Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

According to the the max LVDS clock of 79MHz listed in the sheet wouldn't that give us. 4 Channels with 5 pairs each giving 395 per channel which clearly is way more than is needed to drive 120Hz.
I am pretty curious how the SEIKI pulls off 1080p scaling during 4K. If it's done upstream at the motherboard level, then life for 4K 120Hz could potentially become a lot simpler because the motherboard is apparently already outputting the full pixel data rate necessary for 4K 120Hz.

Last edited:
I am pretty curious how the SEIKI pulls off 1080p scaling during 4K. If it's done upstream at the motherboard level, then life for 4K 120Hz could potentially become a lot simpler because the motherboard is apparently already outputting the full pixel data rate necessary for 4K 120Hz.
You will have to fill the pixels on the screen so it will be pixel doubling.
it is like running 5 way eyefinity and then going to a lower resolution.

So, Does the 39" version Seiki work at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz and 1920x1080 @ 120Hz? I'd like to replace my 5 monitors with this single display.

My mistake everyone, you indeed don't need to store 1 billion pixels, only 16.6 million (two frames), or 497664000 bits... thanks for pointing that out! :)

Still... I think my last paragraph has the more ideal solution.

My mistake everyone, you indeed don't need to store 1 billion pixels, only 16.6 million (two frames), or 497664000 bits... thanks for pointing that out! :)
Still... I think my last paragraph has the more ideal solution.
As long as at the panel level, it's all merged into a sequential scan. Among some display engineers, there are known motion artifacts that shows up when coarse multi-scanning directly at the panel level (multi-scan artifacts would look like stationary tear lines between independently-scanned sections of the panel, multiscanning would make www.testufo.com/#test=blurtrail&thickness=8 problematic with tearing that shows up between the independently scanned sections, because on a time-basis, the last pixel rows of a multiscanned section of display is severely time-offset from the first pixel-row of an adjacent multiscanned section, creating an effect that looks exactly like tearing, but the tearlines are stationary!)

That is why I think it is important to figure out how the SEIKI is scanning at 1920x1080 120Hz, it's almost certainly still a sequential scan because nobody has reported built-in (hardcoded) tearing artifacts in the display but better doublecheck using TestUFO as well as preferably also a high speed camera ($200).

Last edited:
If somebody has a LVDS board maybe hook up a single pair of the first chancel and the clock and then see what happens.
Since the spec sheet isn't that clear about it.

So, Does the 39" version Seiki work at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz and 1920x1080 @ 120Hz? I'd like to replace my 5 monitors with this single display.

The scaler in the seiki 50 inch and 39 inch don't do resolutions > 1920x1080 correctly so you can't run 2560x1440. The 50 inch will do 120Hz @ 1920x1080 or 1280x720 but unfortunately the 39 inch will only do 60Hz @ 1920x1080 or 1280x720. It will accept a 1920x1080@120hz signal or 1280x720@240Hz but it is doing frame droppping.

The 50 inch does this fine. Seiki tells me the 39 inch should have this fixed with a firmware update.

I've been following these threads for weeks, trying to decide on picking up the Seiki or waiting a bit more. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 39" till I heard about the firmware fault regarding 120Hz operation. For anyone with the 50" and some time with fast-twitch games, though, how well does the panel perform at 1080P-120hz? Is the response decent, or does it smear badly?

I know there are a number 1080P TVs that make nicer monitors than this one, but the lure of running the desktop at 4K while switching to 1080 for games is hard to turn down. My perfect monitor would be something in the 36-42" range that did 4K at 60Hz, or 1080P at 120Hz with a lightboost capable strobing backlight and requisite fast pixel response rate. I know that's a pipe dream right now, but the Seiki is the first thing I've seen that's starting to get close.

If somebody has a LVDS board maybe hook up a single pair of the first chancel and the clock and then see what happens.
Since the spec sheet isn't that clear about it.

Signet has a LCD Controlller board below that is 4-ch LVDS.
http://www.signetfpd.com/adboards061913.htm
Model: SDGP-SAPP
Resolution: 3840x2160
Input: DL DVIx2
Output: 4-Ch LVDS
Dimension: 190x160x23
Application: UHD 4K Monitor

They also sell a 39" 4K LCD panel that seems similar to what is in the Seiki 39":
http://www.signetfpd.com/lcd061913.htm
http://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/CMI-39-V390DK1-LS1-3840-2160-350-NITS.pdf
Panel Size:39"
Model: V390DK1
Brightness: 350
Contrast: 5000
View Angle: 88/88/88/88
Interface: 4-Ch LVDS
Temp: 0~50

It would be great if it can be swapped out with the current LCD conrtroller board on the SE39UY04.

Last edited:
Signet has a LCD Controlller board below that is 4-ch LVDS.
http://www.signetfpd.com/adboards061913.htm
Model: SDGP-SAPP
Input: DL DVIx2
Output: 4-Ch LVDS
Dimension: 190x160x23
Application: UHD 4K Monitor

They also sell a 39" 4K LCD panel that seems similar to what is in the Seiki 39":
http://www.signetfpd.com/lcd061913.htm
http://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/CMI-39-V390DK1-LS1-3840-2160-350-NITS.pdf
Panel Size:39"
Model: V390DK1
Brightness: 350
Contrast: 5000
View Angle: 88/88/88/88
Interface: 4-Ch LVDS
Temp: 0~50

It would be great if it can be swapped out with the current LCD conrtroller board on the SE39UY04.
Thanks this should be the one we need:
SDGP-SAPP 3840x2160 DL DVIx2 4-Ch LVDS 190x160x23 UHD 4K Monitor
If it truly runs those 2 DVI ports at once and can OC them to overlord levels this might work.

I was looking trough the spec sheet when I noticed that the pannel works with 2 cables(which we already knew) but after those cables come into the panel it goes into 2 separate lines before output.
One is named R and the other L (right and left if the most probable thing that comes to mind)

I was figuring this screen actually works just like the other models getting one side from each of those.
Therefore we may be able to hook up a 120+Hz 1440P capable board to each of those inputs and get ourselves that full refresh rate.
We shall look what that controller of Signet can do first but if it indeed turns out to work in a 2 way split then I'll be getting myself some 120+Hz 1440P capable boards.

For reference http://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/CMI-39-V390DK1-LS1-3840-2160-350-NITS.pdf
Paragraph 4.1 is where you can see the Panel internal schematic.

I shall contact Signet to check on SDGP-SAPP 3840x2160 DL DVIx2 4-Ch LVDS board it seems to be the easy way as they even list it as such.

Thanks so much for sharing

I've been following these threads for weeks, trying to decide on picking up the Seiki or waiting a bit more. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 39" till I heard about the firmware fault regarding 120Hz operation. For anyone with the 50" and some time with fast-twitch games, though, how well does the panel perform at 1080P-120hz? Is the response decent, or does it smear badly?

I know there are a number 1080P TVs that make nicer monitors than this one, but the lure of running the desktop at 4K while switching to 1080 for games is hard to turn down. My perfect monitor would be something in the 36-42" range that did 4K at 60Hz, or 1080P at 120Hz with a lightboost capable strobing backlight and requisite fast pixel response rate. I know that's a pipe dream right now, but the Seiki is the first thing I've seen that's starting to get close.

I am a big quakelive buff. There is definitely a very small noticeable amount of input lag even at 120 Hz @ 1080p. I don't think most people would notice it or care but honestly its still less lag than pretty much any other TV I have ran a FPS on. That being said putting it down to 720p (@ 240Hz) the feeling of input lag completely goes away for me. Actually after getting used to the seiki the yamakasi I used before at 100Hz @ 1440p actually feels kinda laggy.

For me its worth going down to 720p for the responsiveness. I do prefer higher resolution but honestly responsiveness is more important for me. I think quake players are some of the most sensitive to these type of things than any other FPS.

My $.02 as a quakelive player (who played since quake 3 in 1999) and played quake2, quake, doom 2, doom, wolf3d as well.

As far as the response time It seems like its a faster response than what I saw on my yamakasi as well (less blurring with motion). That issue is completely separate from the input lag issue though.

I've emailed Signet so now we can play the waiting game for a little while.
It the panel internally indeed works in a RIGHT and LEFT config that would be extremely nice for us.
Since now we know that channel 1 and 2 are for L and 3 and 4 for R (or the other way around but nobody is concerned about that :p )

Has anyone tested if 3D works on these 4k Seiki using url below? Could someone test if you get a chance?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-for-gaming-works-33-solution-and-questions-/

also 2D mode in games to see if you can increase refresh rate by lowering resolution but maintain 1:1 pixel mapping i.e. no scaling e.g. 3840 x 1080 or 2560 x 1080, or 2560 x 1200, etc.

houkouonchi, you mentioned the 39" 4k drops frames at 1080p@120hz, what about 1080p@100hz or what's the highest hz without frames drops?
Likewise, at 2560x1200 what's the highest refresh hz without without frames drops?

I read that the Skyworth 4k 39" is 3D capable but I don't know how to order one.

Thanks so much.

houkouonchi, you mentioned the 39" 4k drops frames at 1080p@120hz, what about 1080p@100hz or what's the highest hz without frames drops?
Likewise, at 2560x1200 what's the highest refresh hz without without frames drops?

I read that the Skyworth 4k 39" is 3D capable but I don't know how to order one.

Thanks so much.
It skipped half the frames(according to the photographs) so I would say 60 or close to 60 but that shall be fixed with a firmware update later on.

Yes the Skyworth is 3D capable but I truly hate it 3D is not for me.
It is only for the Chinese domestic market but you can get one trough an agent in China if you want to. (if you live in America I advise just to get the Seiki and wait for a 60/120Hz solution)

We're coming quite close to the solution I feel it :D

Thanks maarten12100 and all others for your hard work.

3840 x 2160 @30hz
3840 x 1080 @60hz? or (45-60hz ?)
2560 x 1200 @70hz? (no scaling or 1:1 pixel mapping.)

3840 x 1080 is half the resolution of 3840 x 2160. So I'm hoping that we can increase the refresh rate maybe 45-60. This would be awesome and increase the frame rate and ultra-widescreen like real life ;-)

What is the chance of this 60hz 2160p solution and the chance we can upgrade components/cards when hdmi 2.0 is available later?

It's great to be able to to have the option to play games in 3D mode or 2D at 2160p or 1440p. I switch between 3D and 2D depending on the moods or type of games and have best of both worlds. This way, memories of 3D and 2D 1440p gaming events is as good (immersion factor) as memories of real life events that I experienced months ago ;-) Even though, you know which is real life and which is from the games, in term of memories, immersion factor is the same. I hoping to hear that these Seiki 4k can also do 3D in 2160p or 1440p (3840 x 1080 or 2560 x 1080, or 2560 x 1200)

Much Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks maarten12100 and all for your hard work. What is the chance of this 60hz 2160p solution and the chance we can upgrade components/cards when hdmi 2.0 is available later?

It's great to be able to to have the option to play games in 3D mode or 2D at 2160p or 1440p. I switch between 3D and 2D depending on the moods or type of games and have best of both worlds. This way, memories of 3D and 2D 1440p gaming events is as good (immersion factor) as memories of real life events that I experienced months ago ;-) Even though, you know which is real life and which is from the games, in term of memories, immersion factor is the same. I hoping to hear that these Seiki 4k can also do 3D in 2160p or 1440p (3840 x 1080 or 2560 x 1080, or 2560 x 1200)

3840 x 1080 is half the resolution of 3840 x 2160p. So I'm hoping that we can increase the refresh rate maybe 45-60. This would be awesome and increase the frame rate and ultra-widescreen like real life ;-)

Thanks,
Well the Asus 39 inch screens board will be pin to pin comptaible as they use the same panel and if you look into it you can pretty much get newer non eDP contorllers hooked up to the panel (once HDMI 2.0 + new timing controllers come along)

For the 3D to work at 1080P you need to have the right EDID but you can set it fairly easy with toastyx's CRU if I'm not mistaken.

I am a big quakelive buff. There is definitely a very small noticeable amount of input lag even at 120 Hz @ 1080p. I don't think most people would notice it or care but honestly its still less lag than pretty much any other TV I have ran a FPS on. …

For me its worth going down to 720p for the responsiveness. I do prefer higher resolution but honestly responsiveness is more important for me. I think quake players are some of the most sensitive to these type of things than any other FPS.

If you can tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz, why not just turn off the VSYNC? It'll become far, far more responsive!

Last edited:
If you can tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz, why not just turn off the VSYNC? It'll become far, far more responsive!

Uh.. And when have I ever said I was using vsync in the first place?. Honestly anyone who is actually a competitive 10+ year veteran FPS player who plays games like quake live using vsync is pretty laffable actually.

Uh.. And when have I ever said I was using vsync in the first place?. Honestly anyone who is actually a competitive 10+ year veteran FPS player who plays games like quake live using vsync is pretty laffable actually.

Thanks for your response. I do find it curious.

This AOC "survey" suggested participants (which I'd guess are likely gamers) can pick out 120Hz from 60Hz around 86-88% of the time, but there were no difference in FRAG results. (Note that random choice would have resulted in a baseline of 50% correct)
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4592/3/vast-majority-of-gamers-prefers-120-hz-monitors-results-86-prefer-120-hz!

(Note: I see MarkRejhon as one of the commenters on the article.)

Or another way to read the data is that about 1/2 of the participants could identify the 120Hz and 60Hz settings correctly, but the other 1/2 of the participants did no better than random choice. It suggests to me that it's certainly discernable to some participants.

One of the arguments was that with VYSNC off, people see twice as much "tearing" at 60Hz than they would at 120Hz so the difference in image quality is not necessarily "smoothness", but might be tearing which may be more noticeable.

At 60Hz, the average delay in the screen image is 16ms. I'd guess the latency stackup from mouse->CPU->GPU->screen must be several times that. I'm still doubtful that anyone can tell the difference based on latency. However I do believe the image differences between 120Hz vs 60Hz is still be noticeable due other issues such as tearing, or other image "hints", even if latency is not perceivable. That may explain why there was no difference in FRAG results.

This would be a great thesis project - "120Hz impact for computer visualization and gaming"
I'd love to have a classroom of 120Hz systems to do some testing on this topic!

I don't think Signet is going to come back to me before the weekend ends so have a nice weekend guys ;)

Or another way to read the data is that about 1/2 of the participants could identify the 120Hz and 60Hz settings correctly, but the other 1/2 of the participants did no better than random choice. It suggests to me that it's certainly discernable to some participants.
Actually, the math is incorrect; for 88%, that's closer to 76% definitely telling them apart and 24% (12%+12%) doing a random choice because they couldn't tell them apart.
But even that is incorrect too, because there are many other human factors.
Plus, they may have done several passes per gamer, for more certainity per gamer.

Human Factor 1
Visions do vary from human to human.
- About 5-10% of population can't see 3D through stereoscopic glasses
- About 10% of population is colorblind
It's possible a percentage of population is less sensitive to seeing motion fluidity differences. So it's possible 80% was from people who actually could tell, 10% from people who did a random choice, and 10% who is genuinely unable to tell fluidity.

HumanFactor 2
Some people gets headaches seeing too fluid motion (e.g. 60fps or 120fps) and prefer lower framerates to get rid of the nausea/dizziness from motion that is unusually fluid. This is a case where someone may genuinely prefer a lower framerate, e.g. some people hates HFR (48fps) movies, and prefer to watch 24fps movies with the motion blur because it's less stressful on their eyes (not the case for everybody though).

HumanFactor 3
Human recognition of motion fluidity versus colors. A lot of monitors have slightly better color quality during 60Hz than during 120Hz. A distortion of percentage may have occured because someone preferred the color over motion.

Human Factor 4
Humans that otherwise can tell, but aren't paying much attention because it is not a "night and day" difference for them. For example, it is known that many humans are easily trained to tell apart smooth or juddery playback (e.g. 3:2 pulldown judder versus 24p playback). Most people don't notice until they are pointed out the difference between 3:2 pulldown for playing back 24fps movies on 60Hz displays, and native 24p playback (where the display automatically switches to 24Hz/48Hz/72Hz/96Hz/120Hz when playing back 24p Blu-Ray content). Likewise, it is simple to train a human to show what 120fps motion looks like, versus 60fps motion looks like (e.g. by first showing them various screens from www.testufo.com running on a fast GPU in a web browser)

etc.

Also, regarding lack of frag differences: I think this statistical sampling is too small (50) and too brief to reveal the competitive advantage of 120Hz, which is sometimes something learned over time. New gameplay tactics sometimes develop over time only after having recently obtained 120Hz, since you are less hampered by motion blur and reduced display lag. There is probably a minor (few percent) competitive advantage, but it's lost within the noise floor of widely varying skills, the brevity of the tests, potential distractions of the players themselves trying to analyze motion on monitors they've never tried before, etc.

Last edited:
Signet just mailed me back and sadly the news wasn't very good.
According to Signet there is another bottleneck one that we cannot fix.

At first we have the HDMI limitation we can get around that by using DVI dual link or DP (later on HDMI 2.0)
Second we have the Tcon's max pixel clock this is something we could get around by using multiple Timing controllers.
Third(new) we have the limitation that our panel has 4 channels with 5 pairs each resulting in a 448MHz max pixel clock or 53 refreshes a second in normal words.

I thought 20 pairs should give us a enormous amount of bandwidth but I was clearly was wrong since I was working per pairs instead of per channels.
What I don't get is if only channels matter then why not use 1 pair a channel or is that not how things work :D

Can somebody explain to me why only channels matter instead of total number of pairs with possible clocks?

There is still some light on my horizon as according to wikipedia(I suck at finding sources don't take me up on this info):
FPD-Link II was introduced in 2006 and is an improved version of FPD-Link. National Semiconductor designed it specifically for automotive infotainment and camera interface applications. FPD-Link II embeds the clock in the data signal and therefore uses only one differential pair to transmit both the clock and video data. This further reduces the size, weight, and cost of cables for infotainment and safety camera applications. For example, the 24-bit color application now uses only one twisted pair instead of the 5 twisted pair used by FPD-Link.

There are additional benefits from FPD-Link II. For example, the car makers appreciate the increased cable length even with reduced cable cost. This is because of the embedded clock feature that eliminates the timing skew between clock and data signals. This was the limiting factor to cables with separate clock and data pairs because all pairs had to be manufactured at precisely equal length to control the timing skew between the clock and data pairs. This length matching added to the cable cost.

Another benefit for FPD-Link II comes from adding DC balance to the signals. Because the signal is DC balanced the application can use AC coupling, which eliminates the ground current problem between data source and destination. This is critical in the automotive applications because of the potential for large transient currents that can damage sensitive electronic equipment.

The higher resolution applications required FPD-Link II to increase the data throughput. It started at about 1 Gbit/s data throughput on a single twisted pair which is well within the capability for LVDS technology. But for the applications that required up to 1.8 Gbit/s over a single pair, LVDS was not as reliable as necessary for the automotive applications. By changing from LVDS to current mode logic (CML), the newest FPD-Link II chipsets were able to reliably send high bit-rate video streams over cables longer than 10m.
1 Gbit/s+ a pair would still get us 20 Gbps+ meaning a 100Hz refresh rate

Now the monitor doesn't support CML since that no longer is a twisted pair LVDS standard however if we can just get that 1Gbps a bit higher with 1.8 being too high according to that wiki we can still get our 120Hz (100Hz is also nice but not as good multiplied of 24 and 30)
It doesn't take a math genius to figure that every pair needs to transfer at least at 1.2Gbps to give us the 24Gbps needed for 120Hz

Disclaimer:I haven't added the extra blanked pixels in the stream to the calculations so 1.25Gbps per link minimum shall do.

Last edited:
I installed a GTX 760 last night. The lag at 4k resolution with VSYNC on was no different than with my Radeon 6870.

General desktop use is about the same, slightly laggy. Perhaps this is due to the overhead in windows ?

I installed a GTX 760 last night. The lag at 4k resolution with VSYNC on was no different than with my Radeon 6870.

General desktop use is about the same, slightly laggy. Perhaps this is due to the overhead in windows ?

I would assume it's entirely due to the 30hz refresh rate at 4k resolution. I've also noticed a slight flicker effect, but only with certain shades of light blue. The 'lag' doesn't bother me now that I've been using the screen for a while.

Even if 120hz isn't physically possible 60hz would still be a worthwhile upgrade if it can be done.

I would assume it's entirely due to the 30hz refresh rate at 4k resolution. I've also noticed a slight flicker effect, but only with certain shades of light blue. The 'lag' doesn't bother me now that I've been using the screen for a while

I would expect the lag to be the same regardless of resolution. After all, regardless of whether it's 30Hz at 4k or 30Hz at 1080, it's still 30Hz. The 4k resolution will have much higher bandwidth to achieve 30Hz, but the "delay" should be the same. However, that's not the way it feels. So at this point in time, my guess is that the additional delay must be coming from Windows, not the video card + monitor. It could make sense since the computer has more information to process, except that I wouldn't have expected 4k to be that much more overhead to be noticeable.

I do agree with you that it's slight and I'm also quite comfortable with it now except when gaming with VSYNC on.

Third(new) we have the limitation that our panel has 4 channels with 5 pairs each resulting in a 448MHz max pixel clock or 53 refreshes a second in normal words.
So the 1080p scaling is done at the panel level rather than at the motherboard level? There must be a motherboard level chip, and then a panel level electronics (sometimes a small chip embedded on a thin board in the edge of the panel, etc). Can anything be done further upstream (i.e. closer to the panel), to bypass this bottleneck? This would certainly raise the difficulty of achieving 120Hz, but since clearly all the pixels are refreshable at 120Hz on the panel glass, I'm curious which stage of the display internal pipeline this is occuring... (aka "how is 1080p@120Hz is actually possible on the 4K panel?" and "where is the scaling done?") Basically we'd want to find the stage of the 4K pipleine where the scaler is, and then figure out how to do 4K 120Hz at that point. It might be happening later in the pipleine than we expected, for example.

Last edited:
I would assume it's entirely due to the 30hz refresh rate at 4k resolution. I've also noticed a slight flicker effect, but only with certain shades of light blue. The 'lag' doesn't bother me now that I've been using the screen for a while.

Even if 120hz isn't physically possible 60hz would still be a worthwhile upgrade if it can be done.
That stands as a house, I will PM Moddermike to see if he can explain if the 20 LVDS pairs can get 120Hz trough in any way.

So the 1080p scaling is done at the panel level rather than at the motherboard level? There must be a motherboard level chip, and then a panel level electronics (sometimes a small chip embedded on a thin board in the edge of the panel, etc). Can anything be done further upstream (i.e. closer to the panel), to bypass this bottleneck? This would certainly raise the difficulty of achieving 120Hz, but since clearly all the pixels are refreshable at 120Hz on the panel glass, I'm curious which stage of the display internal pipeline this is occuring... (aka "how is 1080p@120Hz is actually possible on the 4K panel?" and "where is the scaling done?") Basically we'd want to find the stage of the 4K pipleine where the scaler is, and then figure out how to do 4K 120Hz at that point. It might be happening later in the pipleine than we expected, for example.
Yes that is weird my first question was how does motion interpolation occur @ 120Hz since that would mean 30 real fps getting duplicated/mixed to make 120fps then those will be displayed @120Hz still meaning 120 frames every second going in the panel and being shown on the panel even though they are not real this means it should be possible unless the panel itself holds the motion interpolation electronics.

Can this monitor do 2560x1440? If so, what's the max HZ?

I'm hoping it can at least do 2560x1440 at 60hz seeing how my ZR30W can do 2560x1600 over HDMI to DVI (Which is probably single link DVI overclocked?).

EDIT:
Doesn't look like it supports that resolution :(

Can this monitor do 2560x1440? If so, what's the max HZ?

I'm hoping it can at least do 2560x1440 at 60hz seeing how my ZR30W can do 2560x1600 over HDMI to DVI (Which is probably single link DVI overclocked?).

EDIT:
Doesn't look like it supports that resolution :(
It is due to the crappy scaler used in the Seiki mine can do 1440P up to 80 or so Hz.

Last edited:
Yes that is weird my first question was how does motion interpolation occur @ 120Hz since that would mean 30 real fps getting duplicated/mixed to make 120fps then those will be displayed @120Hz still meaning 120 frames every second going in the panel and being shown on the panel even though they are not real this means it should be possible unless the panel itself holds the motion interpolation electronics.
Does SEIKI support motion interpolation of 4K to 120Hz? I thought it did not.

Or is it just 120Hz interpolation only on 1080p60 signals? If so, then it's just the same thing within the motherboard level as 1080p@120Hz native from a computer. The motherboard would still be passing 120Hz to the panel only at 1080p, and letting the panel's own scaler scale upwards to 4K. Somehow it is still scaling it to 4K and somehow refreshing all pixels at 120Hz. That's the question I'd like answered. Can we hook into that scaler step somewhere downstream and bypass it, inputting true 4K at 120Hz?

Does SEIKI support motion interpolation of 4K to 120Hz? I thought it did not.

Or is it just 120Hz interpolation only on 1080p60 signals? If so, then it's just the same thing within the motherboard level as 1080p@120Hz native from a computer. The motherboard would still be passing 120Hz to the panel only at 1080p, and letting the panel's own scaler scale upwards to 4K. Somehow it is still scaling it to 4K and somehow refreshing all pixels at 120Hz. That's the question I'd like answered. Can we hook into that scaler step somewhere downstream and bypass it, inputting true 4K at 120Hz?
I don't know if the Seiki has motion interpolation the skyworth has and also at 4K (judging by the input lag)
And since both the Skyworth and the Seiki 39 inch have the same panel that would mean both should be capable.

The only way to really tell is take colour transition slides and record with a high speed camera.
I don't see them hiding away something like this:
T1XM9mXEVfXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_310x310.jpg

Here are some pictures of the driver boards used in the 1440P monitors made for controlling the LM270WQ LG panels.

m2tsA.jpg

As you can clearly see the overclockable part has the twisted pairs clearly showing so I don't get why it would still need to go into into that second board since there should be no conversions necessary for the panel (unless it used non LVDS I haven't read the datasheet of the panel)

Then with the second non oc able board we have the same chip but there is a second chip that takes the LVDS signals and turns them into eDP signals.
After that it goes in a board that makes the appropriate adjustments for the panel.

I figured the OC able board would be able to get us halfway there and is actually ready for use after you resolder the cables juding by number of channels, number of pairs and the number of colour bits.
The controller used on this board is made by Explore Microelectronics and can take 450MHz sadly I haven't yet been able to find the datasheet with it but I may email around to get my hands on that later on.
The next thing that is needed is to somehow get 2 of these chips and have them each power 2 of the channels.

Coming back to what I mentioned before if that bottleneck is indeed on the LVDS per channel and we only have 448MHz of pixel clock available that would kill the 120Hz plan completely.
I wonder if you can connect half the twisted pairs/channels and still get the full rate of a single chip trough that way we can just use board 1 power each side of the monitor.

Not on the Seiki but Chinese domestic monitors like the Skyworth have a different scaler even though the panel is the same.

are you sure the panel is the same? I am starting to have my doubts:
- true the 8th minute of the following video shows that the Skyworth 50E780U 4K HDTV has Chimei Innolux panel
- but if you take a look what is really inside, then the panel looks different from behind:
- compare to the panel from seiki SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)
as shown here or on the last page here

SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)

Skyworth 50E780U ( ??? )

Last edited:
are you sure the panel is the same? I am starting to have my doubts:
- true the 8th minute of the following video shows that the Skyworth 50E780U 4K HDTV has Chimei Innolux panel
- but if you take a look what is really inside, then the panel looks different from behind:
- compare to the panel from seiki SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)
as shown here or on the last page here

SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)

Skyworth 50E780U ( ??? )
I figured that they were the same but now you point me to it they have different screw hole locations.
Here you can see the revs
As you can see there are 2 revs and one version without backlight in other words only the LCD sheet and electronics. (maybe something for someone looking for making a lightboost panel :p )

Seems like one has true 10 bit the other has fake 10 bit.
Also it seems that the panels indeed do have a integrated MEMC system.

Not a problem for the 39 inch model though as they only have 1 version of those.

Btw. this is the mother board from Skyworth 50E780U 4K HDTV
I am posting it here just to compare it with seiki motherboard

Skyworth 50E780U
7n7f.png

ak24.png

23js.png

dm3q.png

Last edited:
I figured that they were the same but now you point me to it they have different screw hole locations.
Here you can see the revs
As you can see there are 2 revs and one version without backlight in other words only the LCD sheet and electronics. (maybe something for someone looking for making a lightboost panel :p )

Seems like one has true 10 bit the other has fake 10 bit.
Also it seems that the panels indeed do have a integrated MEMC system.

Not a problem for the 39 inch model though as they only have 1 version of those.

Btw. do you have a access to this panelook.com? It would be interesting to know how much such a display can cost in wholesale...

Back