Should I return it ?

narsbars

2[H]4U
I ordered an Asus x 570-P from the egg.
The MB box was not sealed, the static bag was not sealed, there was no protective cover over the CPU pins.
The box looked fine and I could not find any obvious damage. Should I put off my upgrade and return this unit?
Complained to the Egg and they blew it off. I am still within my 30 days.
All opinions appreciated.

First question is are you happy with the mobo, does it work, and are all the parts there (check the manual for a list)?
Theres generally not protectors on the AM4 mobos, its probably fine overall.
That said if the seal was truly broken I would consider the mobo used (which on the egg is listed price of $127.99), you could try complaining up the chain a bit and seeing if you can at least get equivalent store credit or something.
That said if you return it you're still gonna pay a restocking fee, so as long as it works use those 30 days to test it out.

Alternatively if it really does bother you return the product and depending on how you paid play hardball and say I want a new in box board or a full refund.
If they try to charge the restocking and they refuse ~ report to your payment provider to get your full amount back.

I ordered an Asus x 570-P from the egg. The MB box was not sealed, the static bag was not sealed, there was no protective cover over the CPU pins.

That is how they come from ASUS. No seals on the box, no seals on the anti-static bag.
You can't damage AM4 socket by touching it. There's no protective cover over the socket because the pins are on the CPU.

That is how they come from ASUS. No seals on the box, no seals on the anti-static bag.
You can't damage AM4 socket by touching it. There's no protective cover over the socket because the pins are on the CPU.
Unless its different in other countries, the unboxing videos I saw had a seal on the box (not the mobo tho) TBF thats a basic seal dot could be placed on there by a retail store too though:

The MB box was not sealed, the static bag was not sealed, there was no protective cover over the CPU pins.
The box looked fine and I could not find any obvious damage. Should I put off my upgrade and return this unit?
That all sounds normal. There's usually a little piece of tape on the anti-static bag to hold it closed, but i've never seen a motherboard bag that's actually sealed, and the boxes don't usually have a seal either. As others have, said, AM4 boards don't have a cover over the socket like LGA-type boards do, because there's nothing delicate sticking out to get damaged.

If the board is working for you, just use it and enjoy it.

Thanks for all the replies. I was concerned about the situation and had not put the CPU in the board until I ran it by the H forum members.
I will build it this coming weekend.

MB boxes are not sealed. AMD AM4 sockets don't need a cover. Static bag usually are not sealed on MB. And ofc they blew you off, you are making mass assumptions to be fair.

I'm assuming you haven't purchased a new motherboard? Virtually every motherboard I have was never "sealed" in the box, at the most the anti static bag has a little sticker holding it closed and AMD CPU sockets don't have any "pins" to cover up. The pins are on the CPU itself which is sold separately.

MB boxes are not sealed. AMD AM4 sockets don't need a cover. Static bag usually are not sealed on MB. And ofc they blew you off, you are making mass assumptions to be fair.
This. Don't fret, yes some boxes have seals but not all. Sealed anti-static bags are not common and by sealed; meaning a piece of sign written tape or sticker, to close it for smaller components and often with ESD warnings.
Test it first.

I'm assuming you haven't purchased a new motherboard? Virtually every motherboard I have was never "sealed" in the box, at the most the anti static bag has a little sticker holding it closed and AMD CPU sockets don't have any "pins" to cover up. The pins are on the CPU itself which is sold separately.
I have purchased a number of boards, not in the last four years, and I usually found at least the ESD was sealed.
Thanks for all the replies. I was concerned about the situation and had not put the CPU in the board until I ran it by the H forum members.
I will build it this coming weekend.

I think the only board I've gotten with a sealed bag was an itx board. Every ATX board I've gotten was in an oversized bag, folded twice and held closed with tape.

I think the only board I've gotten with a sealed bag was an itx board. Every ATX board I've gotten was in an oversized bag, folded twice and held closed with tape.
Maybe failing memory? I have had sticks go bad, maybe one of my internal connections has a loose solder joint :( :( :(

That's probably for cost reasons... one size bag to rule them all and only one bag to procure from yore supplier.

On the topic of non-sealed MB boxes... I think its been industry standard for decades.

THIIS is why I opened this to the forum. You think you know something, maybe you remember it wrong and worry about nothing.
Just be prepared to eat crow when you find out you were wrong :) :) :)
Looking forward to building the rig this weekend.

I just checked my ASUS WS X570-ACE box and I see no evidence of seals on the box or the antistatic bag.

Rebuilt my system back in August as well as building my son's first system at the same time. We both had ASUS AM4 motherboards. The boxes weren't sealed and there wasn't even tape on the anti-static bag. That's normal and has been for as long as I can remember. As also stated there was no covering on the CPU socket but that's because it's not needed. These were the first systems I've built in years and at first when I noticed no covering for the socket my heart skipped a beat. Then I noticed and remembered AMD doesn't use LGA for the CPU/socket and it wasn't an issue.

It's been like that. In fact, every single motherboard, regardless of the manufacturer, that I have purchased over at least the past decade and a half did not come in a sealed box at all (or more specifically, the boxes that they came in were completely unsealed). And these motherboards did not have even a piece of tape sealing their anti-static bags.

And my current Prime X570-P was the first AMD motherboard that I have purchased since the Socket 939 Athlon 64 x2 days. In between, every single motherboard that I have purchased have been Intel boards.

With that said, I have come to realize that compared to the Intel platforms that I have worked with over the years, my current Ryzen 3000-series Zen2 platform has so far been relatively picky about memory. Most DDR4 DIMMS do not have the command rate (1T or 2T) programmed into their SPDs at all - not even in their XMP profiles. The last memory kit that I purchased that had a forced 2T command rate programmed into the SPD's XMP profile was back in the days of DDR3-1600 (Intel Haswell-era) memory. Worse, my X570-P defaults to "AUTO" on the command rate selection, which might have been the cause of my stability issues at maximum rated speed of the RAM. And since this RAM that I have now (a 64 GB kit of G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600) is dual-ranked, I knew that I should have manually selected 2T on the command rate. On the default AUTO, the command rate actually hunts back and forth between 1T and 2T, which is part of the reason for the random reboots even when nothing is going on. And at the 3600 memory speed with this particular kit, my system isn't entirely stable at the 1T command rate (which is the reason for the back-and-forth hunting to begin with).

Last edited:
It's been like that. In fact, every single motherboard, regardless of the manufacturer, that I have purchased over at least the past decade and a half did not come in a sealed box at all (or more specifically, the boxes that they came in were completely unsealed). And these motherboards did not have even a piece of tape sealing their anti-static bags.

And my current Prime X570-P was the first AMD motherboard that I have purchased since the Socket 939 Athlon 64 x2 days. In between, every single motherboard that I have purchased have been Intel boards.

With that said, I have come to realize that compared to the Intel platforms that I have worked with over the years, my current Ryzen 3000-series Zen2 platform has so far been relatively picky about memory. Most DDR4 DIMMS do not have the command rate (1T or 2T) programmed into their SPDs at all - not even in their XMP profiles. The last one that I purchased that had a forced 2T command rate programmed into the SPD was back in the days of DDR3-1600 (Intel Haswell-era) memory. Worse, my X570-P defaults to "AUTO" on the command rate selection, which might have been the cause of my stability issues at maximum rated speed of the RAM. And since this RAM that I have now (a 64 GB kit of G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600) is dual-ranked, I knew that I should have manually selected 2T on the command rate. On the default AUTO, the command rate actually hunts back and forth between 1T and 2T, which is part of the reason for the random reboots even when nothing is going on. And at the 3600 memory speed with this particular kit, my system isn't entirely stable at the 1T command rate (which is the reason for the back-and-forth hunting to begin with).
Big thanks!
I got some cheapie
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Sure hoping it runs, but your tips should help tremendously. Used to think I knew what I was doing but have not built a new rig in 4 or more years. I think that is six million dog years.

Big thanks!
I got some cheapie
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Sure hoping it runs, but your tips should help tremendously. Used to think I knew what I was doing but have not built a new rig in 4 or more years. I think that is six million dog years.
You should be able to use 1T on those memory sticks since nearly all 8 GB DIMMs these days are only single-ranked.

Back