about the mess guys I don't know much about lapping I guess that's why I'm a bassist and not a super cool computer modder. Also I know my comment regarding the photographic aspect was also innacurate but like I said before I had to go to class and didn't have the time to go back to correct it. I still think it's a stupid risk to take doing it to your CPU though.

:eek:
.......... wow....................... ..................................... wow........

Bassist-X said:
a stupid risk to take doing it to your CPU though.

I'm... wow.......................... :eek:

I think his intelligence just sunk my battleship!!

welll, jus got back from school and a friend said hey look at this
I'd like to call total utter photoshopery bs on this post. Yeah right man! It's so clearly photoshopped and I think the best example is that cheesy fake looking camera picture, that isn't a natural position for that at all. I think the really most incriminating evidence is why would a lapped processor (who does that anyway?) be copper colored when the casing on them isn't copper at all? Also note how blurry the picture is around the edges of the silicon in that picture and then how magically clear the cheeseball picture of that camera superimposed into it is. Poor attempt at trying to be [H]ard, don't be that guy, don't be that guy that rices that computer.

man seriously, I take the risk of messing up your prossesor when I have no money to buy a new 1, only 17 and have no job, and get flammed? this is MY deffinition of being flammed "to be bitched at by 1337 ppl that know what they are talking about and make you look stupid". and you sir have no idea what your saying lol....you didnt even know that an IHS is COPPER!...and if you didnt know IHS stands for Intergrated Heat Spreader, when i saw this post I just laughed, because this complete bull. first on all I dont even have photoshop!!! all I got is PAINT. how can i photoshop something i when i dont even have it, ive never even used photoshop."i have no money" and too lazy to look for it on the net. my camera sucks and thats why my pics suck, plus i cant take pics :p what do you mean "who lapps their cpu" lost of ppl lapp it gives you that extra contact. people lapp the HS but not the IHS but the IHS is not flat LOOK!!!

but that pics is photoshopped too right? because if you think it is then you need help
and if you think my HS is shopped too then LOOK!!! at this

IM DONE

Bassist-X said:

First off I'd like to say that the IHS IS COPPER! and i think most OC'ers doo lap their Procs because those little degrees DO matter. I am too afraid to do this cause i really cant afford to F-up my proc....you should give props to him since he DID lapp his IHS. If you've taken photography you should noe that there is a Macro mode on point-n-shoots and that im REALLY VERY POSITIVLY sure that he used that, so what if the surrounding area of the subject is blurry cause his DOF is on the camera image itself. Im 16yrs old and an "amatur photographer" as I like to say....so i might not noe that much about photography but.....heres my pic of my HSF and see for yourself if its photoshop cause its too "shiny??" or "relective??"

1000grit0029nx.jpg

Unknown-One said:
Because it is copper, but its been coated with (I think) magnesium / zinc. And believe it or not, lapping the heat spreader CAN give better temps (some people go as far as to lap the actual core :eek: )
hrumm to the actual core? id like to see links on who has the gull to do that to their core.....

not saying your wrong, i just wanna laugh at them :p and wonder why theyd want to do that

soulsaver

damn guys....soo nice of yall to keep my thread going i havent been able to post the past two days bc of the stupid hurricane :mad: and i was too busy preparing for it
the new Tt orb is pretty large and impressive....id like to see some numbers on it and snoops...watch it, wait til i get the hyper 6+ btw how are the temps on the new CNPS 9500?

keep the thread up guys as it might be a while for my next post ;)

soulsaver_8229 said:
hrumm to the actual core? id like to see links on who has the gull to do that to their core.....

not saying your wrong, i just wanna laugh at them :p and wonder why theyd want to do that

soulsaver
Linky: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=857220
And here it is, a poor clawhammer with the IHS removed and the core PWNED by SANDPAPER (And he says it still works!) :eek:

And here's a pic of it (Changed to a link)
http://www.freewebs.com/cfeclipse/clawhammer.JPG

N H O said:
damn guys....soo nice of yall to keep my thread going i havent been able to post the past two days bc of the stupid hurricane :mad: and i was too busy preparing for it
the new Tt orb is pretty large and impressive....id like to see some numbers on it and snoops...watch it, wait til i get the hyper 6+ btw how are the temps on the new CNPS 9500?

keep the thread up guys as it might be a while for my next post ;)

Temps with 4400+ and A8N-SLI 1008.3 BIOS:

@ 2.64 with 1.4v
IDLE 31deg
FULL LOAD 54deg

@ 2.60 with 1.3875v
IDLE 29-30deg
FULL LOAD 51-52deg

I haven't checked what temps are on stock speeds and voltage...maybe this weekend. I have dropped about 5-7 degs from my XP-120 at idle and about 4-5 under load and its very quiet to boot. By far the best heatsink I have ever owned...its pwning my XP-120.

snoops said:
Temps with 4400+ and A8N-SLI 1008.3 BIOS:

@ 2.64 with 1.4v
IDLE 31deg
FULL LOAD 54deg

@ 2.60 with 1.3875v
IDLE 29-30deg
FULL LOAD 51-52deg

I haven't checked what temps are on stock speeds and voltage...maybe this weekend. I have dropped about 5-7 degs from my XP-120 at idle and about 4-5 under load and its very quiet to boot. By far the best heatsink I have ever owned...its pwning my XP-120.
ah...not too shabby...ill have to see how my future hyper 6+ does....on the side note, do you think the heatsink's position to the exhaust fan has anythin to do with it cooling better than the xp120?

PS. update ur sig :p

N H O said:
ah...not too shabby...ill have to see how my future hyper 6+ does....on the side note, do you think the heatsink's position to the exhaust fan has anythin to do with it cooling better than the xp120?

PS. update ur sig :p

Yeah it definately does. The orienation of which direction the fan blows has a huge impact on temps. I had originally mounted it point down. Dont ask I had a blonde moment. :p Once I corrected it improved temps by at least 5deg.

PS. sig updated. :)

snoops said:
Yeah it definately does. The orienation of which direction the fan blows has a huge impact on temps. I had originally mounted it point down. Dont ask I had a blonde moment. :p Once I corrected it improved temps by at least 5deg.

PS. sig updated. :)
nice

the REAL "Jetlag" said:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ht_nut/pics/cooler.jpg]
funny lol

i actualy saw that at a comp store (dude wanted 60 bucks!! :eek: )

it feels light as a feather serriously.......the base is heavyish, but i wouldnt say anything over a pound feeling~

soulsaver

(cf)Eclipse said:
i'd prefer if you didn't steal my bandwidth :eek: :D

but yes, it still works. i'm actually using it this very second cause i'm troubleshooting my problematic dfi nf4 ultra-d board :(
And then you go and quote the image. :p

Seriously though, sorry about that. I changed to to a link in my previous post.

p0intphreek said:
First off I'd like to say that the IHS IS COPPER! and i think most OC'ers doo lap their Procs because those little degrees DO matter. I am too afraid to do this cause i really cant afford to F-up my proc....you should give props to him since he DID lapp his IHS. If you've taken photography you should noe that there is a Macro mode on point-n-shoots and that im REALLY VERY POSITIVLY sure that he used that, so what if the surrounding area of the subject is blurry cause his DOF is on the camera image itself. Im 16yrs old and an "amatur photographer" as I like to say....so i might not noe that much about photography but.....heres my pic of my HSF and see for yourself if its photoshop cause its too "shiny??" or "relective??"

1000grit0029nx.jpg

Okay I know what depth of field is. When I was in high school we didn't touch point and shoots we only used SLR. I just didn't think that the DOF would be that great of a difference between <1cm but I guess not. Sorry for turning this into the show off your flame thread. I tried being nice in my last post about this and apologize to the people who actually did take the time to do all of this to their stuff. <Tt flame> I even got flamed by a Thermaltake rep which to me is funny because my stock AMD HSF was better than that crap Venus 12 with AS5. I can't wait to get rid of my Tt products now that I'm learning more about what real hardware should do. I was brought into this computer world being told that Tt stood for quality and it just seems more and more it's stood for copying ricey experimental stuff that just seems silly. Why would you want to put an ashtray and cigarette lighter in a computer case anyway? If there ever was a heatsink that needed lapped it's that Tt Venus 12, the surface looked like a cobblestone road. My case and psu were good quality but just have annoyances that I don't find in other cases. </Tt flame> I've only been into computers for 9 months now, photography for 2 years, and photoshop for 8 years so you can see where I'd get my ideas from. Yes I was wrong, get over it, sorry about the mess. Peace guys, keep sandin' those processors! :-D

its working sweet dude :) got my mem to a 100mhz oc and my core to a 100 mhz oc as well. Still tweaking....... :)

Anime_Fan said:
its working sweet dude :) got my mem to a 100mhz oc and my core to a 100 mhz oc as well. Still tweaking....... :)
very nice man....and you seem to be satisfied enough with ur cpu cooler, no?

Just pulled the stock HSF and replaced with the Typhoon. Here are a few shots. I'm giving it a few days to 'cure' :D then I'll see how much more past 2.5GHz I can overclock.

x2_CPU.jpg

Typhoon.jpg

mount1.jpg

mount3.jpg

mount2.jpg

damn nice shots man....that thing really is massive...how tall is it and how much does it weigh???

Unknown-One said:
And then you go and quote the image. :p

Seriously though, sorry about that. I changed to to a link in my previous post.
my own host :D:D:D
thaks though, i appreciate it

N H O said:
damn nice shots man....that thing really is massive...how tall is it and how much does it weigh???

Here are the specs on it. My case is also an Antec Sonata case. It fits. :D

Heatsink Dimension 122 x 122 x 103 mm
Fan Dimension 120 x 120 x 25 mm Max. Air Flow 54.4 CFM
Weight 813 g (28.70 oz)

Guy Gadbois said:
Here are the specs on it. My case is also an Antec Sonata case. It fits. :D

Heatsink Dimension 122 x 122 x 103 mm
Fan Dimension 120 x 120 x 25 mm Max. Air Flow 54.4 CFM
Weight 813 g (28.70 oz)
very nice man.....and how do u like the sonata? wat hav you done to it to improve its airflow?

and Sentential...... :eek:...wat temps are you gettin with ur 560? is it overclocked?

Ya thats a primary DDR2 testing rig I have setup there. Temps are so-so only because Asus isnt reading proper temps.

Clocks on this 650 are 4.25ish with 1.46v. Temps are 44 idle and 53 load :D

Back