Should Kids Learn to Code?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
An interesting question for sure. Do you think it would be a good idea to start teaching the basics of programming languages at some level in the formal education process in school systems?

If coding is to be made a mandatory subject in schools, it needs to be done in just the same, practical-minded way. Ground students in the principles, communicate that ownership and responsibility are as possible with computer programs as anything else, and then move them on to the next thing.

Yes. We're a technology dependent country, and things are only getting more and more dependent.

I also strongly feel Math should be a mandatory subject from k-12.

I think it is a stupid idea, not everyone is destined for the IT industry.

You don't need to be destined for IT to learn the principles of logic.

In fact, I think MANY would benefit from it.

It was for me...was it not in your school?

Same... Actually shocks me it isn't everywhere. Programming I did on my own from a young age, starting with qbasic at around 7 and some dabbling in c++ at 11-12. My schools all offered tech courses and even programming basics, though I was advanced beyond those on my own anyways. These experiences were invaluable to me and have shaped my life towards tech, which I always had a natural aptitude towards. I now work in software development, specifically games, and have done some network administration and website development for schools.

Problem solving, structure, work flow...among many other things that one can learn from coding...Yeah, now why in God's name would we ever want our children to get those type of skills? How is that going to help them flip burgers, or ring up customers at Xmart... ::rolleyes::

We have desperate problems just trying to get the "Three R's" to acceptable national standards.

We have bigger things to worry about. With the basics, acquiring computer skills is easy.

-Signed an engineer and computer programmer

Aren't schools (parents too, infact mainly parents) failing to teach crap like common sense and life skills along with maths and english skills? Don't think mandating a load of other crap will help the situation...

I think everyone should get a little exposure to coding and programming. Today as well as the future is so computer dependent. They should have a requirement for some programming before high school. HTML it's about as easy as it gets. It can be fun for kids because they can see results quickly, and its easy to pick up once they got the basics. Schools can teach them HTML then have them make a website as a test.

I'm self-taught and learning HTML is where I got started wanting to learn how to make a website. I'm going to be getting my nephews (9 & 11) started with HTML and help them set up their own web site. They both want to be video game programmers like all kids that age so I figure it would be a fun project for them and help them learn a little programming on a simple level at the same time have fun with their own website.

I think with a little exposure, the kids today will have a much easier time with it in their future.

I think we should be more interested in making sure they learn the basics than they learn something like computer programming. It should be an elective, not a mandatory subject.

adding to my post above, I don't think they need to require levels of programming, but just exposure to it. Like math, they are required to learn the basics (geometry, algebra, etc), but can choose to take the advance courses (physics, trig, calc, etc) if the want.

This is an absolute yes. Young childrens brains are the most eager to learn at this crucial time. Coding teaches them many of the fundamental things they are already learning, reasoning, logic, language, mathematics, syntax, etc. you name it. Plus they can be creators of their own software. I don't see how this could hurt.

It should be mandatory for all kids on the planet. Computers are a lot smarter than our dumb asses, we should just make them do everything for us, their turn to Neo it out.

I started writing code in BASIC on a TRS-80 Model in 1979 when I was 11 and its the best thing I've ever done in life.

For me, Basic seemed to help both my english (which I was bad at), and my applied math skills. I never went on to become an avid programmer, but I certainly do not regret my time spent learning a bit of programming.

In fact, I have already decided to teach my daughter some programming beginning somewhere about the 3rd or 4th grade.

I think it is a stupid idea, not everyone is destined for the IT industry.

Just like how we teach kids to play sports and go to gym. Which btw is mandatory.

Learning how to code goes beyond IT industry. It helps students learn logic and work around problems multiple ways. Best of all, there's a more likely chance that someone will get a carrier with coding then they will from sports.

The best you can hope with sports is walking out of high school without a serious injury that's going to stick with you for the rest of you life. You know, like a back problem.

In my experience all the mandatory computer science classes I was subjected to were a crock of s**t. If anything they taught brutally out of date information or were just a glorified typing class. That's what excites me about the Raspberry Pi, I really wish I had a cheap computer I could have tinkered with and learned the actual ins and outs of when I was in school.

The real problem will be finding qualified instructors or building an idiot proof curriculum to be taught by the less than qualified.

I'd rather see children taking more practical skills classes like autoshop, carpentry and home ec. You're far better off teaching kids how to be independent, live away from home and to make a good life on a meager budget.

Agree with this. If a child genuinely shows interest in computers and devices, let them try it. But it shouldn't be mandatory for all kids.

Finance classes that teach budgeting should be mandatory. Also some sort of logic class. I was homeschooled in 7th grade but I went to a weekly homeschooling class and we took logic - it helped me immensely and all kids would benefit from it.

I think everyone should get a little exposure to coding and programming. Today as well as the future is so computer dependent. They should have a requirement for some programming before high school. HTML it's about as easy as it gets. It can be fun for kids because they can see results quickly, and its easy to pick up once they got the basics. Schools can teach them HTML then have them make a website as a test.

You use a car every day. Should I make you take a car body shop class for that?

You live in a house made of wood and brick. Should I make you go to votech to become a carpenter?

Just like how we teach kids to play sports and go to gym. Which btw is mandatory.

Learning how to code goes beyond IT industry. It helps students learn logic and work around problems multiple ways. Best of all, there's a more likely chance that someone will get a carrier with coding then they will from sports.

The best you can hope with sports is walking out of high school without a serious injury that's going to stick with you for the rest of you life. You know, like a back problem.

I graduated high school with a full track scholarship, never got injured. Until I got in the Marines. Learned computer stuff though in High School because it's the future.

Like programming?

No, like logic.

I obviously don't have the textbook anymore but it went over types of logical fallacies in arguments like straw man, red herring, etc.

It also had puzzles, where it would give you a few variables and then you had to figure out everything else based on what you knew. Kind of like a big sudoku word problem.

I just don't think it should be exclusive to programming.

No, like logic.

I obviously don't have the textbook anymore but it went over types of logical fallacies in arguments like straw man, red herring, etc.

It also had puzzles, where it would give you a few variables and then you had to figure out everything else based on what you knew. Kind of like a big sudoku word problem.

I just don't think it should be exclusive to programming.

So.. a programming class. Got it.

There are many separate disciplines in logic, computer and binary logic are only a couple of parts.

Thank you.

I think the idea is to teach kids how to think logically using a variety of different examples and methods, not strictly from a programming perspective.

This is an absolute yes. Young childrens brains are the most eager to learn at this crucial time. Coding teaches them many of the fundamental things they are already learning, reasoning, logic, language, mathematics, syntax, etc. you name it. Plus they can be creators of their own software. I don't see how this could hurt.

Apparently not. Do you know what percentage of schools FAIL "no kid left behind" minimum test standards for reading and math?

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/pdf/main2011/2012457.pdf
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/pdf/main2011/2012458.pdf

More programs are NOT the answer.

Try watching "Waiting for superman" on Netflix.

Try watching "Waiting for superman" on Netflix.

Awesome but truly sad documentary.

Even if we came up with the ultimate curriculum for teaching our kids (like programming and other useful subjects) I wouldn't trust any of the teachers in our public school system to effectively teach it.

There are many separate disciplines in logic, computer and binary logic are only a couple of parts.

You learned logical fallacies presented in debates like ad hominem, appeal to authority, straw man, etc., in programming?

No, I learned them in debate/philosophy.

Thank you.

I think the idea is to teach kids how to think logically using a variety of different examples and methods, not strictly from a programming perspective.

So.. a programming class, right?

Back