Votes: 35 22.4%
  • no problems

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • gonna wait

Votes: 20 12.8%

• Total voters

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got through reading the thread on the SP2 update/worth it?
Had a potential for being informative.........
Dam egos, always in the way!!
Well lets keep it simple, Yes or no any problems?
If yes maybe post what happened and how you fixed the fix.
And lets stick to the fax man, nothing but the facts....Please :)

No probs on legacy hardware, modern hardware, and mobile (tablet, no less, which had most of the updates) hardware.

After multiple installs on mutiple machines in multiple different environments used for a multitude of different things... not a single issue. No surprise to me though because I RTW... (research the web) :) Do I get to vote all the extra times?

Really... what's with all the people waiting? Just create a restore point, and install the thing. If anything incredibly important refuses to work after installing sp2, just go back to the restore point.

Biggest problem I had was that I had an old version of StyleXP, but it really doesn't count. It was a simple fix of just installing a newer version.

None nada zip zero. And thats on three systems so far.

No probs on my computer. Cousin bought an OEM PC (Prescott) from futureshop (bleh) and SP2 is giving it troubles. But I haven't had any so far :)

3 boxes, One problem.
(all BTW same software config)
On my main box i cant get the interweb to work.
I did the uninstall of SP2 on this box, and it seems to be working, GAH

OldPueblo said:
After multiple installs on mutiple machines in multiple different environments used for a multitude of different things... not a single issue. No surprise to me though because I RTW... (research the web) :) Do I get to vote all the extra times?
I was gonna say that too. One personal desktop and two personal laptops of my own, as well as two VMWare installs (used for testing).

No problems here, well, nothing that's really Microsoft's problem anyway. At work, my voicemail administration client does not work with SP2, but that's not really a common, every day piece of software. Fortunately, I have a workaround.

No probs except for constant updates! Like you don't have your virus scan on it maybe out of date... wth I have a virus scan and it is up tp date!!!

Also 3 firewalls one (overkill I know) and 5 adware removers 3 webtrail cleaners and 2 password encrypters.... whatever .

/\

It pays to be protected rofl oh and 3 anti-virus checkers(one installed as of now)

No problems, but the stupid firewall is rather invasive. I love the Pop-up blocker, though! Overall, I like it, but if they could choose a level of security for the firewall, that would be nice, instead of either listing every "exception" or just plain turning it off.

No problems but

This subject has been posted a million times already. THe search function WORKS, please use it.

No problems, though for some reason the firewall wouldn't shut up for the longest time no matter what I did (on both of my machines). Not giving me problems currently though.

Seems that folks are having trouble with Macromedia flash too!
Hey ComputerBox34, you must be pretty tired of posting "no problems" A million times :D

OPUS1 said:
Hey ComputerBox34, you must be pretty tired of posting "no problems" A million times :D

I am. Thats why it's in my sig now. :D

OPUS1 said:
No problems with me, and I have the whole Macromedia Suite.

Five installs. Two slipstreamed, three upgrades. Zero problems.

I'd love to sit down in front of one or two of these machines that are having problems, just to take a look.
Hard as I try, I just can't seem to create any problems on my own with it.

Mine just gets hosed at random it seems.. I ran the beta release of SP2 for 2 weeks then came home from work and my system took 2 minutes to boot, to a blank desktop, restarting explorer brought up my desktop after another 2 minutes, and everything took for ever (1-2 minutes) to respond.
Needless to say, I removed it and went back to SP1.
The official release came out and my system was hosed right away. I removed it right away. Well, after cleaning up my system by removing a bunch of apps that could possibly have some sort of conflict, I reinstalled XP/SP1, reinstalled SP2, and it and it worked fine for a day before the same damn thing happened again.
Mind you, nothing was changed between working and non-working states. It worked like a champ, I shut down and go to work, come home and start it up and its hosed.

I loaded it the first day it came out and it crashed my system. I tried again yesterday and everything seems to be fine. Maybe they worked some bugs out.

Airborne_mtrs

For me a complete format/reinstall of Windows + SP2 was much better than an update on a PC with drivers meant for SP1.

So yes, problems for upgrades but no problem for a new install.

-J.

GreNME said:
No problems with me, and I have the whole Macromedia Suite.

Same here. In fact, I've downloaded and installed the network SP2 installation and used it on dozens of machines at work, and things have went flawlessly. Impressive, considering what some of the other guys are saying.

Biggest thing I would say is to make sure its a Spyware / Virus free box before you upgrade.

2 network installs, 4 upgrades and 1 slipstream. Minor problems with one upgrade, reinstalled net install version over top, problem fixed.

1 slipstream, 2 upgrades. had a few problems with software incompatabilities like symantec antivirus, downloaded the patch and it works fine now. as for the other apps, adding the app to the exceptions in the firewall worked.

The trend to fixing any SP2 issues seems to be patches or drivers. Go for 'em.

-J.

I installed SP2 on 2 boxes. One wouldnt even start explorer.exe and the other hard-locked my ATI drivers to AGP1x with no AF or AA @640x480, making game play very tough. ;)

I had all the latest drivers, the latest BIOS, all the patches from MS, etc.. No viruses have ever touched this system, and no spyware was anywhere to be found. Still didnt work! My last attempt yesterday was to uninstal almost everything I had. Bassically all I had left was Office 2003 Pro, IE 6, MSN Messenger, and all the security and updates MS has released. Still no go.
However, that was an original install (other than repair installs for system upgrades), thus I haven't formatted that drive since XP came out. I kept my system pretty damn clean so for all I know it could have been some app I installed 2-3 years ago that left some obscure dll in /system32 that SP2 didnt like. Who knows?
I just gave up and started fresh last night.. Everything is working like a champ now.

No problems here, completely worth the upgrade, except for a minor annoyance: the dialog box that comes up when you want to open a downloaded file.

Got massive blue screening...but some tweaking and untweaking fixed that.

gwai lo said:
Got massive blue screening...but some tweaking and untweaking fixed that.
um... tweaking and untweaking?

You mean you tweaked xp sp2 and you got blue screens afterwards, SO you untweaked?

I had some problems with certain printers. If you have a printer using a Kernel type driver dep will crash your system.

I dare not install sp2 on my system. I don't need a crapy pupup blocker since I use firefox and nor do I need a realy bad firewall from a company that doesn't know two cents about firewalls.

Wrench00 said:
I had some problems with certain printers. If you have a printer using a Kernel type driver dep will crash your system.

I dare not install sp2 on my system. I don't need a crapy pupup blocker since I use firefox and nor do I need a realy bad firewall from a company that doesn't know two cents about firewalls.
firewall is actually good.

I'll reserect this one time.
Still not convenced that I'm ready to Sp2 and if it goes wrong, want to do a reinstall!

OPUS1 said:
I'll reserect this one time.
Still not convenced that I'm ready to Sp2 and if it goes wrong, want to do a reinstall!
It's actually better to do it with a clean install. Although I never really had a problem during the beta stages with it installing over SP1.

Back