SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I hate being relegated to to r5 1600 or r7 1700 because of lack of cooling options totally annoying upside my case probably won't be here for at least another month, here's hoping a mini miracle happens between now and then in regards to low profile ryzen cooler options

You've already stated you don't want to even think about overclocking, "no matter how easy it is," so I have to ask...

Why in the everloving hell is .3 MHz of boost clock so gosh-darned important to you that you're that upset you can't spend an extra $180 on it?

You've already stated you don't want to even think about overclocking, "no matter how easy it is," so I have to ask...

Why in the everloving hell is .3 MHz of boost clock so gosh-darned important to you that you're that upset you can't spend an extra $180 on it?
It's not not about the boost clock otherwise I would have stated that...it's the all core at 3.0 vs all at 3.6 and as far as the $180 it's my money no? I can be lazy if I want and I'm one of the very many who don't do over clocking...those that do are a very small minority. I want the best performance out of box I can get and 1800x is it not the 1700 non x

It's not not about the boost clock otherwise I would have stated that...it's the all core at 3.0 vs all at 3.6 and as far as the $180 it's my money no? I can be lazy if I want and I'm one of the very many who don't do over clocking...those that do are a very small minority. I want the best performance out of box I can get and 1800x is it not the 1700 non x

I'm not familiar with Ryzen/am4 uefi, does it allow you to set turbo clocks for certain numbers of cores? For example my Z97 board allows me to set the turbo frequency for 1, 2, 3 and all 4 core turbo. Without even changing stock frequency or voltage I can push the single core turbo up to 4.6ghz on my i7-4790K. Does ryzen allow the same fine grain control of turbo clocks? From what I've read it seems overclocking is all or nothing unfortunately.

What did they do
Im the guy whose case they damaged with a hook and are refusing to take responsibility for mentioned in the update(I described it quite a few pages ago) I did not know they had refused the claim. I would have had to have xray vision to tell something was wrong and I also did not even get to touch the package before the driver ran away, so they are being incredibly unreasonable. I did get a new side panel and the chip in the paint is small and on the back so its ok, but the principle in it just pisses me off.

Im the guy whose case they damaged with a hook and are refusing to take responsibility for mentioned in the update(I described it quite a few pages ago) I did not know they had refused the claim. I would have had to have xray vision to tell something was wrong and I also did not even get to touch the package before the driver ran away, so they are being incredibly unreasonable. I did get a new side panel and the chip in the paint is small and on the back so its ok, but the principle in it just pisses me off.

The problem is, if the package wasn't resealed at the transferring hub which would be a sign of damage at that location, they are most likely penalising the drivers for the damage claims and therefore the driver will try to shove you the package and run away before you notice the damage.

Your package wasn't the only one being pierced by the hooks, from the photos we had from people who got the packages there were multiple packages treated like this.

The reason is most likely the fact that if some packages are blocking the automated transferring/sorting machines (roller conveyors with some selection mechanisms) then the guys overseeing this shouldn't get close for safety reasons, but solve this with some tool on a stick and obviously pulling with a hook is better than pushing the package out of the conveyor and putting them back again properly. But that's just reasonable explanation, it might be the fact that it's just easier, faster and cheaper for them to do it this way...

ljirghc7fnbun237pous.jpg

As this photo shows, they also don't care about the stickers showing they shouldn't use hooks...

Whatever the reason is, they shouldn't be allowed to do such thing with regular box package that is insured, but life shows they don't care as long as you don't make a formal claim before signing the papers. So please guys, check your packages before signing the delivery confirmation.

The problem is, if the package wasn't resealed at the transferring hub which would be a sign of damage at that location, they are most likely penalising the drivers for the damage claims and therefore the driver will try to shove you the package and run away before you notice the damage.

Your package wasn't the only one being pierced by the hooks, from the photos we had from people who got the packages there were multiple packages treated like this.

The reason is most likely the fact that if some packages are blocking the automated transferring/sorting machines (roller conveyors with some selection mechanisms) then the guys overseeing this shouldn't get close for safety reasons, but solve this with some tool on a stick and obviously pulling with a hook is better than pushing the package out of the conveyor and putting them back again properly. But that's just reasonable explanation, it might be the fact that it's just easier, faster and cheaper for them to do it this way...

As this photo shows, they also don't care about the stickers showing they shouldn't use hooks...

Whatever the reason is, they shouldn't be allowed to do such thing with regular box package that is insured, but life shows they don't care as long as you don't make a formal claim before signing the papers. So please guys, check your packages before signing the delivery confirmation.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to remind people that they can get back at them a tiny bit by lowering their score on trust pilot

So I'm pretty sure my case was first batch and my tracking number no longer displays any shipping history. What am I missing?

So I'm pretty sure my case was first batch and my tracking number no longer displays any shipping history. What am I missing?

There should appear text with secondary search button for packages that are older than month:
b) Search for the item with the specified number within the extended period (9 months)

Same exact situation happened to me, and this morning I just got a notification from usps that it's stateside. Plug the Polska tracking number into usps tracking and see if yours shows up there. Mine did.

Got no notification from either carrier other than the USPS guy showing up at my door. Other than some rips on the plastic wrap, the box itself was intact to the touch(They wont let you open anything before signing). Will post more info and some pics if needed shortly.

It should be noted that when sealed in the plastic wrap (any unit literally "shipped") the fragile and handling instructions are obscured. It may be a good idea to repeat those on the outer packaging for units shipped this way.

Update #1: After removing the plastic wrapping material, there was a small ding to the outer box, the foam padding and packing material did however keep this from damaging the main box with the case. Which is itself undamaged in any way.

Last edited:
It should be noted that when sealed in the plastic wrap (any unit literally "shipped") the fragile and handling instructions are obscured. It may be a good idea to repeat those on the outer packaging for units shipped this way.

The internal box was designed mostly for retail with those signs meaning those could be stacked up on single pallet, and then delivered as a whole to the retailer. Those are for retailers to let them know that the case shouldn't be shipped on its own without safe packaging. This way the boxes would take lot less place at the retailers stock and they would still be shipping it in a bigger box along with motherboard, cpu and other components with some other fillers. Whole pallet can be protected a bit differently without wasting this much space (as we are taking with the transport foam profiles) as well.

Anyway we haven't changed the printing on the box because the printing matrix costs quite a lot and doing this just to remov signs invisible from the external package would be waste of money.

As for why there are no such signs on the external package - it's simple - at some point shipping companies started taking huge additional fees when the package is marked this way (as fragile/glass) and in effect each package would cost almost twice as much you've paid now while not really making any difference. It's just better to make the package properly to survive shipping conditions than overpay for still rough handling.

So in short - the internal product box is quite fragile and thus has to be properly packaged for shipment :)

The internal box was designed mostly for retail with those signs meaning those could be stacked up on single pallet, and then delivered as a whole to the retailer. Those are for retailers to let them know that the case shouldn't be shipped on its own without safe packaging. This way the boxes would take lot less place at the retailers stock and they would still be shipping it in a bigger box along with motherboard, cpu and other components with some other fillers. Whole pallet can be protected a bit differently without wasting this much space (as we are taking with the transport foam profiles) as well.

Anyway we haven't changed the printing on the box because the printing matrix costs quite a lot and doing this just to remov signs invisible from the external package would be waste of money.

As for why there are no such signs on the external package - it's simple - at some point shipping companies started taking huge additional fees when the package is marked this way (as fragile/glass) and in effect each package would cost almost twice as much you've paid now while not really making any difference. It's just better to make the package properly to survive shipping conditions than overpay for still rough handling.

So in short - the internal product box is quite fragile and thus has to be properly packaged for shipment :)

Yes, I've had the chance to sort through the full box now, everything is intact and the packaging did its job despite the minor external dents and tears (y). Waiting on a little more comfortable weather (its 94F/34C here today) to get building!

Last edited:
Can you thought? I think reviews clearly stated that Optane is useless for SDD drivers, and provides a modest improvement to regular HDDs.

It will slightly boost Sata ssd speeds. Slightly. Under very specific conditions. It's still not as fast as having just a nvme drive. While I haven't used an nvme drive myself, only Sata ssd's, but I assume the difference between nvme and Sata ssd is not nearly as big as the difference between Sata ssd and Sata hdd. Just having an ssd at all is almost always better than a hdd in any situation.

It will slightly boost Sata ssd speeds. Slightly. Under very specific conditions. It's still not as fast as having just a nvme drive. While I haven't used an nvme drive myself, only Sata ssd's, but I assume the difference between nvme and Sata ssd is not nearly as big as the difference between Sata ssd and Sata hdd. Just having an ssd at all is almost always better than a hdd in any situation.

Have you seen the Linus video where he tests Optane with SSD?

You would see a difference between a SSD and a good NVMe, depending on what you're doing, though probably not during casual, every-day usage. The difference between and HDD and an SSD is pretty monumental of course.
That being said, I don't think there would be any difference between an SSD and an SSD with Optane. AFAIK even Intel says it was not meant for such a usage scenario.

I think optane would be great if paired with a fairly large HDD, like 2tb-5tb? I'm not sure how it works, really, but if it can speed up a large HDD like this, that's cool. Sounds good for a home server PC.

I've just received my white sentry. Despite of russian post service the box is an excelent condition and hasn't any external damage(y)
But when I opened it i found a big gap between front panel and right side panel. Is it normal edge finish?
20170613_144400[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20170613_151546[1].jpg
    20170613_151546[1].jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
And what about painting of front panel edge?

From painting point of view, such edge finish can happen in this or other places, especially with structural powder coating. It usually depends how was the surface prepared before the painting (electrostatic characteristics) and how was it painted (position, amount of paint, temperatures in the furnace, stability in transport, etc.) We do not know how they are doing this process in our 2nd paintshop, because we aren't allowed to go there and watch it (some company rules). If you look closely everyone probably would find some of the similar edges in their Sentry, simply because this is very close to handmade product and this is one of the places where you can notice that this case wasn't made/painted by robots or automatic painting machines which are very repeatable. Probably bigger amount of paint particles gathered on that edge (you simply can't guess that from a photo). Our quality control before packing is usually checking the external aesthetics of the case (when it is screwed). Even if somewhere such edge with such finish exists, but it is unseen when case it screwed, the case isn't rejected.

Please insert your PSU inside, screw the top cover and then check if there is a problem with aesthetics of the case.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
I got an update saying the box is shipped from Poland. Got updated in USPS as well.

Anyone got an idea of the timeline? Like when it will be reaching US West Coast?

I got an update saying the box is shipped from Poland. Got updated in USPS as well.

Anyone got an idea of the timeline? Like when it will be reaching US West Coast?

In which shipment is your order? The update you mentioned was from USPS?

In which shipment is your order? The update you mentioned was from USPS?

I got the mail from you on saturday. So batch #3 I assume. And I checked USPS website today and it is showing up as shipped from Poland.

It's around 6 weeks according to Polish Post. People with orders from the shipment #1 in the US are just starting to get their packages this week.

Can someone tell me the weight of the case fully loaded with pc parts? Thanks.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Sure, it's 13.6 lbs. Measured three times (got the same even changing positions on the scale) and divided by three.

Bulk Item Specs:
White case
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo with Titan XP cooler
Corsair SF600
1 SSD and 1 HDD
Dynatron R15 w/ C7 fan

So ymmv p/m 1lbs I'm assuming.

My short to mid term tech requirements have changed - If anyone really wants a Sentry get in touch via DM as I am considering selling my spot

Reactions: Rysen
like this
Back