Should I make the switch to Android?

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Okay, I'm going to try my absolute best to not make this a iPhone vs. Android flame fest, I'm hoping the thread will close if it comes to that. Anyways.

I've been using a iPhone for years and while its a great device I think I'm getting a little bored and thinking of doing a deep dive into Android. I have gotten to demo the Incredible and Droid X a year ago (I'm a verizon employee) and they seemed like pretty solid devices, I mostly just use my phone for everyday phone tasks and lots of web browsing.

I like my iPhone because my car has a built in iPod connector, but if I got a android phone i'd use one of my old iPods for music instead. I also have built in GPS in my car, so Android nav wouldn't help me much either.

But I like the idea of things like Swype, 4G, bigger screen, more customization and widgets. I'm open enough to root my phone or learn about it, that also seems intriguing.

I do like the battery life and ease of use, and applications it has. They seem very professionally done where as Android apps i've been told seem like "ports" .. I don't know if thats true or not.

I've heard people say if you're tech savvy a Android is more fun to have because you can do more with it. It just seems like I've hit a ceiling on the iPhone and I can't do much more on it then what is offered. Although it does everything really great. I guess maybe I should wait for iOS5 / iPhone 5 and then make a decision, but I'm seeing if you guys have any input that would sway me to Android. I would get the Bionic, the phone seems extremely attractive to me.

Definitely wait for the iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime before making a decision. I went from iPhone 3GS to Android (Incredible) and enjoyed using it. Over time, though, I grew bored with customizing and trying different ROMs. I tried the new BB 9930, but returned it the next day. That's all it took to remind me why I dropped BB years ago. I'll choose the iPhone 5 or Nexus for my next phone.

I think it's a toss up between iOS & Android. Both are extremely stable & polished at this point. I would give Apple a slight edge as there is no fragmentation.

For me, there are 2 must haves, a 4"+ high res display & LTE (not the made up 4G). I was actually thinking of going with the iPhone 5 this time around. Now I'm hearing Apple is sticking with the 3.5" display, & no LTE for at least another year. If true, it's a deal breaker for me.

I'm shocked you work for Verizon and have not toyed with Android.

as others have said, wait until ice cream sandwich and iphone 5

after that, just pick your winner (after spending some time in the stores playing with the display phones of course)

as easy as it gets :)

I think it's a toss up between iOS & Android. Both are extremely stable & polished at this point. I would give Apple a slight edge as there is no fragmentation.

For me, there are 2 must haves, a 4"+ high res display & LTE (not the made up 4G). I was actually thinking of going with the iPhone 5 this time around. Now I'm hearing Apple is sticking with the 3.5" display, & no LTE for at least another year. If true, it's a deal breaker for me.

I'm shocked you work for Verizon and have not toyed with Android.

If Apple doesn't make the iPhone5 screen 4" or larger, there is no way I am going back then. I want the bigger screen, and Widgets mainly, if neither of those, will most likely get the U.S. Galaxy S2.

I used a phone for a while and I like android better. Ios is good, stable and always works, android needs some tinkering sometimes

I used a phone for a while and I like android better. Ios is good, stable and always works, android needs some tinkering sometimes

and hence my bipolar love/hate of android. I thought I left this behind when I stopped cooking winmo roms just to make crap work. :(

Well I have used an iPhone for 1 year now and its kinda lame. You cant do much with it as you can with any android phones! I am definitely buying android phone now, probably the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Jo

Nokia will some stellar Windows Phone 7 phones soon. Any love for WP7 out there? Simple, clean and elegant... loving my Venue Pro.

Definitely wait for the iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime before making a decision. I went from iPhone 3GS to Android (Incredible) and enjoyed using it. Over time, though, I grew bored with customizing and trying different ROMs. I tried the new BB 9930, but returned it the next day. That's all it took to remind me why I dropped BB years ago. I'll choose the iPhone 5 or Nexus for my next phone.

Let me get this straight. You had an iPhone, a phone you cant customize. Then you went to an Android phone, a phone in which your customization options are only limited by your imagination. You got board with that and now your going back to a phone that you can't customize? I don't even know how to respond to that. And to top that, you made the remark on a site that specializes hardware customization. I'm just....wow.

Let me get this straight. You had an iPhone, a phone you cant customize. Then you went to an Android phone, a phone in which your customization options are only limited by your imagination. You got board with that and now your going back to a phone that you can't customize? I don't even know how to respond to that. And to top that, you made the remark on a site that specializes hardware customization. I'm just....wow.
I'll try to make things simpler for you...

I had an iPhone. It can be customized with this deep dark secret called... jailbreaking. :eek: I did so and was satisfied with my iPhone for about a year.

As Android grew in capability and popularity, I decided it might be cool to try this new fully customizable OS. Bought an HTC Incredible, sold my iPhone. For the next 8 months or so I tried all kinds of different mods/settings on my rooted Inc. It was fun, but the novelty wore out and I found better things to do with my time than scour XDA for the latest, greatest mod. I haven't changed my phone's settings since March.

So, here I am looking to upgrade my 18 month old Inc. One day trying the BB 9930 was enough to remind me why I left BB years ago. My top 2 candidates are iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime. I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice.

Now, I realize this was a lot for you to read. If it proved too painful for your little mind, feel free to return to your finger paints and Play-Doh.

BTW, you don't customize the phone's hardware; Android is software. And, it's bored, not board. :rolleyes:

I'll try to make things simpler for you...

I had an iPhone. It can be customized with this deep dark secret called... jailbreaking. :eek: I did so and was satisfied with my iPhone for about a year.

As Android grew in capability and popularity, I decided it might be cool to try this new fully customizable OS. Bought an HTC Incredible, sold my iPhone. For the next 8 months or so I tried all kinds of different mods/settings on my rooted Inc. It was fun, but the novelty wore out and I found better things to do with my time than scour XDA for the latest, greatest mod. I haven't changed my phone's settings since March.

So, here I am looking to upgrade my 18 month old Inc. One day trying the BB 9930 was enough to remind me why I left BB years ago. My top 2 candidates are iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime. I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice.

Now, I realize this was a lot for you to read. If it proved too painful for your little mind, feel free to return to your finger paints and Play-Doh.

BTW, you don't customize the phone's hardware; Android is software. And, it's bored, not board. :rolleyes:

Wow, really? Fair enough. But I also have a Dinc. Maybe my little mind is too used to finger paints or, that I'm a little better at customizing my phone to give it up for a sheep herder that is the iphone. But by all means waste your money as you see fit. :p

Bottom line there will be two top dog phones released in Oct/Nov; iPhone5 and Nexus-Prime. We have a pretty good feel for what the Prime will be = Super-Smartphone with best in class spec's and the all new next gen Android OS. iPhone5 not sure really, it could just be a spec bump iPhone4S, or maybe Apple grew a pair and will actually release a major update with a larger screen, widgets, 1.5ghz dual core... etc...but at least it can be jailbreaked to allow much more customizing.

Personally I would lean towards the Nexus-Prime as being the better phone, but it really depends what Apple really has in store for the iPhone5.

If you are already a current Verizon customer, then no question wait for the Nexus-Prime, not sure I recommend anyone to switch carriers just for one phone, but the Prime will be on Verizon first, so you are lucky :)

I think it boils down to this really. If you just want your phone to work right out if the box iphone, if you like to tinker then get something android

I think it boils down to this really. If you just want your phone to work right out if the box iphone, if you like to tinker then get something android

or if you want your phone to work out of the box AND tinker with it, get an iphone & jailbreak it :)

As a former iPhone owner converted to Android I will never go back. You mentioned Android apps being ports....I haven't experienced that. Most applications that I used on the iPhone are exactly the same on Android.

You will be happy with either OS but the ability to use a standard micro USB, not needing iTunes, and the open video support was the deciding factor. It's nice not needing to carry around special cables and being able to drag and drop any video/music file in any format, on any computer, in any size without converting it first and being able to play it natively is worth it by itself. Little things like that make using Android phones a much better experience but in the end it's all up to what you value. Android isn't for everybody just like iOS isn't for everybody.

As someone who made the switch in Janurary (Samsung Fascinate) I will be going back to iPhone 5 as soon as my contract allows.

Android isnt bad, and it does some things quite well, but to be frank the customizability of the platform is a overblown positive. Yes, I have enjoyed throwing ROMS on my phone to try different things, but after a little while you dont care anymore. You just want your phone to work. iOS is the best when it comes to that, and its the reason ill be going back. The iPhone just always works. Applications very very very rarely have to be forced closed (not that its common on Android, but def more so than iOS) and most companies put effort into the iOS app before the android app.

You will be happy with either OS but the ability to use a standard micro USB, not needing iTunes, and the open video support was the deciding factor. It's nice not needing to carry around special cables and being able to drag and drop any video/music file in any format, on any computer, in any size without converting it first and being able to play it natively is worth it by itself. Little things like that make using Android phones a much better experience but in the end it's all up to what you value. Android isn't for everybody just like iOS isn't for everybody.
Removable batteries.

I wouldn't bank my decision on widgets. They were fun for about a week and after the novelty wore off the battery hit became prohibitive. The only time I remove my battery in my Captivate is when it locks up (and while it's not very frequent compared to the early android days, even 5 times a year is enough to piss me off compared to the zero times iPhones lock up during everyday usage).

I like the 4" screen on my Captivate but I had to strip it so bare to get near enough to my old iPhone 4's battery life that it really robs a lot of joy out of the android experience. Without a good, tweaked ROM every android based phone I've seen was sluggish compared to my 3Gs--the OS noticeably and the pinch/zoom painfully.

When people say the apps look ported they're not talking about performance. They're talking about the UI. Think of comparing Word to OpenOffice. Or Windows disk management to linux gparted. Some apps are just plain ugly and almost all are just a bit "off" compared to the graphics and smoothness of iOS apps.

If you haven't used OSX then you might not really enjoy the value of having every UI element in the same place. Or you may have used iPhones enough to want them in your mobile experience. Regardless, more often than not android apps will have buttons where you don't expect them. Functions will not necessarily be in the same place from app to app. The four buttons on the phone usually work the same across apps (when they actually work correctly in your ROM--and that's not a given) but they aren't even always in the same order across phone vendors. Then different apps will have soft buttons wherever they please--often replicating the capacitive buttons unnecessarily.

The iPhones home button, as much as people bemoan the single button, has always done the same thing no matter where you are or what app you're in for the past 5 years and it won't ever change. There's something to be said for consistency in a UI--particularly a phone UI and especially if you want to use it on the road.

As for the silly argument about proprietary stuff: I don't have any other devices that use micro usb so if I want to plug my phone into my stereo on the road or at home I have to use the cable that came with the device or the white cable that came with my iDevice. It's a toss up--except for the fact that not every android device uses micro usb (compared to my old iPhones and iPods all use the same cable) and I haven't found a car stereo that will control an android device natively. Not that it matters because I haven't found a custom ROM that works in a car anyway.

For that matter, I haven't found a custom ROM that handled music well enough for me to care about the ease of putting songs on an sdcard directly via usb. The one time I tried it my library got all jacked up. But I use grooveshark anyway (sometimes pandora when I'm exceptionally lazy) so that's been rendered moot about a year ago. Every movie I ever recorded with my idevice always played on another idevice. That's not the case with android. I still have videos that were recorded on my captivate that I can't play on my captivate because of some ROM codec issues.

building for android is fun. in the same way that watching text fill the screen when I'm compiling something related to gentoo. I don't use gentoo anymore but when I did compiling was mesmerizing. sometimes I miss it but I really don't or I'd be using it still. I think the main reason I stay on my android phone is because of google voice integration and I refuse to pay for texting.

Look into windows phones too. I recently got a phone and never thought to look at the windows phones. Since then i've researched them extensive and they are pretty damn slick. I am quite impressed.

I do have an android phone now and my wife has an iphone. I also have an ipad and touch.

Android is great for two reasons, a back button and you can choose default apps. If ios had that I would have stayed there. Such a little thing to have a back button yet it's so great. And the ability to make a default web browser? Awesome!
But android feels rather disjointed and cluttered. ios and wp7 very clean and easy to use. No muss, no fuss. Less freedom though.

Honestly i'm considering selling my android and getting a samsung focus s when it comes out.

I think the main reason I stay on my android phone is because of google voice integration and I refuse to pay for texting.

The google voice app on android works the exact same way as the app on ios and wp7. I use it on android and ios. I don't pay for texting. In fact no one has my cell number. I gave out only my google voice number.
My wife uses it on her iphone. Voicemails and texting work fine.

Last edited:
Someone said he hasn't seen a car head unit that interfaces with Android, huh? Ever heard of Bluetooth? The joy of gettin in my car, hitting play on my steering wheel and listening to music straight from the phone in my pocket is great... And unlike iOS, the BT stack isn't bungled so that you can't skip tracks with standard controls. Has Apple ever fixed that? I haven't updated my iPod touch in a while since I just use it for music now. Apple is just milking the accessory industry with their royalty laden propietary connector, it's unnecessary.

I like Android because almost anything I don't like about it I can change. Did the manufacturer of your phone screw up the headset button controls? There's apps to change that, don't even have to root. Want Pandora to play instead of the stock player when you press play on your car? You got it. Don't like the kb? Dozens of options. I like Swype on my phone and Swiftkey's thumb kb config on the tablet (excellent prediction engine). Widgets are NOT battery hogs if you set some proper update intervals... I practically spend like 20% of my time in the Pure grid calender widget... Scrollable RSS feed widgets are nice too.

Then there's the plethora of hardware choices (sizes, kb or not, different screen techs) and options like storage expandability, HDMI mirroring, 3D cameras, etc. The former is incredibly useful, HDMI cables and inputs are still far more common than DNLA or Airplay or whatever other wireless tech... GV integration is pretty awesome too, having a second phone number with ultra configurable filters, call forwarding to other #s, and custom greetings can be mighty useful. I'd mention the far superior notification system but I know iOS 5 will finally address that, I dunno how anyone lives with the current iOS pop up system without turning half their notifications off.

Last time I picked up my phone tonight I had email notifications from two different apps, a package tracking app notification, a missed call + VM, txt, FB, and an Amazon app store reminder for the free app of the day, I could choose to ignore it all and it'd still be waiting for me on the status bar later...

iOS is simpler and more intuitive, that's primarily what it's got going for it if you ask me. Android's UI CAN be puzzling if you're not a techy, that star on the corner of Google Maps locations doesn't necessarily look like a way to add a favorite, long pressing or hitting menu within apps isn't instantly intuitive, etc. To me much of that is obvious after looking at the screen for two seconds, but I know others could stare at it blankly for days without discovering similar things. The UI lacks a bit of consistency, iOS is better at that, even iOS apps in general tend to be more homogenous.

For some people, that far outshadows any extra versatility or personalization on Android. Me? I quite enjoy custom ROMs that give devices new life, and playing SNES and N64 emulators with a Bluetooth controller, and being able to store anything on the phone over USB and then email it thru a proper directory structure / file browser, and being able to view Flash content (Daily Show!), etc etc.

Personally, if I was gonna try something else I'd give Win Phone 7 a stab... MS is sorta toe'ing the line between the iOS approach and Android, it's still a few steps behind either but I think in the long run they could actually be Android's biggest competition... iOS will probably always have a corner of the market, but I'm not sure there's room for 2-3 other players (though let's face it, without a miracle RIM hasn't got a prayer). I actually liked webOS a lot too, best multi tasking of the bunch by far, too bad HP squandered all that potential.

Last edited:

Between widgets and completely custom launchers there's plenty of similar efforts on Android. Look at Wave Launcher which can work over an existing launcher, or look at some of the projects that transform the look into a WP7 tile-like arrangement with custom notification bars and everything... I'm a stickler for good old ADW (smooth, plenty of options) but there's plenty of off the wall stuff like that too.

Between widgets and completely custom launchers there's plenty of similar efforts on Android. Look at Wave Launcher which can work over an existing launcher, or look at some of the projects that transform the look into a WP7 tile-like arrangement with custom notification bars and everything... I'm a stickler for good old ADW (smooth, plenty of options) but there's plenty of off the wall stuff like that too.

I'm sure, but I have yet to see anything that detailed or complex on Android.

My main point is that you can do anything on iOS too. A jb iPhone is just as customizable as an Android phone. As long as someone is willing to program it, it can be done. There’s probably more armature devs for Android then iOS, but stop tooting the customization horn when the two platforms are equally customizable with a root or jailbreak.

All that customization PLUS the best resolution PLUS the best apps PLUS the best music service PLUS the best battery life PLUS the smoothest UI PLUS the best graphics performance PLUS....the list goes on. Maybe the notion of a bunch of brainwashed apple lovers doesn't exist after all, and the iPhone really is just that good?

The Android OS itself is already that "detailed."

My main point is that you can do anything on iOS too. A jb iPhone is just as customizable as an Android phone. As long as someone is willing to program it, it can be done. There’s probably more armature devs for Android then iOS, but stop tooting the customization horn when the two platforms are equally customizable with a root or jailbreak.
Already proven to be false. Sure, there are plenty that a jailbroken iPhone can do. Most of those things don't even require a rooted Android phone. But there are many things that the iOS cannot do where the Android can. Where as there are few things that the Androind can't where the iPhone can.

All that customization PLUS the best resolution PLUS the best apps PLUS the best music service PLUS the best battery life PLUS the smoothest UI PLUS the best graphics performance PLUS....the list goes on. Maybe the notion of a bunch of brainwashed apple lovers doesn't exist after all, and the iPhone really is just that good?
Best resolution... for now... but best screen still belongs to Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus. (Just like to also mention a way better camera and video recording capabilities too - and it's not just the resolutions)
Best music service? Really? Seriously?
Best battery life? I'm pretty sure a feature phone has the best battery life. The Samsung Galaxy II also has a better battery life than the iPhone 4.
Best UI? No widgets, no "live hubs" - why, I think those plain icons has been around since 1994.
Best graphic performance? Pretty sure WP7 already destroyed the iphone 4 benchmarks.

the iPhone 4 is still a good phone. Just don't say it's the best anything without the evidence to back it up.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say *as* customizable, considering with Android you can actually mess with the internals of the OS, like the kernel and basic OS files, and even install things like X11, but you are right in the sense that iOS is more hackable than it seems like at first glance...

iOS 5 seems to be a step in the right direction for Apple, with proper notifications finally making an appearance, but I worry that if Apple really does succeed in killing off easy jailbreaks that one of the best features for the enthusiast community will be killed as well...

Time will tell I suppose.... one thing is for certain... with Android 3.5/4.0, and iOS 5 out this fall, this winter is going to be an exciting time for smartphone buyers.....
...and the vultures like me who will pick up the discarded scraps on eBay :)

Someone said he hasn't seen a car head unit that interfaces with Android, huh? Ever heard of Bluetooth? The joy of gettin in my car, hitting play on my steering wheel and listening to music straight from the phone in my pocket is great... And unlike iOS, the BT stack isn't bungled so that you can't skip tracks with standard controls. Has Apple ever fixed that? I haven't updated my iPod touch in a while since I just use it for music now. Apple is just milking the accessory industry with their royalty laden propietary connector, it's unnecessary.
Of course I've heard of bluetooth. This may surprise you, but the range of head units (including receivers in the home and portable accessories) that natively control an iDevice outnumber those that can use bluetooth by orders of magnitude numbering in the hundreds.

coupled with the fact that "android" doesn't implement "bluetooth" in some monolithic fashion other than providing an ability--functionality, however, is controlled by drivers that are proprietary for each vendor's device. Some devices aren't capable of using bluetooth for anything other than calls--and they'll never be updated to do anything more. Some devices can't do anything with music other than streaming--and they'll never be updated with more functionality either. Many devices can't even reliably use bluetooth at all because the drivers aren't open sourced--unless of course you're not using an AOSP ROM. In that case, all the touting about customizability and free/open-ness goes out the window.

The fact that you can use your android device in your car with wireless controls from your steering wheel is the rare situation of everything working and not the norm when it comes to using android devices in car audio. And the simple fact of the matter is if all that works in your car then if I get a ride with you I know for a fact I can connect my iPod into your car and it will work but I can almost guarantee that my samsung captivate on cm7 will not work at all, and definitely isn't capable of being controlled by your steering wheel.

And that's the main difference between android and iOS--not simplicity but consistency. this constants conflation of consistency with simplicity is a numbing argument that falls flatter than you claim Apple users' logic.

It's as pointless as the argument about the cable. How are they milking the industry? The cables are free when you purchase a device. And unlike my Samsung devices (which by the way have changed interfaces three times across 8 different products) the current iDevices can use the same cables from the past two decades. If you break the cable you can replace it at an Apple store, always been free for me but YMMV, and if you lose it you buy a new one...same as mini (or is your device using micro?) USB. Not to mention the technical differences between Apple's interface and a serial bus, which I find it strange that people consistently ignore on a board like this that prides itself on being savvy about technical specs.

:eek::eek::eek: Have you ever USED iTunes? Its one big fuster-cluck nightmare. Am I missing something here?

Yeah you probably are missing something. iTunes is the most celebrated music provider in the world. Its super easy and simple to use.

Now in the past 3 years as an iphone user have I had problems with the software itself? Minor ones back in 2008. Nothing lately.

iTunes easily and completely backs up the phone with no user interaction. iOS5 will have wifi backup. I've had phones break. I take it into the Apple store, they give me a new one, I go home, and within 5 minutes everything is exactly how I left it. If I typed some letters in the search field, they're there. If I was on a certain webpage, its there. Everything exact. 100% success rate.

But the original point was iTunes as a music service. Absolutely unmatched. The content level is #1. Ease of use is #1. Great prices. Now DRM free. The iTunes app on the iPhone is superb, and is linked in with shazam etc. It makes paying for music fun. All your music from other sources still play perfectly with iTunes.

The very first time I used it I had to get used to the idea of creating a playlist, then syncing the list with the phone. Got used to it in about 10 minutes.

Of course I've heard of bluetooth. This may surprise you, but the range of head units (including receivers in the home and portable accessories) that natively control an iDevice outnumber those that can use bluetooth by orders of magnitude numbering in the hundreds.

Pretty much any non-shit car comes with BT now, even Civics and Ford Fiestas. I think saying Apple's proprietary and royalty burdened connector is more common is a gross overestimation. As for everything else, I haven't seen a single Android phone that can't stream music over BT. Maybe a Hero or G1 of two years ago had trouble with that, but any current Samsung, LG, HTV or Moto phone can do it, I guarantee you. Oh and there's plenty of customizing to do even on non-AOSP ROMs...

The BT stack on iOS has never properly supported the standard BT music controls that the vast majority of Android phones do, period... And this isn't even some holy grail of Android, my last two feature phones were capable of the same exact thing, lol. A Sony Ericsson and a Nokia. You're spreading FUD.

Apple is miking the industry because ANY device or accessory that uses their propietary port pays them licensing fees to use it, if you can't see how they're raking it in thru all the crap overpriced docks I dunno what to say. I admire a few things about iOS and Apple design, but interoperability and their (lack of) BT functionality is not one. Can you even transfer a file from phone to phone over BT yet? Again, something even $10 feature phones can do.

Frankly your entire view of BT on Android seems based on one bad experience while running a custom ROM with poor drivers... Which isn't very accurate. Hell I'm not even claiming these abilities are something particular to Android, I'm sure webOS and/or WP7 can do the same, heck even plenty of feature phones. Just pointing out that if after all this time iOS can't do the same then Apple purposely crippled BT functionality. Gee, I wonder why? It's not like they don't have full control of drivers, after all.

P.S. iTunes can bite me... MediaMonkey >>> iTunes That's all I'll say about that, and Amazon's cloud service already offers everything Apple is promising with iCloud, except music matching, but they'll give you unlimited music storage for $5 less than whatever Apple's standard storage capacity. /shrug

Last edited:
Back