Should I install SP2?

Please please tell me I'm just mis-reading this, and it's not really one more thread asking about SP2!?!?! I guess the first thousand weren't enough. Sorry for the cocky answer, but all you have to do is point yourself to the Operating Systems forum, and you'll find more threads on this subject than there should be.

In those threads, you'll find links to the compatibility lists given by Microsoft. You didn't specify which firewall you have, so check it out there.

And I'll add that yes, it's worth it.

Don't make useless threads like this, instead use the Search Function at the top please.

Hmm, well I guess after being asking a hundred times my answer should change. So, no.

There are plenty of basic SP2 threads already that have covered this topic ad nauseam. Next time, may I recommend the search feature. Personally, I would install it, for the sake of keeping OS components current. The JPEG exploit is scary enough to warrant SP2 in favor of zealotous use of old code.

But since I'm nice, here are some threads to consider.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=807036
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=813455
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=809874
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=806109

so i took the plung and downloaded sp2.. it was downloading under the windows update icon in my task bar..the icon disapeared and i was not prompted with anything so i restarted.. again nothing came up.. what the hell happened? :mad: :confused: :(

I don't see any reason why not to install SP2 unless you have some critical app that has problems with it.

CrombieKid said:
so i took the plung and downloaded sp2.. it was downloading under the windows update icon in my task bar..the icon disapeared and i was not prompted with anything so i restarted.. again nothing came up.. what the hell happened? :mad: :confused: :(

Well, it doesn't sound like you got it, but lets check: right click My Computer> properties> does it say SP2 there?

Papa-Ming said:
Well, it doesn't sound like you got it, but lets check: right click My Computer> properties> does it say SP2 there?
nope, SP1.. im downloading it again.. still puzzles me though

Heres a problem that i had when i first tried SP2. I am using a dell with specs in sig, and dells come with their own version of windows only to be installed on dell computers. While anyways i have home edition and when i downloaded Sp2 the home edition disappeared on the windows screen when i loaded my computer. And it started slower so i uninstalled it. I am willing to give it another try but is it worth it? Or is Sp2 just not compatible with Dell computers?

Kevin003 said:
Heres a problem that i had when i first tried SP2. I am using a dell with specs in sig, and dells come with their own version of windows only to be installed on dell computers. While anyways i have home edition and when i downloaded Sp2 the home edition disappeared on the windows screen when i loaded my computer. And it started slower so i uninstalled it. I am willing to give it another try but is it worth it? Or is Sp2 just not compatible with Dell computers?

No. SP2 is compatible with any windows xp build installed on any computer...

Dont take me the wrong way, but you dont seem that knowledgeable on computers (judging on your questions...) so maybe it should be better that you get someone to reformat and do a clean install that includes sp2...

Service Pack 2 removes the "Home Edition" or "Professional Edition" from the startup logo. This is normal and expected behaviour, no cause for alarm.

The first time you launch Windows after installing SP2, yes - it will be slow. Your system is coming to terms with all of the changes made.

If, after the first time booting up (and a subsequent reboot), it still runs slowly: check for viruses and spyware.

UMCPWintermute said:
Service Pack 2 removes the "Home Edition" or "Professional Edition" from the startup logo. This is normal and expected behaviour, no cause for alarm.

The first time you launch Windows after installing SP2, yes - it will be slow. Your system is coming to terms with all of the changes made.

If, after the first time booting up (and a subsequent reboot), it still runs slowly: check for viruses and spyware.

Thank you very much i will install this while i am at school :)

Back