Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Can anyone explain why 4k@30 and 1080p@120 are the same data rate yet 1080p@120 has virtually no latency? I notice the color and tint settings are disabled in 1080p@120, is there any way to hack out extra processing in the 4k mode?

Can anyone explain why 4k@30 and 1080p@120 are the same data rate yet 1080p@120 has virtually no latency? I notice the color and tint settings are disabled in 1080p@120, is there any way to hack out extra processing in the 4k mode?

I am interested about the color and tint settings/filters that are in 4k mode and not in 1080/120

No chance. The panel is 4 channel LVDS. Not enough bandwidth for 60hz 4k without a new internals for the HDMI side and a new timing controller for the panel side.

huo, you sure? my understanding is that they can cram 4:2:0 60Hz 4k into HDMI 1.4 bandwidth, so the information should make it. that timing controller thingy you mention may still be the issue. some guy in the nvidia subfoprum tried it for gaming and liked it, though I'm sure I'd need to throw another grand into hardware to go above 30 fps at 4k anyway.

btw, ty for the firmware. if you can, you should edit your first post to link to it so we can direct noobs more easily.

huo, you sure? my understanding is that they can cram 4:2:0 60Hz 4k into HDMI 1.4 bandwidth, so the information should make it. that timing controller thingy you mention may still be the issue. some guy in the nvidia subfoprum tried it for gaming and liked it, though I'm sure I'd need to throw another grand into hardware to go above 30 fps at 4k anyway.

btw, ty for the firmware. if you can, you should edit your first post to link to it so we can direct noobs more easily.

Well I was assuming normal chroma, normal colordepth, etc... Obviously if you run 4-bit color then yeah you can push more Hz...

It still needs support of 420 format on TV side. I seen claims that all 4K TVs should have it, but still it needs to be tested first. After all, Seiki's primary focus was on cutting costs, and it's of 1st gen 4K TVs. So someone with kepler+ gpu & seiki should test it and report results.

It still needs support of 420 format on TV side. I seen claims that all 4K TVs should have it, but still it needs to be tested first. After all, Seiki's primary focus was on cutting costs, and it's of 1st gen 4K TVs. So someone with kepler+ gpu & seiki should test it and report results.

Also the panel itself did not have any spec for 60Hz input @ 4k (just 30hz). I didn't think that was necessarily the case with the other tv's that people got the 60hz working on too.

Hi Houkouonchi,

Any chance of setting up these seiki tv's or.. Mod the driver /patch the driver somehow to force lower chroma subsample, like what nvidia's done?

I use AMD I dunno if AMD will do it them self but I would like to use this set even if it's a customizable Chroma Subsample..

Like running above 30hz would be great even 40/45/50HZ
doesnt need to be the full 60HZ.. maybe we keep more colours too if we run 45hz and can go 4:2:2 or something?!?!

Any news regarding the custom board? I was wondering if it would be possible to have the possibility of the screen divided in 2 parts, each connected with a DP 1.3 connection and each outputting at 1920*2160@120hz, since the panel itself supports 120hz. :D
After that it's just a matter of merging the screens with Eyefinity and, boom!, first 3840x2160@120hz monitor! :D

Anyone have any comparisons of the 1080p 120hz smoothness of seiki VS the 1440p 120hz smoothness of korean QNIX?

I heard the 120hz effect of korean QNIX is far from the native 120hz TN panels,
is that also true for the seiki?

Also is this display glossy,AG or plasma disposition or glass?a

Any news regarding the custom board? I was wondering if it would be possible to have the possibility of the screen divided in 2 parts, each connected with a DP 1.3 connection and each outputting at 1920*2160@120hz, since the panel itself supports 120hz. :D
After that it's just a matter of merging the screens with Eyefinity and, boom!, first 3840x2160@120hz monitor! :D

I would like ANY response from them at this time.

They have dropped off the earth for months now, so I am afraid that they have stopped working on it......

Can somebody please give us an official reply that the project is still being worked on?

Has anyone experimented with the beta nvidia drivers and the Seiki?

Lets drop the custom board 120Hz 4k vaporware talk now that Seiki has announced DP 1.3 versions for Q1 2015. Sinuhet's just playing Duke Nukem Forever while he waits for his bro Godot to show.

I have the 39" of this, no firmware upgrade. Just installed Windows 8.1 (fresh install, new SSD) and I'm encountering the strangest issues ever.
(1) Chrome looks like crap vs IE. WTF??
(2) Extremely bad flickering but only once I click start and all those tiles pop up. Its more or less unuseable, have to hit escape to go back to desktop.

Not sure if its display related even but figured I'd try my luck here since all you guys in this thread have been super helpful.

Walmart has the 50 at $429 and the 39 at $299 today, and Amazon will price match. How low can it go?

holy shit, $299. That's the lowest it's ever been. Chatting with Amazon now!

EDIT: They matched the price.

Shit, that's cheaper than my Catleap was when new ($330, IIRC). I think it's time to try 4k out!

Yeah. I wish I had a handle on how bad the mouse cursor will be at 30hz under Windows. The closest I can try is 24hz with my projector and it is a bit painful.

I know that turning off Aero helps some, but that is not practical for me since I edit video and don't want tearing.

Dammit, if only Seiki had put DP1.2 on them, for 60hz, they'd be selling MILLIONS of them! :mad:

Yep $299 at Amazon, wonder if they are clearing them out. Can't convince myself to pull the trigger because of the 4k@30hz. Does the custom 1440p rez/hack work well game wise?

Anyone know if this will do PIP of 2 hdmi sources side by side? To replace 2 1080p monitors showing different content all day?

Last edited:
I ended up returning mine - a vertical line developed in the screen. Awesome deal at 299 though if you get a good one. Seiki has also announced a 28", 32" and 40" 4k with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 for first quarter of 2015......

I ended up returning mine - a vertical line developed in the screen. Awesome deal at 299 though if you get a good one. Seiki has also announced a 28", 32" and 40" 4k with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 for first quarter of 2015......

Cool, I know my mount will take 28's, maybe I can stretch a 32". DP and HDMI 2.0 ? Yes! OK I guess I will have to wait until next year then.... sigh.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah. I wish I had a handle on how bad the mouse cursor will be at 30hz under Windows. The closest I can try is 24hz with my projector and it is a bit painful.

I know that turning off Aero helps some, but that is not practical for me since I edit video and don't want tearing.

Its acceptable for me, but YMMV. I'm not particularly sensitive to these things though.

Takes a little getting-used-to, but it's not unusable. You'll have to adjust; it does feel slower, but it's not a big deal unless you just can't get over the difference in a few milliseconds (or tens, maybe a hundred, but you get the picture).

So some people say they prefer this monitor over their 27" Korean IPS 1440p displays

how does this compare to some of the 1080p 120Hz displays in terms of image quality, ghosting, blur and etc?

and both the 50" and 39" are confirmed for 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, and 2560x1440 @ 60Hz?

would hate to pick this up and then hate the IQ on it, Running an Asus VG278H now for my desktop monitor and have a 55" cheap LCD HDTV mounted on the wall above it for movies and full screen maps when in games... so would be nice to consolidate down to 1 monitor

i use mine mostly at 1080p 120hz, 4k just for watching video and some heavy working with multiples windows open . but then again i have a very high DPI mouse with mouse acceleration on. a regular 1600 dpi mouse is intolerable at 4k 30hz.

Oddly, my display has started blanking more often than usual, but only under Windows 7, not hackintosh. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas or references?

Windows 7, EVGA 650 TI, Belkin mini dvi to dvi, huoko's firmware, 1080p 120hz cvt reduced blank in nvidia resolution prog.

Oddly, my display has started blanking more often than usual, but only under Windows 7, not hackintosh. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas or references?

Windows 7, EVGA 650 TI, Belkin mini dvi to dvi, huoko's firmware, 1080p 120hz cvt reduced blank in nvidia resolution prog.

Are you saying belkin mini dp -> HDMI?

The only acceptable connections to drive this display is via the native HDMI port or the accel *active* dp 1.1/1.2 -> HDMI 1.4 adapter. If your using some regular passive DP -> HDMI adapter your probably going to have problems.

sorry, mini hdmi to hdmi.

My non-kepler (fermi) graphics cards had problems pushing 4k and 120hz 1080p stable. I know that 4k support was supposedly only for kepler. Most 600 series graphics cards are kepler but I only know of fermi that had micro HDMI. I wonder if there is some issue with micro HDMI specifically.

The GTX 470 that also had micro HDMI did not work stable for me so I replaced it with a geforce gtx 670.

I assume a ti series 650 would have to be kepler...

Maybe try to stay away from CVT-R timings. The 1080p 120hz mode I use (which is also in the firmware) which works well is 297 Mhz pixel clock. If its CVT-R then its only around 285 Mhz pixel clock. CVT-R might be to tight for stability on the seiki.

I had the blanking problem -forever- with my GTX570's. (Mentioned a lot of times earlier in this thread, and no solution really 'worked'.)

Asus R9-290X with 14.4Catalst drivers -- never happens. Currently running 1920 * 1080 @ 120Hz (which is really 60Hz, but it still looks smoother) since 3840 * 2160 is just too tiny to be useful, even on a 39" screen, with my ancient eyes.

So I think it's a driver issue, rather than a monitor issue, although it is a completely different kind of video card ... and many green-card owners don't experience the hassle of random screen blanking.

I had the blanking problem -forever- with my GTX570's. (Mentioned a lot of times earlier in this thread, and no solution really 'worked'.)

Asus R9-290X with 14.4Catalst drivers -- never happens. Currently running 1920 * 1080 @ 120Hz (which is really 60Hz, but it still looks smoother) since 3840 * 2160 is just too tiny to be useful, even on a 39" screen, with my ancient eyes.

So I think it's a driver issue, rather than a monitor issue, although it is a completely different kind of video card ... and many green-card owners don't experience the hassle of random screen blanking.

Why didn't you get the 50" screen? It's not that much more expensive...

Maybe try to stay away from CVT-R timings. The 1080p 120hz mode I use (which is also in the firmware) which works well is 297 Mhz pixel clock. If its CVT-R then its only around 285 Mhz pixel clock. CVT-R might be to tight for stability on the seiki.

Just checked in hackintosh, definitely stable at 4k with a 297 pixel clock. In Windows, its ~283 for CVT reduced and "automatic"-- none of the default options results in 297 for 1080p120. I'll fiddle with it later, but suspect that I'll have to manually mess with the timings.

Back