Should I get SP2?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I've heard some mixed opinions about it, things like it won't work with some games and programs. Should I get it or not?

you can opt to not get it now or have it forcebly installed on your pc come june-march 05 as microsoft is going to install it in every windows xp computer with broadband if you want it or not

Lyrids said:
Why . . .
There are a variety of reasons to upgrade, from the improved firewall, to all-in-one hotfix installation, new WLAN interface, etc, etc.......to infinity-the SP2 debate has been argued ad nauseam. However, maybe this thread is a good enough reason to upgrade and protect yourself.

As an SP2 user, it is worth it.

Here is Microsoft's list of reasons to upgrade.

Yes, you want to upgrade to SP2. Most of the problems I read about SP2 are actually the fault of software companies. They didn't test their software with SP2 and now they are behind with compatibility fixes. Microsoft is taking a huge step in trying to secure home PCs...even for people with no computer knowledge. It's a good thing, and should be embraced.

phaelinx said:
you can opt to not get it now or have it forcebly installed on your pc come june-march 05 as microsoft is going to install it in every windows xp computer with broadband if you want it or not

i had not heard this....linkage?

in answer to the question, its probably a good idea, with all the new bugs/hacks coming out. see the other threads talking about it as previously mentioned

Steel Chicken said:
i had not heard this....linkage?

in answer to the question, its probably a good idea, with all the new bugs/hacks coming out. see the other threads talking about it as previously mentioned

I haven't heard that either, and I'm not finding any links.

Technically true, though "forcibly" is a bit inaccurate. If you are set to download and install windows updates automatically, then it is going to come down and go right on. But if you choose to turn off automatic updating, it will have no way of "being forced on." So when that time comes around, if you still don't want it, turn off automatic updates.

Yes, Service Packs are not OPTIONAL. They contain security fixes above and beyond the firewall, pop-up blocker, and IE addons...
Here is MS' list of everything that has changedl.

The fixes in that list from ~82xxxx on are SP2 fixes (not new features), there are over 400 reasons to install SP2 on that list.h

Even if you don't get it Microsoft will force you to get through windows update. The only way not to get it is unplug your computer from the internet and leave it that way forever...

Get it, it's worth it.

MS can't force windows updates, and unless your saying they have some backdoor to force a patch...

That's a terribly inaccurate statement.

Phoenix86 said:
That's a terribly inaccurate statement.

Are you crazy...that never EVER happens here!!!! :)

Anyway, it cannot be forced, as others say, unless Auto Update is enabled, and set to automatically download and install.

Lyrids said:
Why . . .
i dont see why not, the worst possiable situation you have to reinstall windows, which should not be a problem since everyone keeps up to date backups of anyhing important.

djnes said:
Are you crazy...that never EVER happens here!!!! :)
Sometimes I think I'm going to give myself a flat head from hitting it agaist the desk so many times. That or be dumberer.

Back