Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

my 39 inch with its stock firmware actually correctly did the power off and correctly turned on after getting input but it no longer does this since flashing it with my custom or the 50 inch firmware.

Long time reader first time poster!

I keep spamming the refresh on this thread, in the hopes that the motherboard replacement pops up.

Please keep us posted because I keep throwing money on my screen but nothing happens :p

Just double checking:
Is there any way to stop the randoms blackouts of the TV at 1080p@120Hz?
i am using the 50" firmware with direct hdmi>hdmi connection on NVIDIA 780.

Just double checking:
Is there any way to stop the randoms blackouts of the TV at 1080p@120Hz?
i am using the 50" firmware with direct hdmi>hdmi connection on NVIDIA 780.

Yes, that means you have not set your timings correct. I had the same issue on my Nvidia Titan and 50".

1920x1080
Front Porch: 88,4 (Horizontal, Vertical)
Sync Width: 44,5
Back Porch: 148,36
Blanking: 280,45
Total: 2200,1125

Refresh Rate: 119.878
Horizontal: 134.863
Pixel Clock: 296.70

Yes, that means you have not set your timings correct. I had the same issue on my Nvidia Titan and 50".

1920x1080

Yeah I pretty much never have blackouts on my 39 inch or 50 inch seiki.

Still no update on the 60hz motherboard?

While there has been a lot of talk on the subject, that's about we have at the moment. I would have expected regular updates, photos, etc from the team.

I'm interested in 60hz. The money I'd invest into an upgrade will likely be put towards a 60hz 4k display. Hopefully larger than 28".

Yeah, is development even going on? You would think they would post their progress on at least a weekly basis. Since most their target audience is watching this thread....

I bought and tried a Seiki SE39UY04 39" 4K in late 2013.

I thought it was a fairly good experience and I wasn't terribly bothered by the 30Hz limitation at 3840x2160. That's not to say that I didn't take any notice of it though. However, I ended up giving the Seiki to my sister as a Christmas present thinking I could do better in early 2014 (first or second quarter).

The 28" Samsung U28D590D was an improvement so I bought one for personal use but its a good deal smaller then the 39" Seiki. 30Hz on the Samsung oddly enough is actually very good and virtually undetectable as a low refresh rate IMO (unlike the Seiki) but its great at 60Hz too.

Anyway, I decided to buy her a Seiki 40" 1080p display (~$279 USD) and swap it for the Seiki 39" 4K (with her blessing). This way I can give it another go, maybe this time with the 50" Firmware,....

If the people working on the new motherboard need funding, they should start a kickstarter campaign.

I know I would pay in advance for my motherboard as long as a respectable company like kickstarter is looking into their venture.

Imho there should be rather kickstarter campaign for DP 1.2 > HDMI 2.0 adapter.

For starters, I apologize for my poor English.

Is there any way to make hdmi-CEC work?

Sorry, I haven't been able to find it as I don't get anything searching CEC in the thread. Thanks

I know I would pay in advance for my motherboard as long as a respectable company like kickstarter is looking into their venture.

Sounds like you don't really understand how Kickstarter works. They accept no responsibility for a project's success/failure.

1920x1080

long story short.; i had CRU with those timings, but was using NVIDIA custom resolution, where i can't set all the above numbers:eek:.
When i selected the " normal 1920x1080 PC resolution ( NOT the custom one), 120hz showed up, this time without hiccups or blankings.TYVM:D

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't really understand how Kickstarter works. They accept no responsibility for a project's success/failure.

More like you don't read the fine print. Kickstarter keeps the money until the goal is reached. If by the time the goal is reached and the company cannot supply them with a proper business plan and/or a working prototype then they cannot get any funds.

Kickstarter changed their policy since a few people got ripped off.

long story short.; i had CRU with those timings, but was using NVIDIA custom resolution, where i can't set all the above numbers. When i selected the " normal 1920x1080 PC resolution ( NOT the custom one), 120hz showed up, this time without hiccups or blankings.TYVM:D

I am glad we could help ^_^

More like you don't read the fine print. Kickstarter keeps the money until the goal is reached. If by the time the goal is reached and the company cannot supply them with a proper business plan and/or a working prototype then they cannot get any funds.

Kickstarter changed their policy since a few people got ripped off.

Huh?? What do you mean goal is reached? If the company doesn't get its funds once funding is successful what is the point of even going on kickstarter? They need the funds to get their company/product off the ground right.

Huh?? What do you mean goal is reached? If the company doesn't get its funds once funding is successful what is the point of even going on kickstarter? They need the funds to get their company/product off the ground right.

finantial goal. a project says it needs 50k to start product development. the project will only see that money from KS if the 50k goal is reached. or at least that was what i was led to believe:confused:

finantial goal. a project says it needs 50k to start product development. the project will only see that money from KS if the 50k goal is reached. or at least that was what i was led to believe:confused:

Yes thats correct, but financial goal is in no way related to actual working product prototype type goal

hi guys if someone fried main board I d like to buy good LCD panel preferred 39" please send private message tx

Anyone know if you can hack the 39" to do LightBoost? Read through half the thread and no mention of anyone even trying.

sorry I'm sure this has been answered but [h] doesn't let me search for "4:4:4"
This display handles 4:4:4 correctly, right?

Just set up my 39" I received today from Amazon. I've got some quick questions. I followed the instructions on Seiki's site to update the firmware but nothing happened. No red/blue blinking on the set after putting in the firmware on an empty USB key and plugging in the power cable. I turned it back on after removing the key and same old thing. Also, how do you get into the service menu to check your firmware version? Pressing Menu then 0000 didn't do anything.

Edit: NVM, I got to the service menu. Mine says it was produced back in Aug 2013. Nothing new there.

Got mine (39") yesterday, flashed it to the modded firmware today, and it's way better than I ever hoped for. You can play fast twitch games in 1080p at 120hz with barely any blur. For other games 4K 30hz works very well, actually, much better than I expected. I play Assetto Corsa in 4K at 30hz and the added screen resolution and size makes it way easier to drive despite the lower frames. It's the difference between looking at a tiny box and having a view that takes advantage of your full FOV. After seeing this playing on a 28" 4K screen would be like playing on an iPad.

I have a 50" coming that I'm planning to use in the 4k 30hz mode and people are telling me I need to get the "right firmware" to be happy with it hooked up to my PC.

The thread here is huge!!

Any chance someone could kindly point me to what I need to know and do when the tv arrives on Tuesday?

Thank you!

Go here: http://www.seiki.com/support/downloads.php#remote

and download the firmware for the 50. Unzip it and put it on an empty FAT32 USB drive. Plug it into the TV, then press "menu, 0000" to get into the service menu. Go down to software upgrade, and you're done.

Enjoy, this set was a revelation for me. A large 120hz+ 4K monitor capable of 3D would probably be the singularity of flat-panel display tech.

Go here: http://www.seiki.com/support/downloads.php#remote

and download the firmware for the 50. Unzip it and put it on an empty FAT32 USB drive. Plug it into the TV, then press "menu, 0000" to get into the service menu. Go down to software upgrade, and you're done.

Enjoy, this set was a revelation for me. A large 120hz+ 4K monitor capable of 3D would probably be the singularity of flat-panel display tech.

Perfect!
Thank you for the instructions!!

I have a 50" coming that I'm planning to use in the 4k 30hz mode and people are telling me I need to get the "right firmware" to be happy with it hooked up to my PC.

The thread here is huge!!

Any chance someone could kindly point me to what I need to know and do when the tv arrives on Tuesday?

Thank you!

Also, houkouonchi created some custom monitor drivers to make setting up 120hz 1080p and 240hz 720p easy if you want to try that. Here's the post, I think there's another version with 60hz disabled somewhere in the thread if you have trouble getting Windows to stay at 120hz.

In my experience 120hz is great for video (playing video at 30hz 4k doesn't look right to me, it seems to create some stuttering) and fast-paced games. The only downside is that the custom refresh rates seem to handle color differently. Adjusting the Display Color settings in Catalyst Control Center fixes it for me (Saturation 150, Contrast 125).

Last edited:
I am looking into purchasing the 39" version. I am curious if the lag under 4k is better with windows 7 since vsync can be disabled? Or does it run fine with windows 8.1? I have both options but will primarily be using it with ubuntu for development work.

When i ran Win7, i had to disable Aero to get the lag to stop. I have since upgraded to Win8.1, and i did not have to change anything, and it ran just as well as Win7 did with aero disabled.

I am looking into purchasing the 39" version. I am curious if the lag under 4k is better with windows 7 since vsync can be disabled? Or does it run fine with windows 8.1? I have both options but will primarily be using it with ubuntu for development work.

Its gotten even cheaper since Amazon now has the 39" model for ~$389.99 which is the cheapest I've seen.

In Windows and OS X it seems to be fine but I haven't tested it in Linux. Are you sure you would get the full 30Hz in Linux,...?

Its gotten even cheaper since Amazon now has the 39" model for ~$389.99 which is the cheapest I've seen.

In Windows and OS X it seems to be fine but I haven't tested it in Linux. Are you sure you would get the full 30Hz in Linux,...?

Works fine in linux with the right video card. That is what I use 98% of the time I use the seiki's. Anyone running linux I would suggest an nvidia card and it needs to be kepler or above (most geforce 600 series or above, some of the lower end 600 series are re-branded fermi from the 500 series).

houkouonchi: what issues on older gen nvidia cards (common for many laptops)?

Well the nvidia linux drivers have an annoyance where they wont allow > 165 Mhz pixel clock unless you actually have a monitor with the extended EDID information in it and your GPU is kepler or above. You can use the nvidia linux pixel clock patcher thing to run on older hardware that is atleast hdmi 1.3 but you may get loss of signal at times as I don't think a lot of the hardware was really spec'd for pushing 300 Mhz pixel clock on hdmi 1.3 spec nvidia cards even though it should as hdmi 1.3 was also 340 Mhz maximum pixelclock. I got loss of signal at times using a gtx 460 to drive the seiki after patching the driver with nvlinpatch.

If the laptop has displayport (kind of doubt this for any older gen nvidia laptop) then you can always drive it via the accel active DP 1.1 -> HDMI 1.4 adapter.

Looking for help on getting 1080P at 120hz to run properly. I updated my firmware to Houchouonhi's modified version but when I set the resolution to 1920x1080 at 120 hz it does not scale properly - I get a letterbox version. I am running at 120hz though. I am using a r9 290 graphics card. monitor runs great at 4k!

Back