SFF Case for mini-ITX GPU/MB

Relativist

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build a mini-ITX system, I noticed that there are shorter GPUs like the GTX970 available that are not full length, allowing the use of smaller cases. I'm just having trouble finding such cases, most I've found are longer to allow a good size GPU.

P.S. Osmi looks to be the best answer using a SFF PS.

Last edited:
The Lian Li PC-TU100 at 11L and the Ncase M1 at 12.6L are about as compact as you can get and still use the GPU (even a short PCB card). Both cases are similar in size, but the TU100 has significant heat/airflow problems.

If your budget allows, the NCase M1 is having it's third production run soon and their site is currently taking preorders.

I don't think there are viable options as of now. NCASE are currently in the development phase of the LRPC, which is about 8 Litres but that still allows very large GPUs. If you are keen on modding, The LianLi PC-Q12(http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q12/) has enough space for a 150mm FlexATX PSU and a GTX970.

But other than that, I don't know of any cases that actually emphasise the ITX-sized GPUs. Maybe it would be time for one to start doing that.

Modding can net you a ITX gpu in a PC-Q02. See Neutronium V3 by machupo.

Too bad PC-Q02 wastes space for optical. Seems like there is a potential for a nice case that is built for these short graphics cards.

There's the Cooler Master Elite 110 - but I wouldn't exactly call that a "smaller" case. It's stubbier, for sure, and has a stricter limitation on GPU length, but it's not really small, as it is taller and wider than, for instance, the Silverstone SG05.

Too bad PC-Q02 wastes space for optical. Seems like there is a potential for a nice case that is built for these short graphics cards.

Definitely! Especially if it were shipped with a FlexATX PSU (40.5*81.5*150mm), a box-like case could have dimensions of about 150*180*200mm, which equals a volume of 5.4L with room for one or two HDDs or a decent CPU cooler. And a DVR-like flat case could have dimensions of 400*180*55mm, which comes down to a volume of 4L with no room for anything. That would be nifty!

i've been waiting for a case like this forever. essentially a short SG05.

SG05 is still king though, even with a third of my SG05+short asus 670 rig completely empty it's still smaller than every other case out there and I can fit a decent CPU cooler on it too (samuel17)

I'd really like to see something like a stripped-down sub-7L M1-style tower that only supports ITX-style and smaller GPUs. In my head, I kinda picture it like this..

TCou4co.jpg

First time messing with Sketchup, so not really sure where I'm sticking things :p

Panel vents would be as close as possible to both the bottom and side of the GPU, leaving just enough room for cables and filters. PP05-E flex cables would tuck in behind the mobo and then back up from under the 6x 2.5" drive bay. Would like the front panel to look like Aiboh's Nova with hidden slots for PSU intake. Actually, if removing a few of the 2.5" drives, it should fit up to 24cm GPU I think. The Samuel17 is pictured, but would like it to fit up to a C12 or maybe an H60 CLC.

Dunno. Perhaps something like this already exists?

I suppose I could add MiniMiniNova to my list of case designs to try :p

Good job with the model, once you get the hang of it, it's really fun playing around with the different components and trying out different potential case layouts.

Good job with the model, once you get the hang of it, it's really fun playing around with the different components and trying out different potential case layouts.

Super-mini Nova!

Well, I didn't smash my mouse into pieces while playing around w/Sketchup, so I guess there's that. Actually trying to design a case around those components.. no way ;)

If you had a look at neutronium v3 you would see that he got rid of the optical drive space.

Nova -> MiniNova -> MicroNova (the above) -> NanoNova (NUC) ;)

If you had a look at neutronium v3 you would see that he got rid of the optical drive space.

Could you link to the thread? The only thing I found was where he planned on a scratch build and then decided to use the LL case, but no updates after that.

Also, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but the point was that the case is larger because of the optical drive space, not that the ODD is a waste of space inside the case.

Super-mini Nova!

Great, now I'm thinking of a water-cooling version of MiniNova instead :)

Well, I didn't smash my mouse into pieces while playing around w/Sketchup, so I guess there's that. Actually trying to design a case around those components.. no way ;)

Ah come on, it's only several months of work :p

But really, it's not that the difficulty level is that high as far as skill, it's mostly tedious work making sure everything lines up and fits together. Having a basic understanding of the manufacturing processes involved is required though to make sure the design isn't impossible/really expensive to make. What I did was watch Youtube videos of laser cutters and CNC press brakes in action to get an idea of how they worked.

Nova -> MiniNova -> MicroNova (the above) -> NanoNova (NUC) ;)

That would be confusing, Nova is the microATX and MicroNova is the short Mini-ITX :D

That looks pretty much like what OP asked for. But it seems like it is kind of open, is there an additional enclosure to make everything look nicer?

I wish Lian Li would meld the PC-Q01 with the PC-Q02.

Same footprint as PC-Q02, but without ODD slot, with 2x PCI-E slots, and with a grill on the front.

It's so frustrating that there is such a lack of good engineering with consumer mini mITX cases.

That looks pretty much like what OP asked for. But it seems like it is kind of open, is there an additional enclosure to make everything look nicer?

Look on the HG Computer link on the FB page in the links above goes to his pic host site, it has a wrap around grill and top, not too bad looking actually.

Could you link it here? Couldn't find it....

But anyway the designs are actually really nice, especially Osmi.

However there is no way to order. They have mentioned that it would be up within a 'couple of weeks' back in october. Hopefully this won't go down like NFC systems...

WOAH thats really really nice. love the perforated outside as well. damn. how do i get one! :-D

edit: just emailed them to ask if they'd sell the case separately. its 8.1L btw (SG05 is 10.8). Theres probably a lot lower height for cpu coolers in the osmi as they are using a noctua l9h in their build. but it does have a 140mm fan up top, so thats nice.

Last edited:
But anyway the designs are actually really nice, especially Osmi.

Agree! That Osmi is very nice and looks very tiny!

Just wondering, with the PSU mounted where it is, if there's much room left for CPU cooling.. and if the vented exterior and top exhaust makes for a dusty negative pressure case? Or if it could work as an intake?

mSwZW1c.jpg
K1WIV2l.jpg
vkd65rm.jpg

Wow.. I saw the ODD, but just now noticed they crammed a 3.5" drive in there as well. So awesome! :eek:

EDIT:
..as they are using a noctua l9h in their build.

Oops, didn't catch that. The L9 is a little too small for the 4770k they show in the config Rawrr posted. Really curious to know what the temps would be with that setup.

.. and if the vented exterior and top exhaust makes for a dusty negative pressure case? Or if it could work as an intake?

Wow.. I saw the ODD, but just now noticed they crammed a 3.5" drive in there as well. So awesome! :eek:

my guess is positive pressure since the top fan is blocked/covered

I read 3.5" drive in the specs but don't see it in the pics... is that it in front of the psu?

They replied to my email... they won't sell the case separate, want to sell me a custom build :-( too bad

Yeah, the light vertical line is the top cover of the HDD. You can also see the four screws in the front.

I read 3.5" drive in the specs but don't see it in the pics... is that it in front of the psu?

They replied to my email... they won't sell the case separate, want to sell me a custom build :-( too bad

Maybe if enough of us express our wish to buy it on it own, they might...

Maybe if enough of us express our wish to buy it on it own, they might...

They just mailed back... if we can get an order of 50 together they would do it :) Think we could get that going? I'd be in for 1, maybe 2. Should we make a new thread and see if we can get it going?

Don't see why not. We should try other forums and reddit too to gather enough interest. Did they indicate a price?

Any testing on temps and noise?

I used to get excited seeing these cases but now my top priority is temperature and noise in addition to size (volume).

I don't think you'll find any. Looks like a super niche case, I'm not sure if even one has been sold.

But it looks pretty well laid out to me...

at 50 pieces we are looking at roughly 100$ a case plus shipping. Lower prices if we can get more orders. They would ship them all in one shipment, so they would need to be packaged and shipped out to individuals. I would be willing to handle that for a small fee (enough to pay for labor and packaging materials etc.) unless someone else is willing to do it or knows a service that can handle that.

This guy does beautiful work. I remember seeing his Tenuis case a couple years back on Bit-Tech. Cool to see that some of his work is available to buy now.

At least in the build photos the fan is oriented so air will be drawn air in from all sides and exhaust out the top, making it negative pressure. You could always reverse the fan, though it's hard to say how that will affect temperatures. I think generally if you have only one fan and have to choose between intake and exhaust, the latter is better for temperatures - especially a small case. It just won't be any good for dust control. Getting good airflow for low temps while maintaining positive pressure for dust control purposes is a major challenge in a small case.

Back