Should I make the switch to Android?

Seamless integration with GV ... Talkatone for iPhone and GrooVe IP for Android.

Both are great.

I'll be back on my EVO tomorrow or Wed (waiting on replacement) and I'll definitely look at GrooVe IP (hopefully it wont be blocked on the carrier level like SipROID was), while minor I can think of better places to spend the $36/year than on skype :)

I wonder if Talkatone will work on iPod Touch to make it into a full VoIP phone... *goes off to experiment*

I'll be back on my EVO tomorrow or Wed (waiting on replacement) and I'll definitely look at GrooVe IP (hopefully it wont be blocked on the carrier level like SipROID was), while minor I can think of better places to spend the $36/year than on skype :)

I wonder if Talkatone will work on iPod Touch to make it into a full VoIP phone... *goes off to experiment*
Talkatone's call quality is atrocious and has ads. Groundwire uses better codecs (and you can choose different ones) and allows the touch to be used as a full VoIP phone. I use it with my sipGate account to use my touch 4g as my home phone since I haven't had a landline for years.

I didn't like SIPDroid's UI. I haven't tried GrooVe IP, but GVCallback does the same thing with a gv account and cm7 has built in sip support. I'll try GrooVe but I don't like using different dialers. DialerOne is just too nice and powerful for me to use anything else :)

Talkatone's call quality is atrocious and has ads. Groundwire uses better codecs (and you can choose different ones) and allows the touch to be used as a full VoIP phone. I use it with my sipGate account to use my touch 4g as my home phone since I haven't had a landline for years.

I didn't like SIPDroid's UI. I haven't tried GrooVe IP, but GVCallback does the same thing with a gv account and cm7 has built in sip support. I'll try GrooVe but I don't like using different dialers. DialerOne is just too nice and powerful for me to use anything else :)
Both Talkatone and GrooVe IP are really bandwidth dependent, best used over a decent wifi connection. My experience using them over 3G has been hit or miss.

Zorachus said:
I can wrap up this thread right now. Do not make a decision on a new phone yet, until the two HUGE releases are officially revealed; Apple's iPhone5 on October 4th, and Google/Androids new Nexus device on October 11th. See what both devices will be like, and their OS updates etc...then make a decision after that.

QFT

While I think both of the phones will only be relativly minor upgrades from their previous editions, I cannot begin to explain the hype behind so many of these devices and it flops (EVO 3D is a prime example - though most people on here knew the 3D would be a gimmic)

What are you two's opinion on iPhone 4S vs Android with today's Apple release info? Assume Nexus wasn't releasing anything for a while.

What do you mean Nexus isn't releasing anything for a while? Nexus is just a Google brand/pseudo-product line quasi-annual hardware showcase... And they're more than likely announcing a new one at next week's Samsung event.

The 4S was mildly underwhelming for me personally, because they aren't doing absolutely anything with it that isn't already being done by manufacturers elsewhere... But it's a great upgrade for those who favor iOS. I just dunno how well it's gonna hold up over the course of a year when it's just achieving parity at the moment. I really expected Apple to offer a 4" model or at least a 3.7" that made better use of the current model's face, but adding another aspect ratio is probably more trouble than it's worth on iOS right now

Siri looks interesting, I guess we'll find out soon if it's overhyped or the next step up in voice control... Frankly I'm pretty skeptic, specially if the claim that they're doing all the processing on board is actually true (rather than thru the cloud as Google/MS). If it requires so little processing power AND it really is revolutionary why haven't they implemented something similar on Mac OS? They've got the integrated apps to build it around of... Why even limit it to voice only? Anyway, This Is My Next's ritual on the subject was pretty good.

What do you mean Nexus isn't releasing anything for a while? Nexus is just a Google brand/pseudo-product line quasi-annual hardware showcase... And they're more than likely announcing a new one at next week's Samsung event.

The 4S was mildly underwhelming for me personally, because they aren't doing absolutely anything with it that isn't already being done by manufacturers elsewhere... But it's a great upgrade for those who favor iOS. I just dunno how well it's gonna hold up over the course of a year when it's just achieving parity at the moment. I really expected Apple to offer a 4" model or at least a 3.7" that made better use of the current model's face, but adding another aspect ratio is probably more trouble than it's worth on iOS right now

Siri looks interesting, I guess we'll find out soon if it's overhyped or the next step up in voice control... Frankly I'm pretty skeptic, specially if the claim that they're doing all the processing on board is actually true (rather than thru the cloud as Google/MS). If it requires so little processing power AND it really is revolutionary why haven't they implemented something similar on Mac OS? They've got the integrated apps to build it around of... Why even limit it to voice only? Anyway, This Is My Next's ritual on the subject was pretty good.

I was hoping they made one at 1024x768 and near 4.3 inches or so. Nearly the same PPI, but already supported on iPad. Add in the A5, it would of been wonders. Instead, same old, same old. Now the only remaining Apple product I cared about, the iPod touch, is... not even upgraded in any meaningful sense, IMO.

That'd be a different and more square aspect ratio though... No? They're already using a narrower (or shorter) screen than most phones, with thick bezels up top and below, not sure they could push it further without a drastic redesign. I do wonder how long they're gonna keep it up with 3.5" tho, even the Air comes in multiple sizes.

I bet they'll keep it up until they can get the same or better battery life with a larger screen

Siri looks interesting, I guess we'll find out soon if it's overhyped or the next step up in voice control... Frankly I'm pretty skeptic, specially if the claim that they're doing all the processing on board is actually true (rather than thru the cloud as Google/MS). If it requires so little processing power AND it really is revolutionary why haven't they implemented something similar on Mac OS? They've got the integrated apps to build it around of... Why even limit it to voice only?
Lion uses speech to text from Nuance and I'm not sure what more you want Siri to do when you say it's limited to voice only.

Last edited:
Back