Shame on Ubisoft (Splinter Cell Conviction)

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
Despite the DRM fiasco, I bought the game based on my love for the series. I have not even completed the training mission at the beginning because the game's performance on the PC is horrific. Granted my settings are high, but my system should have no problem with this glorified DX9 game (specs in sig). I will tinker with lower settings after I've taken a break from this piece of junk, but for now I must vent.

This was what I was met with when firing the game up:

**New images soon, sorry**

Minor graphical glitch, but prevented me from changing my video settings or setting up my controls. I still managed to start the game, thanks to it defaulting to the "Play" button when started, but it was such a slide show, even at "recommended" settings that I walked away from it within 10 minutes. I must note, after starting the game I was able to "ESC" into a readable menu and setup my controls and all options. The game does offer up to 8x MSAA... though given its performance with no AA, I would hesitate to use it.

The game is indeed a straight port from the 360. It still has the "Press A" to accept, "Press B" to exit, etc. buttons. The camera badly clips into the character during cut scenes and often turns your character, or some shadows, into a see-through window to the sky box, similar to what we see in the last screen shot above.

Considering Ubisoft jacked up their PC prices this go around, they could have at least shown their PC customers enough respect to fit the game to the platform and beta test it.

Sorry Ubisoft, but you suck. EPIC FAIL.

--

EDIT: I have since discovered that the "AI" applet in ATI's Control Panel was causing the incomplete menus, clipping and transparent models and backgrounds. In addition I seemed to be experiencing a 10-12 fps cap at all times. After disabling it I not only got my menus back, the other graphic issues were gone as well. I am now playing at 2560x1600, max settings and enjoying frames in the 40's. Much better. This does not make up for the DRM, lack of quick save, clunky KB&M controls, short campaign, mark and execute making the game too easy... or the truly pathetic enemy AI. It does however make the game playable and not as horrific as I previously interpreted. FYI.

Last edited:
I was really hoping that this game's fun-factor would outweigh the DRM issue, but looks like I can put it to rest, I'm not buying this game.

Screw Ubisoft & their crappy drm & horrible ports. I refuse to give them any more of my money. Last game I bought of theirs was Prince of Persia (the cell shaded one)

Sorry to hear man. A good PC port should appeal to everyone. Maybe they will patch it asap.

Damn thats pretty bad. AC2 was a pretty good port. I was hoping at least with the DRM they would put some more effort into their ports to make them more attractive to buyers. As for the controller prompts, do you have a 360 controller plugged in? Many games will do that when you have a controller plugged in.

Sorry to hear man. A good PC port should appeal to everyone. Maybe they will patch it asap.
But why would they release it like that...they already made pc users wait longer than console users...for what? A still crappy port? Lame.

Once again, so glad I've decided not to support anything this shitfest of a company does. I'm so far disenchanted with them that I hope they go out of business and their IP's are sold off to a company that actually gives a damn about pc users.

But why would they release it like that...they already made pc users wait longer than console users...for what? A still crappy port? Lame.

Cause they don't have a PC of everyone's config? Not everyone is having problems. Thats why I said I hope they fix it for him asap.

i've given up on ubisoft for pc, only buy their games used for console. They won't be seeing a penny from me as long as they put more effort into drm they they do the actual programming of the game. People can fix the drm problem through cracks and such, i highly doubt anyone without the source code could do much to fix what i'm seeing up there

So because one person is having a problem, then the rest of us will have a problem as well - this is PC gaming.... I mean, jesus.

Just another attempt to discredit the game because of the DRM. I will be picking this one up this weekend. Talked to a few people and they say its pretty damn good.

Looks like it'll be safer to wait for a patch before purchasing. Looking at the OPs PC in sig it looks like he shouldn't have much trouble.

OP, did you try the game on Nvidia AND ATI hardware?

Cause they don't have a PC of everyone's config? Not everyone is having problems. Thats why I said I hope they fix it for him asap.
The days where developers work "close to metal" are over. You have high-level libraries, APIs and toolkits specifically developed by Microsoft. If you can't produce a DirectX-powered Windows game that works properly on 99%+ of compliant system configurations, with few gamebreaking issues, if any, you are an absolute failure as a developer.

Just another attempt to discredit the game because of the DRM.
The only time the OP mentioned DRM was to say "Despite the DRM fiasco". The rest of his issues are entirely unrelated to DRM.

Last edited:
The days where developers work "close to metal" are over. You have high-level libraries, APIs and toolkits specifically developed by Microsoft. If you can't produce a DirectX-powered Windows game that works properly on 99%+ of compliant system configurations, with few gamebreaking issues, if any, you are an absolute failure as a developer.

Bugs like this do happen from time to time, I'm interested in finding out if its related to a very specific set of hardware, software, and drivers or a more wide-spread one.

So because one person is having a problem, then the rest of us will have a problem as well - this is PC gaming.... I mean, jesus.

Nope. It is because they left the shit from the port in there. Why the hell does it take them months after a console release, not this time, to release a product for the PC yet still have all the console specific commands in it?

Nope. It is because they left the shit from the port in there. Why the hell does it take them months after a console release, not this time, to release a product for the PC yet still have all the console specific commands in it?

As I said in a previous post, a lot of games auto-detect the controller and adapt as such. In a number of cases that includes changing the on-screen prompts when they detect the controller plugged in.

Tell me about.. People just blow it way out of perspective just to voice there opinion.

Ubisoft has some of the best talent in the industry and the most misused...

26 year old MBA douchewad joins the team. Pitches market analytics...

- market data shows spending time creating single player assets such as voice acting, writing, and an interesting story takes up too much time and money. cut it.

- market data shows PC games are pirated, contracts tendered for the shittiest most intrusive pain the the ass DRM.

- software testing takes up too much time, cut it.

-make a huge advertising campagn with cinematic quality edits of game play, pay millions to advertise.

done. next franchise to ruin.

yes, shame on Ubi indeed.

Ubisoft has some of the best talent in the industry and the most misused...

26 year old MBA douchewad joins the team. Pitches market analytics...

- market data shows spending time creating single player assets such as voice acting, writing, and an interesting story takes up too much time and money. cut it.

- market data shows PC games are pirated, contracts tendered for the shittiest most intrusive pain the the ass DRM.

- software testing takes up too much time, cut it.

-make a huge advertising campagn with cinematic quality edits of game play, pay millions to advertise.

done. next franchise to ruin.

yes, shame on Ubi indeed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe DRM has far more to do with used sales than priacy.

So has anybody here actually bought the game?

Also, what's the word on the DRM - the guys at Ubisoft said that for each new game, the pirates would have to go through the same messy procedure all over again. True or false? Is there a pirated version available or not?

Also, what's the word on the DRM - the guys at Ubisoft said that for each new game, the pirates would have to go through the same messy procedure all over again. True or false? Is there a pirated version available or not?

I'll probably get it when I can find it cheap, like I did with AC2. As for it being cracked. Not to my knowledge, but I don't exactly pay attention to that stuff anymore.

no one knows and no there isnt one out.. but they know how to do it now so its probably going to be just that much easier..

though as far as the OP goes i think this is more of a driver issue then an actual game issue.. im guessing this is on the system running the GTX 285?

I've read that the menu corruption issue fixed by disabling Cat AI. Maybe the OP can try that and report back if it helped.

Whoa, the graphics look really poor

Bugs, console port and DRM = no purchase

I was waiting for this, and got my money ready to steam purchase. But the game is seriously flawed and unplayable at the moment, and there are quite a few sources which confirm this.

I'll pass. Go go Just Cause 2, lawl.

Batman AA had the same console action command prompt nonsense as well even the controller config was setup for a 360 controller, I'll keep my opinion to myself (unlike 90% of the posters in here) of this game as I don't own it yet (like 90% of the posters in here), and wait until my parents bring it over in November.

Although I can agree with some views of DRM hurting Ubisoft, yeah it deters piracy (a little), but any customers that had trouble with previous titles using this level of DRM will most likely avoid future releases.

Although I can agree with some views of DRM hurting Ubisoft, yeah it deters piracy (a little), but any customers that had trouble with previous titles using this level of DRM will most likely avoid future releases.

Yeah, It deters pirates by about 2 weeks based on the avagere time it's taken to crack Silent Hunter, AC2, and Settlers 7.

That'll show 'em!

Batman AA had the same console action command prompt nonsense as well even the controller config was setup for a 360 controller, I'll keep my opinion to myself (unlike 90% of the posters in here) of this game as I don't own it yet (like 90% of the posters in here), and wait until my parents bring it over in November.

Probably because you had a controller plugged in. If you don't want to use a 360 pad in games, don't keep it connected. A lot of games are designed to automatically detect it and adapt for ease of use.

Batman AA had command prompts for keyboard and 360 pad.

Probably because you had a controller plugged in. If you don't want to use a 360 pad in games, don't keep it connected. A lot of games are designed to automatically detect it and adapt for ease of use.

I'm thinking your right Derangel since I never noticed console menus in BB:AA. Might have jumped the gun on the harshness in that regard if that is correct.

You left your CD-key in the screenshots.

Crap, good catch! I'll have new one's up soon.

--

After playing several missions my fury has subsided to some degree. The game is clunky with keyboard and mouse, but not unforgivable. It does have its bugs, and performance still needs a fair amount of optimization... but all that aside, the game is not junk. It has a decent story, decent game play and decent graphics. It's no show stopper, definitely not the reboot of the series they painted it as being, but it's not a deal breaker either.

Here's hoping they patch with some respect to their PC customers.

You know what's funny? Splinter Cell Double Agent for PC when it first came out had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Wtf is wrong with them?

Just bought and downloading, hope to give it a spin tonight, will post some benchies on this rig and see it how "bad" it is.

No scene crack yet, the Xbox360 rip has been out for a while, maybe if we want to get our pirated rips earlier we should all buy some cheap 360's and get the pirate copies for that instead? :cool:

Ok joking aside, Ubisoft saying pirates "would have to go th rough the same messy procedure all over again" is just...well...I dunno... I think it highlights the sheer stupidity of the people making these DRM decisions at Ubisoft.

Actual pirates (scene groups) who do the cracking do not do it to screw the developers over (despite what some people believe) they do it because it's a challenge. If you make it harder for scene groups to crack then it becomes a bigger invitation to do it, there's is more respect in the scene for cracking a hard to crack game. If you make tough copy protection then more scene groups will be spending more effort to be the first group to beat it.

All it realisitcally comes down to is that scene cracks tend to appear later, it seems like cracks for Ubisofts recent games have been a few weeks in the pipeline, if anyone thinks that this is significantly lowering the amount of piracy they need their fucking head checked.

Do ubisoft really sit around thinking that their games are so earth shatteringly good that people cannot possibly wait 2 weeks for a scene crack, what a joke :)

You know what's funny? Splinter Cell Double Agent for PC when it first came out had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Wtf is wrong with them?
It still does have the same problems...they never fixed it. Makes me wonder if Ubisoft will fix any issues with Conviction.

Played through the first two levels last night on my sig rig. I didn't see any bugs and didn't have any issues with the DRM, game ran solidly. Every in game setting at max. Performance was fine though though it seemed a bit slow for this hardware, got only an average of 43 FPS and no SLI support out of the box on the 197.55 drivers, some of the cut scenes seemd a little choppy.

But the game is fun, glad I don't listen to all of the DRM whiners without decent Internet connections.

Back