Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850rpm fans - $14.81ea + $6 flat rate shipping

I'm not crapping the thread, but $16 shipping is a shitty fucking deal, sorry. It's not a hot deal if you have to buy $80 worth of fans. By your logic I could say, "we get that you love these fans, stop crapping the thread".

I'd love to have some of these fans but that caveat makes it ridiculous. If anyone has a better deal somewhere for ~$15-17 apiece with no shipping regulations then I'm all ears.

Besides, this is the hot deals forum, not a fan discussion forum. Pretty much everything else in the thread has not been related to this deal for the past several pages.

$80 shipped for 5 fans is a fairly good deal for hard-to-find Gentle Typhoons, comes out to $16 for each fan. It's already been established that if you're buying any less, it's not worth it for you. Buy more than 5 fans, then the price per fan goes down.

It's not a hot deal if you have to buy $80 worth of fans.

in all fairness most people who need these are stocking their case with them, or lining a rad. and the deal is still live, so the thread shouldnt go to discussion subforum. the only place you'll find legitimately low shipping prices for fans are svc or sidewinder, and neither place stocks GTs...wat can ya do!

This is a great deal as you normally find these fans for $20-25+ shipping. So $16 and change after shipping is hot.

My order (placed on March 3 with the slower shipping option) just shipped today! I noticed that Aquatuning now also has some AP-14's in stock.

Last edited:
Ordered this weekend and got a order payment confirmation first thing this morning. A good sign IMHO. I used slowboat shipping so I don't expect to see these things in under 10 days.

Shit, they have the AP-14's in stock. I've been really considering replacing my AP-15's and 13's with some AP-14's. AP-15's are too loud for my tastes, and the AP-13's negate the need for my fan controller.

Shit, they have the AP-14's in stock. I've been really considering replacing my AP-15's and 13's with some AP-14's. AP-15's are too loud for my tastes, and the AP-13's negate the need for my fan controller.

Why not use the AP-15's with the fan controller and bring them down to AP-13/14 speeds?

Why not use the AP-15's with the fan controller and bring them down to AP-13/14 speeds?

I have a fan controller and it only goes down to 7v...at that voltage, the AP-15's are still too loud. I also have AP-13's, and they don't offer the overall cooling overhead that I might want during benching. The AP-14's however are sufficiently slow at 7v, but also have a bit more headroom then the AP-13's for benching.

I have a fan controller and it only goes down to 7v...at that voltage, the AP-15's are still too loud. I also have AP-13's, and they don't offer the overall cooling overhead that I might want during benching. The AP-14's however are sufficiently slow at 7v, but also have a bit more headroom then the AP-13's for benching.

Ah. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice by going with the AP-15's. I thought they would be quiet enough at 7V (also the low on my fan controller), and the AP-14's were OOS when I made my purchase. I might have to get a new fan controller if the fans prove too loud. :(

Ah. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice by going with the AP-15's. I thought they would be quiet enough at 7V (also the low on my fan controller), and the AP-14's were OOS when I made my purchase. I might have to get a new fan controller if the fans prove too loud. :(

You would have to be in nearly a silent room for undervolted AP-15's to be a bother.

Get a better fan controller. There are a few decent ones at a low enough price point that go all the way down to 0 volts, and any range in between.

Nah, you'd have to have doglike hearing. Silent room or no.
AP-15's are totally silent at 7v. They're under 1200rpm, which is more or less equivalent to the AP-13.

These fans all have the same blades, and the same bearings. The only difference is number of turns per spoke of the motor. That means, at equivalent speeds, all the GT fans will have an identical sound profile.

In short, I call shens on this bad connection guy.

Get a better fan controller. There are a few decent ones at a low enough price point that go all the way down to 0 volts, and any range in between.

My fan controller has two integrated 2.5" hard drive mounts. Considering I sacrificed half my drive bays to fit my lower WC radiator, these drive mounts are necessary for my build. The Controller was also rather expensive...its actually cheaper for me to replace the fans then it is to replace the fan controller :). I looked all over, this was the only single knob fan controller capable of handling 20w+ of power whilst providing room for my SSD's. The marketing said it could reduce fan speeds down to 20%...it was only when I installed it did I figure out that they use 5v to represent 0% fan speed, so the lowest I get is 7v. I was disappointed to say the least, as I had planned from the start to run my AP-15's at 5v. As a band-aid I bought some fan speed reduction cables (3 pin extensions with resistors), but the GT's wouldn't even start with them installed. So, I'm reduced to just swapping out the fans.

Nah, you'd have to have doglike hearing. Silent room or no.
AP-15's are totally silent at 7v. They're under 1200rpm, which is more or less equivalent to the AP-13.

These fans all have the same blades, and the same bearings. The only difference is number of turns per spoke of the motor. That means, at equivalent speeds, all the GT fans will have an identical sound profile.

In short, I call shens on this bad connection guy.

The AP-15's are certainly not silent at 7v. No fan spinning at 1200rpm is silent. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have 3 AP-15's at 7v about 4 feet away, and I can clearly hear them. Are they quiet? Certainly. But they aren't silent, and they certainly aren't quiet enough for my tastes. They are very close however, which is why the few hundred RPM reduction I'd get with the AP-14's would be enough. At least at that point, they would be below the noise threshold of my pump.
But before you start calling shens, take a look at what your own computing past has been. If you've never owned a truly quiet system, then you can't really appreciate the just how "loud" AP-15's are. Yes, they are low noise fans...excellent for WC setups, but anything over 1100rpm is just too loud for me personally. Perhaps that's not the case for you, and that's completely understandable. I'd imagine most people would be very satisfied with AP-15's at 7v...I'm just not one of them :).

To put it in perspective, I built single fan setups for years. Setups so quiet you could hear the electrical noise from the power supply before anything else. You sacrifice a lot of performance to reach that level of noise, but it does give you an appreciation for low noise computing.

Throw an inline resistor in and you should be able to get them down to 800rpm np. Unfortunately that will prohibit you from turning them up to full speed without removing the resistor. If that's not a concern though, it's a pretty easy solution.

The AP-15's are certainly not silent at 7v. No fan spinning at 1200rpm is silent. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have 3 AP-15's at 7v about 4 feet away, and I can clearly hear them. Are they quiet? Certainly. But they aren't silent, and they certainly aren't quiet enough for my tastes. They are very close however, which is why the few hundred RPM reduction I'd get with the AP-14's would be enough. At least at that point, they would be below the noise threshold of my pump.
But before you start calling shens, take a look at what your own computing past has been. If you've never owned a truly quiet system, then you can't really appreciate the just how "loud" AP-15's are. Yes, they are low noise fans...excellent for WC setups, but anything over 1100rpm is just too loud for me personally. Perhaps that's not the case for you, and that's completely understandable. I'd imagine most people would be very satisfied with AP-15's at 7v...I'm just not one of them :).

To put it in perspective, I built single fan setups for years. Setups so quiet you could hear the electrical noise from the power supply before anything else. You sacrifice a lot of performance to reach that level of noise, but it does give you an appreciation for low noise computing.

I'm running my fans at 7.2v. They are actually all below 1180rpm(in fact all 6 are below 1150 except one is at 1175 or so). So 7v should bring them all at or below ap-13 speeds. They are completely silent already though, and well below the noise of my pump, which is an mcp655 turned down to 3000rpm. I used to think like you, and spent a bunch of money on some 900rpm fans and SR-1 Rads. Then I realized there was no difference in perceptible noise and went back to my GTX's and got some AP-15's. The loudest things in my system are the 7200RPM HDD's.

Maybe your fans need some oil?

Throw an inline resistor in and you should be able to get them down to 800rpm np. Unfortunately that will prohibit you from turning them up to full speed without removing the resistor. If that's not a concern though, it's a pretty easy solution.

Already tried, bought some of these - http://jab-tech.com/12v-to-9v-Cable-pr-2040.html
Fans wouldn't turn on at all. Very odd issue, as the resistors worked with different fans. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I'm running my fans at 7.2v. They are actually all below 1180rpm(in fact all 6 are below 1150 except one is at 1175 or so). So 7v should bring them all at or below ap-13 speeds. They are completely silent already though, and well below the noise of my pump, which is an mcp655 turned down to 3000rpm. I used to think like you, and spent a bunch of money on some 900rpm fans and SR-1 Rads. Then I realized there was no difference in perceptible noise and went back to my GTX's and got some AP-15's. The loudest things in my system are the 7200RPM HDD's.

Maybe your fans need some oil?

The thought of owning 7200rpm drives makes me cringe. We are coming from different worlds, my definition of quiet is obviously not the same as yours, and that's perfectly fine...everyone is a bit different. Perhaps I should have gone to more rock concerts when I was younger...might have solved my present dilemma.
Also, you usually can't oil ball bearing fans, the bearings are typically sealed. And due to the bearing placement (front and rear bearing), you'd need to take the fan apart to successfully oil both bearings, assuming you actually could (they are sealed).

Already tried, bought some of these - http://jab-tech.com/12v-to-9v-Cable-pr-2040.html
Fans wouldn't turn on at all. Very odd issue, as the resistors worked with different fans. Thank you for the suggestion though!
GT AP-15 startup voltage is 3.5v. You must have been under that...

The thought of owning 7200rpm drives makes me cringe. We are coming from different worlds, my definition of quiet is obviously not the same as yours, and that's perfectly fine...everyone is a bit different. Perhaps I should have gone to more rock concerts when I was younger...might have solved my present dilemma.
Also, you usually can't oil ball bearing fans, the bearings are typically sealed. And due to the bearing placement (front and rear bearing), you'd need to take the fan apart to successfully oil both bearings, assuming you actually could (they are sealed).
There's something wrong with your hearing and you should get a doctor to check you out. There might be something wrong with your head, because you're making wild assumptions and accusations about rock concerts and the person you're talking to. :rolleyes:

At 1 foot, with all my fans below 1200rpm, I'm getting an SPL of just under 24dBA. That's whisper quiet and almost imperceptible to the human ear. When I say I hear my 7200RPM drives, I hear the click of the heads moving around. You get that with ANY drive. Not to mention these are caviar blacks, so they're better acoustically than most cheap 5400-5900rpm drives.

Sealed bearing fans arn't exactly sealed. Pretending they are is... An obvious attempt to dodge the truth. Plus, you don't just want to lubricate the bearing, you want to lubricate the shaft to bearing contact. GT's use a nice metal c-clip that is designed to be removed and reattached for servicing. It's got little extra tabs for a c-clip removal tool to pop them off easily. This is atypical to most mfg's, standard fare is a cheap plastic washer with a cut in it.

Sorry, them's the facts. You remind me of them audiophile guys trying to tell you that you can hear the difference between CD and MP3 320, and that if you can't, you don't have expensive enough speakers.

Zoson, just stop. Your experiences =/= other people's. I too have invested extensive time in quieting my system because I am extremely sensitive to the slightest audible changes in tone and volume. I've gone through 8 power supplies due to squealing that nobody else could hear. I wasn't imagining things because not only is it finally gone on my 9th, but I was able to hear variations in the frequency of the whine these psu's were producing. The other 3 people in my household still swear they can't tell the difference. And no, they are not deaf from rock concerts. Hell, I worked around jet airplanes for 5 years.

Now I'm not trying to discredit your scientific prowess, as you are most certainly correct in the context of the average person. However, there's certainly room for extremes in this highly subjective field, and that's where you encounter cases like mine and apparently Bad Connection's. I have a fan controller on my GT's and can hear them all the way down to 900 rpm. I usually have them idle at 700rpm during day to day tasks and the moment they cross the 900rpm threshold I instantly note a change in decibel output. I find the tone perfectly acceptable and don't mine them running above 900, but the fact remains that I can hear the difference. Someone who is in fact bothered by the sound would definitely wish to keep them that low.

inb4 rage reply

I have to agree with bad connection. I have 6 ap-14s on my external 360gtx. While they are very quiet, in the middle of the night even turned down with a fan controller I can still hear them a few feet away. They aren't annoying at all but definitely not totally silent. I doubt you could have a fan that is truly silent in a very quiet environment that pushes any significant air. I can't hear them at all during the day when there is background noise - even at full speed.

Yikes...remind me not to cut that guy off in traffic!
Sorry everyone for taking this thread off topic, I didn't realize I was playing with high explosives up there...

We should give this typhoon of disagreement a gentle nudge back on topic. ;)

As others have said, Aquatuning is actually stocking the full line of these fans and has already sold out and restocked once since this thread started. If were an optimist I would take this as a sign that Aquatuning is aiming to do what other shops apparently can't and keep these things in stock.

We should give this typhoon of disagreement a gentle nudge back on topic. ;)

As others have said, Aquatuning is actually stocking the full line of these fans and has already sold out and restocked once since this thread started. If were an optimist I would take this as a sign that Aquatuning is aiming to do what other shops apparently can't and keep these things in stock.

Agree. Hopefully these GT's are as good as everyone has claimed over the years. If they are and Aquatuning delivers in a timely fashion they will be getting my business again. I"m looking to 86 as much fan noise as possible in our home office.

Received my 5x AP-15's this morning and installed them this evening. Indeed, these are well-built fans. They just feel incredibly solid. However, they are obviously not quiet at ~1850 RPM. Undervolting the fans helps the noise situation quite a bit.

I am using two in a push/pull configuration with my H80 (they are hooked up to the pump), and these fans are perhaps slightly quieter than the Corsair stock fans when the pump is set on the low fan profile. My CPU temps are now maybe a degree or two lower at load and about the same at idle, but are practically just as "loud" as the stock Corsair fans. The quality of the noise seems no different at these speeds.

On this low fan profile, the fans are still perceptibly audible from nearly 20 feet away. I am in a somewhat quiet, but not silent, apartment. If you are super-sensitive to noise, then the AP-15's are probably not for you unless you have a decent fan controller for all of them. If quiet without the use of fan controllers is what you want, the AP-15's are not for you. I'm guessing the AP-14's are still rather "loud", so you'd have to step down even further to the AP-13's or lower for truly quiet fans.

tl;dr - AP-15's are nice fans but definitely not unbelievable performers (at least in my case), cool slightly better at about the same noise level than stock Corsair fans on an H80 (low fan profile), requires quite a bit of undervolting to be considered quiet.

I guess everyones noise tollerance is different but in no way should these fans be called loud. Maybe your rads are restricting air flow and that could cause the fans to be louder then normal.. though in a push/pull setup that should'nt be. I went with a push/pull just to make sure to take off any pressure off the fans pushing/pulling air through my rads.

Got all 6 of mine in the mail today. That's 4 business days to my doorstep. Well packaged and no issues. I have no issues recommending this company at this time. Replaced the two CoolerMaster A12025-20RB-3BN-F1 1730rpm fans on my H70. Ran a Prime 95 test before and after and the temps are a little warmer.. perhaps 1c. Well within the margin of error for my unscientific test. That said these things at full speed produce about 1/3~1/4 of the noise the fans they replaced made. Silent? No. But very quiet IMHO. Matter of fact I'd call them freakin awesome! :D

My2c.

Got all 6 of mine in the mail today. That's 4 business days to my doorstep. Well packaged and no issues. I have no issues recommending this company at this time. Replaced the two CoolerMaster A12025-20RB-3BN-F1 1730rpm fans on my H70. Ran a Prime 95 test before and after and the temps are a little warmer.. perhaps 1c. Well within the margin of error for my unscientific test. That said these things at full speed produce about 1/3~1/4 of the noise the fans they replaced made. Silent? No. But very quiet IMHO. Matter of fact I'd call them freakin awesome! :D

My2c.
Thanks for getting back, I'll have to keep this company in mind for my next build

GT's, especially the AP-15 variant, are the best radiator fans I've encountered, and I've tried many. They're well worth the cost and their performance, especially compared to their low noise, is stellar.

I received my 6 today. Ordered them last Thursday but I guess technically thats still 4 business days shipping time. I am a little disappointed at how they are not "silent" at stock 12v but they move alot of air and are probably the best quality looking and feeling fans I have ever seen. My work mail meter weighted them in at 9.1oz, over 1/2 a pound. (I guess just like PSU's things like fans seem more expensive when they are heavy :D)

They smell like fireworks.

I just noticed on the back of the box they say they are 200g which is only 7oz, maybe we need to get our mail meter checked!

I received my 6 today. Ordered them last Thursday but I guess technically thats still 4 business days shipping time. I am a little disappointed at how they are not "silent" at stock 12v but they move alot of air and are probably the best quality looking and feeling fans I have ever seen. My work mail meter weighted them in at 9.1oz, over 1/2 a pound. (I guess just like PSU's things like fans seem more expensive when they are heavy :D)

They smell like fireworks.

Heh.. fireworks. :p

Not calling you out but as a general comment I'm not sure why people think these are silent.. they move air.. moving air makes noise. Nothing on the actual manufacturers specs claim these are silent. It does say on the box "comfortable tone" and I agree completely. Maybe years of using high speed delta's, working on jet aircraft and listening to music wayy too loud has finally killed my hearing. :D But these are the easiest on my ears 120mm fans I've ever owned. I hope the performance rumors hold up when I double these up on a bigger radiator.

Been running on 3 of them in main rig now for the whole night and so far Im becoming even more impressed. No they are not silent but the small noise they do make is a very soft, very low hum that is barely noticeable and non-intrusive. I might order more.

Heh.. fireworks. :p

Not calling you out but as a general comment I'm not sure why people think these are silent.. they move air.. moving air makes noise. Nothing on the actual manufacturers specs claim these are silent. It does say on the box "comfortable tone" and I agree completely. Maybe years of using high speed delta's, working on jet aircraft and listening to music wayy too loud has finally killed my hearing. :D But these are the easiest on my ears 120mm fans I've ever owned. I hope the performance rumors hold up when I double these up on a bigger radiator.

Make sure to get a high FPI radiator, which respond to these fans the best. Black Ice GTX radiators are probably your best bet. If you don't have quite the room, the Black Ice GTS radiators work as well.

Make sure to get a high FPI radiator, which respond to these fans the best. Black Ice GTX radiators are probably your best bet. If you don't have quite the room, the Black Ice GTS radiators work as well.

OT: Sorry to derail the thread and funny you should bring this up.. but I was looking into a Black Ice SR1. Better or worse than the GTX/GTS with the caveat I'll be running push pull with the GT's probably at full speed or darn close to it?

SR-1 has significantly less cooling capacity than a GTX or GTS.

Been running on 3 of them in main rig now for the whole night and so far Im becoming even more impressed. No they are not silent but the small noise they do make is a very soft, very low hum that is barely noticeable and non-intrusive. I might order more.

I received my order of 7 of these last night. All I can say is... wow.

Glad to hear you guys like them, we wouldn't steer you wrong!

OT: Sorry to derail the thread and funny you should bring this up.. but I was looking into a Black Ice SR1. Better or worse than the GTX/GTS with the caveat I'll be running push pull with the GT's probably at full speed or darn close to it?

SR-1 has a significantly lower FPI, and is geared towards low static pressure and slower spinning fans, as well as pull or push only. The GTX/GTS are high FPI and geared towards high static pressure, faster spinning fans, and push/pull scenarios. The Gentle Typhoons are high static pressure fans, and 1850 RPM is relatively fast. So for your scenario, you should definitely be looking to get the GTX or GTS radiators, especially in push/pull. Push/pull increases the overall static pressure available.

Back