Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850rpm fans - $14.81ea + $6 flat rate shipping

http://www.overclockers.com/65-fans-tested-megahalems/

I don't mean to threadcrap, I just want to provide an alternative in case anyone wants to go the cheaper route. Let me know if I've gotten anything wrong, but:

Cooler Master R4 / Sickleflow: 54* at 27.5 dB
Gentle Typhoon AP-15: 54.5* at 26.5 dB

Considering that you can get the R4 for between $6.50 - $9 shipped depending on color, you guys should give it some serious consideration before spending almost three times as much.

EDIT: It also ties the Scythe KamaFlow 2 and got the "recommended buy" award from XbitLabs.

Anyway congrats if you got this, I know it's a good deal for those who are looking for it.

What is the difference between C2R and L2R fans?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Isnt most of Aquatuning based in germany ? Would explain a surcharge for under $75 spent....

It would make more sense to just charge actual shipping cost than have some "surcharge". Just seems like kind of a crappy thing to do, especially since they lump it in with the shipping charge and don't actually explain why.

RPM: 800-1500 RPM
Air Flow: 70.5cfm/119.8cmh max
Noise Level: 17.9dB

i dont believe those ratings.
Not unless they are shipping them with noise cancelling headphones.

That company seems to have its testing labs in Imaginationland.

conteplating getting 6 more for my two 3.120 rads so i can go push/pull but not sure if cost/performance gain is worth it. I know this is a good deal and all but its still $100+ I would spend.

Funny. I'm running a dual gpu + cpu watercooling loop with 2x120.3 rads with i7 @ 4.2ghz. It hasn't occurred to you that the reason someone haven't heard of aquatuning is because they are selling crap, so... who's out of the loop again?

:rolleyes: Aquatuning is huge in Europe and pretty well known here. Crap? you haven't even been to the website to see what they sell have you? Only some of the best radiators in the world. HINT: Germany is way ahead of the US when it comes to watercooling tech. I drool over some of the stuff aquatuning sells.

It would make more sense to just charge actual shipping cost than have some "surcharge". Just seems like kind of a crappy thing to do, especially since they lump it in with the shipping charge and don't actually explain why.

Shipping from Europe isn't cheap. Even with the surcharge it's a very good shipping rate.

I was going to order a couple of these a few days ago but the $18 shipping price killed it for mw. I also have heard a lot about those Cougar Vortex fans being an alternative to GT's. I'll go for a couple of those.

I was going to order a couple of these a few days ago but the $18 shipping price killed it for mw. I also have heard a lot about those Cougar Vortex fans being an alternative to GT's. I'll go for a couple of those.

I'm going with four Cougar CF-V12HP's in push/pull config on my newly purchased H100. Seems like the best (quiet) performance for your buck. Plus if you look at the pictures I see a new kind of fan design I've never seen before.

http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/vortex-pwm.html

To each his own, Cougar it is for me! And this is coming from someone that has four GT's sitting here that I could use.

I'm going with four Cougar CF-V12HP's in push/pull config on my newly purchased H100. Seems like the best (quiet) performance for your buck. Plus if you look at the pictures I see a new kind of fan design I've never seen before.

To each his own, Cougar it is for me! And this is coming from someone that has four GT's sitting here that I could use.

Compare the two and let us know how they perform in relation to each other.

it certainly has a fancy site. Of course we know fan manufacturers never lie to us. :mad:

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on them after comparing them to your GT's. Which GTs do you have?

Compare the two and let us know how they perform in relation to each other.

This, if they are comparable that will be very good news since they have a 140mm model while gentle typhoons and panaflos do not.

I don't care for the orange/black color on the Cougars. I'll stick with GTs. :eek:

I don't care for the orange/black color on the Cougars. I'll stick with GTs. :eek:

Until www.martinsliquidlab.org tests the cougars you know you are getting the king of fans with the GT.

Be nice if the cougar does as good or better. We can always use better fans.

I currently have 3 GT AP-30s that move a LOT of air but are too loud for me even at the slowest speed from my fan controller. I bought 6 ap-14's the day before I saw this thread. Going to use them push/pull on a gtx360. I'm after silence more than absolute airflow.

I just setup my H100 in the last 24 hours. I used two of the H100's stock fans connected to two of my case fans in push/pull config for the mean time. Initially just to make sure the pump was working and to see what my temps are with the stocks fans, well two anyway, before moving to better fans.

The next part I don't like because a part of me doesn't want to cut out my Antec Twelve Hundreds two rear 120mm case fans as they can be adjusted from the back of the case (fear of change?). Still contemplating that removal. So Installing just two GT's seemed weird for the moment. That said I have four GT AP-15 1850rpm fans I could throw on it tomorrow to see how that helps with temps. I'm sure it'll be quieter but I want better temps too....lol.

Here's my temps from earlier while priming.

I guess what I'm wondering is are my temps going to get even better by switching out the fans or just a quieter experience?

This, if they are comparable that will be very good news since they have a 140mm model while gentle typhoons and panaflos do not.

im sure they are nice fans, but ehh i would like to see them rigorously tested. the claimed cfm output of their high-end model is ~thermalrights TY140 (arguably the best 140mm fan out) except 100rpm slower and 2 full db quieter

anyway ill shut up since this is OT

I bought 10 from aquatuning last time they had them in stock. 6 in use, 4 spares. Should be good for years to come now.
They were only about $14 a pop after tax/shipping last time! I expect the price will keep rising every time they get a new batch.

You seriously do not understand how amazing these fans are until you have them. They make all other 25mm fans seem like toys. These gave me a 2C idle coolant temp drop and 4C load temp drop over the YL D12-SH (~2200-2000RPM max).

Newegg has the cougars for 16.99, and I had a customer appreciation coupon for 20% off fans(makes them about 13.60 each), so I got some to compare with my AP-14s.

After I get them I'll weigh in.

I may be showing my age here, but I'm still quite content with my 12cmx12cmx39mm Panaflows on a bank of potentiometers.

...if these things ever die, I'll try out the scythes. Unfortunately my fans may outlive the company. :-(

I may be showing my age here, but I'm still quite content with my 12cmx12cmx39mm Panaflows on a bank of potentiometers.

...if these things ever die, I'll try out the scythes. Unfortunately my fans may outlive the company. :-(

Panaflos and Gentle Typhoons are all I run. They cost more up front but last for a decade plus.

Although I will say that I've done a couple of builds on the cheap for friends and the Yate Loon 38mm thick 1350 rpm units are a steal for 7 bucks. I just don't expect them to last much beyond a single build in that system, but for some people that's all they want.

Have GTs been around for 10 years?

They have been out a little over five, but if you've used one and witnessed the bearing performance then you should have little doubt they will make it. I also have Panaflos much older than 10 years.

A 100,000 hour MTBF is 11.5 years, and Pana's and GT's are some of the only fans I expect to actually meet that.

Here is some performance comparisons courtesy of Martin at XS, you can see why I swear by these two makes.
1airnoisesmall.png

Last edited:
it certainly has a fancy site. Of course we know fan manufacturers never lie to us. :mad:

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on them after comparing them to your GT's. Which GTs do you have?

I have four of the D1225C12B5AP-15's. I know they're quiet but a part of me wants more air flow than the fans that come with my H100 stock. The GT's will be quieter but push less air (I assume). I would love to find a middle ground where a great fan pushes more air than the stock fans but a little quieter than stock.

I would think the AP-15 at max speed would be more than sufficient for the H100. The stock fans that come with the H100 have a pretty terrible airflow-to-noise ratio but they do spin to 2500 RPM which is where all that airflow is coming from.

I bought two of these a while back for my H50, and a push/pull setup made literally no difference in temps, even when I put both fans on full speed. Am I doing something wrong or does a single fan already maximize the airflow?

I tested this while going for 5ghz on my 2500k so there was a lot of heat going through it :p

I bought two of these a while back for my H50, and a push/pull setup made literally no difference in temps, even when I put both fans on full speed. Am I doing something wrong or does a single fan already maximize the airflow?

I tested this while going for 5ghz on my 2500k so there was a lot of heat going through it :p

What temps and RPMs were you having before and after? These fans aren't really designed to increase cooling. Rather, they are made to provide the same about the amount of cooling but at a lower noise level. And I don't expect to see as much temp variation in water cooling setups (even if its a H50) compared to air cooled setups.

What temps and RPMs were you having before and after? These fans aren't really designed to increase cooling. Rather, they are made to provide the same about the amount of cooling but at a lower noise level. And I don't expect to see as much temp variation in water cooling setups (even if its a H50) compared to air cooled setups.
About 1800rpm for both fans, both off the motherboard header and plugged in directly. After about an hour of stress testing temps were 88°C, that plus the 1.495v I had to push to get it stable made me go back to 4.6ghz... 1.35v and 66°C make me feel much safer.

I just found it odd that I got the same performance with a single fan (push) versus a push/pull setup. Maybe the pump is the limiting factor?

http://www.overclockers.com/65-fans-tested-megahalems/

I don't mean to threadcrap, I just want to provide an alternative in case anyone wants to go the cheaper route. Let me know if I've gotten anything wrong, but:

Cooler Master R4 / Sickleflow: 54* at 27.5 dB
Gentle Typhoon AP-15: 54.5* at 26.5 dB

Considering that you can get the R4 for between $6.50 - $9 shipped depending on color, you guys should give it some serious consideration before spending almost three times as much.

EDIT: It also ties the Scythe KamaFlow 2 and got the "recommended buy" award from XbitLabs.

Anyway congrats if you got this, I know it's a good deal for those who are looking for it.
Xac, I can guess by your post that you have never owned a GT-AP15. Nobody would ever make a statement that the R4 is a comparable fan if they owned both.
period.

The R4 is just another toy in comparison to the GT's.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like these are back in stock!

EDIT: Ugh! I just bought 5 of them and threw in a ~$1 filler to get my order a shade above $75. Order total was $88.63, working out to $17.73/fan, which I think sounds fairly reasonable for these fans. In contrast, purchasing only 4 of them would have costed $80.50 for me. I figured spending $8 extra was well worth getting another fan.

Hopefully these things will make a difference in my setup. The stock fans on the H80 are way too loud at the highest fan profile and perform don't quite perform to my satisfaction on the low profile. Will set 2 of these up exhausting in push/pull on the H80 rad and the other 3 will be intakes. All of them, of course, will be on a fan controller, since these things are not supposed to be quiet at full speed. :D

Last edited:
R-Type - thanks for that chart. My S-Flex E's look horrible on that chart btw haha.
Flat slope...middle of the pack :(

Back