• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should the Command Line Be Deep-Sixed?

Most all software I have ever written has a CLI interface regardless of what it does. Even an image viewer could use with a nice CLI for relaying important information in text. Alternative interfaces may be added later, but designing an interface to visually present all features is just a waste of time.

If the software is to be made available to the general public someone else can design a nice interface and "add" it.
 
How else would be easier to accomplish than typing "ren *.bat *.bak" or "copy 123.txt + 456.txt 789.txt"?
 
I'd love to know the ages of the people responding, just to get a feel for whether votes for or against CLI is influenced by it. Do people prefer CLI because they've been using it so long, or have they been brought up on GUIs and evolved to CLI?

I'm in my early 20s, and you can have the CLI when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Linux or Windows, doesn't matter. CLI is just far more efficient at some things.

Also, did anyone else notice that the "article" was just a collection of other people's quotes? wtf was that?
 
No "Power" user would even ask this question. I use the CLI on Windows, Linux and Mac nearly everyday for work. Loosing the CLI for any one of them would be a HUGE issue.
 
RunningFlame wtf are you talking about? I reboot once a month for Windows updates, software updates do not require a reboot. If I had a magical OS that NEVER rebooted, I would have saved 10 minutes total this month. Insane efficiency gains, you must be smoking crack.
 
This statement is ignorant, at best. What's your OSX experience?

Touchy, touchy. :rolleyes: It just works, why would you need something like an archaic command line?

It was a joke, I know that the more technical users of OSX use the terminal as much as technical users of Windows/Linux use the CLI. You're on a PC-weighted forum, I can't believe you'd be surprised by something like this. Relax.
 
Ill say YES to be argumentative. But its probably relating to the mainstream users. Who don't want to do this kind of thing, and feel out of their depth with it. Until theres intellegent computer systems that understand your thoughts, then being able to do something out of the ordinary shall have to stay. But 95% of users probably don't do anything like that. So for them, sure they wouldn't notice losing it. But until theres a viable replacement then its not going anywhere.
 
RunningFlame wtf are you talking about? I reboot once a month for Windows updates, software updates do not require a reboot. If I had a magical OS that NEVER rebooted, I would have saved 10 minutes total this month. Insane efficiency gains, you must be smoking crack.

Remind me to never allow your computer(s) on my network.
 
If you're lucky. If you're not so lucky and you don't have common hardware you get to do the insert driver cd, install, restart routine. Either way you get to spend awhile after installing the mandatory anti-malware, office software, browser of choice, etc, etc, etc. and a number of those things love to force restarts too.

What do you think people do to install Linux? Chant IRQ numbers and pray to Linus?

In Linux once I have it installed I can open apt-get or yast, or what have you (or just stay on the cli) and within a few minutes have installed ten different applications, all of which will have any updates to them installed simultaneously through the same place.

Then I can update the entire system and all installed applications at once, restart only once, and I'm done. Then whenever anything on the system needs to be updated I can go to that same place and let it update itself and very rarely actually have to restart either.

Windows? Go to website, download update, install, possibly restart, repeat as necessary. Maybe you get lucky and it's run update tool, ok update installing, possibly restart, repeat as necessary.

The efficiency gains I can enjoy when using Linux instead of Windows are insane.
If you were to believe LInux guys their operating system was infallible but in reality it never works quite that way. Just yesterday I needed to install a printer on my Linux laptop to print off some coupons for an event. Plugged in the printer....installed the update, was forced to reboot, then spent the next 10 minutes dicking with settings before it finally printed. On Windows 7 I plugged it in, it recognized it, and I hit print. My point is that I always hear how perfect Linux is and how quick it is to do anything but I've never actually seen it work quite as depicted by it's fans.
 
I'm in my early 20s, and you can have the CLI when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Linux or Windows, doesn't matter. CLI is just far more efficient at some things.
I have a friend who is a Linux admin....watching him use the CLI is a thing of beauty. To say that it's efficient is an understatement. Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not know how to use it.
 
another "no" vote from me. I do a ton of command line tasks especially on Windows Servers.

STSADM is an awesome and powerful command that does everything and make coffee for you on Sharepoint Servers that a GUI couldn't even begin to touch, not to mention SQL command lines.
 
I have a friend who is a Linux admin....watching him use the CLI is a thing of beauty. To say that it's efficient is an understatement. Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not know how to use it.

I've only recently got acquainted with our POSIX friend in the last few weeks and yesterday I saw an experienced user fly through xterm with all this craziness. So I concur, it is a thing of beauty.

Also considering the MVC model, the control portion is the underlying functionality of the view. You simply can't strip away the underlying functionality.

I'll also go as far as to say distributions such as Ubuntu are pretty much on par with Windows functionality, assuming you know how to get around a little bit or you have friends nearby to assist you in particular tasks.
 
I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the idea of this.

Whilst Windows still has a CLI, only power users and admins need to generally use it. Such users only use this because there isn't a GUI to do it or for speed (copy/paste) reasons. Linux distros generally lack the GUI ability that Windows versions have by default.

The real question is not whether it should be gotten rid of entirely, but rather that it should be pushed into obscurity like with Windows and the functions given proper GUI alternatives that any user can find without a tech manual.

Linux powerusers need to accept that turning to the CLI should be seen as a last resort, not a first resort. What's needed is a culture change in development, as otherwise Linux will simply never be able to appeal to a mainstream audience and it will be the fault of the same people who keep claiming they want Linux to succeed.

/rant off
 
No, and i have been a windows user for all of my computer life, but recently i have put 2 CentOS installs in at work and the first thing i do is go into SSH to connect to them, and even if i sit at the systems, i open a terminal.

On windows i use the cmd for IP stuff, faster then click here, then there and then here again to get info i can get in the stroke of a few words.
 
Do you have a reasonable, explainable reason for that?
Vista/7 do not need to be rebooted like Xp does. Not for stability, or security.

Of course he doesn't have a reasonable, explainable reason for it. How could he, he's basically attacking me because the OS just plain does not need reboots often. And I'll bet you anything my machines are more locked down than anything on his network.
(deadcrickets: ever hear of SEHOP, require CTRL-ALT-DEL for login, use Mandatory access controls on your files? Thought not.)
 
CLI code is amaller, thus more efficient and often faster than GUI code. CLI code also allows one to more easily complete complex tasks in the form of batch files.

How is one going to make a batch file without a CLI? They'd need a program scheduler, and it would have to be configured...often manually. It'd just be kludgy as hell, and not nearly readable.

Plus batch files can be emailed in plaintext, thus pose no risk of harm, unlike what I forsee a CLI macro script doing.
 
Need the CLI left as it is just so Linux users can feel superior to Windows users.
 
If you were to believe LInux guys their operating system was infallible but in reality it never works quite that way. Just yesterday I needed to install a printer on my Linux laptop to print off some coupons for an event. Plugged in the printer....installed the update, was forced to reboot, then spent the next 10 minutes dicking with settings before it finally printed. On Windows 7 I plugged it in, it recognized it, and I hit print. My point is that I always hear how perfect Linux is and how quick it is to do anything but I've never actually seen it work quite as depicted by it's fans.

So go bitch at your printer maker for making bad drivers... ? how is it linuxe's fault?

Windows and companies such as HP and Epson have deals to include drivers in the OS when they can.
 
Well... IMO, the CLI should be a SU/elevated access system. Too many idiots out there are still using scripts to do idiot things.

As for nuking the CLI..... it CAN be done... think of every Gaming console ever made... how many of us used the CLI on the gaming console for its PRIMARY functions? I'd say less than 1/10th of 1% of all gamers.

Same with other dedicated devices... like Mobile OS's
Hell, if we get very basic... camcorders, blueray players don't use CLI and get away with it just fine.

I think CLI will never 'truely die' in the dev world... but in consumer land... it might be nice.
 
Too many things can only be done by command line.
If someone really wants it gone, they are either

a) clueless OS developer who wants to reduce his workload
b) clueless user who has no need of it (lulz I take it to Geeksquad)
 
The powerful command line is one of the primary reasons I use UNIX. What a stupid question.
 
Too many things can only be done by command line.

b) clueless user who has no need of it (lulz I take it to Geeksquad)

I've run into people with 30+ years in IT running Windows every day for the past decade or so, and have never even seen the CL.

Someone in building A calls you to see if you're in building C. Nope, I'm still in building B. Call again. Still in B. Call. Call. Finally ask what needs to be done in C?

What needed to be done isn't something I need to physically be there to do. When I told them I can do it over the network here, and send them a screenshot of the CL commands to perform it, you get a "how do you even get the CL?" question...

I ended up making batch files for them to perform it themselves...
 
Seems rather stupid to do... many people use the command line in the IT field, am I right?

Linux people bringing this up... odd? Or a change in times?
 
Its ONE stupid blogger suggesting this. Come one guys, please stop posting these single opinion piece articles based on some random jerks opinion!
 
I've run into people with 30+ years in IT running Windows every day for the past decade or so, and have never even seen the CL.

Someone in building A calls you to see if you're in building C. Nope, I'm still in building B. Call again. Still in B. Call. Call. Finally ask what needs to be done in C?

What needed to be done isn't something I need to physically be there to do. When I told them I can do it over the network here, and send them a screenshot of the CL commands to perform it, you get a "how do you even get the CL?" question...

I ended up making batch files for them to perform it themselves...

I'm sorry if thats the case you need to tell your super to fire those people... there's thousands of people who know what a CL is that could use that job. I don't care how many kids he has, if he doesn't know what a CL is after 30 years I would laugh and call him clueless to his face. Then I would surely look to hire someone qualified to work with.

I hope you're joking or overexaggerating those numbers lol... thats just bad.
 
Its ONE stupid blogger suggesting this. Come one guys, please stop posting these single opinion piece articles based on some random jerks opinion!

Yeah... its getting bad. I like to look for interesting quick reads about tech related stuff on this subforum usually, but today they are linking websites that have biased reviews or comments, or link to a crappy 3rd world blogger or paid-off website......
 
Yeah... its getting bad. I like to look for interesting quick reads about tech related stuff on this subforum usually, but today they are linking websites that have biased reviews or comments, or link to a crappy 3rd world blogger or paid-off website......

The problem is they dont spend anytime actually reading the article in question and determining if its worth posting here or not...it took me less than a minute to skim it and realize is all based on some random Slashdot twats OPINION.
 
So go bitch at your printer maker for making bad drivers... ? how is it linuxe's fault?

Windows and companies such as HP and Epson have deals to include drivers in the OS when they can.
Guys like you are what's wrong with the tech world and the reason the average person doesn't give a shit about Linux. These were embedded drivers, not the manufacturer's. I was commenting that drivers and upgrading isn't as painless as Linux fanbois make it out to be and providing an example. Rather than the community as a whole fixing the problem they do just like you did and act like stuck up retards, ignore the problem, and continue to stand on their soap boxes and tell us the the problem we just had doesn't exist and how Windows is the devil. The last time I did an upgrade I lost all bluetooth functionality and the best advice the Ubuntu forums could give me was to google and find my own damn answer.....as if I didn't spend all day doing that already. A guy then commented on the thread that he had the same problem but fixed it....then didn't bother to tell the rest of us looking for answers how. When asked how he fixed it we were all told to google the answer for ourselves.

If you guys want manufacturers to start supporting your OS I suggest stop acting like pricks.
 
Nah command line should stay. I do prefer GUIs but there are still apps (mainly accessing off network things) that I prefer command lines.
 
I'm sorry if thats the case you need to tell your super to fire those people... there's thousands of people who know what a CL is that could use that job. I don't care how many kids he has, if he doesn't know what a CL is after 30 years I would laugh and call him clueless to his face. Then I would surely look to hire someone qualified to work with.

I hope you're joking or overexaggerating those numbers lol... thats just bad.

they're working on that...

When the economy collapsed, and someone actually quit (during a possible depression, what an idiot, see what I mean!?), the manager had like 70 applications in just days, from coast to coast. That's when they realized it was time to clean house.

One's been working in DCs for 30+ years, but did not know what a "rack" was...
 
Here is the answer: the question is irrelevant.

In every area where the CLI could present a difficulty for the "average user" it has already been eliminated. For any areas where it persists it's an asset or an option for power users. CLI commands to fix an issue being the best example.

It's infinitely faster to have someone copy and paste a series of commands than it is to walk them through every single GUI step to do the same, assuming that is you actually know what commands are required.

Sums up what I was going to say very well. You can't just "do away" with the CLI unless GUIs become MUCH more flexible and powerful than they are.
 
Too many people in this thread clearly haven't tried Ubuntu 9.10/10.04 and it really shows... :rolleyes:

Also,
Guys like you are what's wrong with the tech world and the reason the average person doesn't give a shit about Linux. These were embedded drivers, not the manufacturer's. I was commenting that drivers and upgrading isn't as painless as Linux fanbois make it out to be and providing an example. Rather than the community as a whole fixing the problem they do just like you did and act like stuck up retards, ignore the problem, and continue to stand on their soap boxes and tell us the the problem we just had doesn't exist and how Windows is the devil. The last time I did an upgrade I lost all bluetooth functionality and the best advice the Ubuntu forums could give me was to google and find my own damn answer.....as if I didn't spend all day doing that already. A guy then commented on the thread that he had the same problem but fixed it....then didn't bother to tell the rest of us looking for answers how. When asked how he fixed it we were all told to google the answer for ourselves.

If you guys want manufacturers to start supporting your OS I suggest stop acting like pricks.
Oh, yea, those lazy developers... how DARE they make the whole OS from scratch and then "stand on their soap boxes" when idiot n00bs like yourself demand they make drivers for every possible piece of hardware in existence. :rolleyes:

Linux is only difficult to use if you THINK it's difficult to use. A CLI is not something people should be afraid of. Ooh, the scary keyboard is going to eat me!!!!11one
 
Also,
Oh, yea, those lazy developers... how DARE they make the whole OS from scratch and then "stand on their soap boxes" when idiot n00bs like yourself demand they make drivers for every possible piece of hardware in existence. :rolleyes:
When they stand up on their soap boxes and treat people like shit while ripping every other operating system that has that functionality built in they have it coming to them.
 
speaking as a up and coming network administrator (getting my AAS and various certifications in college atm), I have had it drilled in my head that the CLI is needed for damn near everything on Windows/Linux. Getting rid of that would seriously hamper an administrator's job to do what they need to do.
 
When they stand up on their soap boxes and treat people like shit while ripping every other operating system that has that functionality built in they have it coming to them.

I honestly don't know which Linux devs you know, but that doesn't sound like anyone I know... Devs != Linux Zealots. I agree the Zealots are retarded. But so are the Windows and Mac zealots. Linux is not for every person yet. Devs know that. Zealots refuse to believe it.
 
Back
Top