Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Btw. do you have a access to this panelook.com? It would be interesting to know how much such a display can cost in wholesale...
Sadly I don't but from what I've heard about 400 dollar a pop in a small batch I figure you can go as low as 250 dollar in a big batch.
This might therefore replace 1440P in some time.

Power consumption of Seiki SE50UY04

Btw I have measured the power consumption over the weekend and my seiki takes some 130 watts...

for more info I am posting a part of the data sheet
xxka.png

from the pourpose of the "4K 120Hz" project some of us were looking for board with 2 DP.
I could find only EIZO DuraVision FDH3601 ($35,700)
cqv.png

gcjh.png

I could not find anywhere what kind of motherboard is in...

from the pourpose of the "4K 120Hz" project some of us were looking for board with 2 DP.
I could find only EIZO DuraVision FDH3601 ($35,700)
snap

I could not find anywhere what kind of motherboard is in...
Well it uses STmicro controllers and using 2 controllers is relatively poor as you could actually get 120Hz if the panel accepted 2 strong ones.

And you wouldn't have trouble using just a single one that you do have if you split the screen up in 2 parts.

Guys, based on the last 3 previous pages of this thread we may have to admit we still are not sure if our V500DKI-LS1 panel can really refresh in 120Hz by 4K resolution if we change the motherboard.
Would not be now more appropriate to ask Chimei Innolux directly per email?
Sure the limitation could be still on the level of driver board (396) and/or cables between driver board and mother board. But this should tell us Chimei Innolux as well because the driver board is a part of the V500DKI-LS1 panel.

Guys, based on the last 3 previous pages of this thread we may have to admit we still are not sure if our V500DKI-LS1 panel can really refresh in 120Hz by 4K resolution if we change the motherboard.
Would not be now more appropriate to ask Chimei Innolux directly per email?
Sure the limitation could be still on the level of driver board (396) and/or cables between driver board and mother board. But this should tell us Chimei Innolux as well because the driver board is a part of the V500DKI-LS1 panel.
I've send them a message on it to their tech department I have also contacted a company that makes strong timing controllers 450MHz with headroom we might be in for a real treat.
I'm talking possible 3840x2160 @60Hz over a single connection and single timing controller.

Though it seems that it would be 8 bit but that depends on what kind of chips they are willing to deliver.

FYI, if you are thinking of getting a video card for running 4K for general desktop use, I recommend Radeon over Nvidia.

I've been using a GTX 760 for the last few days and just as a summary comparison, for general use (gaming performance aside), the Radeon is less quirky than the Nvidia at 4K resolution.

Problems with NVIDIA that I don't see on the Radeon:

1. At power-on and first boot, the monitor displays "Not Support(ed)" all the way through boot up, until after I blindly login. This happens on first boot.

2. When running an application that requires admin rights, on Nvidia, the screen blanks out for a while (maybe 10s). It appears as though the resolution is changing which causes the monitor to blank-out. The screen will eventually show the dialog box to accept admin rights.

3. Occasionally, the mouse cursor doesn't work correctly after changing screen resolutions. The mouse cursor tracks onscreen but when I click, nothing happens. It's as though the click coordinates are not registering correctly. If I alt-tab to a different window or use the keyboard to move windows and/or start programs, then the mouse will eventually start working correctly again.

FYI, if you are thinking of getting a video card for running 4K for general desktop use, I recommend Radeon over Nvidia.

I've been using a GTX 760 for the last few days and just as a summary comparison, for general use (gaming performance aside), the Radeon is less quirky than the Nvidia at 4K resolution.

1. At power-on and first boot, the monitor displays "Not Support(ed)" all the way through boot up, until after I blindly login. This happens on first boot.

2. When running an application that requires admin rights, on Nvidia, the screen blanks out for a while (maybe 10s). It appears as though the resolution is changing which causes the monitor to blank-out. The screen will eventually show the dialog box to accept admin rights.

3. Occasionally, the mouse cursor doesn't work correctly after changing screen resolutions. The mouse cursor tracks onscreen but when I click, nothing happens. It's as though the click coordinates are not registering correctly. If I alt-tab to a different window or use the keyboard to move windows and/or start programs, then the mouse will eventually start working correctly again.
I'm familiar with 2 and 3 didn't have 1 but indeed Radeon card do way better on high resolutions and in weird multi display configs. (just look at Nvida's ignorance to not just give us 2 way surround but they go add it one by one based on EDID)
Which doesn't work at all.

I'm using a GTX 680 with the 39" and I have none of the problems mentioned above - BIOS and bootup screens all display fine and I never have any problems with resolution switching or cursor. Also, I can connect 4 displays (DVI, DVI, HDMI, Displayport) in various rotation settings without problems. I think the only real limitation on the Nvidia side is that surround is less flexible than eyefinity. Personally I'd still get a Nvidia card over an ATI.

I'm using a GTX 680 with the 39" and I have none of the problems mentioned above - BIOS and bootup screens all display fine and I never have any problems with resolution switching or cursor. Also, I can connect 4 displays (DVI, DVI, HDMI, Displayport) in various rotation settings without problems. I think the only real limitation on the Nvidia side is that surround is less flexible than eyefinity. Personally I'd still get a Nvidia card over an ATI.
My 570 served me well until some time ago when games started crashing and drivers went to crap.
Actually killed my reference gtx570 and had it replace with a classified.
I was planning on getting either a 780 or a Titan (Titan since the launch) but I'm more leaning towards AMD's card both for eyefinity and a good price/perf AMD card have been good to me where all my Nvidia cards except my gtx275 have died on me at least once.

I have the 39" as well. I assume you are running at 4k res on the card's HDMI connector. If not, please let me know what res you are running at.

Would you describe your power up sequence?
Do you turn on the monitor first? or do you turn them both on at the same time?

What happens when you run a program that needs admin rights and you get the popup window? Does the screen not go blank, but just goes grey? Or do you just set the user rights not to have the popup?

Your issues sound like either a bad cable or an issue with the port. If you are using HDMI3 I would avoid that port. I had some EDID issues even on port 1 on my 50 inch and ended up using HDMI 2 I believe.

I know not all cables are created equal. I had a lot of dropouts and issues which I thought were related to my gtx 460s (may not have been) that I later found out was due to a bad cable. I was using the cable that came with it. I actually swapped it out with the cable that came with my 50 inch seiki (the cable looks identical) and all the problems went away.

Your issues sound like either a bad cable or an issue with the port. If you are using HDMI3 I would avoid that port. I had some EDID issues even on port 1 on my 50 inch and ended up using HDMI 2 I believe.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try a different cable tonight, but the only thing I changed in my setup previously was the video card & software drivers. I'm using HDMI1 in both cases.

I'm running at 4K; the bootup sequence is at a lower resolution and it gets scaled up.
My motherboard is the Maximus Extreme IV; it boots up to a graphical logo and then goes to textmode to show the raid option roms, etc.

It only shows up on the HDMI if that's the only thing connected, usually
I have my other monitors plugged in and the bios shows up on the DVI port.
I guess that's one thing that's better on the ATI side, since I believe ATI just mirrors the
bootup on all connected screens.

I turned off UAC so I don't get that prompt.

@houkouonchi

Changing the cables makes no difference. Other than the mouse tracking issue which Maarten has also experience, the video card issues are pretty consistent on my computer so they don't feel like a cable problem.

I've had hardware problems with Nvidia cards over the years, so this would appear to be in-line with my past experiences. I'll likely return this card and go back to the old AMD card I was using.

Maybe your problems are because you are using a non-reference card - the reference coolers in the recent generation of cards are pretty good compared to the old days so I just go with the reference cards now. I've had my share of problems from both card manufacturers - rattling fan on HD5970, GT8800 that died, ATI cards with bad memory / dancing pixels, nvlddmkm BSODs, etc. but these days nvidia seems to be winning the performance war pretty handily and CF scaling is iffy so I lean towards nvidia for now.

@alamone

When I look at performance/$ I see that Radeon has the edge. A typical 7950 is lower cost than a GTX760 and has similar performance in gaming. The OpenCL and computational capabilities are much better with AMD. Overall, I'm more interested in application speed rather than gaming. So AMD provides significantly better value for my use.

As for problems, I used to think that Nvidia had better drivers and thats one of the reasons i bought the 760 but after this last experience, I don't believe that anymore.

As for problems, I used to think that Nvidia had better drivers and thats one of the reasons i bought the 760 but after this last experience, I don't believe that anymore.

I fell for that too when I got my GTX670...the days were Nvidia drivers were superior has definitely ended.

Any news on firmware updates for the 39"? Waiting on the fix for the 120Hz frame skipping problem at 1080P. I know the 50" doesn't have the issue, but I can't sit 3' from a 50" monitor (max distance I can get in the obutto rev pit.)

Has anyone been able to display and visually confirm 120hz @1080p on the 39 inch model?

I've looked through this thread and it doesn't look like its working on the 39 inch model properly... Apparently it's dropping frames?

Edit - Hah, NervousEnergy beat me to it by 1 minute. :)

I have 3 1600p monitors @ 7680 x 1600, do they plan to fix this so it's not locked at 30HZ I was considering getting a 50" but 30HZ makes no sense for games / movies.

I have 3 1600p monitors @ 7680 x 1600, do they plan to fix this so it's not locked at 30HZ I was considering getting a 50" but 30HZ makes no sense for games / movies.

There is nothing they can fix as the HDMI standard doesn't support higher refresh rate at that high resolution. Until HDMI 2.0 comes out, for a manufacturer to "fix" this, they would need to implement multiple HDMI/DVI connectors and allow for your GPU to treat the TV like an eyefinity setup.

I don't understand why Seiki don't have a model out that can do this to be honest. People would easily pay an extra $500 on top of the asking price...

Are you using one of these Seiki's or another 4k monitor?

I have a pair of Gbyte W3 Radeon 7970s and I have a pair of Titans and I've tried both with the Seiki 50"

I see better gaming performance with the Titans, but better non-gaming performance with the 7970s. to me, the 7970s are better with 4k2k Video in Media Player and VLC than the Titans are...but both are acceptable.

That said, I use the titans and am satisfied with the performance overall.

I have a pair of Gbyte W3 Radeon 7970s and I have a pair of Titans and I've tried both with the Seiki 50"

I see better gaming performance with the Titans, but better non-gaming performance with the 7970s. to me, the 7970s are better with 4k2k Video in Media Player and VLC than the Titans are...but both are acceptable.

That said, I use the titans and am satisfied with the performance overall.

Thank-you, that is useful information.

I will say that 2 Titans are $2000. 2 Radeon 7970s are $600. There's a big difference in price so I'd expect a $1400 difference worth of performance. ;)

I went from a single 6870 to a GTX 760 and now to a Radeon 7950. For gaming, between the GTX760 and Radeon7950, the performance is very comparable but with the Radeon edging out the GTX at higher resolution due to better RAM bandwidth.

For non-gaming use, the Radeon appears to have slightly better drivers and noticeably better OpenCL performance.

After trying both products, I feel the Radeon is significantly better overall value. I'm going to be sending my GTX back to newegg.

There is nothing they can fix as the HDMI standard doesn't support higher refresh rate at that high resolution. Until HDMI 2.0 comes out, for a manufacturer to "fix" this, they would need to implement multiple HDMI/DVI connectors and allow for your GPU to treat the TV like an eyefinity setup.

I don't understand why Seiki don't have a model out that can do this to be honest. People would easily pay an extra $500 on top of the asking price...
With respect you're wrong.
HDMI actually yield the same bandwidth as single link DVI it goes up to 340M.
The issue isn't cable bandwidth though it becomes a problem above that 340M unless you were to use a DP port.

The actually thing that holds these panels back is the Input board (the TMDS to LVDS transciever) (mine does 40 no sweat)
After that the Tcon is the next limit although the panel gets its fill at native @120Hz even when upscaled that is after the Tcon the Tcon can't process that much. (probability)

Asus' solution or better to say sharp's solution is just a work around and doesn't fix the problem at hand.
I however am working on testing how much the Tcon can take using after market input boards.

Not to mention, under 30hz appears to be using frame repeating to bring the signal up to 30hz, so 24hz doesn't even work properly (motion judder).

Any news on firmware updates for the 39"? Waiting on the fix for the 120Hz frame skipping problem at 1080P. I know the 50" doesn't have the issue, but I can't sit 3' from a 50" monitor (max distance I can get in the obutto rev pit.)

It had been 2 weeks since I heard anything so I emailed my contact at seiki about it. He responded with:

I have not forgotten. I have been testing a update that was sent to me from the engineers. On the plus side it did allow for 120Hz but it created an saw-like line at the edge of some letters and flat lines. It is still a work in progress. At this moment there is still no ETA on the firmware update. I will keep you posted and up to date on any information I get.

Quick points:
UAC . go to win 7 user accounts change account settings, lower the setting for alerting user of administrator access to stop windows from blanking/dimming the screen.

120hz ... 39" definitely skips frames, only 60Hz @ 1920 x 1080.

Power plug is USA style, but plugs right into Aussie 240volt power with a cheap Travel Adapter.

Using 125% GDI boost rather than the 150% that some are recommending.

Mondo problems running multi monitor on my 2 GTX570 video cards, Seiki 39" 3840x2160 and a 30" Crossover Korean 2560 x 1600 monitor in portrait mode, perhaps I will have to give up dual monitor after a decade of loving it!

I am having a problem with random monitor blanking ... was affecting both monitors at one stage, but now I have plugged the second one in the second card, I am only getting these random blanking glitches on the Seiki. Any clues?

Quick points:
UAC . go to win 7 user accounts change account settings, lower the setting for alerting user of administrator access to stop windows from blanking/dimming the screen.

120hz ... 39" definitely skips frames, only 60Hz @ 1920 x 1080.

Power plug is USA style, but plugs right into Aussie 240volt power with a cheap Travel Adapter.

Using 125% GDI boost rather than the 150% that some are recommending.

Mondo problems running multi monitor on my 2 GTX570 video cards, Seiki 39" 3840x2160 and a 30" Crossover Korean 2560 x 1600 monitor in portrait mode, perhaps I will have to give up dual monitor after a decade of loving it!

I am having a problem with random monitor blanking ... was affecting both monitors at one stage, but now I have plugged the second one in the second card, I am only getting these random blanking glitches on the Seiki. Any clues?
So you can get relative cheap shipping from China yet you buy the Seiki mind is blown.

Last edited:
I am only getting these random blanking glitches on the Seiki. Any clues?

Make sure your not using HDMI3 (the HDMI port on the left) and if your using the cable that came with it I would try another one. The cable that came with my 39 inch seiki had issues where there was loss of signial periodically. I changed to the cable that came with my 50 inch (they look identical) and all the problems went away. Not a single dropout since then.

Make sure your not using HDMI3 (the HDMI port on the left)

I am using that one. I'll try swapping ports.

and if your using the cable that came with it I would try another one. The cable that came with my 39 inch seiki had issues where there was loss of signial periodically. I changed to the cable that came with my 50 inch (they look identical) and all the problems went away. Not a single dropout since then.

I could swap this cable for one of the cheapies I use with my lounge-room TV ... I'll see if the port-swap works first.

Setup the Seiki 39" with HDMI2. Same deal with screen dropouts/blanks. Will try a different HDMI cable tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, somehow I doubt it will. I've seen many references in Seiki reviews to this 'turn off for a few seconds' phenomenon, and I think it's the drivers, not the TV. I'm using WHQL 320.49. I tried 326.80 but the problem of monitor switching off was very apparent using those.

Back