SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I don't have my am4 mounting kit. It will still be a couple of days but it looks like the v ram height is an issue

Has anyone built with the x370 asrock board. It just came in today and I had ordered the nhl9i and it doesn't look like it's going to fit.

The "i" in nh-l9i stands for Intel. You need the am4 adapter kit. It should be free from Noctua if you provide a receipt of purchase for a ryzen cpu and a noctua cooler.

Unless noctua now includes the am4 mounting hardware with every cooler...

1.Temps are same but the fan speed drops about 300 RPM, the temp of IO side is 25% more heat than the RAM side, so I think the best way is let the U-shaped heat pipe opening direction same with RAM side.

2.No, the colorful 1080TI CH has the vapor chamber cooler, same with Founders Edition. I consider FE perform better than Open Air in this small case.

3.https://hardforum.com/threads/lp-sff-cooler-mounting-adaptors-for-am4.1929996/

4.Yes, my case is set up vertically.

Thanks for clearing that up for me bud. And providing the am4 bracket link, Much appreciated!

I don't plan to overclock, however the guy who did my delid sent before/after stats of my CPU.
He did a slight overclock to 4.5Ghz on a test bench using the ASROCK Z170OCF motherboard.

test 1 4.5Ghz Prime95[Blend] 1.28V Test (compare before/after delid)
■88.50→69.75℃度 最高MAX温度 18.75℃低下/平均AVG温度 15.50℃低下 5分05秒 (5 minutes)
■97.25→75.75℃度 最高MAX温度 21.50℃低下/平均AVG温度 15.00℃低下 7分10秒 (7 minutes)

test 2 4.5Ghz Prime95[Blend] 1.28V Test (after delid)
■15分時点最高温度  MAX 77.0℃度 (Highest temp after 15 minutes)
■15分時点平均温度  AVR 64.5℃度  (Avg temp after 15 minutes)

test 3 4.5Ghz CINEBENCHI[Multithread] Test (before/after delid)
◆84.00→68.25℃度 最高MAX温度 15.75℃低下/平均AVG温度 12.75℃低下

Impresse results. I think whoever intends to use an Intel CPU in the Sentry or similar SFF systems should delid. My objective is to build a gaming sff pc that is at least while idling/office extemely silent.
https://www.youtube.com/user/timhaines01/videos
He uses the conductonaut liquid metal on graphics card, also really impressive and also seemingly easy to apply.
My LP53 arrived and tonight I ordered the conductonaut and the kryonaut, as well as an 25 mm x 92 mm fan, not the A9 from Noctua tho, but air flow should be similar. Also a 92 mm to 120 mm fan adapter but I doubt the combination would fit in a Sentry. Ill share the results.
My LP53 was rather cheap btw. I paid 30 Euro including shipping. It is used but looks mint and a A9x14 from Noctua was already attached with zip ties. Great deal.

Reactions: Ej24
like this
I say the 250D because to me it seems like a viable option for a home server case, if he will need one. Or a watercooled ITX case if he'll ever be into that. It's a good case and a step up from the Sentry if he ever wanted to go a little larger.

28L is still HUGE! It is 4 times as big as sentry. For home server or smth go for elite 110. Once you go small you will never wanna go bigger again.

So, I have an issue I'd like some feedback on. Here's the story:

1. I went with Asrock B350 ITX for my Sentry (loved GB's board, but Asrock ended up winning for me)
2. I'm looking to get all my parts in the next couple of weeks to test build/make sure no DOA (on the motherboard box, I don't have my Sentry yet).
3. I'm trying to find some compatible 16GB RAM 3000mhz(2933 etc.) or higher (B350 supported RAM link) (of note the x370 list is almost identical save a few extreme exceptions in the 32GB realm)

Problem: I'm having trouble finding RAM that's stated supported that has headroom for the drive bays. I'd probably be just fine picking up some TridentZ (RGB or otherwise) sticks, but they don't seem to allow clearance for the 2.5" drives, nor does anything else on this list that I can see.

Questions:
1. Does it matter if you go by the manufacturer supported RAM list? (I know you look for Ryzen supported memory, Samsung B-Die etc. etc. so I could pick up some Vengeance LPX or otherwise, but it's not on this list) Many people online suggest sticking to the supported RAM list.
2. Is there a way to get 2.5 drives in the sentry and still have clearance for RAM (maybe not using the support bracket? It all seems to depend on where your DIMM slots are located and I know removing the bracket will minimize support for the 2.5 slot. I'm also not decided on GPU yet, so I don't want to bank on the extra space there.

As always, thanks for the help!

Looks like with Ryzen it still does matter - I've got G.Skill RipJaws and they work on 2133MHz but their 3200MHz with XMP won't boot...

Looks like with Ryzen it still does matter - I've got G.Skill RipJaws and they work on 2133MHz but their 3200MHz with XMP won't boot...

Yeah, at least for the AsRock boards, Ripjaws aren't even on the list in 16GB modules. I'm trying to be really careful to avoid returns.

I'm taking a gamble with some Samsung B-die sticks at 3733 MHz CL18 not on the QVL for my incoming ASRock ab350. Shooting for 3200 MHz with tighter timings.

I'm taking a gamble with some Samsung B-die sticks at 3733 MHz CL18 not on the QVL for my incoming ASRock ab350. Shooting for 3200 MHz with tighter timings.

What sticks did you get? SKU if you have it. Thanks RosaJ

Last edited:
Questions:
1. Does it matter if you go by the manufacturer supported RAM list? (I know you look for Ryzen supported memory, Samsung B-Die etc. etc. so I could pick up some Vengeance LPX or otherwise, but it's not on this list) Many people online suggest sticking to the supported RAM list.

For most desktop platforms you'll be ok with almost any ram as long as it's not some exotic speed or capacity. Server boards are extremely picky about ram compatibility and I've found some dimms simply will not work at all. Really the only concern with ryzen is how high you can overclock the ram. Worst case scenario, you're stuck at 2133mhz.

I found a list of all Ryzen compatible ram and the max speed currently achievable with each sku. I can't seem to find it though. It may have been Tom's Hardware? I'll post the link if I find it.

1. I went with Asrock B350 ITX for my Sentry (loved GB's board, but Asrock ended up winning for me)
2. I'm looking to get all my parts in the next couple of weeks to test build/make sure no DOA (on the motherboard box, I don't have my Sentry yet).
3. I'm trying to find some compatible 16GB RAM 3000mhz(2933 etc.) or higher (B350 supported RAM link) (of note the x370 list is almost identical save a few extreme exceptions in the 32GB realm)

Problem: I'm having trouble finding RAM that's stated supported that has headroom for the drive bays. I'd probably be just fine picking up some TridentZ (RGB or otherwise) sticks, but they don't seem to allow clearance for the 2.5" drives, nor does anything else on this list that I can see.

Questions:
2. Is there a way to get 2.5 drives in the sentry and still have clearance for RAM (maybe not using the support bracket? It all seems to depend on where your DIMM slots are located and I know removing the bracket will minimize support for the 2.5 slot. I'm also not decided on GPU yet, so I don't want to bank on the extra space there.

I'm currently in process of doing an Intel build but I'm using 16GB of Team Dark Pro RAM in red (product # TDPRD416G3000HC15ADC). It's 3000 MHz and there's also a grey in 3200 MHz (TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01), both currently in stock at Newegg and are supposed to be Ryzen compatible. The timings are really good too. They have removable heatspreaders that bring the height to I think 37 mm. However, I can confirm that although it's a close fit, you can still use the hard drive bracket with the heatspreaders on due to the way they're shaped. BTW, looks like Newegg and Jet are the only way to get them AFAIK. 140 and 180 respectively. Hope this helps!

EDIT: The model # I have is TDPRD416G3000HC14ADC01 and not TDPRD416G3000HC15ADC.
EDIT #2: Looks like the TDPRD416G3000HC14ADC01 is OOS. Also the height with the heatspreaders on as measured from the gold teeth of the RAM is 44 mm. Timing for the grey 3200 Mhz is 14-14-14-31 and the TDPRD416G3000HC15ADC (red) is 15-15-15-35.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting. I have an 960 Evo M.2 drive as well as two 1TB class 2.5" SSDs.

QUAKE006 , how did the build go with those 2.5's and the FlareX? If you found a way for it all to fit, then that would answer a host of questions concerning clearance. Thanks!

Last edited:
QUAKE006 , how did the build go with those 2.5's and the FlareX? If you found a way for it all to fit, then that would answer a host of questions concerning clearance. Thanks!
I managed to fit one 2.5" drive in without the bracket and the drive does not touch the RAM. I need to get custom cables before I put in the second drive. So far so good, but I still have the case horizontal.

Questions:

I went with the ASRock X370 ITX. I chose this RAM (G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz for Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory F4-3200C16D-16GTZ). I didn't remember to check the QVL list for compatibility. It ended up not being on the list, but worked out anyway. I set the XMP profile for the RAM and it hit 3200MHz like a champ. I opted for a 1TB 960 EVO instead of 2.5" SSD's so I don't have to worry about the clearance. They don't seem that tall. I can check placing the bracket down if you'd like. Let me know.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What sticks did you get? SKU if you have it. Thanks RosaJ

Purchased these bad boys https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313618 in relation to this list: Reddit /r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_source=embedly&utm_name=e5c74e5e23924df8b5433bb4de355247&utm_term=62vp2g

I found a list of all Ryzen compatible ram and the max speed currently achievable with each sku. I can't seem to find it though. It may have been Tom's Hardware? I'll post the link if I find it.

This list?: Reddit /r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_source=embedly&utm_name=e5c74e5e23924df8b5433bb4de355247&utm_term=62vp2g

Last edited:
I went with the ASRock X370 ITX. I chose this RAM (G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz for Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory F4-3200C16D-16GTZ). I didn't remember to check the QVL list for compatibility. It ended up not being on the list, but worked out anyway. I set the XMP profile for the RAM and it hit 3200MHz like a champ. I opted for a 1TB 960 EVO instead of 2.5" SSD's so I don't have to worry about the clearance. They don't seem that tall. I can check placing the bracket down if you'd like. Let me know.

Justice Ranger thanks for this! I'd love to see a pic if you have one! This is very helpful!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys, I'd like to put a gtx 1080 in my watchman, what models are there? The list of compatible video cards is up to 1080, although the size should be the same

The "i" in nh-l9i stands for Intel. You need the am4 adapter kit. It should be free from Noctua if you provide a receipt of purchase for a ryzen cpu and a noctua cooler.

Unless noctua now includes the am4 mounting hardware with every cooler...

Yes it's not the bracket that's the problem. I don't have the bracket yet but just setting it on the board without the intel bracket on. it hits on the vram. It's too wide for the asrock x370. At least it looked that way. The stock amd cooler has a little notch in the bottom of the heat sink and then it flares out a little. They designed the vram to fit with that notch perfectly. So the nhl9i is too wide for the board. Looking at the nhl9a. It's the same with just a little longer on the other side. So noctua might not be working for x370.

Yes it's not the bracket that's the problem. I don't have the bracket yet but just setting it on the board without the intel bracket on. it hits on the vram. It's too wide for the asrock x370. At least it looked that way. The stock amd cooler has a little notch in the bottom of the heat sink and then it flares out a little. They designed the vram to fit with that notch perfectly. So the nhl9i is too wide for the board. Looking at the nhl9a. It's the same with just a little longer on the other side. So noctua might not be working for x370.
I have the Noctua NHL9a on my Gigabyte mini ITX AM4 Motherboard.

Anyone any experience with the Gigabyte AM4 ITX boards in combination with the corsair Power cables? Wondering if the CPU cable is long enough and how cable management is with this board layout.

Opened my phone today to the greatest message ever!

Attachments

• ItsComing.png
    ItsComing.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 58
Hey guys, I'd like to put a gtx 1080 in my watchman, what models are there? The list of compatible video cards is up to 1080, although the size should be the same

I recommend a Founders Edition. I am satisfied with my 1080 Founders Edition. It is the best "blower" type of GPU. Other blower gpu are available but the Founders Edition has the best performance. Perhaps those who purchased "open air" type 1080's can comment about their performance.

How long does it actually take to ship the product? The last I heard about it was on June 12th "Item arrived 2017-06-12 10:19 WER Pruszcz Gd." I live in the United States on the east coast. Is there an ETA for these kinds of packages?
East Coaster here. From the first white sentry shipment. USPS just received my package at their NJ Distro Hub today per tracking details. You could try posting your tracking number from Sentry into USPS and see what they got. Regards.

Gallium melts at 29C. It just always worries me it will flow or drip. But obviously nobody would risk it if it were a very common problem. Does it ever "dry out"? I've heard some people complain it has to be reapplied almost once per year. Or is that dependent on thermal cycles? I may give it a try on a pentium G3258 I have lying around. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to do it to my 4790k in my Sentry.

I was a little bored while I wait for my shipment so I decided to pick up a cleaning tool
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Yc98L528L._SY355_.jpg
and delid my i3-4170. It was really easy. Cleaned it and for the lack of a Thermal Grizzly paste I just went with Arctic MX-4 and a really weak cooler I had lying around (EKL Silvretta). I didnt even glue the IHS back on. Just with the CPU bracket put in place. The difference in the prime stress test was nearly 20 degrees celsius. You should really go for it on your 4790k, you can stick to non conductive thermal paste, less risky, but still a huge difference.

Ok not so funny story. I had time tonight to mess around with the l9i tonight and it fits the x370 asrock board perfectly. With the right mounting kit obviously. But there is a small cut out on one side that fits right over the vram. I think when I was rushing and opening up everything the other night I didn't look at it close enough. So anyone with the x370 asrock board l9i fits like a glove.

USPS posted my package has hit the U.S. Thanks wicked sweet bacon for the heads up. I have a white sentry headed to my house too. I can't wait.

Ok not so funny story. I had time tonight to mess around with the l9i tonight and it fits the x370 asrock board perfectly. With the right mounting kit obviously. But there is a small cut out on one side that fits right over the vram. I think when I was rushing and opening up everything the other night I didn't look at it close enough. So anyone with the x370 asrock board l9i fits like a glove.

That makes sense. One side of the fin stack doesn't go down as low. Is that what you're referring to? Are the fins parallel or perpendicular to the ram? Parallel is best.

Sorry for my english, i would buy a GTX 1080 ti , founder edition Is ok?

For the 1080ti the founders edition heatsink is barely sufficient to maintain a small boost when temperature allows. However it will usually be at 84C+. An open air type of 1080ti will probably be better, you just have to select one that fits in Sentry. I know several Sentry owners are using open air 1080ti. Either read the last few pages or wait for them to respond with their opinions.

That makes sense. One side of the fin stack doesn't go down as low. Is that what you're referring to? Are the fins parallel or perpendicular to the ram? Parallel is best.
They are perpendicular. There is no way to rotate it 90 degrees. Plus with knowing that there will be a clearance issue. A custom bracket will work with the asrock x370 board

Last edited:

Questions:

I looked at AMD's own ram compatible list. Rams at 3200 seems to be at 14 cas timing. So I think you might get any ram to work at the frequency if it is rated at 14 cas.

Also just got updated USPS tracking. 1st batch of white Sentry. Last message was May 29 showing "Processed at PRUSZCZ GDANSKI WER, POLAND". Region is US Midwest.

So all in all 7 weeks of zero updates coming across the Atlantic if that helps anyone else ballpark.
This is really helpful. Since mine was sent from Poland on 7/4, that means I should probably look for my update the week of August 22nd, or the week after. Thanks to all who updated us with your shipping information! This is great news to help set expectations for those of us who are working with future shipments!

Hello guys, I'm new here - just registered to say thank you to SaperPL and ZombiPL for this beautiful case, and maybe to ask you guys some questions along the way (when I start building).

Even though I haven't been looking for some time for cool and cheap steambox like case for gaming PC, but my friend did. He came across Sentry on indiegogo, and in the end settled for node 202 because of availibility and price (at the time). Needless to say that he's now regretting that decision (considering that he's expending similar amount to what I spend backing Sentry) and currently waiting for retail.

I join crowdfunding campaign on January with order ID 807. Patiently waiting while keeping updated through indiegogo. July 2nd I get the shipping information. July 9th Sentry Accepted in my country. And finally, July 15th I get to record my unboxing of my Unit no 525. I'm delaying to post this until I finished reading this Sentry thread. And later maybe posting finished build after I get compatible cooler (very hard to find in my country).

Once again, thank you for this great case, that fitting mostly standard gaming grade pc parts, and even more sexy than any steambox case.

Also just got updated USPS tracking. 1st batch of white Sentry. Last message was May 29 showing "Processed at PRUSZCZ GDANSKI WER, POLAND". Region is US Midwest.

So all in all 7 weeks of zero updates coming across the Atlantic if that helps anyone else ballpark.

I'm also 1st batch of white sentry. Located in Minnesota, US. This was extremely helpful.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Gigabyte 1080 Gaming G1 and the Windforce 3x? I don't care about the backplate, but if there's a difference in cooling I would concider spending more for the G1...

Back