Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
nope.
Cargill is in process or bring all the outsourced IT jobs back stateside. The cost saved in outsourcing was compounded by the issues people where having talking with "Help desk". Other companies are following suit.
I'll say no thank you to a union.
I get paid plenty, my benefits are fine, and I get compensated in time off for overtime.
All a union would do is make sure my time was micro-managed to death and remove any incentive for me to do a little extra now because I know things will be slack later.
thats great for cargill but in my world outsourcing is in full steam ahead mode. 2 years ago we were at an 90/10 company employee/contractor ratio. now we are 60/40 with more coming over every month. keep in mind this is just on the IT side. the outsourcing is also being done on the research and manufacturing side as well. would you be comfortable giving your kids a drug or vaccine made in india or china?
Actually, Even attempting to form a union or talk about it can get you fired at most companies. its an Automatic thing.
Unions are only good when the people don't abuse it's power. A factory close to where I live had to shut down because the union demanded more money. They were already making $15-$18/hour + full benefits, to make stupid seat tracks for your car seats. I'm sorry, but they are ALREADY getting over paid for the job, then they want more? Guess what, that plant moved to Mexico and most of the people are now making 1/2 of what they were making then. I know this because I know a few people who worked there.
As for the Union where my dad works, when the contract is up, the company offers raises, and the union takes them without demanding more. They are happy for what they have.
Ok my bad, I forgot that I fall under the "highly skilled" category for exemption status. With that said, most "helpdesk" or operation support are not salaried, most are infact hourly. And believe me when I tell you, no one know this more than penny pinching banks.
I don't know...these outsourced workers are making a mockery of the IT field...certifications are now a joke because of Indian cert-factories, and quality is second to quantity.
Unions are an archaic item no longer needed. They had their time and place, but in todays economy and market, they are worthless.
Uh, actually, looking at the strict legal definitions most IT staff don't meet federal salary exempt requirements. There is a lawyer in Colorado making quite a bit of bank off that fact filing federal suits on behalf of employees. My company moved IT staff to salary non-exempt over the last 2 years to avoid his attention, and paid those of us who accurately recorded the extra time we worked even when we weren't being compensated for it 2 years of back overtime pay. Cha ching!
Talk about a bunch of ticked off people. All the people who only recorded 40 hrs a week because "It doesn't make any difference" for those previous 2 years were royally PO'd.
Now, because of cost control, we can't work overtime, but I work an actual 40 hr week. Works for me.![]()
GM isn't on the verge of bankruptcy because of NAFTA. GM is going down because of the insanely expensive health care policies forced on the company years ago... by unions. For the record, GM is the #1 seller of cars in Asia; more than Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc. When it comes to cars, the top status symbol in China is a black Buick.Blaming unions for those industries downfall, especially the auto industry? Try "free-trade."
"American" companies should not be allowed to partially run their business inside of the U.S. while reaping all of the benefits of third world workers. It's borderline treason.
Union member is paid nearly six figures for the same job that's worth $30K in the real economy.There are many pros and cons to being in a union, but for the most part I like being in one. It's nice to get paid a smidge under 6 figures for a job my buddy at Charter Cable only gets about 30k for lol.
THIS.
I would only add that GOOD IT professionals need no help getting what they want in an employment relationship. Those that can't, shouldn't. People need to realize that THEY control what happens in their working relationship, not anyone else. The minute you decide to give that up by depending on Union to take care of that for you, you become a slave.
I'd like to think that most IT workers know the potential evils of a union enough to stay away.
Look how well it worked for the Auto industry..
Hell no. I hate unions. The only good a union is for in todays age is to expedite outsourcing.
I would join a union in a heart beat!!! My boss is about to turn on GPS tracking for all Network Support Specilists. When I asked if I could now leave the BB at work. nope.
So now my boss is gonna be tracking me durring off hours and I only have his word that he wont.
Oh I agree. I get emails on my Blackberry off the clock too, but my boss expects me to document any offhour work I perform and put it on my timesheet at the end of the week. She's awesome like that.
I'm just saying his boss has the right to put a GPS plan on company phones whenever he wants and if you don't like it, get your own phone, thats all.
But of course it gets tricky when it comes to emergencies. If a server goes down and someone's trying to reach you but you're not carrying your company phone, don't expect to have a job tomorrow lol
Your free to find a new job. I would do so under those circumstances.
I dont think many of you really understand what unions were created for in the first place. I grew up in the coal fields of West Virginia, I have seen first hand how it all works. My great uncle Sid Hatfield faught against the coal companies durring the Matewan massacre, the companies actually hired mercenaries to put down the workers with machine guns! The coal companies took away these people houses, ability to buy food and made them so far in debt that they were indentured servants to the company. That is the condition for a union.
Is your boss pointing a gun at you and putting your family out on the street?
Unions are an archaic item no longer needed. They had their time and place, but in todays economy and market, they are worthless.
Especially for IT. There is no way I want to be a part of the union where $9 dollar an hour help desk people are in the same union as a 50 grand a year field service guy and a 250 grand a year developer. All are VERY different jobs requiring different skills and hours and expectations.
You are a very narrow minded individual. The largest unions keep this country running and I'm sure not very many even thought about it, the railroad unions. You think they're archaic and not needed? You've never worked for a Class 1 railroad then.
A union that goes to battle for you against management to keep you employeed when you didn't commit a violation. A union that will keep you with a salary if you do something to get your self time on the street for a violation. A union that will give you the best and nearly incomparable retirement that no other company can come close to matching.
I fucking love you!!!!!yes, you should, because as soon as you all go on strike i am going to inject massive amounts of porn into your servers
So you want people to wait until the sitation gets this extreme instead of tackling it before it happens?
Union member is paid nearly six figures for the same job that's worth $30K in the real economy.
I rest my case.