• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I upgrade?

are these chips 1600fsb? Meaning it would be a good idea to get 1600mhz ram for them?
 
are these chips 1600fsb? Meaning it would be a good idea to get 1600mhz ram for them?

The FSB system doesn't exist anymore with the Core i CPUs, They use a different method altogether. With that said, DDR3 1600 RAM would be a good idea for overclocking puposes.

Still continuing on your Core i7X58 route?
 
i guess so? I'd like to get the most life out of my pc as possible.

Again, spending that extra $200 isn't gonna make your PC last any longer for gaming than the Core i5 route.

Case in point: Your Asus rampage extreme motherboard. Despite spending the extra cash for it, that Asus Rampage Extreme hasn't lasted that much longer than P45, X48, or X38 motherboards. That mobo was $400 IIRC. Typical P45 motherboards were about $130.
 
150-250 total for everything?!

Yes. AMD has released some very cost-effective CPUs in the past few years. In addition RAM prices has dropped in the past few months. Finally, that motherboard doesn't really hold its value at all since it basically means that you're stuck with old and outdated tech.

So $250 at best IMO.
 
i just recently sold a 939 socket cpu on ebay for $250......

That's because people refuse to upgrade to modern hardware or are just plain stubborn. In addition, considering that the proliferation of those 939 CPUs weren't that high, it was no wonder that you got such a good price for a 939 CPU.

However, that's not the case with socket 775 CPUs. They're in widespread circulation. There's numerous different models at almost every price point. Socket 775 CPUs were in 90% of the builds that we did in this forum from late 2006 to early 2009. Close to 2 1/2 years.
 
well if its worth going 2000mhz for a higher oc I might as well do it because the price is pretty much the same. The only downside is crappy timings for the 2000mhz 99924
 
well if its worth going 2000mhz for a higher oc I might as well do it because the price is pretty much the same. The only downside is crappy timings for the 2000mhz 99924

Yeah you're overspending:
$145 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Not gonna a difference between the lower latency DDR3 1600 and the above set.
 
well i'd like to get the highest oc possible on air so if i need 2ghz memory then i might as well get it.
 
Sorry for being a pain, but I just wanna do it right the first time. Also that's an excellent review, thanks.
 
Sorry for being a pain, but I just wanna do it right the first time. Also that's an excellent review, thanks.

I know you want to do right but there's a huge difference between doing something right and wasting money. Again, look back to your Asus Rampage purchase. Going for DDR3 2000 RAM is akin to that, man.
 
Just purchased the ram and h50. When I receive the h50 should the thermal compound already present on the block be replaced by arctic silver 5?
 
Ok, so I decided I would test my system for stability. I ran the LinX test for 25m and it failed at 11m-10s for some reason. This cpu has been overclocked since day 1 and I've never had any problems, what could be wrong?


 
How would you power a board that has 2 8-pin power connections for the cpu?

You either A) get a new PSU that has two 8Pin EPS12V connectors or B) use a molex to EPS12V adapter.
 
I haven't found a psu with 2 8-pins and are the molex to 8-pin realiable?
Molex to 8Pin seems reliable. As for PSUs with 2 x 8Pin EPS12V, you typically see those on high-end PSUs such as the Seasonic X-650 and X-750 PSUs and the Enermax Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W PSU.


Yup that's what I was referring to.
 
I can't decide on an X58 motherboard, could you recommend me a few good ones?

*sigh*

So you still want to go the Core i7 930 route even though it is not a good buy for the money for a pure gaming PC with only 1-2 GPUS? Any reason as to why the Core i7's additional costs of $200 to $300 is justified for you?
 
*sigh*

So you still want to go the Core i7 930 route even though it is not a good buy for the money for a pure gaming PC with only 1-2 GPUS? Any reason as to why the Core i7's additional costs of $200 to $300 is justified for you?

Why do you seem to take it personally?
 
Back
Top