SFF Case for mini-ITX GPU/MB

I understand. I didn't choose a CPU cooler yet nor a GPU until I install what I have and check out clearances.... also need to hunt down a ODD.

Could always start a google doc that anyone can modify like the ncase has. The community adds to it and it's use at your own risk. :)

Anywho this is what I ordered:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop

Silverstone PP05-E 0.98 ft. Flat Flexible Short Cable Set for SilverStone Modular PSUs

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor

MSI Z97I AC LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

SILVERSTONE SX500-LG 500W SFX-L 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel 730 Series 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDSC2BP240G4R5

Pretty excited for this little bugger!

Why did you order the flat flexible short cables ?
They are included in the SX500-LG bundle. At least they were in mine...

edit : for ODD, I use one from a DELL laptop, works perfectly :D

Any plans to revise design gtek? For GPU I/O issue caused by the different brands.

And do another order run in the future?

Sooo the C1 does fit!....but not with the psu. Just a little too tall. This would be a problem normally but I might have found a solution. There a few millimeters from the edge of the frame/psu that would give it enough room to breathe. So, cut out a small area to slide the psu out, drilled new holes to mount psu and she fits :).

I won't have temps or pics for a few days but I'm hoping once I switch the top 140 to an intake, should be plenty of air for both cpu and psu. If not, I'll switch out for a low profile cooler and move psu back.

Last edited:
Just reporting in with another cooler. I'm using the Cooltek LP53.

It's awesome. A little taller than the NH-L9i, but it's all cooper. I'm getting mid-30's idle, and mid-60's full extended load in the Osmi using a 4790K.

Just reporting in with another cooler. I'm using the Cooltek LP53.

It's awesome. A little taller than the NH-L9i, but it's all cooper. I'm getting mid-30's idle, and mid-60's full extended load in the Osmi using a 4790K.

Impressive idle temps with the 4790k! I'm using the NH-L9i with a 4690k and my idles are around 45 with mid-60's at load as well.

Impressive idle temps with the 4790k! I'm using the NH-L9i with a 4690k and my idles are around 45 with mid-60's at load as well.

That is impressive. I didn't buy a CPU cooler yet. That's promising though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, small update. My XFX Nano finally arrived and still has some coil whine but it's manageable compared to the awful Sapphire cards I sent back so I'm keeping it. Anyways with Halloween and stuff this weekend I probably won't get to try out the Osmi but should by early next week. I'm worried about the temps but the heatsink design on the Nano is clearly superior compared to the existing ITX 970's I've seen plus it expels a lot of hot air out the back of the card. It'll still probably be too hot but only one way to find out for sure. Will update again once built and tested.

Other parts:

4790K paired with a Xigmatek Prateon or Janus (have both)
16GB low profile 1.35V DDR3 1600
500W Silverstone SFX-L Power Supply
2*480GB (960GB Stripe) Radeon SSD's (OCZ Toshiba's rebranded)
AsRock Z97E-ITX A/C motherboard

Should be fun to build!

Hey guys, small update. My XFX Nano finally arrived and still has some coil whine but it's manageable compared to the awful Sapphire cards I sent back so I'm keeping it. Anyways with Halloween and stuff this weekend I probably won't get to try out the Osmi but should by early next week. I'm worried about the temps but the heatsink design on the Nano is clearly superior compared to the existing ITX 970's I've seen plus it expels a lot of hot air out the back of the card. It'll still probably be too hot but only one way to find out for sure. Will update again once built and tested.

Other parts:

4790K paired with a Xigmatek Prateon or Janus (have both)
16GB low profile 1.35V DDR3 1600
500W Silverstone SFX-L Power Supply
2*480GB (960GB Stripe) Radeon SSD's (OCZ Toshiba's rebranded)
AsRock Z97E-ITX A/C motherboard

Should be fun to build!

Ack, turns out my XFX Nano became bipolar today and is now screaming pretty loud under load like the Sapphire cards. I give up on these damn Nano cards. Guess I'll have to go for a 970 or something.

I can't get my ASUS 970 under 80c. Swapped out pastes for Liquid pro, still 80c. I'll try noctuas paste next but I don't see how Gtek got under 80 on the exact same card. Maybe not enough of an opening on the bottom. Not sure :(

I can't get my ASUS 970 under 80c. Swapped out pastes for Liquid pro, still 80c. I'll try noctuas paste next but I don't see how Gtek got under 80 on the exact same card. Maybe not enough of an opening on the bottom. Not sure :(

Mine wasn't 970. It was Claire and her 970 which peaked 80C during stress test. She reported 70-75 during gaming, which is fine in my opinion.

That was with the shell off. Switched to the recommended L9i for cpu as well.

Sorry about that. I think I saw u hit 80 with a 760 earlier in the thread? Haven't tested in game only stress testing. If it hits 75 gaming, that's very good. That should give the headroom it needs to hit that 110% overclock reviewers were able to hit. Thanks for the response Gtek.

A few questions…

One - I see no option for shell color on the HB website, but I DO see a pic for the "Shell only" (meaning the chassis assembly, I would assume) that has the chassis with the white shell on it AND a black shell (sans chassis) right next to it… Almost as if they are implying that one would receive BOTH color shells with purchase…?!?

Two - Anyone have a build done in this with a M.2 SSD on the backside of the MB…? Wondering about temps for that area… Really wanting to do a build with a single 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (M.2 form-factor / PCIe 3.0 4x interface) SSD as the sole drive in said system… Would 'open up' the area behind the MB if needed to provide extra ventilation from the ODD area (I would not be using an ODD nor a 2.5" SSD in this area)… Would rather not cut the chassis up though, so hoping there could be sufficient ventilation from the exhaust fan pulling air behind the MB…?!?

Three - What is the size (diameter of the mounting hole in chassis) of the power switch…? Would be thinking of replacing with an appropriate anti-vandal switch & probably move to the front of the chassis… Also thinking about, but not sure if I could even find the proper parts (or cleanly pull off the mod), for placing an illuminated Apple logo as the power button on the front (this will be a Hackintosh build, BTW)…

Four - Right now looking at the Noctua L9i for a HSF, but would really want to try out the Cryorig C7 when it hits the Newegg 'shelves'… Anyone across the pond have access to a C7 & try one out in the Osmi chassis yet…?

Closing Comments - This is towards a future water-cooled chassis that has been mentioned… would LOVE to see a unit about 20cm x 20cm x 30cm; room for the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact MB (high VRM section) with an EK monoblock & RAM block, room for the forthcoming Silverstone 700w SFX-L PSU, room for a R9 Nano (or equivalent/better ITX GPU from either Green or Red)… The EK full-cover block for the R9 Nano is a single-slot solution, so that is a plus…? I would love to see a spot in the bottom of the chassis for an EK DDC pump/res combo, the one that fits into a single 5 1/2" drive bay (this would need to take the add-on heat sink for the DDC pump into consideration as well)… Integrated fill & drain ports for the water cooling loop would be nice (like on the Compact Splash) and very convenient… I would close out the water cooling loop with a single EK 180mm rad mounted up top; single or dual fans I am not sure on, cooling needs & overall chassis height would affect that I would suppose… There could also be room 'behind' the pump/rez combo for a pair of 80mm fans set up as intakes… With the advent of 'The Cloud' for storage, and the rising popularity of networked HDD/SSD storage systems in the home, I would think that drives in this theoretical WCed chassis could be kept to the minimum… If ASUS had not decided to go with the U.2 rather than the M.2, then it would be cleaner, but because they went with the U.2 space would need to be reserved for a single 2.5" SSD…

Last edited:
Ack, turns out my XFX Nano became bipolar today and is now screaming pretty loud under load like the Sapphire cards. I give up on these damn Nano cards. Guess I'll have to go for a 970 or something.

I am bummed by this. I was about to pull the trigger on a Nano (it's in my micro center shopping cart) and now I am wondering if I should get a 970...

I think I'll build the parts I bought for the Osmi in the Sugo 13 & the full size 970 I have laying around.

I'll save the Osmi for a different time. It'll probably be a few months before I get it in the U.S. anywho.

Last edited:
I am bummed by this. I was about to pull the trigger on a Nano (it's in my micro center shopping cart) and now I am wondering if I should get a 970...

I think I'll build the parts I bought for the Osmi in the Sugo 13 & the full size 970 I have laying around.

I'll save the Osmi for a different time. It'll probably be a few months before I get it in the U.S. anywho.

Yeah it's a real shame. To be honest a 175 TDP card is pretty optimistic for the Osmi. The 970 is about the best you can expect but if you want to go team Red you don't have really any decent options at the moment.

In my case I'm giving up on the idea of using the Osmi for a gaming box until Arctic Islands arrive (I have a Freesync monitor and the Nano's are all defects as far as I'm concerned, no way I'm living with that much coil whine and I suggest you stay away from them as well) and will probably just use it for a HTPC. No way I'm buying a G-Sync monitor and wasting another $200.00 just to buy a 970 when next gen cards will be out within a year.

In the mean time I bought an MSI R9-390 and will stuff that into a Silverstone Raven or something so I can enjoy my monitor correctly. I did some power measurements and the Silverstone 500W SFX-L easily handles the 390 with a 95W CPU. My killawatt shows 125-150W of available power left while gaming so should even have room for overclocking. This power supply is better than I thought it would be.

A hackintosh is tempting given the look of the case but I hate Apple so that's not an option ;D

Yeah the SFX L 500W is gorgeous. I like the ribbon cables too.

My Osmi Build

It_arrived.jpg

OK, so as my previous post stated. It arrived extremely well packaged.

osmi_unpacked.jpg

Once unpacked, you can see how beautiful a case it actually is.

So the next stage. Waiting for all the other components to arrive 

what_it_is_going_to_replace.jpg

This is the PC that it will be replacing. I’m going form a behemoth of a case to the smallest there is. Very exciting.

the_components.jpg

They all arrived.

Component List:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Direct CUMini
Power Supply: SilverStone SX600 (600W SFX PSU)
Storage: 1x Crucial CT500MX200SSD4 M.2 500 GB
1x WD Blue 320GB 2.5” (already owned)
1x Crucial 480GB M500 SSD 2.5” (already owned)
1 x WD Black 1TB 3.5” (Planned on but didn’t use in the end)

Some new accessories to go with the ne build.
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 (I prefer smaller mice)
Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid-I - Cherry MX Brown

all_laid_out.jpg

Got all the components laid out and started to work out how to get it all to fit.

first_test_fit.jpg

The first test first test fit highlighted a few issues :(

Firstly, all the sata express connectors on this particular motherboard face outward to the right, and it is such a tight fit for the motherboard anyways, there is no way that you can fit a connector in here.
There are 2 upward facing sata ports. So I might not be getting the benefits of the sata express, but I don’t have to return the motherboard for a different one.

Second issue that was noticed. The gap between the top of the motherboard and the fan is so small that the clip on the 6pin power cable actually caught in the fan as it span.

My solution (probably not something everyone will want to do) was to just snap the clip off the connector.

I was also very relieved to see the Noctua NH-L9x65 cpu cooler does fit nicely.
I ended up rotating the cpu cooler 90 degrees to allow the top case fan to help cool as well.

power_switch.jpg

It also took me a while to work out the power switch, It would be nice to include a small diagram of how this should be wired up, and it took me a little bit of trial an error to work out how it was working. Not a difficult task, but something that could easily be solved with a diagram.

everything_in.jpg

It took a lot of fiddling, and a bit of problem solving, but I got everything in. The GPU had quite a few issues. That hopefully can be solved before the next wave of cases.

graphics_card_issues.jpg

[BLUE] The ASUS 970 has the same issue other people have had. I had to bend the bracket in order to get it to fit into the slot. (while I was bending bracket, the end part actually snapped off, which was an accident, but made it a lot easier to get in and out after then.)

[RED] The second issue came after it was in. The connectors sit that close to the edge, that I couldn’t get the display port connector to actually go it. (the solution to this for me was to unscrew the connector screws (the ones you can see in the image) then lift the pcb up just enough to get the cable in. Then put all but one screw back in.) It’s not ideal. But it got the job done.

I think the GPU hole needs to be bigger to not only get it to fit, but to make sure there is enough clearance for the connector.

full_sized_hdd.jpg

I had planned to put in a full sized HDD. And I did have it in the case at one point. But I decided in the end to remove it to help improve air flow. There is nothing preventing it fitting in. I just decided to put in a 2nd 2.5” drive instead.

hard_drive_layout.jpg

This was my final solution for hard drives.
I have a M.2 SSD under the motherboard (so far temps are perfectly fine)
And then a 2.5”SSD And 2.5”HDD where the OD would sit.

If I wasn’t limited by sata connector because of the motherboard issue as pointed out earlier. There is actually room to fit a 3rd 2.5” drive here if you move the top one up abit.

So as far as storage goes. There is a lot of configurations you can go with.
It would be nice to maybe, get a 2.5” mount inside where the 3.5” drive sits. So there would be even more possible storage combinations.

psu_issues.jpg

The final little issue came when putting the case back together. I had to remove 2 screws from the PSU has the case actually covers the screw holes. Not a major issue, but a little cut out would solve this.

Yes there were some issues, but now that the build is complete, I’m very happy with it.
Hopefully, these issues can be ironed out for the next wave of cases.

final_set_up.jpg

I’m very pleased with my final new space saving set up.
Got my cintiq on an ergoarm so it can come down and rest in front of me. And all fits nicely in the corner with the Osmi looking beautiful on its pedestal.

Last edited:
nice buildlog. the vandal switch drawing looks pretty handy.

figured those side sata ports would cause problem, maybe the silverstone slim sata cables would fit if you already plug them in before placing the motherboard

how much breathing room is left between NH-L9x65 and the psu?

and i thought there were extra screws in the bag meant for the psu to sit flush with the cover

I don't think even with the slim sata cables, it would fit. the sata connector practically sits flush with the metal casing.

I didn't measure it. But there is a couple of millimeters gap. Not a huge amount. But enough that it didn't worry me.

I will have a look in the baggie and see if there is some flat screw for the PSU. ( Would be nice with a diagram of the power switch, to include a list of what is included in the bag of screws.

Last edited:
Thanks for the log, very informative! I'm pretty sure there are some countersunk screws packaged with the case, having those mounting holes covered by the outer shell isn't something that goes unnoticed with a prototype or even when designing the case for that matter.

The issues people are having with their GPUs not fitting are unfortunate, it seems like the Osmi doesn't entirely adhere to the PCIe standard there, but that should easily be fixable with future revisions.

Good idea on the 2.5" mount at the front, I'm a bit surprised there isn't one there already.

Are there not holes for mounting either a 3.5" HDD or a 2.5" HDD/SSD on the front already?

Yup, everything Noddy gave is on point, right down to the HDMI port being slightly blocked on the 970. People seem to be bending the bracket on the GPU, while i unscrewed the frame and pulled it back instead. The issue with the fan being so close to the MB is that one side of the fan is flush to the top, while the other is sitting on 2 screw mounts on the top left. You COULD shave off the corners of the fan to fit it flush or you can do as you (and i) did and snap the clip off.

Maybe its just the angle of the pic but it seems you have a little room at the bottom of the 970. If so, how much space is there? Mine was actually touching the bottom untill i put in some spacers.

Not nearly enough to deter me from the Osmi. Ive been bouncing her around from room to room easily when the gf wants to watch something :)

I gotta say, for a chassis that is close to 200 bucks once shipped, one should NOT have to be making any modifications just to get things to fit properly…

Thank you Noddy Jnr for sharing your build and feedback. We are working with new manufacturer and some B2B customers on fixing all the issues for new revision.

Nice dog by the way :)

I gotta say, for a chassis that is close to 200 bucks once shipped, one should NOT have to be making any modifications just to get things to fit properly…

Of course not. But this is first small production run. When I fabricated my own prototype, everything fitted ok. But get 3rd party manufacturer involved and you get 0.5mm out here, 1mm out there and things suddenly don't fit as they should, specially when you have such a tight case design. I actually had to return around 20% parts for rework as they were just no use.
Yes, VGA cards IO bracket compatibility for example is purely my mistake. With R&D budget of £1500,- it was not possible to test multiple setups, so I went with the best card I could get at the time and assumed that if this one fits, future/other cards will fit as well. That turned out to be false assumption.

But excuses aside, we will fix the issues and improve quality for next batch. And will not forget all the early adopters and their enthusiasm and support, who had to deal with all these complications them self and hope that one day (if things go well) I will be able to return the favour...

Peter | Gtek

While I do agree that the case should've been tested for compatibility or just general adherence to industry standards better, this risk is to be expected when you're an early adopter of a product from a small company that's relatively new to the market.

EDIT: Ah, Peter has responded to this as well.

Hi everyone!

Finally got around to putting my OSMI build together - Some pics for those interested below :)

OSMI arrived back in October... What a gorgeous case, pics don't do it justice! Encountered some minor issues along the way (those that have already been highlighted in this thread) but nothing detrimental to the build.

Specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700K
  • Scythe Big​ Shuriken ​2 Rev.B CPU Cooler
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • Kingston Savage 16GB DDR4-2400 (CL12)
  • Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 Drive
  • Asus GTX 970 4GB
  • Silverstone 600W SFX PSU
  • Noctua NF-A14 140mm PWM Fan

A shot of everything.
image.jpg

Replaced the stock fan with a Noctua NF-A14 as an intake - all about positive pressure for me ;) Plus assists the CPU cooler. It's fitted flush to the top of the case which in turn gives a tiny amount of mobo clearance. PWM controlled to keep noise levels down, still pushes a significant amount of air!
image.jpg

Moved the power button as it was getting in the way of the CPU cooler.
image.jpg

Then wrapped the back with 3M carbon fibre vinyl.
image.jpg

A great mobo full of features, including USB 3.1 A and C connections.
image.jpg

The beast right there.
image.jpg

Quick post test.
image.jpg

A look inside with everything installed.
image.jpg

Well hello!
image.jpg

Removed GPU I/O plate, it was the only way to get the 970 in without modding the case. With this being an exhaust card (unlike the Gigabyte 970), removing the plate made more sense to get hot air out quicker.
image.jpg

I stuck with a single M.2 drive (can't find a pic dammit!) which is situated at the back of the motherboard. Didn't need any other hard drives nor an optical - Bonus is it helps keep cable clutter down.

Temps are great so far. With an ambient of 20C, I'm idling at ~25C and don't see 60C at 100% load (turbo boost to 4.2GHz) using Real Bench and IBT. Some overclocking headroom then I see :p

Of course not. But this is first small production run. When I fabricated my own prototype, everything fitted ok. But get 3rd party manufacturer involved and you get 0.5mm out here, 1mm out there and things suddenly don't fit as they should, specially when you have such a tight case design. I actually had to return around 20% parts for rework as they were just no use.
Yes, VGA cards IO bracket compatibility for example is purely my mistake. With R&D budget of £1500,- it was not possible to test multiple setups, so I went with the best card I could get at the time and assumed that if this one fits, future/other cards will fit as well. That turned out to be false assumption.

But excuses aside, we will fix the issues and improve quality for next batch. And will not forget all the early adopters and their enthusiasm and support, who had to deal with all these complications them self and hope that one day (if things go well) I will be able to return the favour...

Peter | Gtek

While I do agree that the case should've been tested for compatibility or just general adherence to industry standards better, this risk is to be expected when you're an early adopter of a product from a small company that's relatively new to the market.

EDIT: Ah, Peter has responded to this as well.

Sorry if I came across like a dick or anything, I really did not mean to sound like that in my comment; I am glad to hear Peter's response and acknowledgement that they are aware of these issues and that they are being addressed!

Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 Drive

Replaced the stock fan with a Noctua NF-A14 as an intake - all about positive pressure for me ;)

Moved the power button as it was getting in the way of the CPU cooler.
image.jpg

Then wrapped the back with 3M carbon fibre vinyl.
image.jpg

I stuck with a single M.2 drive (can't find a pic dammit!) which is situated at the back of the motherboard. Didn't need any other hard drives nor an optical - Bonus is it helps keep cable clutter down.

Temps are great so far. With an ambient of 20C, I'm idling at ~25C and don't see 60C at 100% load (turbo boost to 4.2GHz) using Real Bench and IBT. Some overclocking headroom then I see :p

Interested to hear about the temps from the M.2 SSD under medium to heavy usage. Looking to use the newer Samsung 950 Pro (256GB version) myself, but worry about throttling from excessive temps…

Also curious if you can give/get any numbers on temp differences between using the chassis fan as intake/exhaust…

I think the power button looks better over the PSU, and it also helps keep that central area open more for airflow…?

Maybe a change to this location for future production runs…? Being centered above the PSU would also mean one was less likely to hit any cables on the motherboard I/O when reaching over/around back to turn on the system…?

That 3M carbon fiber is really nice as well! I would pay extra for that from the factory!

Just looking at the various pics (and that GIF image, the 'build-up' one…), notice one thing about the PSU 'bracket' area…

The specs say the chassis can use SFX or SFX-L PSUs, SFX preferred if you are using the 3.5" HDD mount. SFX-L possible, but very tight on the connectors.

But the cut-out for the PSU says different. The notch in the external shell is for the Silverstone SX600-G (and ST45SF-G) power plug connector clearance. The overall cut-out for the PSU will also allow the entire Silverstone SFX/SFX-L series of PSUs (I would assume the forthcoming 700w SFX-L model as well…?), but the couple of models that are NOT Full Modular might cause issues when it comes time to stuff all the cables in.

Now, there are two PSUs that I would like to use in an Osmi build (I REALLY want to build one of these chassis up into a sweet Hackintosh…!); these are the aforementioned Silverstone 700w SFX-L model & the (also forthcoming) Corsair SF600 SFX PSU…

The larger Silverstone SFX-L model has a Platinum efficiency rating & will provide 700 watts of power, which means an i7 & R9 Nano based system would draw a bit more than half of that, making for a quieter PSU. It will also benefit from the 120mm fan, but the larger SFX-L chassis would also hinder some airflow in the overall Osmi chassis…

The Corsair unit is a standard SFX model, so less airflow being restricted. It is only rated at Gold, but has a 92mm fan, so might be cooler & quieter than the Silverstone 600w PSU.

The issue there is the placement of the power plug & the screw mounting holes. The plug is to the 'top' of the PSU, which would need a cut-out to clear (much like the current cut-out for the 450w/600w Silverstone models. The 'bottom' two screw holes to secure the Corsair unit would not work either, as it uses a single 'bottom middle' screw placement…

I also realized, while staring at these pictures, that if the power button WAS moved to a central location over the PSU, the cooling holes between the PSU & motherboard could be increased upwards by two…

Now I really think I should go to sleep…! ;^p

Agreed, the power button should be in that position by default.
Allows more vents, moves cable clutter away from the mainboard and the button would be easier to reach from the front.
Very nice build!

Adding to Boils concerns about SFX PSU clearance, I feel like the back flange should be cut out a bit further to allow all SFX PSUs to be used. It will probably make the bend more difficult to do, but as Silverstone might start to lose its monopoly on SFX, other manufacturers should be taken into account.

The site currently says that the next batch will be finished at the end of November. Is this accurate?

There is no way to choose which color to order. Should this just be put in the order notes?

Adding to Boils concerns about SFX PSU clearance, I feel like the back flange should be cut out a bit further to allow all SFX PSUs to be used. It will probably make the bend more difficult to do, but as Silverstone might start to lose its monopoly on SFX, other manufacturers should be taken into account.

Nothing a dremel can't fix :)

Mine wasn't 970. It was Claire and her 970 which peaked 80C during stress test. She reported 70-75 during gaming, which is fine in my opinion.

Maybe it's just due to the fact that we don't heat the appartment so the normal air temp is lower at my place (around 16-17C I guess)
The temps were more around 75-80C in august when it was 35-40 outside.

Nothing a dremel can't fix :)

True, but we already talked about this before. A product for 150+ shouldn't require you to mod it in order to fit basic components.

Not saying that the cases the were produced should be replaced or something, just that it should be taken into account for the next revision.

Ok I changed my mind and ended up grabbing an Asus Geforce ITX 970 card and after power measurements with my Core i7-4790K + motherboard I am on the fence but will probably grab an SFX-450W (due to the better capacitors being used) over the 600W.

Asus must have done something special with their ITX 970 as it uses very little energy compared to other models I've tested. The entire system while playing 64 player BF4 only consumes 210-215W at the wall which was frankly unexpected. This was using an SFX-L 500W Silverstone (which I'm using in my Silverstone Fortress FTZ01 build with a 390 for my Freesync fix).

Anyways, I'll likely grab the 450W Gold and then swap the flat cables from the 500L for the Osmi build. I really want the Platinum 700W SFX-L but it won't be released until January at the earliest (I emailed Silverstone and they responded yesterday) and it's kind of unnecessary for the Osmi due to the amount of heat it can handle.

So hopefully I'll have a build log for you guys in a few weeks. I agree with the power button move, makes more sense over the power supply area.

Boil:

Few questions if you don't mind.

Why did you replace the fan?

Where did you get that carbon fiber? I think I want to do the same as you did with the power button move and cover up the back. Looks amazing, great job.

Also, I'll be removing my GPU bracket as well (same card) )instead of damaging and bending parts unless I get brave with a metal filer (which I have ready) to fit in the Asus but really want to add dust filters.

Any ideas as to how to add a custom filter to the back of the GPU?

How are your GPU temps on average?

Edit:

The reason I'm so adamant about dust filters is I want to use this as a 24x7x365 Media Centre / Steam Box and I deplore dust buildup. Dust just unnecessarily ruins components, adds heat and wears fans out prematurely so if it can be prevented at all I will. I have dust filters on my Fortress and it's great. Positive pressure cases should all be protected.

Last edited:
Back