Shame on Ubisoft (Splinter Cell Conviction)

It still does have the same problems...they never fixed it. Makes me wonder if Ubisoft will fix any issues with Conviction.

Really? My buddy bought it when it came out for PC and we both have 8800 series cards and apparantly the problem is with those cards specifically. The character models essentially become incredibly warped on the screen. It looks as if Sam Fisher exploded...

Btw, has anyone read any of the Splinter Cell books by Tom Clancy? Are they any good? Similar to the game at all as far as story?

Really? My buddy bought it when it came out for PC and we both have 8800 series cards and apparantly the problem is with those cards specifically. The character models essentially become incredibly warped on the screen. It looks as if Sam Fisher exploded...

The character models might be the best looking part of this game, they look great on my 480s, or should I say 480 as SLI isn't supported ATM.

$60 for single GPU support only. Seems a little steep to me.

Unless the game quite simply doesn't support multiple GPUs its really not Ubi's fault that there isn't a SLI profile out of the gate. Thats up to Nvidia.

You should be able to bake your own SLI profile if NVIDIA hasn't specifically included one in a driver set, and generally speaking, that profile should at least enable at least some SLI functionality. Then there's TWIMTBP, in which developers are given the opportunity to work with NVIDIA on getting pre-release support, which would ostensibly include a functioning SLI profile in addition to other generic and NVIDIA-specific shader optimizations. Ubisoft had an opportunity to get into TWIMTBP and didn't bother.

Seems like pure laziness to me.

Seems like pure laziness to me.

Well at least rushed, but its nothing like the bugfest others are describing, at least for me. One 480 is maxing it out and the game play is VERY smooth at 1920x1200 so I've real no complaints.

But on lesser hardware I think I see the problem. Much less than a single 480 and you wouldn't be able to max at the game at even only 1920x1200.

Need to see how this REALLY runs on a 5870.

But its fun for me, and I actually got the $65 version. Just my sign of support for Ubi in a vast sea of whiners. Got AC2 as well which I really don't like but had to buy to support Ubi and I never had a single issue with the DRM, I got it after all the crap with the servers settled down.

I just don't get it. All these bugs, all this stuff that supposedly doesn't work, on and on and on and I never saw one damn problem. I think 99% of this shit is just FUD to scare people away from these games. I just don't listen to the shit anymore. Its just damned useless. If I had listened to it I wouldn't be enjoying the neat game. And maxed out, console port it may be, it looks GORGEOUS.

Well at least rushed, but its nothing like the bugfest others are describing, at least for me. One 480 is maxing it out and the game play is VERY smooth at 1920x1200 so I've real no complaints.

But on lesser hardware I think I see the problem. Much less than a single 480 and you wouldn't be able to max at the game at even only 1920x1200.

Need to see how this REALLY runs on a 5870.

But its fun for me, and I actually got the $65 version. Just my sign of support for Ubi in a vast sea of whiners. Got AC2 as well which I really don't like but had to buy to support Ubi and I never had a single issue with the DRM, I got it after all the crap with the servers settled down.

I just don't get it. All these bugs, all this stuff that supposedly doesn't work, on and on and on and I never saw one damn problem. I think 99% of this shit is just FUD to scare people away from these games. I just don't listen to the shit anymore. Its just damned useless. If I had listened to it I wouldn't be enjoying the neat game. And maxed out, console port it may be, it looks GORGEOUS.

According to a post on Ubi's boards, the OP's problem seems to be one related to Catalyst AI so an ATI specific issue. Either way, I think I'll wait on this game until I'm not running a 8800GTS 320. Seems like it might want some more power than that card can provide, especially with only 2gigs of RAM in my system.

The 10.4a preview drivers mention a direct fix to Splinter Cell: Conviction. I can attest that on my setup I've had 0 problems! Running great at max settings. I will take some screenshots later.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-a-Hotfix.aspx

Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves stability issues in the game when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

* ATI Radeon HD 3xxx Series of products

Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves performance stuttering issues when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

* ATI Radeon HD 2xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 3xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 4xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Series of products

According to a post on Ubi's boards, the OP's problem seems to be one related to Catalyst AI so an ATI specific issue. Either way, I think I'll wait on this game until I'm not running a 8800GTS 320. Seems like it might want some more power than that card can provide, especially with only 2gigs of RAM in my system.

I agree, you should upgrade first.

yeah saw that acecr42.. looks like the groups figured out the secret.. hopefully this means ubisoft will give up on the drm and cut their losses now.. but i doubt it..

yeah saw that acecr42.. looks like the groups figured out the secret.. hopefully this means ubisoft will give up on the drm and cut their losses now.. but i doubt it..

This'll only make Ubi try harder. I mean the current DRM scheme was simply only an escalation in the DRM/Cracker battle.

Who knows? We might get back to hardware-based DRM eventually!

Ok, update on my original post. Sorry if this has been brought up already.

The odd menus and transparencies in my previous screen shots were being caused by ATI's "AI" applet in their control panel. This not only solved the menu and see-through Fisher issues, but also removed a phantom 10fps cap I was experiencing. I am now playing at max settings, 2560x1600 with frames in the 40's. Vast improvement.

I'll have screens up soon, sorry for the delay. Work, life and all the jazz.

This'll only make Ubi try harder. I mean the current DRM scheme was simply only an escalation in the DRM/Cracker battle.

then let em waste the money.. im enjoying watching this shit way to much.. :p

^^ +1, my thoughts are "better you than me"

who would put it past them, ubi is known to use the worst protection they can get their hands on. who remembers what kind of promo was put up when they first started using this? people who don't see through this just eat it up like some magic drm out to save the industry.

time tells how full of shit they really are, when months of cracking time gets reduced to weeks, days, and soon to be hours. every time they use it they just piss more people off, and expose more to those out to break it. you got to wonder how cost effective it really is for them to test the waters on some mediocre game, buying themselves just enough time to watch their blockbusters get owned immediately. then they can blame the effect on their own double standards, and start all over.

If people don't pay for Ubisoft's PC games, then that will be the end of it - they'll just develop for the console.

Did you see Assassins' Creed 2 on the 360? What a piece of shit. The PC version blows the console version out of the universe.

I preferred AC 2 on the 360 strangely enough. So this is how many games in a row Ubisoft has made that have been of dubious quality? I get tired of hearing 'fail' stories like this, especially with a franchise that I used to like, such as Splinter Cell. They probably will end up dropping pc more in the future, they might as well since you can get the exact same experience minus the insulting DRM, on a console.

EDIT: I have since discovered that the "AI" applet in ATI's Control Panel was causing the incomplete menus, clipping and transparent models and backgrounds. In addition I seemed to be experiencing a 10-12 fps cap at all times. After disabling it I not only got my menus back, the other graphic issues were gone as well. I am now playing at 2560x1600, max settings and enjoying frames in the 40's. Much better. This does not make up for the DRM, lack of quick save, clunky KB&M controls, short campaign, mark and execute making the game too easy... or the truly pathetic enemy AI. It does however make the game playable and not as horrific as I previously interpreted. FYI.

Wait what.. Did you just say the AI is pathetic? Its the best AI in any SC game.. and probably some of the best ive seen. You say M&E makes the game to easy.. But you want a quick save? Please don't be a hypocrite.

If people don't pay for Ubisoft's PC games, then that will be the end of it - they'll just develop for the console.

Did you see Assassins' Creed 2 on the 360? What a piece of shit. The PC version blows the console version out of the universe.

I wouldn't worry about that any time too soon. There's still a lot of money in PC gaming especially when you look at the hardware. AMD wouldn't have sold 6 million DX11 cards to date without PC games.

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/tomclancyssplintercellconviction/review.html

Ah well....looks like Ubi managed to shittify this game plenty.

We also experienced issues with Ubisoft's copy protection method, which requires players to maintain a consistent Internet connection, even when playing the single-player campaign. On several occasions, Ubi's servers hiccuped multiple times in a row, pausing the game in progress and then restarting a few seconds later in an annoying loop. A few times we couldn't connect to the servers and therefore couldn't play the game.

Seriously, can you say anything about ubisoft or the stupid DRM on these forums without getting jumped by the dynamic duo of wabewalker and heatlesssun?

Its getting a little ridiculous. I can understand being a fan of a game or even a company but being a fan of a DRM scheme is just sad.

I personally hope that UBI does just stay on the console if they keep shoving this failed DRM down our throats.

Seriously, can you say anything about ubisoft or the stupid DRM on these forums without getting jumped by the dynamic duo of wabewalker and heatlesssun?

That works the other way too. Even if you wanted to discuss gameplay, you can't start a thread about games like Assassins Creed 2 or Modern Warfare 2 or Splinter Cell or whatever without a flood of whining about the DRM and the dedicated servers and the P2P gameplay and what not. Everyone feels the need to reinform everyone else of their position over and over and over...

Is that a fact?

If you do play PC games I stand corrected. However not caring about a major developer ceasing PC development, no matter your opinion of their DRM, is a bit shortsighted I think if you care about the platform. That will just lead to fewer choices on the PC.

This simply isn’t true. How many times have I said that I respect the opinions of those whose choose not to buy the Ubi games because of the DRM? I get it. I don’t like it any more than you. But I just bought a $1000 i7-980x and three (might even go to four) GTX 480s and will be buying close to another $4000 worth of hardware (getting a triple head monitor setup and will be doing a whole new build) primarily for the purpose of playing any game that I want in all of the glory any game has to offer. I also have a great Internet connection because I have to for work.

So take a moment and look at it from my perspective. I bought AC2 to see if this new DRM was going to cause me problems because I heard BITTER complaints about how it causes all of these problems. I OBVIOUSLY don’t want to play a game that’s constantly crashing, full of bugs, etc. What the hell would be the point of that? So I tried AC2, don’t even like AC really, just to test out the DRM and I DIDN’T SEE ANY OF THESE ISSUES!!

That’s not to say that NO ONE is having issues with this DRM. But look at my setup. I hear of people having issues all the time about any number of things that I NEVER SEE because I spend the money to have a top line gaming experience. And I didn’t buy all this stuff to worry about someone else’s political agenda. I bought this stuff to PLAY GAMES!!

That’s what you HAVE TOTALLY LOST SIGHT OF! Games are about having fun! You’re so angry and bitter about the DRM that you’ve completely forgotten that. Life is too short to constantly fight and bicker over this stuff. DRM has been around for a generation. It’s not going away and I hear all of this bitching and complaining and I don’t see anyone offering any solutions that I didn’t hear about 30 years ago. Better games, lower prices, no DRM, etc.

I’m sure that the DRM hurts the sale of these games. With people like you spewing limitless amounts of venom over it how could it not? That’s not blaming you but clearly people of your leaning take every opportunity to attack, attack, attack and attack and that’s got to be scaring away a few folks. But this is Ubi’s call, not mine or yours and if they want to shoot themselves in the foot on this issue that’s on them. As I have said plenty of times this doesn’t stop piracy and it’s just bad PR. But if I like a game they make and it works for me then I’m also not going to worry about the political agendas of those who are more worried about the politics than the game. After all this is only a freaking game, not a cure to cancer or world peace. Keep it in perspective.

My only real disagreement with you and others with similar opinions is that I don’t believe that you hold pirates accountable for the TRUE damage they cause in all of this. But I’m not here to go down that road again. You have your view on it and I have mine. The truth is probably in the middle anyway.

So you can call what I said irrational or illogical all that you want. I believe it to be about as reasonable of a post that you’ll see in a thread like this.

Last edited:
That works the other way too. Even if you wanted to discuss gameplay, you can't start a thread about games like Assassins Creed 2 or Modern Warfare 2 or Splinter Cell or whatever without a flood of whining about the DRM and the dedicated servers and the P2P gameplay and what not. Everyone feels the need to reinform everyone else of their position over and over and over...

And the people said "Amen!"

Its getting a little ridiculous. I can understand being a fan of a game or even a company but being a fan of a DRM scheme is just sad.

I personally hope that UBI does just stay on the console if they keep shoving this failed DRM down our throats.

The dynamic duo! LOL! That's pretty funny.

But actually, what Heatlesssun just said above near the bottom, I actually do agree with that: I don't think that most of you guys hold the pirates accountable for the damage that they're doing. Some of you guys will just rip the gaming companies apart, but you'll never blame the pirates. Piracy causes DRMs. That's why they were put in place.

Before I buy this game on the PC you 100% get d/c if you lose connection to the internet ?

Yes.

If you do play PC games I stand corrected. However not caring about a major developer ceasing PC development, no matter your opinion of their DRM, is a bit shortsighted I think if you care about the platform. That will just lead to fewer choices on the PC.

No more shortsighted then Ubisoft's DRM. This is what we've been saying for the last few months now. Ubisoft's departure from the PC gaming market will leave a void to be filled by another studio and their are plenty out there that can fill their shoes.

I enjoy pretty much all of Ubisoft's major titles. Many of you probably aren't old enough to remember the first Splinter Cell game let alone read any of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell novels. Silent Hunter is my all time sub-simulator game. I played Prince of Persia on the PC my freshmen year of high school and loved every minute of it being reminded of the old 2600 Atari Pitfall! game. Many more IP's exist under their umbrella that I love to death but the end result of this DRM is worse than any other combined to-date. It is this reason that I hope Ubisoft decides to change their decision or they go under and pull out of the PC market entirely.

The dynamic duo! LOL! That's pretty funny.

But actually, what Heatlesssun just said above near the bottom, I actually do agree with that: I don't think that most of you guys hold the pirates accountable for the damage that they're doing. Some of you guys will just rip the gaming companies apart, but you'll never blame the pirates. Piracy causes DRMs. That's why they were put in place.

You just keep ignoring everything we point out to you. I'm all for punishing pirates as are quite a few others as has been repeatedly stated numerous times. We the consumer are tired of being "punished" and treated like we're the pirates. Give us a DRM scheme that doesn't treat us like we did something wrong and myself, others, and countless publications, and professional reviewers have all knocked the DRM, very similar to the complaints against the draconian rootkits schemes, and have also offered ways to make it better. If they have the capabilities to monitor how many people have illegally pirated the game they have the means to go after them under the copyright infringement act. Let them pursue the thieves that way if they really want to go after them.

Last edited:
No more shortsighted then Ubisoft's DRM. This is what we've been saying for the last few months now. Ubisoft's departure from the PC gaming market will leave a void to be filled by another studio and their are plenty out there that can fill their shoes.

I enjoy pretty much all of Ubisoft's major titles. Many of you probably aren't old enough to remember the first Splinter Cell game let alone read any of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell novels. Silent Hunter is my all time sub-simulator game. I played Prince of Persia on the PC my freshmen year of high school and loved every minute of it being reminded of the old 2600 Atari Pitfall! game. Many more IP's exist under their umbrella that I love to death but the end result of this DRM is worse than any other combined to-date. It is this reason that I hope Ubisoft decides to change their decision or they go under and pull out of the PC market entirely.

So you admit that they have great games and franchises. So how would these be replaced then? Another developer is just going to step in and do Prince of Persia or Splinter Cell? And you'd rather give up the great games over the DRM? That's your choice of course but to me that's letting the politics of an old and never ending issue that we're not going to solve get in the way of enjoying games. It simply hasn't come to this for me, not at this point. And I've been in this from the begining myself, I've never read the novels but I've been around as long as you, I remember the 2600 when it was new and all of the cheap TV consoles lile the Colecovision.

You just keep ignoring everything we point out to you. I'm all for punishing pirates as are quite a few others as has been repeatedly stated numerous times. We the consumer are tired of being "punished" and treated like we're the pirates. Give us a DRM scheme that doesn't treat us like we did something wrong and myself, others, and countless publications, and professional reviewers have all knocked the DRM, very similar to the complaints against the draconian rootkits schemes, and have also offered ways to make it better. If they have the capabilities to monitor how many people have illegally pirated the game they have the means to go after them under the copyright infringement act. Let them pursue the thieves that way if they really want to go after them.

I haven't, you'd have to be living under a rock in the PC gaming world to have not heard the "treating customers as criminals argument" a million times like all the other arguments. I agree to it to some extent but too much is made of this. We get treated like criminals ALL the time. Keys for this, codes that, IDs for something else. Our lives are full of annoying, inconvenient but at least to some extent necessary security measures. Some act as though only DRM in games is like this. This stuff is all over the place in everyday life and that's what I think you fail to see.

"But the DRM is for the company and hurts the customer!" Well of course, its their property they are trying to protect. And I can't live in someone else's shoes over a damn game. This stuff from my expereince has just causes so few issues that it just isn't worth getting my painties in a bunch. I spend WAY more time dealing with other types of computer issues than issues that I see caused by DRM. I've never said that others don't have more issues but this is MY experience, I can't have another.

So if I see a Ubi game I like, damn straight I'll buy it if the DRM isn't causing me perceptile problems. I'm trying to play a game not find fault with it. It's minding my own business , I'm not breaking any law and I have the right to spend my money as I choose. You were not put on this planet to service my political agenda anymore than I was to service yours.

And if Ubi is treating a good customer like me as a criminal then guys like you are treating me like an idiot. I understand the implications of the DRM. Hell, I've seen the shit for 30 damn years. What you seem to fail to realize is that for some people, probably most, this stuff simply isn't as bad as you say. It's got its issues but why the hell would I spend money on something and say that it's not causing me problems if it were? Unlike you I don't have an agenda other than wanting to enjoy a game. I just want to play the game and have fun and I really don't give a rats ass about all these old political feuds that are unlikely to be resolved in our lifetime.

So yeah this DRM sucks, but not so much that I've not been able to enjoy the games that I've tried to date. If you can't enjoy the games because of it, at least some of that is on you and your circumstances. Maybe you want to play on a laptop on the go, maybe you have bad internet service, etc. I'm not saying that its your fault, just a result of your particular circumstances. Just as me being perfectly able to enjoy it is a result of mine. Yes, I'd love for you to be able to leagally enjoy these games. But I honestly have no idea how to make that happen. I just don't.

Last edited:
Back