Show off your Heatsink thread

damn Bio-Hazard.....thats a first....ive never seen one of those on this board....so err how are the temps with it?? reply quickly :p

sweet, qbackin please remember to post some nice pics ;)

ok this may sound very noob of me but i just have to know.

why is it that people shine up there heatsinks (xp-90) in particular. is it better heat transfer? or just for show?

i will probably be getting one for a new system so is it worth it? (lapping i mean)

Vulcanworlds said:

why is it that people shine up there heatsinks (xp-90) in particular. is it better heat transfer? or just for show?

i will probably be getting one for a new system so is it worth it? (lapping i mean)
usually people lap their heatsinks for better, smoother, and flatter surface for a better contact to the cpu which usually results and lower temps ;) is it worth it? well it is up to u to decide if its worth it :p are u in the desparate need for lower temps?

Vulcanworlds said:

Lapping can improve heat transfer because you will likely be improving the surface.
Manufactuers can't afford to devote the attention to a perfect finish as we can.

While heatsinks with perfect mirror surfaces are nice too look at, with the particle size of
many premium pastes much over an 800grit finish gives little improvement. The most important thing
is to have a FLAT and consistant surface.

There are countless lapping posts with any info you may need in the forums if one is inclined to utilize the search tool.

yes i will do some searching on that subject i wasnt sure if it was like a given thing that everyone did and i was out of the loop on. thank you.

N H O said:
damn Bio-Hazard.....thats a first....ive never seen one of those on this board....so err how are the temps with it?? reply quickly :p

sweet, qbackin please remember to post some nice pics ;)
24c idle and 46c load at 240x10 at 1.575 volts.........totally silent................ :eek:

My test rig; Abit AV8, A64 Whinnie 3200, 2x512 Ultra, 9800Pro. Cooling..........depends on what I'm reviewing at the time..................;)

Bio-Hazard said:
24c idle and 46c load at 240x10 at 1.575 volts.........totally silent................ :eek:

My test rig; Abit AV8, A64 Whinnie 3200, 2x512 Ultra, 9800Pro. Cooling..........depends on what I'm reviewing at the time..................;)
not too shabby

were talking about heatsinks here and you know you have to put something between it and you cpu soo iv'e found that AS5 is NOT the best thermalpaste :eek: yes. I think the Thermalright paste i got with my XP-90 works better dropped my load temps(on prime) by 3C and this was all done in the same day. I dont want to start a flame war or anything but thats just what "I" think so dont say anyting to me :cool:

heres my new zalman full copper 120mm fan heatsink........going on my 3000 venice :p

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

hope ya like it :p

soulsaver

very nice shots soulsavor....those are the kind that i wanna see :p nice detailed shots of the heatsink from diff angles :D

Bio-Hazard said:
Check this out, TT has another Orb style CPU cooler out that's even larger than the Golden Orb................ :eek: Introduceing the Blue Orb II............... :D

O... M... G!!!! That is just sick! I love it!!!

Heres mine. Since i took this picture ive done alot more wire management looks alot cleaner now :D
Build6.jpg

pstang said:
how much does that blue orb weigh.... looks like is Aluminum but that thing is huge

The Blue Orb II weighs in at 869g .... :eek:

Yeah people... look out for your northbridge heatsink...

The Blue Orb II being rated at 17dBA is a complete joke. A mostly aluminum design and it still weighs 869g?

_Korruption_ said:
The Blue Orb II being rated at 17dBA is a complete joke. A mostly aluminum design and it still weighs 869g?

*I* didn't rate the noise level...

But yeah, the copper insert goes pretty far in, and the heatsink is enormous... 869g

I know you don't rate the noise levels, you seem to be holding up quite well here. Maybe you can convince the higher-ups to come up with more realistic numbers, even if they have to fudge them up somehow. A fan that size, spinning at 1700rpm, cannot produce only 17dBA of noise.

In comparison to the Zalman 7700Al-Cu, which weighs "only" 600g, the Blue Orb II is definitely a heavyweight...

Bio-Hazard said:

This heatsink/fan brought to you by the folks at Snapper, makers of fine chipper shredders and lawn & garden equipment.

Please keep small animals and children away from the computer at all times.

Do not operate while under the influence as bodily harm may result.

I hope to get one for review.................. :eek: The golden Orb does better than the VaporChill micro on my A64 system. and I'd be willing to bet the blue Orb does even better. Oh, and the Golden Orb is also quieter than the VC Micro Ultra Low Noise.................... :D

snoops said:
One heatsink to rule them all...

heatsink2.jpg

i was sitting there looking at this and was thinking what the heck is that... then i realized it was the new Zalman... it looks good, but why is it sitting crooked?

OMG that new Tt isn't a CPU cooler, it's a Motherboard cooler. That thing is ginormous! Glad to be getting away from this Tt Venus 12 I have and into my new Zalman CNPS9500LED when it arrives early next week.

Krayzie135 said:
well...here's an update on my heasink. before my XP-90 was only lapped to 600grit(pic on first page) now i got it upto 2000 and I also did my P4 :D :D

cant really see the pics good here, click on pic to see full size :p

I'd like to call total utter photoshopery bs on this post. Yeah right man! It's so clearly photoshopped and I think the best example is that cheesy fake looking camera picture, that isn't a natural position for that at all. I think the really most incriminating evidence is why would a lapped processor (who does that anyway?) be copper colored when the casing on them isn't copper at all? Also note how blurry the picture is around the edges of the silicon in that picture and then how magically clear the cheeseball picture of that camera superimposed into it is. Poor attempt at trying to be [H]ard, don't be that guy, don't be that guy that rices that computer.

I would like to take this on a point-by-point basis.

Bassist-X said:
I'd like to call total utter photoshopery bs on this post. Yeah right man! It's so clearly photoshopped...
Ok, before you jump to conclusions, CHECK to make sure that its actualy photoshoped. Photoshop leaves the label "Photoshop" in the header info of every file it creates.
I've just checked a couple of these (the two you found most incriminating) with a hex editor, and neither of them had "Photoshop" in the header info.

Bassist-X said:
and I think the best example is that cheesy fake looking camera picture, that isn't a natural position for that at all.
So he held the camera so it could see its own reflection in the heat sink, big whoop :rolleyes:

Bassist-X said:
I think the really most incriminating evidence is why would a lapped processor (who does that anyway?) be copper colored when the casing on them isn't copper at all?
Because it is copper, but its been coated with (I think) magnesium / zinc. And believe it or not, lapping the heat spreader CAN give better temps (some people go as far as to lap the actual core :eek: )

Bassist-X said:
Also note how blurry the picture is around the edges of the silicon in that picture and then how magically clear the cheeseball picture of that camera superimposed into it is.
That’s because he was focusing on THE REFLECTION of the camera, not the heat spreader itself, this same effect can be seen in the image of the heat sink reflecting the camera that’s in an “unnatural position”.
If he had focused on the heat spreader, the reflection of the camera would have been blurry.

Bassist-X said:
Poor attempt at trying to be [H]ard, don't be that guy, don't be that guy that rices that computer.
Get a hex editor and check for yourself; And also remember to check your facts ahead of time next time. ;)

So, do you have a rebuttal?

Bassist-X said:
I'd like to call total utter photoshopery bs on this post. Yeah right man! It's so clearly photoshopped and I think the best example is that cheesy fake looking camera picture, that isn't a natural position for that at all. I think the really most incriminating evidence is why would a lapped processor (who does that anyway?) be copper colored when the casing on them isn't copper at all? Also note how blurry the picture is around the edges of the silicon in that picture and then how magically clear the cheeseball picture of that camera superimposed into it is. Poor attempt at trying to be [H]ard, don't be that guy, don't be that guy that rices that computer.
cant do it?

either im uber leet at trianglulating where stuff is supposed to go and executing it in photoshop, or you just got proven wrong

sorry nho for not posting pic of heat sink, i just had to prove him wrong

Sorry for the mistake. I still think the other dude's pictures look fake as hell. Couldn't you just as easily hexedit out those tags? There is also other software too like GIMP, did you check to see for those tags if that leaves any too? Now I believe you with those pictures that it can be done, nice job. It just looked fake because the focal length between the silicon and the processor surface wasn't that different and it seemed like it shouldn't have made that much difference. I still maintain that the first pics looked sketchy to me but these new ones are much better. I could photoshop the first pictures if I really wanted to look like that. Anyway did lapping that much really help that much at all with your temps Ryuji?

my load vs idle temp is 8 degrees, with the prescott at 1.55v, it dropped load temp 5 degs C, didnt do much for idle

my water block and cpu are so flat and smooth that i tried it without TIM and i had temps only 5 degs hotter compared to baked as5

Back